Aldo Nova -Barely remember them

Duran Duran -decent

The The -don't know em

Depesche Mode -okay

Styx -okay

David Bowie -okay

Police -decent

Sting -ew

glad to see i'm not alone in HATING U2. I mean what the FUCK do they have?

Guest converge241

Iron Maiden - yeah motherfucker!! Somehwere in Time forever!!

Metallica - best string of 3 albums any artist KIll-Ride-Master

Megadeth - eh, every album was half good

Slayer - reign in blood and seasons were teo of the most influential albums ever

Judas Priest - im a sucker for the Turbo cheesy phase, and then painkiller? my god, Painkiller

Scorpions - got their best of, thats all you need

Motorhead - The ace of spades

Van Halen - good before they became Van Hagar

GnR - one album (appetite) but what an album

ill post the rest lates

Guest evenflowDDT
Depesche Mode

The Clash

Styx

Queen

David Bowie

Police

Sting

Iron Maiden - the only song I know is "In a Gadda Da Vida" (or however its spelt). Anyone have any other Maiden recommendations?

Metallica - Their '80s material was actually quite good; Master of Puppets is the only Metallica album and song I'd actually buy.

Megadeth - I only know a few Megadeth songs, but they're all from the '90s.

Slayer - I always knew who they were but I never heard any of their material. Any recommendations?

Judas Priest - Their singles are good...

Scorpions - Their singles are really good, although most of the ones I can think of actually came out in the '70s I think, and not the '80s.

Motorhead - See Slayer.

Van Halen - Eddie Van Halen is an awesome guitar player, I'm sure the rest of Van Halen is good too but I only really paid a lot of attention to Eddie.

GnR - Appetite for Destruction is one of the best albums I don't own.

Poison - See Motorhead, except from what I know I could care less about the band and don't need any recommendations.

Bad Religion - Decent, but they've been putting out the same album ever since they've been around, so... sometimes its best that bands don't last forever.

Cheap Trick - Only know their '70s singles.

Motley Crue - I love "Girls, Girls, Girls" and "Shout at the Devil". That's all I know from them.

Ozzy - Blizzard of Ozz... OWNS!

Peter Gabriel - My mom likes him, but I was never really a huge Genesis fan (he's one of the ex-Genesis guys, like Phil Collins, right?)

INXS - See Poison.

U2 - The only way '80s U2 could be any better is if Achtung Baby were released in 1989 instead of 1991. Even though U2 has had some enjoyable songs in the post-Achtung '90s, all of their most memorable songs and best albums were in the '80s.

Cinderella - See INXS.

Def Leppard - Pyromania is no classic, but its really not THAT bad of an album...

AC/DC - Like Bad Religion, they've basically been putting out the same album their entire careers as well... don't remember which songs/albums are from the '80s, but in the end it doesn't matter.

Aerosmith - Done with Mirrors is decent, that's the only specifically '80s Aerosmith I know.

Whitesnake, Aldo Nova, The The - Who?

Duran Duran - The pinnacle of '80s new-wave pop. I love these guys, I always have, and as I posted in the top 5 favorite songs thread, "Rio" is one of my all-time favorites.

Damn... gotta go to class... final 7 will come later.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Iron Butterfly did Ina Gadda Da Vida, not Iron Maiden. Unless they covered it like Slayer did.

As far as Slayer recommendations go, it's all the absolute shit except for Diabolus in Musica

Guest evenflowDDT
Iron Butterfly did Ina Gadda Da Vida, not Iron Maiden. Unless they covered it like Slayer did.

As far as Slayer recommendations go, it's all the absolute shit except for Diabolus in Musica

Boy, do I feel stupid about that mix-up... then I guess that means I don't know any Iron Maiden songs. Any recommendations?

Guest Agent of Oblivion

I'll leave that one to Corey or Metal Maniac, I'm not really into Maiden that much. Talented band, but Dickinson's vocals bug the shit out of me. Fear of the Dark is one of the only tracks I really dig that much.

As far as certain Slayer songs or albums. Definitely download tracks like South of Heaven, Raining Blood, Hell Awaits, Captor of Sin, Angel of Death, Seasons in the Abyss, and Exile.

For CD's, check out South of Heaven, Reign in Blood, Seasons in the Abyss, Decade of Aggression, and Divine Intervention. The older stuff is fuckin' awesome as well, but harder to find. God Hates us All is their new one and definitely worth a listen. it's completely different from their old stuff though.

Guest AndrewTS

Iron Maiden -- I fucking love these guys. I don't hear any "whining" in the songs, but remember there have been 3 Maiden vocalists. D'ianno the orignal--okay. Dickinson--my fucking avatar so you know I think he kicks ass, and Bailey--me and legions of others think he sucks. Glad Bruce Dickinson's back.

Metallica -- During the Master of Puppets era--awesome band. So they had their heyday but recent events have soured me onto them somewhat.

Megadeth -- Haven't heard much by then. Nothing negative.

Slayer -- I like what I've heard so far...

Judas Priest -- I prefer the early stuff.

Scorpions -- Fucking rule. And anyone who thinks they suck can lick my balls.

Motorhead -- Not too into them, but the hits seemed pretty kick ass.

Van Halen -- Overrated with David, and I really liked Sammy. However, their success is much greater than they deserved.

GnR -- Solid heavy metal band, but some of their best stuff were covers.

Posion -- Poison? AAAAGH! FUCK THEM FUCK THEM FUCK THEM!!

Motley Crue -- Ditto.

Ozzy Osbourne -- Ozzy is a fucking icon, but the braindead muttering simpleton making a fool of himself today is not the Ozzy I love. With Randy fucking Rhoads under his wing, he overcomes some of his technical shortcomings. Although, admittedly he's always been a media whore.

U2 -- A few of the hits are okay, but my feeling on them is kinda "eh" overall.

Cinderella -- Fuck 'em.

Def Leppard -- Some decent hits, but they are tremendously overrated. Plus they had no problem toning down their sound.

AC/DC -- No compromises here...they'll rock your face live and have kicked ass for decades. And I generally hate their lyrics, but like the music.

Aerosmith -- Their hits are decent to listen too, but they aren't afraid to suck mucho.

Whitesnakes -- They had Steve Vai, and some good hits. That's all I'll say.

The Clash -- I like 'em...but not a hardcore fan.

Queen -- A legendary band..no real complaints at all about 'em.

The rest I have no opinion about or haven't heard.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

I don't think they're whiny vocals, just in way too high of a register for me. Same reason I can't fucking stand Helloween, King Diamond, Gandalf, or Blind Guardian.

Guest DARRYLXWF

Boy, do I feel stupid about that mix-up... then I guess that means I don't know any Iron Maiden songs. Any recommendations?

The Wickerman, Rime of the Ancient Mariner, Powerslave, The Trooper

Can't believe I didn't see this thread till now.

Anyway, Duran Duran are fucking fantastic and you should worship them as gods, Peter Gabrial is great also, Police are good but Sting solo is rubbish.

I have to say you are missing some quality bands like Soft Cell, Japan, Bauhaus, Sisters of Mercy and Blondie (even though they started to get really big in the 70's, I still consider them an 80's band, plus Debbie Harry back then :wub: )

Guest Youre Gonna Learn

Iron Maiden - Respectable.

Metallica - I like them.

Megadeth - Respectable.

Slayer - Respectable

Judas Priest - Decent.

Scorpions - Never heard them.

Motorhead - Decent.

Van Halen - Great guitarist.

GnR - I like them/

:firing: Posion

Bad Religion - Yay.

Cheap Trick - Cool

Motley Crue - I don't like them.

Ozzy Osbourne - Was better in Sabbath.

Peter Gabriel - Cool.

INXS - Eh.

U2 - Eh.

Cinderealla - Eww.

Def Leppard - Ewwwww.

AC/DC - Cool.

Aerosmith - Good

Whitesnake - Awful.

Aldo Nova - No idea.

Duran Duran - Decent

The The - The what?

Depesche Mode - Cool

The Clash - Great.

Styx - eh,

Queen - Great stuff.

David Bowie - Bowie is awesome.

Police - I hate them because I hate Sting.

Sting - ... Hohoho.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Peter Gabriel was on Conan recently. That new song of his is FUCKED UP.

...I love my daughter's rapist...What a show, what a show.

Guest TheHulkster

Iron Maiden: Great band

Metallica: Really great band

Megadeth: Great band

Slayer: Was never a big fan

Judas Priest: Great band

Scorpions: Underrated. They were an awesome arena rock style band with a slew of catchy tunes that you could still bang your head to and not be ashamed of.

Motorhead: I was never a big fan

Van Halen: One of my favorite bands. I loved all the Diamond Dave era songs, even those song where he tried to get people to think he was the bastard white son of B.B. King

GnR: Van Halen-cito if you weel, with a bit of a harder edge

Posion: A lot of people hate Poison, but I don't. They aren't all that musically gifted, but damn if some of those Hair metal tunes aren't catchy

Bad Religion: not a huge fan

Cheap Trick: underrated. Their sound was more fit for the 70's though

Motley Crue: I loved the Crue's first few albums, then Bob Rock got ahold of them and neutered them of their edge.

Ozzy Osbourne: He put out some good stuff in the 80's. Not my favorite, but not my least favorite

Peter Gabriel: not a huge fan

INXS: They had a few catchy tunes. Not as great as many think

U2: Fucking great band

Cinderealla: One of my least favorite hair bands. At least they had a unique sound

Def Leppard: Pyromania was a great arena rock album. Hysteria is one of the best non- hair band hair band albums

AC/DC: I thought they really went downhill in the 80's

Aerosmith: They were still putting out great stuff in the 80's. It wasn't toys in the attic, but it still rocked and had a good 80's rock sound

Whitesnake: David Coverdale was a really talented vocalist. The rest of the band wasn't quite as good.

Aldo Nova: not a big fan

Duran Duran: they had a few catchy pop tracks

The The: not a big fan

Depesche Mode: not a big fan

The Clash: great early 80's band

Styx: I'm a sucker for a good ballad so i have a soft spot for Styx. THey were more of a 70's band though

Queen: Like Aerosmith, put out some good stuff in the 80's, but their best stuff came out in the 70's

David Bowie: I like Bowie. His music got weirder in the 80's, which was a pretty big feat seeing as he was really out there in the 70's

Police: They had some catchy pop tunes

Sting: I'm not a big fan of solo sting.

Guest DrTom

Iron Maiden: It's a shame they became irrelevant so quickly (especially in the US), because they were always very good.

Metallica: Maybe I'm a pariah of some sort, but I liked "Load" and "Reload." Their best studio work is still "Master of Puppets," with "Ride The Lightning" a close second, but I recognize that bands evolve over time. The Scorpions are a decent band, but if you've heard one album, you've heard them all. I'm actually glad Metallica got away from the paint-by-numbers formula. They're still an excellent live band, and I still like their songwriting.

Megadeth: They had a good run, but Metallica Lite is Metallica Lite.

Slayer: A very underrated band. "Seasons In The Abyss" 0wns.

Judas Priest: Rob Halford is the prototype for a heavy metal singer. They were amazingly good, probably a little better than Maiden, back in the day. Getting a singer that sounds like Halford isn't the same as getting Halford himself.

Scorpions: They're good, but all their albums sound the same. They have a few classic songs out there, but it's best to download your favorites as opposed to buying their albums.

Motorhead: LEMMY RULES~! Arguably the most inspirational metal band in a long, long time, even these guys have softened a bit on the sound in recent years. Still, their last few albums are packed with killer riffs, and Lemmy's I-just-gargled-with-broken-glass voice is perfect for their music.

Van Halen: They lost their balls when they lost Roth. Hagar was a better singer, but they made a bunch of safe little hard rock songs with him, and became just another vanilla band in the process.

GnR: Their demise is a shame, because these guys were really good. "Appetite For Destruction" is simply an amazing album. They never quite matched its common-man anger again, as the "Use Your Illusion" discs were more about being rock stars, which fewer people identify with. Still, they were great in their day, and it's a shame that egos tore the band apart.

Posion: Bleh. A lot of people liked them in the late 80's, but damn, hair metal is dated as a genre and a style.

Bad Religion: I was never into them too much.

Cheap Trick: A good enough group that put out a few catchy tunes. They didn't take themselves seriously, so no one else should have, either.

Motley Crue: Their music has aged better than Poison's, but after "Decade of Decadence," the whole VInce Neil controversy cost them a lot. Even after they sacked Corabi and brought Vince back, the power of previous years just wasn't there. Complacent guys in their 40's can't summon the same power in their songwriting they could when they were 25, coked up, and struggling to make it.

Ozzy Osbourne: It's a shame he's become such a parody of himself. He still puts out a good tune here and there, and he's still good live, but his best days as a studio rocker are definitely behind him. He was very good in the 80's, though, and still trades on the reputation and controversy he earned back then.

Peter Gabriel: Very good songwriter, but I never liked more than a handful of his songs.

INXS: Hutchence's death allowed some people to rediscover this band, and they're worth rediscovering. They always had more of an art-rock than a hand-rock sound, and even though I was a headbanger, I always liked them.

U2: In the 80's, they were good. Once they started experimenting with European pop ("Lemon," anyone? Ugh!) and Bono started opening his fool mouth and becoming the latest in a ridiculous line of singer-activists, I dismissed them as irrelevant. They did a few good songs recently, but they have to do a lot more to earn absolution from me.

Cinderealla: Guilty pleasure band: I liked them a lot in the 80's. Like most bands from that time, their music doesn't hold up terribly well thru the years.

Def Leppard: Here's a band from the 80's you can still listen to today without getting an unusual amount of funny looks. Their recent stuff is OK, but they avoided being pigeonholed with the other hard rockers from the 80's, and you can still listen to "Hysteria," "Pyromania," or even "Adrenalize" safely today.

AC/DC: I've always preferred them with Bon Scott. They were good to start the 80's ("Back In Black"), then sucked until "The Razor's Edge" came out. Since then, they've made a few good songs, and a bunch of vanilla efforts that all sound alike.

Aerosmith: Once they reunited in 1985, they were viable again. "Done With Mirrors" wasn't a terrific comeback album, but it was a declaration of intent that nicely set up "Permanent Vacation." After that, the radio stations liked them again, and a new generation of fans snatched up their records. "Pump" was their best album of the 80's, and they reached their post-reuniting peak with "Get A Grip" in '93. Since then, they've been on a creative slide. I still like the band, but more for their 70's stuff and the mid-80's thru '93 than anything recent like "Just Push Play."

Whitesnake: I was never a big fan of their songs, but damn were their videos easy to watch! Tawny Kitaen slinking around on the hood of a car was the perfect symbol of 80's pop-metal. Steve Vai was the best of a revolving lineup that played around David Coverdale, who was completely unworthy of working with the great Jimmy Page.

Aldo Nova: Another band I was never really into. I think I liked one of their songs ("Blood on the Bricks?") back then, but I never made an effort to follow them.

Duran Duran: Another guilty pleasure band. Surprisingly, I think their music has stood up to time fairly well, considering all their songs are quite catchy but ultimately empty.

The The: Never into them.

Depesche Mode: I didn't really discover them until the early 90's, and I still wouldn't call myself a fan. I like some of their stuff, but never got into the band too much.

The Clash: 100% overrated.

Styx: Tommy Shaw was the only good thing to come out of this band. He's a good musician and songwriter, and his later contributions to Damn Yankees were excellent.

Queen: Freddie was probably the best singer hard rock ever had. They got a little hoity-toity in their songs from time to time, and the 70's were probably kinder to them than the 80's. Still, Queen was a band whose music won't be forgotten.

David Bowie: I think he was replaced by a pod person in the 80's. It's the only excuse for how a man whose music was so good in the 70's -- and got good again in the 90's -- could suck so hard in the 80's. "Modern Love" is probably the only noteworthy song he did the entire decade.

Police: I always thought they were hit and miss, but when they were on, they were damn good.

Sting: It took him a while to find his groove and his niche after leaving The Police, but he was good for a while in the late 80's, probably thru the mid-90s.

Damn, that was a long list...

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Megadeth as Metallica Lite? Dave Mustaine rips Kirk Hammet's face off on the guitar.

Guest godthedog

that is very debatable.

Guest Incandenza
Peter Gabriel - My mom likes him, but I was never really a huge Genesis fan (he's one of the ex-Genesis guys, like Phil Collins, right?)

Peter Gabriel was in Genesis back when they were a prog rock band, though his solo work should never be confused with Phil Collins. Gabriel's solo stuff ranges from funk to soul to world music. Go download "Digging in the Dirt." It's one of my favorite songs at the moment.

And to whomever said the following:

That is very debatable.

Guest Kinetic

I'll need to take issue with The Clash being 100% overrated. Almost everything after London Calling is disposable, but everything up to and including that album is absolute gold. Let's call them about 53% overrated.

Guest HellSpawn

Iron Maiden

Judas Priest

Scorpions

Motley Crue

Ozzy Osbourne

U2

Cinderella

Def Leppard

AC/DC

Aerosmith

I love this bands

Metallica

I like Justice, Master, Garage, Lighting and Black album, after that... is not my taste.

Van Halen

Megadeth

Motorhead

a few songs, Lemmy is really good.

Slayer

never like this band

GnR

Posion

I love both bands

Bad Religion

????

INXS

Cheap Trick

Peter Gabriel

a few songs, Gabriel's "In your eyes" rules in so many levels.

Whitesnake

Great great GREAT BAND, F'n Coverdale Rules !

Aldo Nova

Duran Duran

Good band

The The

Depesche Mode

The Clash

Styx

Queen

David Bowie

Police

Sting

Great guys

Guest DrTom
Megadeth as Metallica Lite?

I guess "Lite" was a poor choice of terms. To me, the biggest difference between the bands was the vast differences between Hetfield and Mustaine as lyricists. Metallica's move toward the mainstream coincided with the end of Megadeth's creative peak, so both bands have been in something of a slow spiral for years. And now with Megadeth's future up in the air (what's the latest on Mustaine's hand, btw?), that leaves only Metallica and their new album that has been 5618465 years in the making.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Word has it he's getting feeling back into it as time passes, is rehabbing like mad, picking around a little, and was quoted with saying on his website "You have -not- heard the last of Megadeth."

Guest The Metal Maniac

So yeah...I'm kinda late, but whatever.

I have the following to say:

Blaze does NOT suck.

I don't find Dickinson's vocals to be too high, nor do I have a problem with Blind Guardian for the most part - But King Diamond gets on my nerves, because the man has an AWESOME voice when it's not high. When he sings lower, I love it.

I would also like to say that Metallica's 3-string run mentioned before isn't really that good in my eyes, because while Master/Lightning rule it, there isn't a whole lot of really great stuff on Kill 'Em All, in my eyes. It does have some of my favourite 'Tallica songs, but, I dunno...it just seems like something is missing from the CD that'd make it great.

Besides, Iron Maiden did Number of the Beast, Piece of Mind and Powerslave. Eat dat. :headbang:

Oh yeah, and don't even CONSIDER listening to some Maiden songs if you're not going to listen to "Hallowed Be Thy Name" and "Fear of the Dark", the latter preferably being from Rock in Rio.

I think I'm done.

Oh, and listen to "Flight of Icarus" too.