TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Cancer Marney

Board Policy Question

Guest Cancer Marney

Dames, as your revised policy states:

"Any use of any racial slurs in name calling or in description of someone will not be tolerated, due to the offensive nature of such slurs."

- and as someone in General Chat was recently warned for using the words "fag" and "queer," is it safe to assume that "bitch" and "whore" are also verboten in such a context - that is, hostile, denigrating name-calling - in light of the fact that sexist slurs attack an even more basic component of a person than racist or homophobic slurs, and are therefore more offensive?

Guest Incandenza

Also, how will this affect No Holds Barred? Racial epithets are already not allowed in there.

Though this will only put more heat in an already heavily scrutinized position, I think it is best to let it be up to the mods what gets flagged and what does not, rather than having a set, zero tolerance rule. Last night, I--jokingly--called some a "cocksucker" in NHB, which could be argued as being tantamount to calling that same person (a guy) a "fag."

Guest Cancer Marney

You could argue that "cocksucker" is descriptive whereas "fag" is insulting. "Cocksucker" is used to insult rather than describe, though, so that would be a weak argument. I think the best standard would be obvious hostility and serious use of the racist/sexist/homophobic slurs.

Guest Some Guy

Adding sexist slurs to teh list is fine by me as long as it's ruled the way as the racist statements, with discretion rather than Zero (thinking) tolerance.

Guest Retro Rob

But if I wanted to call Scott Keith's Biggest Fan a bitch, would that be against this policy?

Guest chirs3

"Fag" and "Queer" attack someones sexual orientation.

"Bitch" and "Whore" usually go toward describing one's character... in a not nice way, I mean.

Guest treble charged

Does that only apply to males? I mean, if I were to get mad at Marney (or any other female poster on this board, for example), could I call her a 'bitch'?

Guest Cancer Marney

Obviously, it depends on the tone. If Tom calls me a bitch, as he often does, that's a completely different matter than if someone I don't like calls me a bitch in a hostile and insulting manner. It's no different from blacks calling each other "nigger." White men can't ever do it, but it's fine between friends.

Guest LooseCannon

I have a question. If were to flame Marney, or any other female for that matter, what names can I call her? I agree that insults based on status are offensive and should not be tolerated. Yet, on the other hand, I can call Inc an asshole and that would be fine, I think. But it would be wierd to call Marney an asshole. I feel like calling her a cunt or a bitch would "feel" like the more correct way to insult her, all other things remaining equal. If that makes sense.

Guest Cancer Marney

Obviously, because hatred of women is considered perfectly normal in our society, and denigrating them through their sex is perfectly acceptable because they're supposed to feel ashamed of their "dirty parts."

That doesn't make it right.

Guest Edwin MacPhisto
Also, how will this affect No Holds Barred? Racial epithets are already not allowed in there.

Brief thought: there's no word of warning to that effect anywhere on the NHB board or on the description of the NHB board. If it's policy, it should be added.

One would hope that wouldn't be an issue, but if somebody fires off a racial epithet and then gets banned because "Oh, yeah, that's not allowed, but you should have known that" it's not really fair. On the rest of the board it wouldn't be an issue, but in a specifically designed flaming folder it should be stated exactly what is off-limits.

Guest LooseCannon
Obviously, because hatred of women is considered perfectly normal in our society, and denigrating them through their sex is perfectly acceptable because they're supposed to feel ashamed of their "dirty parts."

That doesn't make it right.

I know what you mean. It just seems like most generic insults don't sound right when applied to women. No? It's not a major concern to me, b/c I only call *men* cunts and bitches. But I can see where someone might call a woman a bitch in the same way they would call a man an asshole. I readily acknowledge that neither is really that impressive for flaming purposes depending on the context, but perhaps the issue is a little more nuanced. Or not.

Guest Flyboy
It's no different from blacks calling each other "nigger." White men can't ever do it, but it's fine between friends.

Well, I have white friends that call me "nigger" or "nigga" in real life, and it doesn't offend me... *shrugs* It just depends on what type of person you are.

Guest Cancer Marney

Depends on who does it, doesn't it? If a white stranger called you that, and if a black stranger called you that, I imagine your responses to the two would be a little different.

Guest Flyboy

Goddamnit... I hate when Marney beats me.

Yes, that didn't sound right, but anyhow...

Please pardon my lateness....I went out pretty late last night and slept all day, so this is the first time I've seen this.

In this case, I think I'll have to agree with Marney. Sexist slurs if used in a hostile and intolerant manner should be treated the same way as racial slurs, however, its up to the Mods discretion due to the confusing context in which they may be used.

That's not official, I'm simply trying to think of how to word it.

Dames

Dames

Guest Incandenza

Brief thought: there's no word of warning to that effect anywhere on the NHB board or on the description of the NHB board. If it's policy, it should be added.

One would hope that wouldn't be an issue, but if somebody fires off a racial epithet and then gets banned because "Oh, yeah, that's not allowed, but you should have known that" it's not really fair. On the rest of the board it wouldn't be an issue, but in a specifically designed flaming folder it should be stated exactly what is off-limits.

Huh. I was under the impression that was one of the set rules.

Guest Cancer Marney

Thanks Dames.

For the record, I've received an apology and I don't have a specific problem with anyone anymore, but it's still nice to have a ruling on this.

Guest Some Guy

Oh would you just shut the fuck up you stupid bitch!

Would that get me a waring or banned?

BTW Marney I like women's "dirty parts" so if I ever call you a cunt take it as a compliment. :)

Guest Edwin MacPhisto
Huh. I was under the impression that was one of the set rules.

No worries here. Now we can at least call each other honk-ass crackers if ever we see fit, without having to worry about The Man holding us down.

Guest MrRant
BTW Marney I like women's "dirty parts"
Well, I'm pretty fond of them myself.

But I can call you whatever I want right? Sorry for leaving the conversation earlier but lost my connection and then I had to sleep and off to work with me!

Guest Cancer Marney

Guys, like I said, use it in a friendly context and as long as I like you and I know you're just kidding around everything's probably fine. Use it as an insult and it's not. You can joke with me, argue with me, and even flame me without resorting to such words. It's not that I think they're "dirty" or intrinsically offensive; I use them all the time during sex, but it depends on how they're said. If they can be reasonably construed as hostile or denigrating, don't say them.

Rule of thumb: if you have to ask, it isn't a good idea.

Guest Some Guy

Seriously I reserve the use of "cunt" for occasions when I'm really pissed, but I playfully call my girl a bitch all the time and she calls me an asshole or whatever ever else.

Guest papacita
It's no different from blacks calling each other "nigger." White men can't ever do it, but it's fine between friends.

As far as I'm concerned, no one, black, white or whatever should use the word...but that's just me.