TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Cancer Marney

9/11

Guest Cancer Marney

O! say can you see by the dawn's early light,

What so proudly we hail'd at the twilight's last gleaming?

Whose broad stripes & bright stars, thro' the perilous fight,

O'er the ramparts we watch'd, were so gallantly streaming?

And the rockets' red glare, the bombs bursting in air,

Gave proof through the night that our Flag was still there.

O! say does that star-spangled banner yet wave,

O'er the Land of the free and the home of the brave?

On the shore, dimly seen through the mists of the deep,

Where the foe's haughty host in dread silence reposes,

What is that which the breeze, o'er the towering steep,

As it fitfully blows, half conceals, half discloses?

Now it catches the gleam of the morning's first beam,

In full glory reflected now shines on the stream,

'Tis the star-spangled banner - O! long may it wave

O'er the land of the free, and the home of the brave.

And where is that band who so vauntingly swore

That the havoc of war and the battle's confusion,

A home and a country, shall leave us no more?

Their blood has wash'd out their foul footstep's pollution.

No refuge could save the hireling and slave

From the terror of flight or the gloom of the grave,

And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave

O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave.

O! thus be it ever when free men shall stand

Between their lov'd homes and the war's desolation.

Blest with vict'ry and peace, may the Heav'n-rescued land

Praise the Pow'r that hath made and preserv'd us a nation.

Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,

And this be our motto - "In God is our trust;"

And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave

O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave.

Guest ScorpionDanceofDeath

The first time I heard the following song after the events that took place a year ago, I shed tears for the first time in years (not including 9/11).

O beautiful for spacious skies,

For amber waves of grain,

For purple mountain majesties

Above the fruited plain!

America! America!

God shed his grace on thee

And crown thy good with brotherhood

From sea to shining sea!

O beautiful for pilgrim feet

Whose stern, impassioned stress

A thoroughfare for freedom beat

Across the wilderness!

America! America!

God mend thine every flaw,

Confirm thy soul in self-control,

Thy liberty in law!

O beautiful for heroes proved In liberating strife.

Who more than self the country loved

And mercy more than life!

America! America!

May God thy gold refine

Till all success be nobleness

And every gain divine!

O beautiful for patriot dream

That sees beyond the years

Thine alabaster cities gleam

Undimmed by human tears!

America! America!

And crown thy good with brotherhood

From sea to shining sea!

O beautiful for halcyon skies,

For amber waves of grain,

For purple mountain majesties

Above the enameled plain!

America! America!

Till souls wax fair as earth and air

And music-hearted sea!

O beautiful for pilgrims feet,

Whose stern impassioned stress

A thoroughfare for freedom beat

Across the wilderness!

America ! America !

Till paths be wrought through

wilds of thought

By pilgrim foot and knee!

O beautiful for glory-tale

Of liberating strife

When once and twice,

for man's avail

Men lavished precious life !

America! America!

Till selfish gain no longer stain

The banner of the free!

O beautiful for patriot dream

That sees beyond the years

Thine alabaster cities gleam

Undimmed by human tears!

America! America!

Till nobler men keep once again

Thy whiter jubilee!

Guest bob_barron

I'll post what I wrote on my message board on my door-

I Love New York.

One year ago today we learned who the real heroes are-

FDNY NYPD PAPAD Flight 93

God Bless You All and may God always continue to bless America.

Guest bob_barron

While the storm clouds gather far across the sea,

Let us swear allegiance to a land that's free,

Let us all be grateful for a land so fair,

As we raise our voices in a solemn prayer:

God Bless America.

Land that I love

Stand beside her, and guide her

Thru the night with a light from above.

From the mountains, to the prairies ,

To the oceans, white with foam

God bless America

My home sweet home.

God Bless America,

Land that I love

Stand beside her,

And guide her,

Through the night

With the light from above,

From the mountains,

To the prairies,

To the ocean,

White with foam,

God bless America,

My home sweet home.

God bless America,

My home sweet home.

Guest big Dante Cruz

Mine eyes have seen the glory

Of the coming of the Lord;

He is trampling out the vintage

Where the grapes of wrath are stored;

He hath loosed the fateful lightning

Of His terrible swift sword;

His truth is marching on.

Glory! Glory! Hallelujah!

I have seen Him in the watchfires

Of a hundred circling camps

They have builded Him an altar

In the evening dews and damps;

I can read His righteous sentence

By the dim and flaring lamps;

His day is marching on.

I have read a fiery gospel writ

In burnished rows of steel:

"As ye deal with My contemners,

So with you My grace shall deal":

Let the Hero born of woman

Crush the serpent with His heel,

Since God is marching on.

He has sounded forth the trumpet

That shall never call retreat;

He is sifting out the hearts of men

Before His judgement seat;

Oh, be swift, my soul, to answer Him;

Be jubilant, my feet;

Our God is marching on.

In the beauty of the lilies

Christ was born across the sea,

With a glory in His bosom

That transfigures you and me;

As He died to make men holy,

Let us die to make men free;

While God is marching on.

Guest The Notorious CRD

My country, 'Tis of Thee,

Sweet land of liberty,

Of Thee I sing;

Land where my fathers died,

Land of the pilgrims' pride:

From every mountainside,

Let freedom ring.

Our fathers' God, to Thee,

Author of liberty,

To Thee we sing;

Long may our land be bright

With freedom's holy light;

Protect us by Thy might,

Great God, our King!

Guest Lord of The Curry

Though I'm Canadian, my heart and prayers are with all who were lost and all who lost somebody one year ago.

R.I.P 911 Victims.

I'd hate to re-write this, so I guess I'll just ask you to all check out my eyewitness description of what happened on 9/11 in General Chat.

Dames

Guest Vern Gagne

Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent, a new nation, conceived in Liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.

Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation, or any nation so conceived and so dedicated, can long endure. We are met on a great battle-field of that war. We have come to dedicate a portion of that field, as a final resting place for those who here gave their lives that that nation might live. It is altogether fitting and proper that we should do this.

But, in a larger sense, we can not dedicate -- we can not consecrate -- we can not hallow -- this ground. The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract. The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here. It is for us the living, rather, to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which they who fought here have thus far so nobly advanced. It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us -- that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion -- that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain -- that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom -- and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.

Guest Mr. Slim Citrus

If tomorrow all the things were gone

I'd worked for all my life,

And I had to start again

with just my children and my wife,

I'd thank my lucky stars

to be living here today,

'Cause the flag still stands for freedom

and they can't take that away.

I'm proud to be an American

where at least I know I'm free,

And I won't forget the men who died

who gave that right to me,

And I gladly stand up next to you

and defend her still today,

'Cause there ain't no doubt I love this land

God Bless the U.S.A.

From the lakes of Minnesota

to the hills of Tennessee,

Across the plains of Texas

from sea to shining sea.

From Detroit down to Houston

and New York to L.A.,

There's pride in every American heart

and it's time we stand and say:

I'm proud to be an American

where at least I know I'm free,

And I won't forget the men who died

who gave that right to me,

And I gladly stand up next to you

and defend her still today,

'Cause there ain't no doubt I love this land

God Bless the U.S.A.

Guest Frank Zappa Mask

Awhhhh....you all remind me of little kids joyously singing the praises of Mother America in 3rd grade, or kids singing Bible songs in Sunday school. Rather quaint, and I guess a old hippee like me can get the guitar out and sing "Kumbaya"......

In all seriousness, to live in a world where the events of one year ago occurred is to live in a world that is far from united, far from peaceful, far from stable, FAR from demcratic, and far far far way too far from free as it should be. We may disagree on the path, but we all want the same end result. Know that is the only faith you need, in each other. God bless all those affected by 9/11/01, and let's hope that 9/11/02 heals and calms this nation in the same way that last year shocked and angered us

Guest Cancer Marney

"Heals and calms?" That's the last thing we need. We're too calm. We shouldn't be looking for "closure." We should have radical Moslems in our gunsights, and every time one says "Death to America," we should pull a trigger.

That's how you honour the memory of the dead.

Guest Respect The 'Taker

My thoughts and prayers go out to all those affected by the September 11 attacks,

On 9/11, i found out Superheroes really did exist...

God Bless America

Blessings from Australia, The Artist formerly known as Taker Mark

Guest Prime Time Andrew Doyle

I would also like to offer my prayers and thoughts to the families of those who perished almost one year ago today.

Guest Insane Bump Machine
"Heals and calms?" That's the last thing we need. We're too calm. We shouldn't be looking for "closure." We should have radical Moslems in our gunsights, and every time one says "Death to America," we should pull a trigger.

WTF?

OK, don't want to argue in this thread.

My thoughts also go out to everyone who was affected by 9/11. That includes the innocent victims of the War against Terror.

Guest bob_barron

I would like to say a special prayer for Charles Garabini.

He was a fireman who lived in my hometown of Pleasantville, NY and perished last year.

My thoughts go out to his family and all other families affected by 9.11

Guest Flyboy

Although, I don't have a song to put...

I'd like to say my condolences and prayers goes out to the victims of that horrfic day.

R.I.P. 9/11 victims.

R.I.P.

Guest Perfect_Bo

I live in NYC...The Bronx to be more exact...earlier that week I was shot in the back in my college which is located in Manhatten NY...I thought that me getting shot was the worst thing that ever happen to me...I stand corrected.

Tuesday Morning...I heard a thunderous noise...I was unable to move but my wife was with me so she looked out the window...at first she couldnt see anything...the funny thing we were the nearest hospital to the WTC. I asked her what was that noise and she said that she didnt know until there was a loud noise of an explosion. She screamed, my heart jumped, but I still didnt know what was going on.

The news are running wild...Tower one got struck by an 'out of control' plane...that was the news...I prayed as my wife cried. 'around 20 minutes later' another explosion...My wife thought the worst and I thought my truth...the second tower got struck...and people labled it 'Terror attacks.'

The hospital is getting filled with patients now...hurt victims by the 'Terror' attacks...I gave my bed up because these people needed it more, besides, they took the bullet out and I was able to walk...it hurt like hell, but I was still able to walk.

'Building 2 goes down.'...I was by the 59th bridge at that moment, the only bridge that was open...My wife grabbed her chest in shock and terror as my first thought about this 'attacks' is...it was about 'MONEY'.

One of my good friends got killed...he was in the 108th floor in building number 1...another of my associate from Junior High use to work as a maintance (Can't spell) in building number 1...he was trapped in the underground 2 floor...and there was no way he could get out...he died as the building crumble.

I lost one of my best friend...he didnt die, but he went through that tragedy because he worked in the tower number 2...the thing that got me upset is that they told the building that it was ok to stay...to remain where you at, and that's when the second plane hit...he was on the 77th floor. He witnessed his co-workers that turned into friends, die...not my physical injury, but by heart attack, cardiac arrest, asthma ect. He made it out 1 minute before the building fell...he got out alive, but he's lost it in his head...he's not the same anymore because depression is killing him alive.

Many people suffered through this tragedy, and I have my story, as for other people...some of the people that I know lost friends and families in the building. Now they truly need a true friend to overcome their insanity.

Many people hate me, many people say that I'm a anti-american. I still feel, and I will die with this feel that it was AMERICA that this these attacks...physically it was them talibans...but economically it was the united states...many things were missing, and information was currupted...they just want to take over the fuel from those countries over there, and what is the best way then by war...let the people get behind his decision because of the symbol, one of the symbol that symbolize America, and not only America, but New York City...the World Trade Center was attacked...

Many people ask me about the pentagon? The US wouldnt attack their own military base or intellegence...right? That's just out right stupid...but what part of the pentagon was 'attack'? And who was the highest ranking officer that got killed in those 'attack'? Seems too perfect? Why is it that the fourth plane didnt hit the white house? Because then things will just get out of hand...attack the own white house? that's why the plane went down.

You think that was enough reason to go after them talibans and take over their fuel? Many people think so, but other countries dont...the US are still getting critizied from the 'highway of death' back in Desert Storm...they are getting critizied right now for some of their actions in the war against terror...I'm sorry to say, but the US doing anything to get fuel isnt over...something big is going to happen, and you just wait because it will...another attack.

Am I a anti-american? I feel that I am not...I just speak what I feel...but this is coming from a person that went a little bit through it.

Bo

Guest Spaceman Spiff
You think that was enough reason to go after them talibans and take over their fuel

Yes, *all* those oil fields in Afghanistan...

Guest Vern Gagne
I live in NYC...The Bronx to be more exact...earlier that week I was shot in the back in my college which is located in Manhatten NY...I thought that me getting shot was the worst thing that ever happen to me...I stand corrected.

Tuesday Morning...I heard a thunderous noise...I was unable to move but my wife was with me so she looked out the window...at first she couldnt see anything...the funny thing we were the nearest hospital to the WTC. I asked her what was that noise and she said that she didnt know until there was a loud noise of an explosion. She screamed, my heart jumped, but I still didnt know what was going on.

The news are running wild...Tower one got struck by an 'out of control' plane...that was the news...I prayed as my wife cried. 'around 20 minutes later' another explosion...My wife thought the worst and I thought my truth...the second tower got struck...and people labled it 'Terror attacks.'

The hospital is getting filled with patients now...hurt victims by the 'Terror' attacks...I gave my bed up because these people needed it more, besides, they took the bullet out and I was able to walk...it hurt like hell, but I was still able to walk.

'Building 2 goes down.'...I was by the 59th bridge at that moment, the only bridge that was open...My wife grabbed her chest in shock and terror as my first thought about this 'attacks' is...it was about 'MONEY'.

One of my good friends got killed...he was in the 108th floor in building number 1...another of my associate from Junior High use to work as a maintance (Can't spell) in building number 1...he was trapped in the underground 2 floor...and there was no way he could get out...he died as the building crumble.

I lost one of my best friend...he didnt die, but he went through that tragedy because he worked in the tower number 2...the thing that got me upset is that they told the building that it was ok to stay...to remain where you at, and that's when the second plane hit...he was on the 77th floor. He witnessed his co-workers that turned into friends, die...not my physical injury, but by heart attack, cardiac arrest, asthma ect. He made it out 1 minute before the building fell...he got out alive, but he's lost it in his head...he's not the same anymore because depression is killing him alive.

Many people suffered through this tragedy, and I have my story, as for other people...some of the people that I know lost friends and families in the building. Now they truly need a true friend to overcome their insanity.

Many people hate me, many people say that I'm a anti-american. I still feel, and I will die with this feel that it was AMERICA that this these attacks...physically it was them talibans...but economically it was the united states...many things were missing, and information was currupted...they just want to take over the fuel from those countries over there, and what is the best way then by war...let the people get behind his decision because of the symbol, one of the symbol that symbolize America, and not only America, but New York City...the World Trade Center was attacked...

Many people ask me about the pentagon? The US wouldnt attack their own military base or intellegence...right? That's just out right stupid...but what part of the pentagon was 'attack'? And who was the highest ranking officer that got killed in those 'attack'? Seems too perfect? Why is it that the fourth plane didnt hit the white house? Because then things will just get out of hand...attack the own white house? that's why the plane went down.

You think that was enough reason to go after them talibans and take over their fuel? Many people think so, but other countries dont...the US are still getting critizied from the 'highway of death' back in Desert Storm...they are getting critizied right now for some of their actions in the war against terror...I'm sorry to say, but the US doing anything to get fuel isnt over...something big is going to happen, and you just wait because it will...another attack.

Am I a anti-american? I feel that I am not...I just speak what I feel...but this is coming from a person that went a little bit through it.

Bo

Who are you? I've honestly never seen you post at Current Events.

Let's not make this thread into a far fetched conspiracy theory. This is for rememberance of the 9-11 victims.

Guest Perfect_Bo

You're right...I never posted in the Current Events...but when I saw the thread 9/11, I felt that I wanted to say something...and I said what I felt...

You have no idea what I went through in that week...I've lost people that was close to me, not only physically but mentally...

I feel that I needed to speak out what I feel before it kills me inside, and I have...but this is for the people that I'VE LOST...my friends...

May them rest in peace..

One love

Bo

Guest Vern Gagne

No I don't and hope I never do.

If you wanna bring up some conspiracy theory that's all well and good it's just that I feel this thread should be about Remembering 9-11.

Guest Perfect_Bo

You know what? You're right, and I apologize for speakin upon it on this day...this day of remembering the lost ones...the heroes and the innocent...

I'm sorry for anyone that got offended with my story, many people do. I am not anti-american... I'm just pro-humanity...

This isnt about America, this is about human beings, human lives being lost with no feelings...

R.I.P to all of my friends that lives was prematurely taken away from them...and RIP to the rest of the people that also lost their lives when it just wasnt their time...

One love...

Anthony

Chris.

Bo

Guest JangoFett4Hire

The Words of Gordon Sinclair

This remarkable editorial was broadcast from Toronto by Gordon Sinclair, a Canadian television commentator. What follows is the full text of his remarks as printed in the Congressional Record. Note: this was not in response to the 9/11/01 attack, but it still applies.

America: The Good Neighbor.

"This Canadian thinks it is time to speak up for the Americans as the most generous and possibly the least appreciated people on all the earth.

Germany, Japan and, to a lesser extent, Britain and Italy were lifted out of the debris of war by the Americans who poured in billions of dollars and forgave other billions in debts. None of these countries is today paying even the interest on its remaining debts to the United States.

When France was in danger of collapsing in 1956, it was the Americans who propped it up, and their reward was to be insulted and swindled on the streets of Paris. I was there. I saw it.

When earthquakes hit distant cities, it is the United States that hurries in to help. This spring, 59 American communities were flattened by tornadoes.

Nobody helped.

The Marshall Plan and the Truman Policy pumped billions of dollars into discouraged countries. Now newspapers in those countries are writing about the decadent, warmongering Americans.

I'd like to see just one of those countries that is gloating over the erosion of the United States dollar build its own airplane. Does any other country in the world have a plane to equal the Boeing Jumbo Jet, the Lockheed Tri-Star, or the Douglas DC10? If so, why don't they fly them? Why do all the International lines except Russia fly American Planes?

Why does no other land on earth even consider putting a man or woman on the moon? You talk about Japanese technocracy, and you get radios. You talk about German technocracy, and you get automobiles. You talk about American technocracy, and you find men on the moon - not once, but several times and safely home again.

You talk about scandals, and the Americans put theirs right in the store window for everybody to look at. Even their draft-dodgers are not pursued and hounded. They are here on our streets, and most of them, unless they are breaking Canadian laws, are getting American dollars from ma and pa at home to spend here.

When the railways of France, Germany and India were breaking down through age, it was the Americans who rebuilt them. When the Pennsylvania Railroad and the New York Central went broke, nobody loaned them an old caboose. Both are still broke.

I can name you 5000 times when the Americans raced to the help of other people in trouble. Can you name me even one time when someone else raced to the Americans in trouble? I don't think there was outside help even during the San Francisco earthquake.

Our neighbors have faced it alone, and I'm one Canadian who is damned tired of hearing them get kicked around. They will come out of this thing with their flag high. And when they do, they are entitled to thumb their nose at the lands that are gloating over their present troubles. I hope Canada is not one of those."

Stand proud, America!

Guest ScorpionDanceofDeath

I really enjoyed that article, Jango. Thank you for sharing. Makes me proud to be an American.

Guest Ace309

Bo, nice to see you post here. I was wondering what you'd have to say.

As it is, I think I'll just go through my morning in Buffalo on 9/11/01.

I woke up at 8:00, as usual, and stumbled around for a while waiting for the coffee to kick in. Around 8:30, I got into the shower. I got out a few minutes before 9, just in time to see footage of the first plane, and to hear Bryant Gumble expressing shock. I thought, "My god... what a horrible accident."

Then the second plane hit.

I couldn't bring myself to believe that anyone would do something so horrible. Just... in total shock, unable to believe it was anything but an accident, I staggered out the door and grabbed the train to class.

My 11 AM statistics class went down as normal. Despite the fact that there were people crowded around every TV in the university, despite the fact that literally half the class didn't show up because they had the good sense to go watch history, my stats professor told us that class would go on, that those absent would be penalized, and that we had to get on with our lives.

She then proceeded to sigh, check the CNN website, and declare that, because the server was down, there must be no news. She checked a website from Iceland (her language) and proceeded to recount the news that we'd already heard, which hadn't been updated... she determined that this was because nothing new had happened.

When the class let out at 11:30, we were told that all the classes for the day were canceled. Still in a haze, I came home, flipped on CNN, and just sat for a while.

What's the defining memory of 9/11 for me, though?

The little boy across the street, barely 2 years old, trick-or-treating on Halloween as a fireman. I don't know why that gets me so emotional... but it does.

Guest Anorak

That post doesn't belong in this thread.

My thoughts go out to the friends and family of those killed in the attack and the grief they carry which must be especially painful for them to bear today.