TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Sassquatch

Joe Madureira's Hard Times

Guest Sassquatch

From Newsarama:

Remember that videogame production company creator Joe Madureira essentially left comic books for? Well, the company – TriLuner, has run into some bad luck. This past week the company announced that due to lack of resources, they had to cease development of their initial game Dragonkind as well as close down operatiopns, and they don’t expect to start back up for the foreseeable future.

“The company was funded 100% internally, and without access to an external source of capital, we are unable to continue operating. This decision disappoints us as much as it probably disappoints all of our fans and supporters,” reads the company announcement.

One question already being asked is – could this mean a return to comics by Madureira, at one time one of these most popular artists in the industry? Newsarama.com contacted the creator to ask him, as well for comments about TriLunar…

“We indeed had to shut down TriLunar. However, it was an incredible experience for me,” responded Madureira. “I met and learned from some cool people, and it only strengthened my desire to work in the game industry.

“I will not be returning to comics full-time for the foreseeable future, though a couple of special projects here and there may not be out of the question. I'm looking at offers from several game development studios, and I should be signing with one of them any day now. This will not prevent me from working in comics, other than imposing considerable time constraints. I'm sure an announcement will follow, but I can't talk anymore about it just yet.”

Sass's thoughts: I was not a fan of Joe's work or his work ethic in regards to comic books. Joe is very talented and when if he could set his mind on something and not get up and leave six months later then Joe would be in a better position than he already is. I remember Joe's first work on Excalibur who I thought had promise with his art. But when he came to the Uncanny X-Men his evolution as an artist stagnated and Joe became lazy as well. He hit it big and Joe just seemed to ride the wave of success he was having with his run on Uncanny. His work on Battle Chasers was sub par and then his laziness got to him and soon Joe was taking off six months to work on "side projects." Soon it became a year that Joe needed off to "find himself" yet Joe still promised to work in comic books.

Soon the fans began to complain and Joe blamed everything and/or everyone for his inability to draw comic books. Joe went from being a kid with promise to being an unprofessional video gamer with no desire to finish up his requirements in comic books.

I do not respect the attitude Joe has taken over the last couple years in regards to his comic book work or his double-talking about commitments. If Joe can get his shit together and stay true to his promises then more power to him.

But right now, it seems like Joe got bit in the ass with the karma bug and hopefully he will rebound from this.

Guest gthureson

For those of us (namely me) who wouldn't know Joe Madureira if we hit with a car...what has he done?

Or judging from your post, what is he supposed to have done and reneged on it?

Guest starvenger

Joe's known for a stint on Uncanny X-Men and his self-owned Battle Chasers (a Wildstorm/Image title).

Guest Vyce

A HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA.

He deserved that.

He really disgusts me. He's got talent, but he's totally wasted it.

Guest starvenger
He really disgusts me. He's got talent, but he's totally wasted it.

Just remember that this is a guy who is in his mid-twenties and was basically a prodigy of sorts, drawing stuff for Marvel from before he could vote. So he's still got time to grow up and figure out what exactly he's doing.

That or he'll be like Rob Liefeld, without the Alan Moore stories to sell for extra income (see this week's SmartMarks Comics News Report to understand what I'm talking about.)

Guest pochorenella

I was really happy when he drew that Spider-Man cameo on Uncanny X-Men because I thought Marvel was testing him for a possible move to that book, so I was dissapointed it didn't happen. I liked his work and I think he flourished on Uncanny, but unfortunately his deadline issues became a problem for him and I'm not sure if his spirit is with drawing anymore. Too bad.

Guest HellSpawn

I still need to read the full post by Sass, but Joe Mad is maybe the first one on the new age of Great... but Lazy as hell pencilers.

Campbell, Charest, Anacleto

All of them are so f'n great, but IMO, if Joe Mad on his top days he choose videogames over penciling, well, I cant care about his "next job" or whatever.

Im sorry, but Im still pi$$ed about Wizard picking both Danger Girl and Battle Chasers on their reviews for 2 or 3 years onto the Summer/Year what to read previews even when neither made a single panel on months.

Guest Sassquatch

Never rely on Wizard for advice on what is hot/not. The times they have been wrong FAR outweighs the times they were correct.

You are better off asking your local comic book clerk what books to watch out for or else going to message boards and asking guys who make a living off of waiting/seeing what hot comic books to buy.

Guest Vyce

You know what really pisses me off? The bastard is SO lazy he won't even do covers that often.

I mean hell, sure Campbell is a lazy fuck who'd rather play "Tony Hawk's Pro Skater" than actually do a page of art, but occasionally he'll do a cover. Charest, when he couldn't hack it doing a full issue of WildCats, would draw a cover.

Mads is too fucking lazy for that! Do a goddamn pinup, you ass!

Guest areacode212
He really disgusts me.  He's got talent, but he's totally wasted it.

Just remember that this is a guy who is in his mid-twenties and was basically a prodigy of sorts, drawing stuff for Marvel from before he could vote. So he's still got time to grow up and figure out what exactly he's doing.

Besides, just because he isn't working in comics doesn't necessarily mean he's "wasting" his talent. He's just working in a different medium. He won't get the same acclaim from working in video games (quick, name an artist who worked on GTA3), but if it's something he finds fulfilling, good for him.

Guest HellSpawn

2 things.

I finally read the post (last time I was on a hurry), and Im sorry, I cant say "Yeah Screw Joe Mad", but, also I cant say "Poor Guy", like I said, he is a lazy guy, and thats not professional.

And Sass, I dont use wizard as a guide to what to get, I was just angry because they post those guys' books twice (at least) but screw over Spawn (my fav) or another good books.