TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest MrRant

League tests Moss following traffic arrest

Guest MrRant
ESPN.com news services

Minnesota Vikings receiver Randy Moss, who made headlines last week for an arrest on misdemeanor traffic charges, is in the NFL's substance abuse program after testing positive for marijuana last season after the death of teammate Korey Stringer, ESPN's Chris Mortensen has learned.

Sources have told Mortensen that Moss was tested for drugs following an incident Tuesday during which he was accused of pushing a woman with his car in downtown Minneapolis.

If Moss tests positive, he will be suspended by the NFL. There is no word on when the league will release results of Moss' test. The Vikings, off to an 0-3 start, play in Seattle on Sunday night (ESPN, 8:30 ET), and Moss will start.

Moss spent Tuesday night in jail and later was charged with careless driving and failure to obey a traffic officer. He faces a maximum penalty of 90 days in jail and a $1,000 fine on each charge. He will be arraigned Wednesday. The Vikings reportedly will fine him up to $50,000.

Police said they found a marijuana cigarette in Moss' Lexus, an amount that would qualify as a petty misdemeanor, with a fine of up to $200. But a city prosecutor said no drug charge had been filed by Thursday evening, and Moss said the marijuana did not belong to him. Other people have had use of the car, he said.

Moss didn't directly say who the marijuana belonged to, but repeated that others had the use of his car. He said the NFL does not allow the use of marijuana and he tries his best to stay within the rules.

According to police, Amy Zaccardi, a 27-year-old traffic control officer, stepped in front of Moss' car Tuesday night to stop him from making an illegal turn. Police said Moss slowly pushed her along the street, stopping when she fell off the car.

Zaccardi, who's a city employee but not a police officer, was not seriously hurt.

"I don't know if trouble is out to find me, but I'm certainly not out to find trouble," Moss said during a news conference Thursday, during which he apologized to the Vikings, fans and family members, but made no mention of Zaccardi.

Moss later said in an interview with ESPN that he did nothing wrong.

"By the time the woman told me to turn back into the lane that I turned in, it was too late," he said. "The woman had me confused as to what I was supposed to do. There was no conversation. ... All I know is the cuffs are slammed on me, and I'm in the back of the cruiser."

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

I guess he only smokes when he wants too.