TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Downhome

The Rock responds to last nights events at PPV...

Guest Downhome

The following is from 1wrestling, and is a recap of the WWE.com interview with The Rock...

WWE.com did an interview with Rock last night after the PPV.  The basis of the article was to get his reaction to how the fans reacted to him last night, and to also talk about his leaving to film his next movie, tentatively titled "Helldorado".  Rock will appear at a Smackdown The Vote rally today, then it's off to Hollywood to film.

They first asked Rock how he felt about the negative chants from the fans last night.  He said that he definitely heard what the fans were saying and that he "thought it was unbelievable in a great way. I absolutely love that. I thrive off that energy and that vibe."  He said he gets just as "geeked" when the fans are against him as he does when they are behind him.  He said they pay their money and they can do what they want.  He just feeds off of them reacting to his character, one way or the other.  He said that he thought that the match with Brock Lesnar was "tremendous".  He said that he thought all of the matches last night were.  He said that before the show, he, Pat  Patterson and Vince McMahon realized that the crowd could turn on him and they were ready for it.  

When Rock was asked why he thought the crowd reacted as they did, he said, "I don’t think it’s necessarily a New York thing as much as it is an attitude thing. It’s like two bulls clashing up against each other because, The Rock is all attitude. It’s typical in the entire northeast that the audience is very attitudinal. That’s why it’s just a New York thing. It’s Northeast attitude. But I don’t break. You won’t break me. And I’m going to wink at you all the way through the match."

WWE.com said that Rock was giving a lot of hugs and handshakes in the back, since he is leaving today for Hollywood.  He was asked what it was like to leave again.  "It’s difficult because I love this business." he said.  "I love wrestling. I grew up in it. That’s why I came back a month and a half ago. I’ve been pulling double duty. I haven’t had a day off since the day I came back. I’ve done it because I believe in the direction that the company’s going. I believe in what we’re doing with Brock."

He closed by saying that he will be filming into the first quarter of next year, so he won't be back for a while. He was then asked, "Will you continue to go by “The Rock” in your movies? Or will you switch to Dwayne Johnson? I know there’s been some talk about that." He responded, "Yeah, we have. But I’m The Rock. There can’t be but one Rock."

...I hope he got the message last night that fans are sick of his Hollywood ways. Either stay in WWE Rocky, or get the "F" out! This is great, right when WWE could USE a heel Rocky, he goes off and leaves for another six months, sheesh. I say end his WWE relationship to free up some money for someone who would actually *gasp* work for said company!

Sincerely,

...Downhome...

Guest Brian

He's going to be gone until a few months into 2003 so now is the time for the new guys to shine.

Bottom line....heel Rock or face Rock, the guy sells tickets. Until he stops becoming a draw, *which would hamper his movie career to begin with*, I don't think he's just going to drop wrestling cold-turkey.

Dames

Guest Big McLargeHuge

If the Rock turns heel he will officially dethrone HHH (although that's a joke)as my new God. He'd be that fucking awesome.

Guest Downhome
If the Rock turns heel he will officially dethrone HHH (although that's a joke)as my new God. He'd be that fucking awesome.

I think he did turn heel basicly, lol. The thing is, he isn't going to be around to actually BE a heel. Damn him, damn him and his Hollywood ways!

Guest Vern Gagne
...I hope he got the message last night that fans are sick of his Hollywood ways. Either stay in WWE Rocky, or get the "F" out! This is great, right when WWE could USE a heel Rocky, he goes off and leaves for another six months, sheesh. I say end his WWE relationship to free up some money for someone who would actually *gasp* work for said company!

Sincerely,

...Downhome...

Who could the WWE sign in The Rock's place that would draw has well and be able to have good matches like the Rock does.

Guest Nevermortal

Sincerely,

...Downhome...

Who could the WWE sign in The Rock's place that would draw has well and be able to have good matches like the Rock does.

Don't sign anyone else, make new stars from existing talent.

Guest Downhome

Sincerely,

...Downhome...

I don't think there is anyone out there who could come in and do that, at least not right now. I'm just saying that they could put the money to use by signing a few new guys, who they could groom to eventually become great draws. I'd much rather them release the Rock and then sign one or two guys who could over time become great money makers for WWE, and would be there for extended time, rather than just a month or two like Rocky now.

Guest Mystery Eskimo
..I hope he got the message last night that fans are sick of his Hollywood ways. Either stay in WWE Rocky, or get the "F" out! This is great, right when WWE could USE a heel Rocky, he goes off and leaves for another six months, sheesh. I say end his WWE relationship to free up some money for someone who would actually *gasp* work for said company!

Sincerely,

...Downhome...

Sick of his hollywood ways? This is a joke right?

If anyone genuinly does hate the Rock for making movies than they don't have the right to watch pro-wrestling.

Guest Downhome

..I hope he got the message last night that fans are sick of his Hollywood ways. Either stay in WWE Rocky, or get the "F" out! This is great, right when WWE could USE a heel Rocky, he goes off and leaves for another six months, sheesh. I say end his WWE relationship to free up some money for someone who would actually *gasp* work for said company!

Sincerely,

...Downhome...

Sick of his hollywood ways? This is a joke right?

If anyone genuinly does hate the Rock for making movies than they don't have the right to watch pro-wrestling.

Can you say, flame bait?

Yes I'm sick of his Hollywood ways. I'm tired of him leaving, then making yet another "huge return", only to leaven shortly thereafter once again leaving the company that he "loves" so much at the very time where it would be of great use to them to have him actually IN the company.

I'm a fan of his wrestling, not his movies. If he doesn't wish to contribute in the ring, to help the product, then I am VERY sick of his Hollywood ways.

Guest Mystery Eskimo

Hollywood ways? Like making movies? God, damn that Rock for those hollywood ways.

He does wish to contribute, hence he came back for a month, worked hard and put Brock over, giving Brock prestige no one else in the company could have done. He didnt have to but he did because he wants the WWE to prosper.

In a business where a huge proportion of employees cause trouble at one time or another, the Rock can hardly be grudged an attempt at another career.

Guest The Flying Dutchman

The Rock makes more money for the WWE by being in movies than he does by wrestling.

Just sayin'.

Guest Downhome

Am I the only one who sees the BAD in him coming back only for a month, and then leaving when WWE could REALLY use him?

Eventually the fans will tire of it, period. I'm starting to think they are already. Hell, EVERY ONE of my "mark friends" were pissed at Rocky for "having" to lay down for Brock last night. They want him gone, and wish for him to either stay away, or to stay in WWE.

Guest Mystery Eskimo

I'd rather have Rock for a little while then not at all. If he hadn't come back the SS main event would have been either Taker v Brock or HHH v Brock *shudders*

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen

Austin's more popular than The Rock is.

And sad to say "What?" was/is more over than anything Rocky's ever said. Hell, it's more over than half the roster.

Guest fairtoflair7

Well, what do you want to do? Just let him go???? This guy is the top guy in the business. He can get great matches out of anyone. You may not like him but he and Benoit are the top performers in the WWE. He will always be in the WWE. Just b/c he went to Hollywood doesn't mean you just let him go. I understand people want him to perform night in and night out but it happens. People will just have to step it up and fill the gaps. There are plenty of superstars who can fill the Rock's spot. A few that come to mind are Booker T, Benoit, maybe even Lesner but my point is...This guy is one of the greatest WWF superstars of all time and you just don't say Fuck off to him.

Guest DrTom
Am I the only one who sees the BAD in him coming back only for a month, and then leaving when WWE could REALLY use him?

Not entirely. I see where you're coming from, even though I can't say I agree. It does suck that he's leaving right after making what looks to be a decisive heel turn. But Rock makes money for WWE whether he's in the ring or in Hollywood, and if he can keep generating that money while taking far fewer risks with his body, more power to him.

I'll miss him, since he's gold on the mike and good in the ring. Maybe when he makes his next return, they'll set him up as a heel. It wouldn't be hard: just have his character be upset at "having" to come back to WWE when he's been doing so well in Hollywood. Get him over as someone who doesn't need the business anymore and resents it for that very reason, and I think it would work. And the fact that he keeps leaving and coming back would only reinforce that.

Guest Jobber of the Week

I'm tired of him talking about how much he appreciates the fans and then he keeps leaving when buyrates are down.

I also miss the $500 shirts, the $2,000 Rolexes, and phrases like "the biggest piece of trailer park trash walkin' God's Green Earth." All that stuff has faded away, partially due to being a face and partially since WWE decided to turn everyone into a walking billboard for merchandise (why can't someone wear something BESIDES their character's tee, now available at WWEShopZone.com?)

There's also Overexposed Babyface Syndrome. Hogan had this problem in the 90s, too.

Guest deadbeater

Jeez, a guy goes off to make a movie and you shit on him. The Rock is making at least $5 million a movie, minus WWE's cut. Upon getting that amount of money and hearing the fans in LI and other places, I and all of you would leave for Hollywood too. Is this jealousy on part of the fans?

Guest Mr. Slim Citrus
I'd rather have Rock for a little while then not at all. If he hadn't come back the SS main event would have been either Taker v Brock or HHH v Brock *shudders*

I'm not saying you're wrong, but what are you basing that statement on?

Guest El Psycho Diablo

I can't believe this "Rock is a peice of shit for going to Hollywood" stuff. Or wait. Around here, I can.

But I refuse to damn a guy to hell </jr> for wanting to further his OWN career while he has the oppertunity. Why would he want to go to Hollywood, you ask?

Life cycle. It's a hell of a lot longer of a life cycle.

You've all seen what happens when a wrestler gets disagreeable (Austin) or headed out of the company/buisness/active wrestling (Hart). There's only so long a person's body will last. Only so long a person's popularity will last. I will not blame a guy for using the fame he has to get much more money elsewhere.

Rock busts his ass every time he gets into the ring, jobs to anybody, and is there whenever they need him. He's the ideal employee..unlike some others I could name.

If the "fans" blame him for wanting to advance himself, and his lifestyle..they might as well blame themselves for being human. I know I'd do the same thing Rock is if I had the oppertunity. Something tells me most of you would, too.

..and all this "He needs to turn heel.." stuff..

Is there a smark approved face except for Benoit when he turns? It seems like every face sucks, and a heel turn is JUST what a guy needs. Sure did wonders for Jericho..oh yeah..

Guest deadbeater

What Jericho needs is to borrow Molly's pan...then he will be all right.