TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest C.H.U.D.

DVD releases for 9/17

Guest C.H.U.D.

Some great releases this week, I hope you saved your pennies.

Death to Smoochy

If you like cynical, evil, dark comedy, then check out this film. It's certainly not for the "teen, gross out comedy" crowd. It's level of humour is as dark as the midnight sky.

Earth VS. The Flying Saucers

Classic B-movie goodness arrives on DVD in widescreen with documentaries and more.

Frailty

Incredibly original, and an amazing directorial debut for Bill Paxton. Not for everyone, but worth watching.

Koyaanisqatsi

This first in Godfrey Reggio's soon to be completed trilogy. This film is absolutely beautiful, and has to be seen to be believed.

Monster's Inc.

One of my favourite films of last year, and my favourite CGI cartoon film ever finally arrives on a fully loaded SE, featuring commentary, bloopers, a new short film produced just for the DVD and more.

Panic Room

One of my favourite films of this years arrives in a barebones Superbit release. Columbia of course is the studio, so expect a 2 disc SE early next year.

Powaqqatsi

The second in Reggio's trilogy is a great companion piece for the original. You can buy both in a set for a very reasonable price. The third film in the trilogy arrives in theatres in October.

24: Season One

One of the most original and entertaining television shows in recent memory get's a well deserved release on disc, and the 2nd season hasn't even started yet!

'Till next week.

Guest Punk Princess

Why is Columbia just coming out with a Superbit of Panic Room? That's stupid... the average consumer isn't gonna pay more for some ultra high quality difference that doesn't mean shit unless they have a $5000 system. Especially if like you say there's a special edition re-release soon.

CHUD, I was waiting all week for this....and you didn't disappoint. All I've been looking forward to for the past few months is the 24 DVD set. It'll be here tomorrow! Thanks Amazon.

Thanks CHUD for having taste.

Dames

Guest Karnage

The entire 1972 Summit Series also comes out today for all the hockey fans here. Its a 4 disc set and loaded with extras.

Guest MDH257
What are Koyaanisqatsi and Powaqqatsi about?

From IMDB:

"Koyaanisqatsi is a documentary (of sorts). It is also a visual concert of images set to the haunting music of Glass, Phillip. While there is no plot in the traditional sense, there is a definate scenario. The film opens on ancient native American cave drawings, while the soundtrack chants "Koyaanisqatsi" which is a Hopi indian term for "life out of balance". The film uses extensive time lapse photography (which speeds images up) and slow motion photography to make comparisons between different types of physical motion. In one of the first examples, we see cloud formations moving (sped up) intercut with a montage of ocean waves (slowed down) and in such a way we are able to see the similarities of movement between these natural forces. This technique of comparison exists throughout the film, and through it we learn more about the world around us. The film progresses from purely natural environments to nature as affected by man, and finally to man's own manmade environment, devoid of nature yet still following the patterns of natural flow as depicted in the beginning of the film, yet in chaos and disarray. Through this the film conveys its key message, which is Koyaanisqatsi: life out of balance; crazy life; life in turmoil; life disintegrating; a state of life that calls for another way of living."

Basically it's a series of images set to a Philip Glass Score, I'm assuming the sequals are the same thing but with new images and music.

I've never seen any of the films, but the critical acclaim has peaked my interest.

Guest Lethargic

Our library ordered those DVDs. I was just about to put them on my hold list to check them out until I saw this post. I can't watch anything with Phillip Glass. The only thing I can think of while watching Dracula with Glass' score is "happy happy happy....everybody happy."

On the other hand the library ordered Deranged, Motel Hell, The Snake People and Rattlers all on DVD today and nothing will keep me from getting those. God I love our library.