TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Tyler McClelland

Being lost = underrated

Guest Tyler McClelland

I seem to have found a new pastime: getting lost.

Don't get me wrong, it's probably the scariest thing in the world. However, I've done it so much lately that I can truly say I'm a veteran.

My parents came up to my school this weekend and gave me my car FINALLY... so I was faced with the dilemma

I started out by going to McDonalds on the other side of town. No big deal there, I've been on main street and stuff... so, on Monday, I went out to Burger King out by Wal-Mart. That involves highway driving, so it was a little more dangerous (heh). However, I arrived there just fine and whatnot.

Tuesday, I was bored. My roommates and I all went to Wal-Mart (My roommate drove) and when I got home, I was bored. Since I need to take a test drive to the airport, I decided to take off and look for it. I start driving, hit up the highway, go to 219 south and arrive at a junction... I thought I saw a sign to the airport about two miles back, so I take the exit and start driving. I drive for about five miles and I realize "Oh, shit, I've got NO clue where I'm going." I forge on and see no signs for the airport. I start getting scared because frankly, being lost is scary. FINALLY, I realized I was on the right road and I realized that what had seemed like an hour was really about 15 minutes... and the trip was fine. However, I was very lost for those 15 minutes and it scared me.

I got home after class and realized I didn't want to eat cafeteria food again today, so I decided to trek out to Olean, NY (about 30 miles away) to go to Applebee's. Uhh... not exactly gourmet dining, but hey, it works. I start driving and listening to music... I was having fun for a while; that is, until I started to get lost again. I'm driving along at sixty five miles per hour and I can't find the friggin' exit. All of a sudden, I see the I-86 junction turn off... and I'm in the wrong lane with about 100 feet to slow down and get over two lanes. I managed to do it without skidding (it was close though) and that should have been my first sign that I shouldn't have been going to Olean. Well, I drive along on I-86... 65 miles per hour in the pitch black... and I start to get a bit freaked out. If I almost missed the turn off the first time, I'm gonna miss it again. I saw an Applebee's sign in some other town (apparently, it's a pastime in SW New York) and just decided to cut my losses and go to that one, instead. I get off the highway and start driving towards the food signs and I end up in some tiny hick town in the middle of nowhere. I keep driving and, with Slipknot blaring through my car, start to panic. I have NO FUCKING CLUE where I'm going and the music isn't helping my temperament. FINALLY, I find the restaurant, go in, calm down, eat a good dinner... then leave and get ready to drive again. I put on the CD player again (probably a mistake) and start driving back the same way I came. Well, that's when the fun begins.

I drive down the road the same way I came and I reach that juncture where I came to this God-forsaken town. The sign says I-86 East, Olean. I don't want to go east, I want to go west. However, I at least knew where Olean is... so I debated (all in about 5 seconds) whether or not to turn onto the highway and just go to Olean, turn around, then come back to Bradford. However, I decided to just look for the I-86 west juncture, instead. I mean, how hard can it be to find? So, I drive along and I notice after a bit that it seems to have been way too long... I debate turning around, but like a typical guy, I think I'm right so I keep going straight... for about 20 minutes, when I realize I'M IN THE MIDDLE OF A FUCKING INDIAN RESERVATION, IN THE PITCH BLACK, ON A ONE LANE ROAD IN THE MIDDLE OF THE WOODS. THIS IS WHERE PEOPLE GET SHOT AND ARE NEVER, EVER FOUND BECAUSE NOBODY LIVES THERE. Heh, so I continue along this road for a while and see a sign for "Ten Mile Road." I think, "Well shit, I've seen that road... it goes to the interstate highway! I'm saved!" Only, it turns out to be another fucking one lane road and I hang a quick u-turn. I look around me and, sure enough, there's a "Nine Mile Road", "Four Mile Road", "Seven Mile Road", and... the topping on my sundae of confusion, "Ten Mile Drive." At this point, I'm about to cry because I was so lost. I decide to simply turn around and travel back about a half hour to the highway and go to Olean instead. At least there I know I can find my way back to Bradford.

I'm flipping out and FINALLY, I make it to the highway. I almost blow through the intersection, but my trusty car's breaks hold up and I make it onto the exit ramp... when I finally saw the first good thing I've seen all night; the juncture to I-86 WEST is right there! I could have saved AN HOUR by just going there. Great thinking, Mark.

I continue down the highway and it seems to fly by. I'm back in a good mood because of my utter genius in finding I-86 again. Heh. All of a sudden, out of nowhere, the 219 juncture hops out at me and, AGAIN, I'm in the wrong fucking lane. I am so happy nobody in the world lives near Bradford, PA, or I'd be so screwed. I barely manage to get onto the ramp, then I drive as slow as possible in the pitch black night back to campus... FINALLY.

Then, I sat down and calmed down a bunch, almost laughing at my stupidity and telling myself I'm never going to drive around and get lost again. Until I get bored again.

Guest crusen86

Um, I used to get lost in the backstreets surronding Muzz's house. I'm good now.

Guest Muzz

Indeed, those back streets are hard to navigate. It's good when certain relatives can't find the house though.