TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest kkktookmybabyaway

Madden to MNF! Collinsworth/Buck to be A-Team?

Guest kkktookmybabyaway

From USA Today

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sear.htm

John Madden, the popular NFL television analyst, has been released from the remaining year of his contract with Fox and was nearing a deal to join ABC's Monday Night Football telecasts, a network official and people familiar with the situation said Wednesday night.

Madden is expected to receive a four-year contract from ABC worth about $5 million a year. He was set to make $7.5 million from Fox next year.

The Associated Press reported Thursday morning that ABC will make an announcement early Thursday afternoon in a conference call.

Madden, 65, would join Al Michaels in a pairing of superstar announcers. Dennis Miller and Dan Fouts, who have been on Monday Night Football for the past two seasons and have one year left on their contracts, would be dropped from the broadcast. Fouts likely would remain with the network in some capacity. Miller's status is unclear, though the Associated Press, citing an anonymous industry source, reported that the comedian was offered a minor role with the program.

"I'm under contract to ABC," Fouts said, "I look forward to serving out the remainder of that contract. We will have talks with ABC in the near future."

Fox senior vice president Lou D'Ermilio and Madden's agents, Barry Frank and Sandy Montag, declined to comment. Madden was not available to comment.

Fox recently reported a $397 million loss on its NFL contract. It could not persuade Madden to accept a three-year extension of his deal under which he would have received less annually than he was set to make in 2002.

Also, Madden no longer would have had his partner of 21 years at CBS and Fox, Pat Summerall. Summerall's contract with Fox expired after last season and Fox had decided to remove him from its No. 1 announcing team.

Cris Collinsworth, the stalwart of Fox NFL Sunday studio show, appears likely to succeed Madden on Fox's No. 1 NFL game team. He likely would work with play-by-play man Joe Buck.

"If the opportunity presents itself, and it appears it will, it would be something Cris would have to consider," said Steve Rosner, Collinsworth's agent.

Guest starvenger

Nice to know that MNF has decided to switch to an all-talk format.  Madden's inane commentary means that there's yet one more reason that I can ignore the Monday game.

Guest Army Eye

I like the move.  Fouts was solid but kind of boring.  Miller just never quite fit in.. had a few GREAT lines here and there though.  Overall the trio was lacking any kind of chemistry.  Al Michaels and Madden?  Now that sounds really good.  Both are the best at what they do.

Joe Buck and Cris Collinsworth could be a very good combo too.

Guest Kingpk

So much for MNF's desire to attract younger viewers.  Madden was horrid in the Super Bowl broadcast and his best days are WAY behind him.

Guest Tony149

I like the Madden/Michaels pairing. Sure Madden is getting up their, but he's still the best out there. Like Army Eye said. Miller just never fit in. He can go back to his HBO show (If that's still around).

Guest Sassquatch

I read this in my  morning paper today and I nearly hit the roof.

Collinsworth is somebody that I enjoy listening to and I am happy that he is going to be in the booth calling the games.

Buck I am hesitant about but I am willing to give him a chance.

And Fouts was going to get screwed here no matter what.  One of the biggest complaints I have heard about the MNF trio is that Fauts and Miller sound too much alike and that confuses people.

Madden and Micheals will be interesting to watch.

The Miller experiment has failed and it is time to put him out to pasture.

Guest Choken One

No, Miller needs to stay...keep him in any way...dump Dickerson and have Miller rant on the sidelines during boring Giants games.

Guest starvenger

>No, Miller needs to stay...keep him in any way...dump Dickerson and have Miller rant on the sidelines during boring Giants games.

When did they ever let Miller rant?

Guest kkktookmybabyaway

As much as I hate Mr. Miller, I think a reduced role might work out for him. Give him a sideline "rant" twice a game or something.

As big a Madden mark as I have been over the years, I know his best days are long behind him. However, you can't get much better in the play-by-play department then Al.

Guest Tony149

I just heard on TV that ABC also got rid of Eric Dickerson. That's a good thing. He may have been a good football player, but he sucked as an interview.

Guest bps "The Truth" 21

I hate MAdden more than anyone I've ever heard call a game.

Now I have to turn on the radio on Monday nights....but at least I can start watching Fox again.

Guest Vern Gagne

Oh joy. Madden and Micheals. One washed up clueless yutz and the most overrated play by play man in sports, Al Micheals. I'd be suprised if these two egos can fit in the booth at the same time.

Can't say I'm exited about Cris Collinsworth replacing Madden. For christ sakes you've got Johnston and Aikman. They're clearly the best announcing team in the NFL. If Collinsworth does leave the studio wonder who is replacment will be.A possibility might be Tony Siragusa.

Why is Buck the #1 announcer for the NFL. He'll miss almost half the games because of the baseball playoffs. If he can't make a full time commitment than get someone else for the top team.

Where does everyone think Dan Fouts will end up.Fouts is still under contract with ABC so unless he's bought out he'll probably end up doing College Football. Which, IMO was where he really shined.

Guest Eraser2K2

Actually, Miller was offered a reduced role, but didn't want it.  I also agree that Madden is past his prime, but that he did the Super Bowl better than I figured he would.  Maybe this new team, show and night will change him a little and make him better.  

And Fouts was doing REALLY good doing college football before he was hired for MNF.  Going back there will be great for him, and good for us.

Guest kkktookmybabyaway

"Can't say I'm exited about Cris Collinsworth replacing Madden. For christ sakes you've got Johnston and Aikman. They're clearly the best announcing team in the NFL. If Collinsworth does leave the studio wonder who is replacment will be.A possibility might be Tony Siragusa."

I totally agree regarding Moose, Aikman and Stockton (sp?). They weren't perfect in calling their games this past year, but they were entertaining. Losing Collinsworth in the studio would be another blow for me becasue I enjoyed that pre-game crew chemistry.

BTW: What's everybody's opinion about Mr. Sanders and his job at CBS? Personally, I enjoy his segments a lot.

Guest Kingpk

Actually, there may be some good coming out of this:

Madden NFL 2003 will probably have Melissa Stark.