TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Black Tiger

Looking to get into the Puro scene?

Guest Black Tiger

If your reading this thread, then your a new fan to the world of Puroresu. Here is some information to help you get a better understanding of it, and save you from asking tons of questions on the board that can be answered in here.

1. What are some good Puroresu news websites?

Puroresu Power is run by Zach Arnold and covers the Puroresu and MMA scene.

Strong Style Spirit which is run by Stuart has the most up to date news involving the NJPW scene.

Oudou Love has the most up to date news involving the AJPW scene.

Green Destiny has the most up to date news involving the NOAH scene.

2. What are some good matches I should watch?

Look in the thread called "Matches to check out" people who post in this folder all made their own choices of matches that we felt were required viewing.

3. Where are some good places to buy tapes?

Triple Crown Tapes has many Japanese master videos with decent prices.

Wrestleholics are another site with good VQ with cheap prices

Golden Boy Tapes have the cheapest prices around and is a great place to buy puroresu tapes in bulk

There are tons of other dealers as well, for example Jeff Lynch, he's based offline but I'm sure someone will post his e-mail.

4. What are some tape sites to avoid?

The Wrestling Emporium they are notorious for false advertising and ripping off people.

5. What are some good sites to read tape reviews.

Air Raid Crash run by the Puro folder's own Chris Coey, who has one hell of a good mind for wrestling.

Rolling Germans run by Justin Baisden of 411Wrestling.com and features reviews from posters like Dangerous A and Black Tiger.

Smark Talk with many reviews from posters of this folder.

Wrestling Viewpoint! Stuart has reviewed more wrestling tapes than anyone on the net, even more than useless moron useless moron useless moron useless moron Scott Keith.

6. Where can I learn more about (fill in name of wrestler or promotion)?

The rosters section of Strong Style Spirit has many career biographies of different wrestlers, Wrestling Viewpoing also has a FAQ with tons of information regarding different promotions.

That covers it for me, if anyone wants to add anything then by all means go ahead, but please try to restrict yourself to giving informaiton only, this is not a thread for discussion, that's what the rest of the board is for.

Guest PlatypusFool

For UK puroresu enthusiasts, there are two really worthwhile tape sites to visit where you won't have to pay massive shipping costs to get your tapes;

- Strong Style Tapes

Has a massive collection of tapes from a wide variety of promotions, is very reasonably priced and produces every tape with a lovely cover and proper video box. However, he is such a large trader now that he lacks the personal touch in his service, and knows very little about the tapes in his collection, as he doesn't even have time to watch the vast majority of them anymore. His VQ and 'level of clipping' ratings are also misleading, although he is improving in this respect, so be careful.

- Niall Boyle

Niall has several major advantages over Strong Style; he knows the tapes he's selling, he's a very nice bloke, his VQ is always superb, he's pretty damn cheap and he's likely to get Jap TV much quicker than anyone else in the UK. Although his vids don't come with a cover, and not even a match listing, you can always print your own off if you are that way inclined.

Addition:

- David Pick

David is the quickest of the three by a long way, I ordered about eleven tapes off him and they came within a week. For crying out loud, the guy is a mentalist. He's also the cheapest of the three, but only marginally cheaper than Niall. His VQ suffers slightly, but it's still watchable by a long way. His only bad point really is his limited selection, which just doesn't cover as much ground as Niall.

Guest Black Tiger

MERCHANDISE

Highspots has tons of puroresu related items, everything from tapes, t-shirts, magazines, and even wrestling gear and masks.

I'm looking to buy some All Japan and New Japan shows for Christmas. I need some recommendations for full shows to get, maybe three or four for each and maybe a couple of Michinoku Pro shows. Just the best shows to introduce me to puroresu.

I'm looking to buy some All Japan and New Japan shows for Christmas. I need some recommendations for full shows to get, maybe three or four for each and maybe a couple of Michinoku Pro shows. Just the best shows to introduce me to puroresu.

Uh, somebody needs to delete this thread's last three posts(including this one). This isn't a thread for discussion, it's a recommendation thread for web sites where you can find puro related information.

JustJoe: There was a thread like this not too long ago, probably on the second page. Still, I will answer your question with a pm, if you want others' opinions, start your own thread, or dig up the old thread.

Guest wildpegasus

I'd really appreciate it if someone could make a listing of all the puroresu forums there are that discuss puroresu. Sites that may not be puroresu oriented but still talk about puroresu a good deal would be appreciated too.

I'd really appreciate it if someone could make a listing of all the puroresu forums there are that discuss puroresu. Sites that may not be puroresu oriented but still talk about puroresu a good deal would be appreciated too.

The only other place that I post at is Chris' Spider Twist Boards at Air Raid Crash. It's one of the few places where most people know what their talking about. You can find plenty of insightful mini reviews from others and myself on the Last Fun Matches thread.

There's also some good stuff to be found at ToA.

Usually if you find any intelligent posts on another forum, it's from posters who are also regulars at Spider Twist. That's just from my personal experience.

Guest Dave O'Neill, Journalist

Yeah, no probs.

I actually got a question underneath all this though?

Are there any English Language versions of the websites of the Big Four?

Altavista's translator isn't great

EDIT - Are there any English Language versions of the main Japanese websites, Period, I'm thinking along the lines of SportsNavi and stuff, because that's where Arnold tends to get a lot of his news.....

Guest Black Tiger

For NJPW news your best bet is Stuart, its heavy bias towards NJPW though, for non NJPW news, I usually just read Kris Z's daily "News, Results, and Upcoming shows" posts on DVDVR.

Anyone have any good links to up-to-date Joshi related sites? It seems like just about everyone is a couple years behind on them.

Guest Ray
Anyone have any good links to up-to-date Joshi related sites? It seems like just about everyone is a couple years behind on them.

I don't follow joshi so I don't know, but you might find something here

Guest Contentious C

If you want to be a brainless Toyota fan or a midnight choker (or even both), sure.

Guest Contentious C

There's a good reason for this.

Joshi has been terrible for a while. You don't need to be 'current.' You don't want to be.

Guest Contentious C
For NJPW news your best bet is Stuart, its heavy bias towards NJPW

That's like saying Mary-Kate Olsen is thin, brother.

Guest Connzilla
I have a question what is hustle?

HUSTLE started as a tie in between ZERO-ONE and Dream Stage Entertainment (Pride Fighting). Now it is just a bunch of established characters in silly gimmicks but the whole Zero-ONe roster still involed.

Guest samoapunk

I'm just finding out about Ring of Honor and so far I like what I've read. I went to a local dvd shop the other day and the only ROH DVD they had was the 2002 Round Robin Challenge. I picked it up and now I'm hooked! Since I can't go out and buy all the ROH dvd's at once (though I wish like hell I could) I was wondering what your opinions were on what the best ROH dvd's are, so I can order some up! Thanks!

I'm just finding out about Ring of Honor and so far I like what I've read. I went to a local dvd shop the other day and the only ROH DVD they had was the 2002 Round Robin Challenge. I picked it up and now I'm hooked! Since I can't go out and buy all the ROH dvd's at once (though I wish like hell I could) I was wondering what your opinions were on what the best ROH dvd's are, so I can order some up! Thanks!

ROH, isn't puro. However, there's a thread on this page named "ROH DVD's". I covered the "must buys" of 2005-2006 and I could offer advice on the right shows that still hold up from 2002-2004. Two completely different types of styles in those two respective era's.