TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest The Notorious CRD

You Know You're Right

Guest The Notorious CRD

How many people have heard this? I think it's great and the fact that it sounds so modern amazes me. But what does everyone else think?

Guest evenflowDDT

Oh, so this thing finally got leaked? I was wondering what was taking so long... or are you talking about the live version from The Sermon on the Mount?

Guest The Notorious CRD

It's the official studio track. Apparently the remaining members of Nirvana have come to an agreement with Courtney Love and will release a greatest hits CD with this new track in lieu of putting out a boxed set of all their stuff. A friend of mine heard it on the radio this morning and immediately hunted down an MP3 of it.

Guest Lethargic
A greatest hits album instead of a boxed set? What a terrible idea.

They're both horrible. Who needs to pay 50 dollars for a box set when you can go buy all their CDs at a used store for less than half of that right now? Who needs a greatest hits when everybody that likes Nirvana already has those songs anyway?

Guest godthedog

well with a box set you can release multiple tracks that HAVEN'T BEEN RELEASED YET. that's the difference.

there's lots of good nirvana stuff that didn't make it to the studio albums. 'verse chorus verse' is one of my favorite nirvana songs.

Guest NoCalMike

What more do people need of Nirvana? I don't need studio dribble drabble. I am sure 90% of people have everything they want. There are those who will go out and buy every bit and piece, swearing up and down it is great, and they will probobaly listen to the tracks once or twice and then never again......

Guest Lethargic
well with a box set you can release multiple tracks that HAVEN'T BEEN RELEASED YET. that's the difference.

there's lots of good nirvana stuff that didn't make it to the studio albums. 'verse chorus verse' is one of my favorite nirvana songs.

Well if you know how great the song is then you obviously have already heard it. Why would you need a box set then? They could easily just put all that stuff out on a CD and give people a whole CD of new shitty Nirvana songs that weren't good enough to make it on the albums.

Guest evenflowDDT

From what I've heard about the box set, like most box sets, its geared more towards hardcore fans of the band than the average consumer. In which case, they'd appreciate stuff like that, since these are the types of fans that already collect every bootleg of rare Nirvana material anyway, so the chance to get some of that stuff in upgraded quality on an official release is a great thing for them.

As for a greatest hits CD, you're right Leth, everyone already has the Nirvana singles on CD anyway. Also, Nirvana falls under the "not enough albums to 'deserve' a greatest hits" category in my opinion, which is why I think its a dumb idea, even with "You Know You're Right" on it.

Guest mesepher

how are they going to make a greatest hits package out of 4 studio disks? This is really dumb. Nirvana fans aren't born everyday anymore, anyone who is into them already has the albums and has no need for a greatest hits disk. They're better off just releasing a disk of rarities because no one is going to buy a greatest hits disc when they already own all of the songs elsewhere.

Guest treble charged

I downloaded the song, and it's nothing special. It's not bad, but I don't think that it's going to motivate a lot of people to buy a box set.

Guest Kinetic

Let's say a box set was released and it had all of their studio albums--let's put the live one and Unplugged in there, too--plus two discs of rarities, outtakes, unreleased stuff, etc. Would any of you buy it? I don't know that I would.

Guest treble charged

That would be a shit load of money, though. I mean, you have 7 CDs there (is that right?), that's a lot of money for the average person to spend on music.

Guest Lethargic
Let's say a box set was released and it had all of their studio albums--let's put the live one and Unplugged in there, too--plus two discs of rarities, outtakes, unreleased stuff, etc. Would any of you buy it? I don't know that I would.

No. I have all that. Actually I don't have the live one and Nevermind. But I could get those for like 5 dollars used. And two days later the songs I don't have will be online.

Guest godthedog

depends on the rarities. if they go the 'peel slowly and see' route and stuff as many rarities as possible on every studio disk and set aside a whole other disk for rarities, i am there.

what i'd like to see on a box set:

here she comes now

marigold (regular & acoustic versions)

verse chorus verse

oh the guilt

you know you're right (live and studio)

born in a junkyard

d7

i hate myself and i want to die

even in his youth

in his hands

moist vagina

spank thru

opinion

that's more than enough for a stand-alone disk, & i'm sure there's more good stuff i haven't heard yet. i know all these are available elsewhere, but the whole point of a box set is to get all the stuff in one place, & lots of these tracks deserve the cleanup treatment.

Guest Kinetic

Peel Slowly and See is definitely the template upon which all box sets should be modeled. My only complaint would be the placement of some of the live tracks, etc. before the album cuts. The actual album should always, always be the first thing on the disc. Other than that, it's perfect. Nirvana seemingly has enough stuff that people haven't heard to support that, too. I kind of wish they were releasing a box set now.

As far as the price thing is concerned, it shouldn't be too off-putting to the average consumer when they realize how much music they're getting. I got the VU box set for about $60 and I consider that a bargain. The only concern, as has been voiced here a couple of times, is that most people who would be interested in it already have all the studio albums. If they released the set in ten years, though, it'd probably be a smashing financial success.

Guest evenflowDDT
how are they going to make a greatest hits package out of 4 studio disks? This is really dumb.

In relation to this (sorta), Rhino recently put out a Soul Coughing "greatest hits" album. They only had 3 studio albums... from what I've heard the band had nothing to do with it though, and it was a contractual thing. Could be the case here, and probably is, since it sounds like this was the only way Courtney would let "You Know You're Right" be released.

Guest Lethargic

By the way, the press release says they are releasing a greatest hits CD AND a box set AND a rarities disc.

So everybody can be happy. Whichever thing you wanted you'll be able to get.

Guest cobainwasmurdered

I like the song alot, it's not one of the best songs they ever did but it's better then alot of the crap that gets major air time lately.

Guest evenflowDDT

I actually like YKYR a LOT, but part of the reason for that is that to me it doesn't sound like a Nirvana song.

Guest Kibagami

Nirvana and a GREATEST HITS album? Fuck that. Cobain'll be rolling in his grave when that happens....damn that wench Courtney Love. Perhaps she killed him after all.

IT'S A CONSPIRACY~

S.

Guest cabbageboy

I just heard the song today on the radio...to be honest I thought it kinda sucked and I'm a major Nirvana mark. That said, it was completely different from the preceding 3 songs that were routine safe modern rock tracks.

It's the kinda throwaway song that woulda been ok on Incesticide but is kinda goofy for a single.

That said, if there is a rarities CD I am there.

Guest cobainwasmurdered
Nirvana and a GREATEST HITS album? Fuck that. Cobain'll be rolling in his grave when that happens....damn that wench Courtney Love. Perhaps she killed him after all.

IT'S A CONSPIRACY~

S.

*nods

Everytime I hear the song it grows on me a little more though and like I siad It blows all the other current hits outta the water.

The problem is that Nirvana fans have been waiting 8 YEARS for this song so they exepect it to be better than it possibly could be.

Guest Edwin MacPhisto

I like it muchly. It's got the super-crisp production of Nevermind and the absolutey spot-on wrathful rage of In Utero's grisliest tracks. Steve Albini definitely got nowhere near this track...I really like this one a lot.

I still won't buy the Greatest Hits, though. Scamtastic bitch.

Guest cobainwasmurdered

I'll buy it just because I feel the need to own everything to do with Nirvana.

Guest cynicalprofit

I love taht new song, she hates me, it so rocks...oh wait wrong band.

Ill pick up the box set in the future, but not now. Im not a huge fan, but seeing as Kurts dead and this is the last chance to really fuck over his career, which from what i heard it doesnt, in time itll be mine. If i can find it used. It seems the longer Kurts been dead, the more i respect him.

Guest BifEverchad
I'll buy it just because I feel the need to own everything to do with Nirvana.

Dito.

Testify my brotha!

Guest cobainwasmurdered

*testifys*

BTW. wasn't this song supposed to contain negative lyrics toward That Murdering Bitch (courtney)?

So what do you think> are they negative towards her?

Guest Vitamin X

I'm still too overwhelmed with the awesomeness of the song to dissect its lyrics...at first I was kind of disappointed with it, but I probably jsut overhyped it for myself and now it's fuckin awesome.. And also, I think it is a box set, and I would LOVE to buy the box set, as I'm usually terrible with buying CD's and shit and since all of them got jacked recently, and I have to rebuild my CD collection (which only consists of one Nirvana CD right now, Unplugged), I would LOVE the box set. But that'd be selfish. heheheheheh

Guest TheyCallMeMark

I've actually heard it a ton of times by this point, and about the fifth time I "got it" (mostly cuz I figured out he was saying "pain" not "hey") and I have to say I feel it was Cobain's best track, top three at least. None of his songs send a chill up my spine like "You Know You're Right". I even like the ending when he's repeating "You Know You're Right" and twords the end they bring in the "pain" thing in over and over until it's the only thing left. I'm still pretty blown away by how great that song is right now. I dunno, but I think if Nirvana had unleashed one more album it would have been helacious. And whoever commented on how modern it sounded- you're right.