TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Luke Argyle

[Shill] Luke's pro wrestling LOVE Vol. 1

Guest Luke Argyle

I don't really feel entirely comfortable doing this, as I am new to the world of tape dealing/trading, but I spent all weekend piecing together a comp for a friend in New Hampshire that I haven't seen in a long while.  He wanted a comp, so this is the result of my arduous labor.  I make no claims concerning the importance or the all-encompassing relevance of these matches.  I just think that they're all really good matches, each in their own way, and got on here because I love them like children.  That's it.  Trades are cool or we'll do it at $13 and call it a day.  Here's the list:

(00:00) New Japan – Jushin Liger vs. Shinjiro Ohtani (3/17/96) (Joined in progress)

(20:31) WWF – Chris Benoit vs. Steve Austin (5/31/01)

(41:20) GAEA – Akira Hokuto vs. Meiko Satomura (4/29/01)

(1:12:58) All Japan – Jun Akiyama/Mitsuharu Misawa vs. Toshiaki Kawada/Akira Taue (12/6/96) (JIP)

(1:34:39) WCW - Southern Boys vs. Midnight Express (7/7/90)

(1:56:19) WCW – Terry Funk vs. Ric Flair (7/23/89)

(2:18:21) FMW - Kintaro Kanemura vs. Ryuji Yamakawa (7/18/00)

(2:41:56) New Japan – Jushin Liger vs. Minoru Tanaka (3/17/01)

(2:59:24) WWF – Randy Savage vs. Ricky Steamboat (3/29/87)

(3:21:56) All Japan – Stan Hansen vs. Kenta Kobashi (7/29/93)

(3:45:54) WWF – Mankind vs. Shawn Michaels (10/22/96)

(4:15:05) FMW – Megumi Kudo vs. Combat Toyoda (5/5/96)

(4:50:38) New Japan – Satoshi Kojima/Hiroyoshi Tenzan vs. Manabu Nakanishi/Yuji Nagata (12/11/01)

(5:12:58) Toryumon – Tiger Mask IV/Magnum Tokyo/SAITO vs. CIMA/SUWA/Sumo Dandy Fuji (1/29/01)

(5:29:15) New Japan – Shinjiro Ohtani vs. Jushin Liger (2/9/97)

Drop me a line if you're interested.  

Peace

-Luke

Guest Tim Cooke

"(00:00) New Japan – Jushin Liger vs. Shinjiro Ohtani (3/17/96) (Joined in progress)"

Excellent Match.  I ended up seeing it after the 8/4/96 Otani/Dragon match so it never ended up looking quite as good as it probably should have....regardless, quite the little match.

"(20:31) WWF – Chris Benoit vs. Steve Austin (5/31/01)"

WWF MOTY 2001 for me.  This match, with the RAW match, makes me want to see so much more Austin v Benoit.  Put it on PPV and I guarantee I will buy it.

"(41:20) GAEA – Akira Hokuto vs. Meiko Satomura (4/29/01)"

I lack Joshi.....I'll see it sometime down the line.

"(1:12:58) All Japan – Jun Akiyama/Mitsuharu Misawa vs. Toshiaki Kawada/Akira Taue (12/6/96) (JIP)"

Enough has been said about this match that I won't drone on.  Only question is, why the JIP version?  I didn't even know they had a JIP version out there.

"(1:34:39) WCW - Southern Boys vs. Midnight Express (7/7/90)"

The *height* of US Tag Team Wrestling.  2 guys who new everything there is to on a Southern Style tag team match paired with two young guys who were willing to bust ass equals a great match.  

"(1:56:19) WCW – Terry Funk vs. Ric Flair (7/23/89)"

Flair v Funk, particularly the GAB match, didn't do much for me.  Maybe just me though.....

"(2:18:21) FMW - Kintaro Kanemura vs. Ryuji Yamakawa (7/18/00)"

Haven't seen, though looks decent enough on paper.

"(2:41:56) New Japan – Jushin Liger vs. Minoru Tanaka (3/17/01)"

I don't like Tanaka all that much but Liger is the man at carrying lesser opponents so who knows....

"(2:59:24) WWF – Randy Savage vs. Ricky Steamboat (3/29/87)"

One of the more over rated matches in US history.

"(3:21:56) All Japan – Stan Hansen vs. Kenta Kobashi (7/29/93)"

Incrdible, only to be made even better by seeing the 4/16/93 hand held.

"(3:45:54) WWF – Mankind vs. Shawn Michaels (10/22/96)"

Someone I know and respect for their Wrestling views told me I need to rewatch this to see how great it is....I hope to soon.

"(4:15:05) FMW – Megumi Kudo vs. Combat Toyoda (5/5/96)"

I lack the FMW, especially the FMW Ladies.....

"(4:50:38) New Japan – Satoshi Kojima/Hiroyoshi Tenzan vs. Manabu Nakanishi/Yuji Nagata (12/11/01)"

Coming soon....probably not breathtaking but TenKoji and Nagata with a ready to work Nakanishi is not a bad thing by any means.

"(5:12:58) Toryumon – Tiger Mask IV/Magnum Tokyo/SAITO vs. CIMA/SUWA/Sumo Dandy Fuji (1/29/01)"

The usual.....lots of energy, some good moves, but no psych, lots of repetitive stuff......

"(5:29:15) New Japan – Shinjiro Ohtani vs. Jushin Liger (2/9/97)"

Great follow up to 3/17 though I could also make an argument that with this match (and its general format) was what made the NJPW Juniors go to crap.  Same could be said for AJPW of the late 1990's but too good of a match to leave off, espcially if you have their earlier 3/17 one on there.

Tim

Guest HopeSpot

I was at that Benoit vs. Austin match in Edmonton. Muther fucker I've never been in a crowd that hot, that match was definetly ***** but if Benoit had won the title...jesus there would have been people crying tears of joy in Skyreach. They were that into it even I marked out and lost myself in the mob, the guy beside me was screaming "pin that muther fucker" at Austin the whole match and Austin flipped him off. Awesome show.

Guest Luke Argyle

>>"(1:12:58) All Japan – Jun Akiyama/Mitsuharu Misawa vs. Toshiaki Kawada/Akira Taue (12/6/96) (JIP)"

>>Enough has been said about this match that I won't drone on.  Only question is, why the JIP version?  I didn't even know they had a JIP version out there.

Hell, I didn't even know it was JIP, but I realized that the final match time comes to 31:XX and I had only been taping for 20 at the conclusion.  I'll hunt down the full someday because 10:00 is a lot of missed wrestling with the parties involved.  

>>"(2:59:24) WWF – Randy Savage vs. Ricky Steamboat (3/29/87)"

>>One of the more over rated matches in US history.

I agree, but the match wasn't the reason it got on.  The angle and the promos beforehand in combination with the match is what got it a spot on the comp.  It was played out perfectly and made one think that the fate of the world was in the balance, not the Intercontinental Title.  

>>"(5:29:15) New Japan – Shinjiro Ohtani vs. Jushin Liger (2/9/97)"

>>Great follow up to 3/17 though I could also make an argument that with this match (and its general format) was what made the NJPW Juniors go to crap.  Same could be said for AJPW of the late 1990's but too good of a match to leave off, espcially if you have their earlier 3/17 one on there.

Yeah, I love the '96 match.  My fav juniors match ever.  The only reason that the '97 one made it was to bookend the comp and show the evolution of that particular feud, because it really isn't as good in my eyes.  

-Luke