TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest C.H.U.D.

DVD releases for 9/3

Guest C.H.U.D.

Well, August is over, but the huge release of DVD's isn't slowing down it seems. I can't afford all this stuff.

April Fool's Day

Very cool 80's slasher with a truly unique twist. The DVD is barebones, so I'm sure only the hardcore fans (like me) will buy it.

Baby: Secret of the Lost Legend

One of my favourite films as a child lands on DVD in fullframe, with no special features. Sigh.

Barfly

Funky little film featuring a great performance by Mickey Rourke and great direction by Barbet Schroeder.

Blade 2

Kick ass sequel to the kick ass original film arrives on a LOADED 2 disc special edition.

Cabin Boy

Cheesefest comedy featuring David Letterman & Brion James arrives on DVD in widescreen with a super low price tag.

Ernest Goes To Camp

Yes, the Ernest movies finally arrive on DVD. This one is my favourite, and it's very cheap. Suprisingly, it's in anamorphic widescreen.

Friday the 13th part VII: The New Blood

One of my favourite sequels to the slasher franchise comes on DVD, complete with horrible new cover art and not even a trailer. I've already replaced the cover with a custom one with the original artwork.

Friday the 13th part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan

Although not nearly as good as The New Blood, this sequel is still decent, especially the last 20 minutes (disregard the horrible ending). This DVD is also barebones, with lame new cover art (which I also replaced).

The Hills Have Eyes 2

Inferior sequel shows up on DVD in a fairly weak looking DVD release. I hope part 1 shows up eventually.

My Bloody Valentine

Another 80's slasher favourite of mine, arrives on DVD in (say it with me now), a bare bones release with lame new cover art. What is Paramount smoking?

The Prowler

Infamous, cult slasher makes a very well deserved debut on DVD in a very sweet looking special edition.

Shock Waves

Nazi zombie cult classic also finds itself released in a nice special edition.

The Toolbox Murders

This movie is pretty bad, but I still enjoy it in a "so bad it's good" kind of way. The film also get's a loaded special edition release from a new DVD company called Blue Underground, which is also releasing the Prowler and Shock Waves discs.

'Till next week.

Guest J*ingus

-I've actually been wanting to see Shock Waves. Forget this new trend of "slumming" zombie movies like The Dead Hate The Living which have video boxes which merely pretend to be complete made-for-video trash, I want the real thing, dammit! I want the Shock Waveses and Zombie Lakes of the world!

-Why the FUCK is THHE Part 2 getting released before Part 1?

-Ernest. Jesus. Poor Jim Varney. You know what he really wanted to do was Shakespeare? Also, since most of the Ernest flicks were filmed in and around Tennessee, you can't go into an indie comics or music store in Nashville without running into one of the series's regulars.

-What's with the incredibly spotty distribution of the F13th flicks? Which companies own the rights to which sequels?

-Cabin Boy rules the fucking world. "He knocked up a SHARK?!" Magnificent.

Guest evenflowDDT

Paramount has pretty much always sucked in regards to DVD. They have a great library but they don't know what to do with it and charge way too much.

That being said... Baby is on DVD now? Holy crap... I remember that from when I was a kid. Kinda creeped me out back then,.

Guest Karnage

Pulp Fiction (Fiction Pulpeuse) and Jackie Brown (Jackie Brown) for those who have not gotten it yet in Canada is out today also.

Guest C.H.U.D.
-What's with the incredibly spotty distribution of the F13th flicks?  Which companies own the rights to which sequels?  

Paramount owns the rights to F13 1 through 8 while New Line owns the rights to part 9 & 10 (Jason Goes to Hell & Jason X).

Paramount decided to release 2 F13 films every year 4 years ago, instead of doing one release like New Line did with the Elm Street films.

So when New Line releases JGTH and JX in October, all 10 F13 films will be on DVD. Whee!

CHUD, I haven't bought any of the F13 DVD's yet because Paramount is just way too overpriced for a barebones disc. Do you think its possible that now that all 8 of the movies they have the rights to are out, that Paramount will put out a box set or start making SE's? I don't want to get screwed over.. I've got the entire Halloween collection and the NOES Box Set and I'm dying for some Jason.

Dames

Guest Strike Force!

Rumor has it that Paramount will cease to include trailers in newly released DVDs now. Yet, they probably won't lower their prices. As long as people buy their movies, guess they won't change.

Guest BifEverchad
Pulp Fiction (Fiction Pulpeuse) and Jackie Brown (Jackie Brown) for those who have not gotten it yet in Canada is out today also.

wow Karnage...thank God!

Any idea where?

Future Shop perhaps?

Guest Karnage
wow Karnage...thank God!

Any idea where?

Future Shop perhaps?

Go to the USA and get it. The Canadian version has missing menus and it's not a digipack, its some sort of flimsy plastic material.

Guest C.H.U.D.
CHUD, I haven't bought any of the F13 DVD's yet because Paramount is just way too overpriced for a barebones disc.  Do you think its possible that now that all 8 of the movies they have the rights to are out, that Paramount will put out a box set or start making SE's?  I don't want to get screwed over.. I've got the entire Halloween collection and the NOES Box Set and I'm dying for some Jason.

There have been a lot of rumours going around about Paramount re-releasing all the F13 films as SE's, but then someone I e-mail talked to a Paramount rep who said they don't plan on re-releasing any titles with the exception of the Star Trek films.

Unfortunately, that means I can't give you a concrete answer. I guess it's a coin toss. I said F it, and bought 'em anyway, cuz I gotta have my Jason discs.

Guest MrRant

Does anyone know if they are going to re-release any of the Fletch movies? I mean $20 bucks for barebones is a little much.

Guest NoCalMike

Paramount needs to sell the rights of the F13 movies to Anchor Bay or Full Moon....where they will get SE treatment......I still have never seen the unedited cuts of ANY of them, but the extra gore instead of cut-away scenes sounds fucking great.....

Guest Strike Force!
Does anyone know if they are going to re-release any of the Fletch movies? I mean $20 bucks for barebones is a little much.

No. That's Paramount in a nutshell.

Guest evenflowDDT
Rumor has it that Paramount will cease to include trailers in newly released DVDs now. Yet, they probably won't lower their prices. As long as people buy their movies, guess they won't change.

Just when you thought they couldn't get any worse... I've only bought one Paramount DVD ever, and that was as a gift for a friend. It's a good thing Paramount hasn't put out any "must-haves".

Guest TheBlurricane

the definitely need to release unedited director's cuts of the Friday the 13th movies. I've heard that some of the best parts have been cut from those movies.

Guest C.H.U.D.
All I want to see before I die is Friday the 13th 3 in 3D.

I've seen it twice in the theatre in 3-D. Trust me, it's as cool as you think it will be. Especially with a packed crowd.

Guest Lethargic
CHUD, I haven't bought any of the F13 DVD's yet because Paramount is just way too overpriced for a barebones disc. Do you think its possible that now that all 8 of the movies they have the rights to are out, that Paramount will put out a box set or start making SE's? I don't want to get screwed over.. I've got the entire Halloween collection and the NOES Box Set and I'm dying for some Jason.

Dames

There IS a box set out with all 8 Paramount Fridays in it. I just saw it today. It was 159.99.

I just started my Friday DVD collection today with 3 and 6.

Guest Marshall

Also this week:

VULGAR

A View Askew comedy about a clown who gets gang raped by a man and his two sons. Did I mention its a dark comedy.

Guest Karnage
Also this week:

VULGAR

A View Askew comedy about a clown who gets gang raped by a man and his two sons. Did I mention its a dark comedy.

The DVD also has the Judge Not In Defense Of Dogma documentary which was something missing on the Dogma SE.

There IS a box set out with all 8 Paramount Fridays in it. I just saw it today. It was 159.99.

Where did you see this!?

Was that on sale cuz thats a bit steep?

Dames

Guest C.H.U.D.
Also this week:

VULGAR

The DVD also has the Judge Not In Defense Of Dogma documentary which was something missing on the Dogma SE.

I borrowed the Vulgar DVD from work and watched the Dogma doc, but I never got around to seeing the actual movie. I'll have to borrow it again sometime.

Guest Lethargic
There IS a box set out with all 8 Paramount Fridays in it.  I just saw it today.  It was 159.99.  

Where did you see this!?

Was that on sale cuz thats a bit steep?

Dames

I saw it on Columbia House's DVD club site. And it wasn't just a special or anything. It was an actual box set. I went to Best Buy, Circuit City and Media Play today and didn't think to look for it at any of them while I was there. haha