TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest SlowChemical6

The fans sitting ringside get the TRUE experience

Guest SlowChemical6

Some people are arguing that you can't objectively rate a pay-per-view if you were there. I would like to argue the opposite. For those of you who watched on pay-per-view, you will never be able to feel that crowd like I did. What you got on pay-per-view was actually a watered-down version of SummerSlam 2002. Just ask Pat Patterson. Being there and watching it at home on your sofa are two very, very different things.

I try to go to every Big 5 pay-per-view every year. I've been to some great ones: WrestleMania XIV, Royal Rumble 2000, WrestleMania X-7, WrestleMania X8, SummerSlam 2000...and I feel, without a shadow of a doubt, that by attending these pay-per-views in-person I am better equipped to rate them. For me -- and for a lot of people, especially the WRESTLERS -- crowd reaction plays a HUGE role in how good a match is. And trust me, you gotta be there to feel those really hot crowds. As insane as the crowds at WrestleMania X-7 and WrestleMania X8 and last night's SummerSlam come across on pay-per-view and DVD, it doesn't even come CLOSE to the true reaction.

The proof that this was an amazing pay-per-view is the fact that some of the people watching it on pay-per-view are calling it the greatest PPV ever, or at least one of the best ever. Now imagine how it felt to be sitting ringside.

I stick by my belief that the fans who sit ringside for these events get the true experience, not the smart marks sitting at home.

Guest FeArHaVoC

You already typed this in an other tread. Why start a whole new tread about Summerslam again?

Guest SlowChemical6

It's not about SummerSlam...it stems from SummerSlam -- Scott Keith's comments about the Nassau fans being "idiotic", and the smarks on this board claiming that I can't rate the show objectively since I was there -- but it's about the fans on the Internet vs. the fans who buy tickets. I say that the match and the crowd are not two separate things. I say that they are the same, that the crowd is a part of the match. And I say that those who felt the crowd AND saw the match are more qualified than those who just saw the match.

Guest kingkamala

If your so worked up about it why don't you take it to the No Holds Barred folder

Guest SlowChemical6

I'm not. Rant over. Plus, I've learned that speaking your mind and challenging the Vanilla Midget Love Club will only lead to a ban.

Guest kingkamala

Yeah it's probably a good idea, some people on this board are too uptight about insulting the Vanilla Midgets(Even though I'm a fan of Benoit and Malenko)

Guest CanadianChris
I'm not. Rant over. Plus, I've learned that speaking your mind and challenging the Vanilla Midget Love Club will only lead to a ban.

That's absurd. If you've noticed, the only posters who get banned are the ones who attack other posters or use abusive language.

I agree.....challenging others in the correct fashion will only lead to a good discussion. A ban only occurs if you say "Hey, fuck you buddy, I know what i'm talking about, you stupid bitch!"

By the way....how much money do you have to have ringside seats at all of these events, plus travel and accomodations?

....And I totally disagree with your idea on the crowd having a better way to judge a match.

Dames

Guest godthedog

first, there is no TRUE reaction to a pay-per-view. everyone's experience is subjective, whether they watch it live or on tv. best example: benoit/malenko at hog wild 96. the IWC and longtimes fans absolutely love this match, but the crowd hated it and booed when it went into overtime. now, by your standards, they just had a bad match. did they REALLY have a bad match? no, it was just a match. some people liked it, some people didn't.

second, if a ppv is one of the best ever, shouldn't it hold up to ALL types of criticisms & viewings, live & televised alike? and if someone's only basis for judging any ppv is what they see on tv, why should being 'watered-down' cloud the person's judgment on how to compare different ppv's? i thought the 2001 rumble was better than 2002 summerslam, and i saw them both live on ppv. how exactly does that could my judgment, if i saw them both the same way?

Guest SlowChemical6

I like RVD, Chris Jericho, Eddie Guerrero, and Chris Benoit. I am a huge mark for RVD and Y2J, and I love Chris Benoit's and Eddie's matches. But the minute I give anybody BESIDES them any credit (i.e. Brock or Test), it no longer matters and I get jumped on. Personally, I'm proud of the fact that I like a variety of sizes and styles, but that won't get you very far on this board. So I'm just going to leave it be.

Guest kingkamala
I agree.....challenging others in the correct fashion will only lead to a good discussion. A ban only occurs if you say "Hey, fuck you buddy, I know what i'm talking about, you stupid bitch!"

Here's an example

Good arguement: Dames I disagree Kamala was one of the most over heels back in his day.

Bad arguement: Fuck you and yo'mama and yo' sister and yo' grandma

Guest SlowChemical6

$600 for the seats, hotel prices can vary. I like to drive there and back on the same day if the event is within 4 hours. The travel packages are a lot more expensive, but they include a meet & greet, hotel accomodations, and you are guranteed ringside seats.

I was lucky this time and managed to score ringside seats on TicketMaster, so this was a fairly cheap trip.

I like RVD, Chris Jericho, Eddie Guerrero, and Chris Benoit. I am a huge mark for RVD and Y2J, and I love Chris Benoit's and Eddie's matches. But the minute I give anybody BESIDES them any credit (i.e. Brock or Test), it no longer matters and I get jumped on. Personally, I'm proud of the fact that I like a variety of sizes and styles, but that won't get you very far on this board. So I'm just going to leave it be.

It's that type of thinking that keeps this forum from growing into some good discussion. If you feel strongly about something, say it. Hey, I don't agree with half of the things you said, but I'm not going to crucify you for it. Anyone who goes out of their way to rebuke your argument without backing it up shouldn't be saying anything to begin with.

Dames

Guest Angle-plex

I rarely go to PPV's. I've only gone to Wrestlemania 14 and X-7. It just costs to much.

Guest evenflowDDT

I've never been to a PPV live, but I have been to RAW taping. It didn't really make much difference, except I got to see the HeAT matches a week before they aired (actually, since it was the RAW before a PPV, they were international HeAT and thus I never got to see them).

Anyway, I don't think it makes that much of a difference. You can say this is because I was watching "inferior matches", but your argument as worded should hold true for RAW as much as for PPV. In fact, if anything, I prefer watching on TV because then I always get a clear view of the action.

Guest Brian

I was live in Seattle and that didn't make the tag match or Rock/Benoit any better than they were.