TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Karnage

The One And Only Superhero Cartoons Thread!

Guest Karnage

Does anyone here watch the Justice League cartoon? I never hear anyone talk about it, I think it's pretty good so far.

Guest kingkamala

I've seen a few episodes, don't really like it though, more of a Marvel guy (Cyclops to be specific)

Guest Zack Malibu

I watch and tape Spider Man and His Amazing Friends and the 1996 version of The Hulk cartoon on ABC Family on Saturday mornings.

I also managed to snag 3 Marvel Classics cartoon videos at my Wal-Mart for $6.88 each (Captain America, Thor and Sub Mariner)

And I've got episodes of the Hulk from the 80's, as well as Spider-Man from the 70's too.

Watched the premiere of Justice League, but I grew to be more of a Marvel guy. I do hear good things about it, though, so I'll probably start checking it out.

Guest Grenouille

I always liked the Marvel guys more. My favs were Spider-Man (#1), X-Men, Hulk and Fantastic Four. I will give DC props for the 90's Batman cartoon which kicked ass IMHO.

Guest razazteca

don't really care for the Justice League. My favorite superhero cartoon are the Batman series from FOX and Batman Beyond from WB.

and the X-Men FOX series from the late 90s, don't care for the new one.

Guest El Satanico

Justice League is a quality show and is one of the better serious cartoons out now.

Guest Lethargic

I watched JL when it first started and I liked it. But then they moved it around the schedule so much that I don't even know when it comes on anymore.

Lately I've been downloading the whole Spiderman animated 90's series and watching that. It kinda sucked. The way they almost every show was part of a longer series kinda ruins it. If you tried to start watching in the middle you couldn't do it.

Guest Karnage

The animation of the 90s Spider-Man looked really bad. The only times they used lots of frames were the action scenes.

Guest Big McLargeHuge

they also re-used a ton of footage from earlier episodes during action sequences. Still a fun show.

I also am more partial to Marvel, but their cartoons (with the exception of Silver Surfer and X-Men) tend to suck. The current/recent DC shows have been head and shoulders above anything else done. Justice League so far has kicked some serious ass. The first episodes alone were enough to reel me in. I just hope they get rid of the John Stewart character. He's the most boring GL ever.

The Avengers show on Fox in the late 90s was horrible. In fact, let us never speak of it ever again.

Guest The Notorious CRD

Everytime I hear about a new superhero cartoon, I get giddy. I've seen my fair share of theme in my lifetime and unfortunately most of them tend to suck. That being said, here are some of the ones I've enjoyed:

1. Batman: TAS

2. X-Men (Fox)

3. Spider-Man (Fox)

4. Justice League

5. Spawn (HBO)

Guest ant_7000

Mine was

1. X-Men (FOX)

2. Spiderman (Fox)

3. Batman 90's

4. Superman 90's

5. W.I.L.D.C.A.T.S

Guest kane3212321

Mine is

1. Batman TAS (Nothing comes close to this)

2. X-Men

3. Spiderman

4. Superman TAS

5. Spiderman and his Amazing Friends (THe epsiode where they get trapped in Pong by Electro is so funny)

Guest pochorenella
The Avengers show on Fox in the late 90s was horrible. In fact, let us never speak of it ever again

Amen to that.

The Silver Surfer cartoon from a few years back is one of the most underrated ever IMO. Cool animation (with a Jack Kirby flavor) and fairly good stories. Too bad it was cancelled after only one season (even though it had decent ratings I hear).

The Fantastic Four cartoon from Hanna-Barbera still rocks to this very day. FF vs. Galactus and FF vs. Dr. Doom are my favorites. Their second series sucked BIGTIME. The next season was ok (ditto for Iron Man.)

WildC.A.T.S.? My God, it was so terrible.

And I'm really fond of Spider-Man Unlimited, too.

Guest AlwaysPissedOff

Justice League kicks about 800 types of asses. It's pretty much one of the best recent cartoons made and I still wish they did the JL/Batman Beyond hour before Saturday Night Adult Swim because that was so awesome.

Guest Zack Malibu

Isn't Cartoon Network showing Batman:TAS episodes late at night these days? I heard something about that from a kid at work.

Guest El Satanico

Cartoon Network usually always has some Batman cartoon playing, but never seems to be on a specific schedule. It's been on Toonami before but the Toonami lineup changes every few months. The last Batman cartoon i saw on CN was Batman Beyond so i'm not sure what series is on now if any.

Guest Big McLargeHuge

That's a huge problem I have with Cartoon Network; I'm never aware of any type of schedule they have. They seem to shuffle their shows into new time slots each week.

And yes, they showed all three of the 90s DC shows (Batman, Superman, and Beyond) but I think they're showed at random.

Guest Lethargic
That's a huge problem I have with Cartoon Network; I'm never aware of any type of schedule they have. They seem to shuffle their shows into new time slots each week.

And yes, they showed all three of the 90s DC shows (Batman, Superman, and Beyond) but I think they're showed at random.

Superman/Batman hour comes on at 1am central Saturday nights. Batman Beyond doesn't come on anymore for now.

Guest El Satanico

Well they do come on at set times, its just that CN rotates every few months. It would be ok if CN had commercials through out the day that kept you better updated on schedule changes. You can hardly find out the Toonami schedule or special events without actually watching it.

Guest Karnage

Does anyone know any major changes that happened when they transferred from comic to cartoon?

I heard the brood from the X-Men cartoon is different than the real brood or something.

Guest AlwaysPissedOff
Does anyone know any major changes that happened when they transferred from comic to cartoon?

I heard the brood from the X-Men cartoon is different than the real brood or something.

Well, for starters, they trim the rosters down(which was nesscessary for X-Men and JL, unfortunately) so that they can develop the characters more.

For instance, the main group of X-Men were just Cyclops, Jean Grey, Storm, Rogue, Gambit, Jubilee, Professor X, Beast, and Morph(a guy who wasn't ever in the comics until later on). There were no "Blue" or "Gold" teams and they met many of the members of the actual comics team in like one-shot episodes(Archangel, Psylocke, Colossus, and Bishop).

On the subject of the Brood, the aliens they used in the show weren't the Brood at all, they just used primarily the same methods to reproduce.

With the Justice League, I can't really comment because I haven't read comics consistently since like 96, so I'd just be shooting blindly on that subject, although there are little things like John Stewart being in the JL when he was never apart of the team(s) at all(only Kyle Raynor and Hal Jordan were, I think).

Guest Sassquatch

Stewart is the token minority in the JLA.

Dini was originally against the idea of putting Stewart in the JLA because in an earlier episode of the WB Superman cartoon, he had Kyle Rayner make a cameo along with Sinestro.

But Jamie Kellner wanted Stewart in the show to appease the "JLA is a racist show" protesters.

Stewart has also NEVER been a member of the JLA in any incarnation and the cartoon is a slap in the face to GL fans who were expecting to see Hal Jordan or Kyle Rayner in the show.

Dini has maintained face in interviews about how he thinks Stewart in the JLA is a good idea but if you go back and read interviews with him in late '99/early '00 when he was asked to do the show, he was vehemently against appeasing the suits.

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen

Batman: The Animated Series

Greatest. Cartoon. EVER.

Kevin Conroy as Batman

Mark Hamil as The Joker

It was so good FOX put in Primetime, and it won a SHITLOAD of Emmys.

Guest AlwaysPissedOff

Thanks for the info, Sass. Jaime Kellner is a sorry sack of shit and has always been since he imported Pokemon, damn near killed the WB's Saturday morning block pimping it, and(on a lesser, more personal note), killed off the REAL WCW(yeah, I know they sucked, but dammit, I grew up with the company).

Did Hamill do Joker's voice on the recent Justice League two-parter with Luthor forming a team to kill the JL? If not, the guy they did get to do him was fucking great and they should bring him back.

Also, Batman:TAS's Joker is the way he SHOULD be drawn and animated.

Damn, I'm a huge Joker mark...

Guest Sassquatch

"Does anyone know any major changes that happened when they transferred from comic to cartoon?"

- Gambit, Jubilee, and Rogue were never involved in the Dark Phoenix Saga.

- Dr.Boliver Trask was killed in his first outing with the Sentinels

- The Archangel/Angel faked his own death in a plane explosion and ended up in the hands of Apocalypse.

- When the X-Men first encountered the Angel/Archangel they acted as if they had never met him before yet he was a founding member of the X-Men in the comic book.

- The original roster of the X-Men in the cartoon was Cyclops, Jean, Beast, Iceman, and Polaris. The original comic book roster was Cyclops, Jean, Beast, Iceman, and the Angel.

- Cable was just some guy from the future who was tracking Apocalypse down when in the comic book he was Cyclops and Madelyne Pryor's son (Cyclops' girlfriend/wife while Jean Grey was missing after the Phoenix Saga).

- Juggernaut frames Colossus in his 1st outing in attacking the X-Men when in the comic book he attacked the X-Men at their mansion and was defeated with the help of the Human Torch.

- In the Genosha Saga, Gambit is the one who helps start the rebellion. But in the comic book it is Wolverine and Rogue who start it.

- Mystique never worked for Apocalypse.

- Dazzler never hit on Cyclops when they first met in the comic book.

- Rogue never tried to lose her powers via science in the comic book.

- Heather Hudson (wife of the Guardian) and Puck never appeared in the Alpha Flight's first encounter with the X-Men.

- In the comic book, Havock and Cyclops knew who they were from day one and it was Cyclops and the X-Men who helped Havock control his powers.

- X-Force was a government-funded agency that the X-Men were familiar about in the comic book and even helped spawn.

- Quicksilver was substituted for Forge in the Phalanx covenant arc.

- Gyrich never went into hiding out of fear of the Sentinels because in the comic book he never had a hand in helping create them.

- Wolverine knew who Ms.Marvel was in the comic book and in Rogue's first outing as a super villain, she fought the Avengers along with the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants which was known as the Mutant Liberation Front in the comic book.

- The return of Master Mold never happened the way it did in the cartoon. Master Mold attacked the Hulk in his first outing back online in the comic book.

- The X-Men knew in advance who Sabertooth was and they knew he was a killer in the comic book. He was also never an agent of Magneto's in the comic book as well.

- The Nasty Boys were not Mr.Sinister's goons in the comic book because the group called the Mutant Marauders was.

- The introduction of Belladonna

- The X-Men never met Nightcrawler the way they did because he was a member of the new version of the team (Cyclops, Colossus, Wolverine, Storm, Banshee, Sunfire, and Thunderbird).

- Psylocke was originally a British woman who was then transformed into an Asian assassin who worked for the Mandarin.

- Bishop was never a character involved in the Days of Future Past storyline that ran in the comic book.

- Magneto never fought the Sentinels in a battle to the death in the comic book.

- Proteus was a mass killer in the comic book and had murdered his politician father Joe McTaggert.

- Wolverine was only phased by Proteus's attack in the comic book and was not scarred of the kid.

- Erik the Red was not a member of the Shi'ar when he first met the X-Men.

- Juggernaut never reverted back to his normal self and transferred his powers into some nerd in the comic book.

- The Legacy virus was not cured by Wolverine creating an anti-toxin. In the comic book Colossus sacrificed his life in order to create an anti-toxin.

- The Legacy Virus was not a creation of Apocalypse's in the comic book.

- The Dark Phoenix wiped out an entire galaxy and killed billions of beings.

- The Dark Phoenix was actually killed in the comic book and did not come back to life due to the X-Men giving her some of their life energy to bring back Jean Grey. The Phoenix was dead but years later it was revealed that Jean had survived and went into a cocoon of sorts that ended up on earth in the ocean specifically.

- The X-Men never fought the Four Horsemen. The X-Factor (Cyke, Jean, Beast, and Iceman) did.

- Magneto stood trial for his crimes against humanity and Professor X was ousted as a mutant when he tried to defend Magneto.

I could go on but you all get the picture.

Guest Sassquatch

Mark Hamill did indeed do the voice for the Joker in the WB series along with the World's Finest animated movie.

Hamill wanted to change his voice a bit when he joined on with the WB series and took several voices learning classes in order to do so.

Guest Tony149
Did Hamill do Joker's voice on the recent Justice League two-parter with Luthor forming a team to kill the JL? If not, the guy they did get to do him was fucking great and they should bring him back.

Yeah, Hamill voiced the Joker for JL.

The top cartoon show IMHO is Batman: The animated series. That show was awesome. I stay up late on Saturday's just to watch that & Superman: TAS.

The superhero series' WB did in the '90s rocked.

I read Batman Beyond will start airing again on October 1st at 4 p.m. eastern time.

Guest Pop Culture God

Who else has the Batman: TAS DVD? "On Leather Wings" was a definite home run for Timm and Co.