TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest ShooterJay

Ring of Honor- 9/21

Guest ShooterJay

I've been hearing a lot about Ring of Honor, and I've been dying to go to a show. I'm super pissed I didn't go to the Wakefield show, since I only live an hour from there. So I'm thinking of ponying up some disposable income and taking the trip to Philly 9/21. I'll have to probably reserve tickets in the next week or so, so what do you think of the announced card so far:

Steve Corino vs. American Dragon

-Corino is one of my favorite wrestlers, and the match will probably be great, and Dragon is an excellent worker, but for some reason, this match doesn't appeal to me a whole lot.

Takao Omori vs. Mike Modest

-From what little I've seen of Omori, (NWATNA #4 and 1 or 2 puro matches) he bores the shit out of me. Modest is extremely solid, better than Daniels all around IMO, but not "pay $200 bucks to go to South Philly for a night" spectacular.

Xavier vs. Low Ki- ROH title match

Never seen Xavier, but Ki is awesome (just from the NWATNA I've seen) can someone fill me in on Xavier?

Jay Briscoe vs. Red

I've been dying to see a Briscoe match since Best of the Best 1, and I've become a huge mark for Red through NWATNA, so this'll probably be a major selling point.

Tournament for ROH tag titles involving Da Hit Squad (never seen them, but I have a friend who has and says they're incredible), Dick Togo and Ikuto Hidaka (seen Dick in ECW and was very impressed, never seen the other guy) and Chris Daniels/Donovan Morgan (seen 4/5 Daniels matches and think he's great, haven't seen Morgan outside of maybe a Jakked jobber match)

The return of Spanky "The Show Stopper"

-Never seen him either. Details?

What are the chances of AJ Styles and the other Maximos showing up? Do they appear at every show?

Any recommendations on wheter I should take my Foley-esque wrestling odyssey, and info on the guys I haven't seen, would be great. Thanks.

Guest pete

I have never seen Xavier work so I can't comment on him. Spanky on the other hand I have seen about 6 times. He just puts together great matches. His psycho;ogy used in his matches are great.I say you should go. All the cards ROH put on tape have been great. Plus the feedback has been great everywher I have seen. Though this is the worst card that I have seen them announce.A tag tournament, they have yet to put out anything great in that division. If they even come close to where I live I'll go.(I doubt they ever will).

Guest Joe_G

"Takao Omori vs. Mike Modest -From what little I've seen of Omori, (NWATNA #4 and 1 or 2 puro matches) he bores the shit out of me. Modest is extremely solid, better than Daniels all around IMO, but not "pay $200 bucks to go to South Philly for a night" spectacular."

Methinks Omori's much better suited to tags, but he and Modest both work for Noah (not sure if they've encountered each other there, but I'd imagine so) so I think it'll definitely be better than Omori/Shamrock.

"Xavier vs. Low Ki- ROH title match--Never seen Xavier, but Ki is awesome (just from the NWATNA I've seen) can someone fill me in on Xavier?"

Puerto Rican worker who's a mainstay of the NY/NJ indy scene. Really one of the more underrated indy guys IMHO. Had a totally balls out ladder match with Low Ki a while back.

"Tournament for ROH tag titles involving Da Hit Squad (never seen them, but I have a friend who has and says they're incredible), Dick Togo and Ikuto Hidaka (seen Dick in ECW and was very impressed, never seen the other guy) and Chris Daniels/Donovan Morgan (seen 4/5 Daniels matches and think he's great, haven't seen Morgan outside of maybe a Jakked jobber match)"

Da Hit Squad mainly wrestles for Jersey All Pro. Really good at playing bully types and slapping around smaller teams. Stiff as hell and they'll take as good as they give.

Haven't seen DICK~! in a year or two, but he was pretty incredible last time I checked.

Hidaka had a few matches in ECW. I remember one from the TNN show against Tajiri. Wrestled for Battlarts as a shooter/highflyer deal. Real good.

Morgan had a Jakked match? Anyhoo, he won this year's Super 8 and also competes in Noah with Modest (they run their own promotion, Pro Wrestling Iron, in Cali).

"The return of Spanky "The Show Stopper"

-Never seen him either. Details?"

Trained by Shawn Micheals, trained with American Dragon. Had a developmental deal but got cut. Wrestles in Japan now and then. Lots of charisma, buckets of potential.

As for the 7 hour drive, it's your call. RoH is coming back to Wakefield in November if you think you can wait.

Joe

Xavier is one of my favs, ShooterJay. The first time I ever saw 'Ki work was with X, and their ladder match from the June 30th, 2001 ICW show is one of the best I've ever seen. Xavier is a solid worker with a good grasp of psychology and some cool moves. He won't fail to impress. He also had one of the best matches in the Super 8 Tourney with AJ Styles.

Speaking of the Super 8, Donovan Morgan won it this year, defeating AJ Styles in the finals. I was there, got pics and everything. He's a strong worker, of the Mike Modest type.

Da Hit Squad pride themselves on being the "stiffest team in the world today". They definitely have a lot of charisma, and are decent workers who know how to pop a crowd.

Spanky is just a funny, charismatic worker and the best worker to come out of the TWA or HBK's Academy. Haven't seen too much of him, but what I've seen is solid.

Dames

Guest converge241

i agree with Never.. that should be great

Xaiver didnt blow me away but hes not bad either.

Corrino, Modest, and Dragon are good reasons to go as well

Guest Rob Van Dam

i might go to the ecw arena the same night to 3PW to see Abdullah the Butcher, gotta see him at least once