TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Dames Edna

Hypocricy at the Smarks Board?

Guest The Man in Blak
I take it you haven't read the warning on the CE forum. I'll reproduce it here, for your edification:
WARNING: About discussions in the Current Events folder

The nature of the discussions in this forum can lead to heated and even hostile posts. Please be respectful of your fellow posters and their beliefs, but also realize we are not going to stifle good discussions just because they've become heated. This is NOT a flaming folder and an attack on someone's personal beliefs is not the same as an attack on a poster themselves. Keep that in mind.

If you still feel there's a "double standard," I'm sure one of the mods will address that.

<flips her cigarette over her shoulder and wanders back to bed, this time to sleep>

It's not so much as a witch-hunt of your character (regardless of my personal dislike of your "procedure") as much as a candid observation about the attitudes of the board.

In any other case similar to yours, the mods have had no hesitation in banning people who have flamed outside of the flaming folder. In your case, however, you bring the funny and they felt it apropos to hastily throw up a disclaimer on a folder where, frankly, nobody should have to worry about ridiculous personal attacks.

There's a point where "promoting good discussion" becomes "enjoying watching certain people tear into others"...and that point is HERE. Instead of biting the bullet and tossing you a digital pink slip, they added a stipulation (or, more appropriately, a hack) to change Current Events and make your transgressions appear to be the new flavor of that folder.

And I don't think that's fair to anyone who has been banned on the grounds of "flaming outside of the flaming folder."

Guest J*ingus

The only other place that Marney gets riled up is in Current Events, and that is pretty much Dr. Tom's own personal little empire which he runs as he sees fit. If you don't like it, take it up with him.

And I think that "psycho maneater" would be a great custom title whenever you get bored with Mother Superior, Marn.

Guest Cancer Marney

<wakes up a third and final time, cranky, in order to do her legs and go to work in one hour>

Since this noble, high-minded crusade has begun, one question has been preying on my mind. It is this: if Marney died, would goodhelmet and The Man in Blak cease to exist?

Hey, you know what? I just realised... I don't care.

PS. Welcome back, Jingus!

PPS. I'm not a man-eater; I only do that for girls. And only if they ask nicely.

Guest MrRant
<wakes up a third and final time, cranky, in order to do her legs and go to work in one hour>

Since this noble, high-minded crusade has begun, one question has been preying on my mind. It is this: if Marney died, would goodhelmet and The Man in Blak cease to exist?

PPS. I'm not a man-eater; I only do that for girls. And only if they ask nicely.

And to think... not on AIM to chat with the Reverend.

Guest Cancer Marney

And another thing.

frankly, nobody should have to worry about ridiculous personal attacks
Y'know, if you want a double standard, you don't even have to look as far as CE. I've been called a "worthless cooze," a "fucking bitch," and a "stupid cunt" countless times on this board. I've never complained, and I've never even considered asking a mod to ban those people, despite the fact that I could easily have argued that sexist slurs are far more basic and thus at least as offensive as racist slurs, if not more so. Why? Simply because getting offended isn't one of my primary goals in life. It does appear to be yours, though, since you're working so very hard at it. No one could be such a weepy, whiny, shrilly indignant little shit without putting in considerable effort. Which brings to mind this question:

Why are you such a goddamn pussy?

At least I would have an excuse.

Guest Cancer Marney
Ugh.. PST?  You only gots an hour

EST. It's 0635 here. I'm having my coffee now, then I'll be off.

Guest Cancer Marney
It's not so much as a witch-hunt of you... I don't think that's fair to anyone who has been banned on the grounds of "flaming outside of the flaming folder."

One last point. You'd be more credible if you were honest enough to admit that it IS a personal witch-hunt. (Ooo, another sexist expression! Someone call in the fucking Marines!) I mean let me get this straight. You're saying that flaming SHOULDN'T be allowed, and at the same time you're so concerned about the rights of previous flame-writers that you take up a crusade on their behalf, despite the fact that they are all long gone, couldn't care less if they have any degree of maturity at all, and couldn't possibly be affected IN ANY WAY by someone banning ME even if they did?

Whatfuckingever, you lying, cowardly jackass.

Right, my driver's here. Time to go have arguments which are actually meaningful now.

Guest Agent of Oblivion
I've been called a "worthless cooze," a "fucking bitch," and a "stupid cunt" countless times on this board.

Allow me to be the first to call you a "Psychotic Snatch with an extensive collection of broken and sticky Harry Potter brooms."

In fact, you might be bipolar or schizophrenic. Maybe you should take some Prozac. heh heh heh. :D

Guest Angle-plex
This is entirely contained in the NO HOLDS BARRED folder, so why would a mod ban him?

So, kind of like when I was banned from WDI, huh?

Guest B-X

That has to be one of the worst arguments I've ever seen you put forth.

Guest DrTom
In any other case similar to yours, the mods have had no hesitation in banning people who have flamed outside of the flaming folder. In your case, however, you bring the funny and they felt it apropos to hastily throw up a disclaimer on a folder where, frankly, nobody should have to worry about ridiculous personal attacks.

Eh. Personally, I've always thought flaming was overrated as a bulletin board offense. I find trolling a bigger problem and one I'm more likely to ban someone for. It's not that anyone "brings the funny," MIB, it's that any discussion of politics and important issues get into people's core beliefs, and the debates can sometimes become heated and hostile. I've posted in plenty of politics-themed forums over the years, and this is always the case. Our forum is mild compared to several of the ones I've used in the past. There have been a few posts which were probably over the top, but I've always thought people should ignore tone and respond to content, and not be crybabies because someone called them a name. I've *always* handled CE this way, so it's far from something new, and it's certainly not for the benefit of a few people.

Guest DrTom
The only other place that Marney gets riled up is in Current Events, and that is pretty much Dr. Tom's own personal little empire which he runs as he sees fit. If you don't like it, take it up with him.

I'd like to take this opportunity to discourage this perception, and the recommended course of action. It's nothing against you, Jingus, but I'm tired of people looking at CE as my little sandbox. Yes, I WAS the moderator for it back in the days of local moderators, but since the move to Invision, we're all global mods. I guess I'm the most visible staff member in that forum, and people can certainly come to me with whatever problems they may have. However, any moderator is free to act within the forum, and they can be approached about any problems just as easily as I can.

Guest bps "The Truth" 21

Why is it that whenever a mod on this board makes a decision, the WDI B team jumps into action to discuss how much this board sucks?

Grow up.

Or move on.

Guest EL BRUJ0

Once again:

This thread is ghey.

As you were people.

That is all... or is it?

Guest DrTom
Why is it that whenever a mod on this board makes a decision, the WDI B team jumps into action to discuss how much this board sucks?

Because some people are only happy when they're bitching about something, BPS. It probably helps that they're bitching about authority figures, since that creates some kind of "rebel" image. I don't think I need to add the "without a clue" to that, because it's generally presumed.

Just imagine Garbage's "Only Happy When It Rains." If it helps you (and it certainly helps me), imagine Shirley Manson singing it in one of her tiny skirts.

Guest B-X

Grow up.

Or move on.

If I recall correctly, you were the Stevie Ray of the WDI B Team.

Oh, I'm sorry. I forgot you were an "established" poster. Please, I beg forgiveness of you.

Guest The Flying Dutchman

Just a thought for my fellow WDI posters...they are right. If you don't like the board, don't visit it. If you think there are changes that can be made, express you opinions, but don't be hostile about it.

Guest The Man in Blak

"He who knows not and knows not he knows not,

He is a fool - Shun him."

Vague philosophical tripe or wildly egotistical jibberjab? I'll leave it as an exercise to the reader to determine whether this statement actually means anything.

And sister, don't flatter yourself. I've been trumping up the hypocrisy here for months in an ultimately futile attempt to get things changed around here - you're just Exhibit C in my $5.00 tour of "The Wild and Wooly Bullshit At The Smart Marks."

But thank you for playing this round and, when we get back from our commercial break, she'll get another crack at the big money!

Y'know, if you want a double standard, you don't even have to look as far as CE. I've been called a "worthless cooze," a "fucking bitch," and a "stupid cunt" countless times on this board. I've never complained, and I've never even considered asking a mod to ban those people, despite the fact that I could easily have argued that sexist slurs are far more basic and thus at least as offensive as racist slurs, if not more so. Why? Simply because getting offended isn't one of my primary goals in life. It does appear to be yours, though, since you're working so very hard at it. No one could be such a weepy, whiny, shrilly indignant little shit without putting in considerable effort. Which brings to mind this question:

Why are you such a goddamn pussy?

At least I would have an excuse.

Hey - for once, I agree with you. The double standards are everywhere here - but I'll get to that later on.

Otherwise, I truly admire your emotional stability to fend off petty insults when almost nobody has taken the real time to flame you back. You're a real trooper, Marney, and I suppose I could take some petty pleasure in knowing that, amidst all these insults that you've endured, I was able to warrant three separate posts from you.

Don't get ahead of yourself, though. Your ridiculous shit offends me only in the fact that I have to read through a pretentious thirty-five word blast to see you call somebody a crackbaby for disagreeing with you - it's a waste of my time.

And it's depressing to see someone walk onto the internet and think that they've got a right to violently assert their unfathomable and incomparable intelligence upon us poor idiots. Hell, let's just throw one-liners back and forth - all that bold impudence makes me feel like tunin' up James Brown and dancing around the room singing, "Say it loud - I'm a bitch and I'm proud!"

What is your motivation, Marney? Is it just that people in real life don't feel like putting up with your shit? Or are you just not able to come back with the same razor-sharp wit when you're looking someone straight in the eyes? What's your damage here?

If you really cared about promoting the validity of your beliefs, I would think that you could maintain composure and continue offering strong rebuttals to opposing points. But, gosh dang it, why do that when you can lay into somebody with one-liners you overheard at the coffee shop?

I mean, the amount of time you spend making up colorful, pretentious ways to dig into somebody truly makes you the pot calling the kettle black when it comes to measuring effort for worthlessness. I do like you using that crazy buzz word, though - "indignant" fits this situation very nicely.

But I guess it's refreshing to know that you at least have some outlet for all this pent-up frustration - nobody would want you to throw yourself off a cliff to save yourself from the apparent pains and atrocities that this cursed earth has subjected your mind to. It's just too bad that outlet involves the intellectual equivalent of stomping on ants for pleasure...because that unbridled intelligence could be used for so much more productive than chewing out people on an internet message board.

Worthless cooze indeed.

One last point. You'd be more credible if you were honest enough to admit that it IS a personal witch-hunt. (Ooo, another

sexist expression! Someone call in the fucking Marines!) I mean let me get this straight. You're saying that flaming SHOULDN'T be allowed, and at the same time you're so concerned about the rights of previous flame-writers that you take up a crusade on their behalf, despite the fact that they are all long gone, couldn't care less if they have any degree of maturity at all, and couldn't possibly be affected IN ANY WAY by someone banning ME even if they did?

Whatfuckingever, you lying, cowardly jackass.

Right, my driver's here. Time to go have arguments which are actually meaningful now.

*shivers*

I guess that's what I get for trying to be the better man here.

I don't know whether to take your comment about the term "witch-hunt" as a sarcastic quip or a purely misguided attempt to paint me as a sexist asshole...because lord knows you haven't had problems waving around your feminist merit badge for all to see.

But I do forgive you for not realizing that I've tread upon this argument before and it wasn't exactly a pro-banning stance back then either. As I said in my first rebut, this is an observation on the attitudes of some of the mods here. If you want a further clarification, then just sit back and read the rest of the post.

Just further proof that ignorance can be more dangerous than intelligence.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"He who knows not and knows he knows not,

He is simple - Teach him."

The fact that you had to put a disclaimer on a folder that should be promoting discussion of all views isn't quite Shakespearean tragedy...but it's close. The fact that it blatantly caters to certain people, people who aren't mature enough to help educate those who are ignorant of particular facts, definitely sends a message to those "lesser unfortunates" who might want to throw their hat in the fold.

I just hope that wiping out the newbie quotient doesn't rip a gaping hole in your intellectual discussion.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"He who knows and knows not he knows,

He is asleep - Awaken him."

Personally, I've always thought flaming was overrated as a bulletin board offense.

All right, sounds good.

I find trolling a bigger problem and one I'm more likely to ban someone for.

Well, since we've got such a sticky definition of trolls, things become a little more complicated, no?

It's not that anyone "brings the funny," MIB, it's that any discussion of politics and important issues get into people's core beliefs, and the debates can sometimes become heated and hostile. I've posted in plenty of politics-themed forums over the years, and this is always the case. Our forum is mild compared to several of the ones I've used in the past.  There have been a few posts which were probably over the top, but I've always thought people should ignore tone and respond to content, and not be crybabies because someone called them a name.

You've seen it everywhere and now you can see it here - the "everybody else does it so why can't we?" defense. Personally, it doesn't hold water, but I suppose that if the constituents of CE really want their folder to have that kind of reputation, then I can't really argue with that.

I've *always* handled CE this way, so it's far from something new, and it's certainly not for the benefit of a few people.

Actually, you're wrong. Putting the disclaimer up is a benefit to all those who may want to participate in a political discussion but don't want to put up with ludicrous crap from opposing posters - this way, they know to wholeheartedly take their game somewhere else.

And if that's the way it has been, then I'm quite glad I don't wander in there.

"He who knows and knows that he knows,

He is wise - follow him."

I'd like to take this opportunity to discourage this perception, and the recommended course of action. It's nothing against you, Jingus, but I'm tired of people looking at CE as my little sandbox. Yes, I WAS the moderator for it back in the days of local moderators, but since the move to Invision, we're all global mods. I guess I'm the most visible staff member in that forum, and people can certainly come to me with whatever problems they may have. However, any moderator is free to act within the forum, and they can be approached about any problems just as easily as I can.

Grow up.

Or move on.

So, between three different mods, that's the best answer that you can all collectively give me?

Jesus tapdancing Christ. ™

At least Tom offered a rebuttal to the attitudes within Current Events. The rest of you either politely backed out, hastily deferred the issue to Tom (poor guy), or tried to downplay the whole thing as being irrelevant because I once posted at World Domination Inc.

PATHETIC.

Absolutely none of you really want to acknowledge or take responsibility for the inherent double standard you've got running. You protect Marney's right to express herself however she'd like to within Current Events (which you even admit you feel you've got no responsibility to, despite the fact that you're all global mods) but you shove Smarkzone out the door for posting a damn thread about the Warrior. THE ULTIMATE WARRIOR.

Which is more ridiculous? The fact that Smarkzone continues to want to post here or the fact that the mods keep banning him over and over again with the requisite catch-phrases and celebration?

I would have leaned to the latter wholeheartedly but with the smug attitude of some of the moderators recently, the former ain't lookin' so great either.

And I wholeheartedly apologize for giving a shit about a place that I have came for entertainment over the last year, because apparently nobody else wants to. You wonder why everybody's been splitting off from the original Smarksboard community? WDI? The Underground Smarks? The Sanctuary?

It's the fact that you almost have to wear an eco-suit to wade through this kind of bullshit. It's the fact that, once upon a time, the mods rarely stepped in and trusted their community to allow discussions to flourish or die on their own merit. It's the fact that the mods rarely chucked somebody out the door for their "insolence" because, even though they may not have been a positive contributor to particular discussions, they were a part of the community, for better or for worse. It's the fact that you're almost reaching to extremes to tell people how to post for fear that something outside of the advertised norm might fall through your fingers.

And for god's fucking sake, BPS, you know as well as anybody that WDI is no better. I can't even believe that, after (rightfully) making such a huge scene about BDub being allowed back into the fold, that you can just sit back and smirk when your own board is under attack for the same exact shit. I think I've posted at WDI three times in the last three months and, because you ironically still hold onto your issues with them, you still just happily dub the post as irrelevant under the oh-so-clever disguise of the "WDI B-Team" and go on as though the old "Established Poster" argument against stereotypes was just a huge running joke. But I guess that since you still haven't gotten over yourself, I should just give up all hope and just start writing up the epitaph for the pre-mod BPS who didn't phone in responses to important issues that didn't involve three letters.

Just utterly pathetic.

Guest The Flying Dutchman
Okay, everyone just needs to calm down...eat some fruit or something.

Guest bps "The Truth" 21

Your right MIB.

I had a problem with WDI.

So I stopped going there.

Plain and simple.

So if people have a problem with this board...don't come here.

It really is that simple.

Guest DrTom
The fact that you had to put a disclaimer on a folder that should be promoting discussion of all views isn't quite Shakespearean tragedy...but it's close.

I don't think it's a tragedy at all, actually. The problem is, the CE forum contains a lot of threads about politics, religion, patriotism, and the like -- topics that dive right into people's core beliefs. Any discussion like that has the chance to become heated. I have no problem with that. Unfortunately, some people are thin-skinned and can't look past one instance of someone disagreeing with them strongly. Example: EricMM made a post in which he basically said that every American should be required to serve 2 years in the military. Not many agreed with him, and FK Teale made a post, implying he got the opinion from watching Ben-Hur one too many times, and closed by calling Eric an "ass."

Was it necessary to call him an ass? No. However, I don't think it was unwarranted, nor do I think it was over the top, beyond the pale, or whatever idiom you want to use. (To me, a true flame has to be both unwarranted and completely out of line.) Eric, however, had a small fit over being called an ass by a stranger on the internet.

Maybe I have a perspective other people don't, but being called a name by a person I've never met over the internet doesn't matter to me. I've never seen why people take themselves so seriously that they get bent out of shape about it. That's why I think flaming is an overrated offense, and I think there are more people who are fragile and thin-skinned than there are people who are out to fire off as many flames as they can.

The debate over the alleged flaming in CE started when Goodhelmet posted a thread in General Chat about it. I'm not going to rehash it here, but you can check the "Dr. Tom" thread (in Site Feedback, I think), and the controversial posters thread here in NHB to learn about my feelings on the issue. The disclaimer was added so that people would know in advance they might be walking into a warzone. (I think in the "Dr. Tom" thread, GH asked if the CE forum should be exempt from the rules of the board, specifically the no-flaming rule, and I said yes because of the nature of its content.)

So that's where I'm coming from on this whole thing.

Well, since we've got such a sticky definition of trolls, things become a little more complicated, no?

To borrow a phrase from Associate Justice Stewart Potter, USSC, about pornography: "I shall not today attempt further to define the kinds of material, but I know it when I see it." I know it's a nebulous answer, but it's the best one I can give you. Besides, a lot of terms relating to "netiquette" are imprecise by their very natures.

You've seen it everywhere and now you can see it here - the "everybody else does it so why can't we?" defense.

I guess that ends up being what it is, but the important point is that the topics being discussed, by their natures, lead to emotional and heated arguments. People who are used to posting in political forums take it in stride. Obviously, not everyone comes from that background, so the disclaimer was added after a couple people complained. The disclaimer has since been beefed up to make things clearer. It's for the benefit of the people who aren't used to a forum of that type; this way, they know what they're getting into, and maybe that will prevent them from whining to a moderator because someone said their religion had a long and very bloody history.

I suppose that if the constituents of CE really want their folder to have that kind of reputation, then I can't really argue with that.

The core posters in CE have expressed no problems with the way the forum is conducted. Disagreements arise, and sometimes they get rather hostile, but the people involved always kiss and make up within a day of their heated exchange. Despite many philosophical differences, no one there genuinely dislikes anyone else there. This is what people who complain about the forum without posting in it miss.

At least Tom offered a rebuttal to the attitudes within Current Events.

I've always been a stand-up kind of fellow. And, rightly or wrongly, CE is seen as *my* forum, despite the fact I have no special claim to it. Back in the days when it said "Forum led by: DrTom" on the forums list, I could understand that perception. Interestingly, I have a lot more power to do something about problems as a global mod, but the perception is that CE is still my forum. If people really want to blame me for the way they think things are there, that's fine, but they should also realize that I'm far from the only person who can do something about it.

Absolutely none of you really want to acknowledge or take responsibility for the inherent double standard you've got running.

No, I've acknowledged it. I've said the CE forum should be exempt from the no-flaming restriction because I believe the nature of the content and discussions is what's important. The disclaimer was basically a compromise.

but you shove Smarkzone out the door for posting a damn thread about the Warrior. THE ULTIMATE WARRIOR.

Smarkzone has been banned so many times, I don't even remember what the first offense that got him kicked out was. It's our policy, though, to continue to ban previously banned posters who return under new usernames, once we can confirm that Poster X is indeed Banned Poster A. Smarkzone just can't take a hint, which is not the fault of the moderating team. He comes back on, acts like a jackass and a troll, and gets banned, yet refuses to take the hint that we simply don't want him here. That's his fault, and you can blame him if he stick around long enough the next time he manages to temporarily circumvent our ban filters.

EDIT:

One other thing I forgot to rebut...

It's the fact that the mods rarely chucked somebody out the door for their "insolence" because, even though they may not have been a positive contributor to particular discussions, they were a part of the community, for better or for worse.

Personally, I have never banned someone for their "insolence." The only times I've banned people for what they've said have been a few cases of racist remarks, as well as a couple posts filled with completely over-the-top personal attacks made for no reason (and thus, legit flames). Basically, we've been banning a lot of trolls recently. I haven't seen any mod ban anyone for posting an unpopular opinion, or for questioning certain practices, or anything else that could reasonably be termed "insolent."

I also don't think being "a part of the community" is a reason for keeping anyone around. That's just a yes-but that could be used in the case of anyone who was banned. "Soandso posted blantant racist remarks!" "Yes, but he is a part of the community." Parasites become part of the host organism in a way, but that doesn't mean their presence is desireable or beneficial. People whose only influence on the community is a negative one shouldn't be a part of it anymore. If that means I have a "smug attitude," well... I guess I have a smug attitude, then.

Guest Cancer Marney

I think the most comical part of this entire thread is that the holy war is being led by people who HAVE NO INTEREST in the forum.

Just go away, you prats.

Guest Cancer Marney
I've been trumping up the hypocrisy here for months in an ultimately futile attempt to get things changed around here
So, you've been wasting your time for months on end (where were you when FK Teale was posting, by the way?) trying to change something that won't ever make a rat's ass worth of difference to anyone even if you succeeded, and you've failed.

But you're still trying anyway, even though no one appreciates your noble endeavour.

I really can't imagine anything more pathetic than this.

it's depressing to see someone walk onto the internet and think that they've got a right to violently assert their unfathomable and incomparable intelligence upon us poor idiots...
It is? Good. Mission accomplished.

I've tread upon this argument before and it wasn't exactly a pro-banning stance back then either. As I said in my first rebut, this is an observation on the attitudes of some of the mods here.
BS. You want me banned. And you STILL don't have the guts to admit it.

I think the mods have answered your whiny complaints adequately. If you're still unsatisfied, clearly, you aren't happy here and things aren't going to change.

Why are you still on this board again?

Incidentally, I really can't think of anything more "pretentious" than seeding your post with trite zen musings on wisdom. Nice to see your hypocrisy pervades all aspects of your character.

Ok, I've been sitting here on the sidelines, listening to this debate go on for days and frankly, its getting QUITE tiresome. If you have a problem with the way the mods are moderating, take it up with them. If you aren't satisfied with the answer and want more clarification, you take it up with ME.

Further more, seeing as how this "debate" keeps going on in circles without getting anywhere, I'm closing it or should I say, mercy killing it. If you have any concerns, talk to me in Site Feedback. That's what its there for. I'll answer whatever concerns you have there.

Dames