TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Dmann2000

Aimee Mann

Guest Dmann2000

Okay given the massive Avril posts going around here (don't get me wrong I did the girl) I thought I give props to one of my fav singer songwriters Aimee Mann.

First of all we share the same last name :D

Second here songs wear their emotions on their sleve, she's not subtle and I admire that.

I heard P.T. Anderson (who used her songs for Magnolia and got me into her in the first place) say that she crafted tunes like The Beatles, and I can kind of see it.

Got to get the new album Lost in Space

Feel free to add your opinions gentleman (and any ladies out there)

Guest Edwin MacPhisto

Agreed. She's a wonderful songwriter, and she does have a sort of stellar popcraft about her--when I think "singer-songwriter," I usually immediately flash on either Aimee Mann or Elliott Smith.

I actually own none of her albums, and feel quite bad about it, since I have half her catalogue in MP3. Probably ought to remedy that sometime soon.

Magnolia was the first place I heard her stuff, but my personal favorite song is her take on "The Other End Of The Telescope," a sorta joint project between her and Elvis Costello.

Guest Incandenza

I'm a big Aimee Mann fan--she has a lovely, but understated, voice (don't expect any Celine Dion-style histrionics from her, no sir); in spite of its cool detachment, listening to her sing makes me want to crawl inside her womb and sleep peacefully. But Lost in Space is the sound of a very talented singer-songwriter coasting. There's a surprisingly dead-on review of it in the latest Rolling Stone (with the Vines on the cover), and anything else I could say would be mere repetition.

Guest Dmann2000

Maybe I need to pick up the one with the Dodo on the cover, I'll be honest I only own the Magnolia soundtrack, so I'll probably check I'm with Stupid out of the library and burn it.

Guest Incandenza
Bachelor No. 2 is the Dodo one, and yeah, you should definitely pick it up. Hell, pick them all up, but I just don't care for Lost in Space.

Guest areacode212

The only Aimee Mann song I can remember is the 'Til Tuesday hit "Voices Carry". What songs do you recommend I download?

Guest shlidgn90

i've been listening to lost in space since thursday. i don't think that aimee mann was coasting, it just that this album lacks the variety of different moods. he entire album has a solemn mood, and no upbeat songs.

Guest Incandenza

Songs I recommend? Um, "I Should've Known," "Save Me" and "Ghost World" are some personal favorites.

Guest Cancer Marney

I'll back up the I Should've Known vote too. Sweet song, and it has a Judas reference.

"I should've known it was coming down to this

I should've known you would betray me, but without the kiss...

And always isn't always when it's not your photograph that I've been keeping

But you still live in those days when I'd stay awake just to watch you sleeping..."