TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest ShooterJay

Deathmatches in TNA?

Guest ShooterJay

While hardcore is dead as a prevailing trend in pro wrestling, it's still quite a cult fad in the indies. XPW, CZW, IWA Mid-South, employ hardcore deathmatches as a primary style and have gained a sizeable cult following.

TNA prides itself on being an alternative to WWE style. However, the X Division is running the risk of being overexposed, and needs something else to back it up, IMO. The "main eventers," with the exception of the Truth and JJ, aren't really cutting it.

WWE can't run ultraviolent matches because of decency restrictions by advertisers and the networks. TNA has no restrictions in PPV-land. There are a ton of fans of this style of match, and if they bring in guys who can work this type of match well (who aren't too offensive to the mainstream audience- sorry Wifebeater and Necro Butcher) like Nick Mondo, the Messiah, Adam Flash, Terry Funk, (I'd say Sabu, but that bridge is burnt) it could generate some extra buys.

The downside, however, is that running these types of matches could ruin chances of a TV deal down the line, but in today's TV landscape, it seems like networks will put anything on before wrestling, and they need the PPV buys NOW.

What do you guys think?

Guest DJ Jeff

I think that would be a good idea. Plus, if the NWA:TNA eventually got a TV deal, it would be something totally different from the WWE, which is what wrestling fans need now.

Guest CoreyLazarus416

Hmmm...I'd say make it an ECW-style "Deathmatch," in the sense that the hardcore-as-fuck elements are there, but the UltraViolence (gratuitous blading, scorched skin, etc.) is barely there.

Guest El Satanico

They would have to be very careful with that stuff.

Using "hardcore" elements instead of actual deathmatches would be a better ideal.

But they should only mix "hardcore" elements in with X division type guys. Them getting fat ass "hardcore" guys that don't move well would be a bad idea.

If anything they need more full time X division type guys. If their roster consisted of mainly good small wrestlers, they would truly be an alternative to WWe. Well ok it wouldn't have to be entirely the smaller cruiserweight wrestlers. A roster consisting of at least decent wrestlers regardless of size would be their best way to go towards being WWe's alternative.

Guest ShooterJay

Most of the guys I mentioned (Mondo, Messiah, Flash) are all under 220 pounds, can move very well, and are solid overall workers.

I didn't really mean super-violent matches, I meant harder-core ECW style stuff (like CoreyLazarus said), maybe a little barbwire thrown in once in a while. Stuff like deathmatch tournaments make me ill anyway, I can't watch those.

Guest The Notorious CRD

I dunno if this could work. As Jingus pointed out, they ARE based in Nashville, where hardcore isn't king. It's not even the court jester. They have a totally different mindset than, say, the fans in Philly.

Guest J*ingus

The old Memphis territories had their blood every now and then, and even some medium-core barbed wire matches once every blue moon, but mostly TN is not a good place to do the hardcore/deathmatch style.

Guest oldschoolwrestling

They have already overused the ladder. The last thing we need to do is start overusing barbed wire, trashcans, tables, chairs, etc.

I can't wait for the first cage match, but other than that, stick to wrestling.

Guest pete

For a death match to work their has to be a strong angle involved. You can't just roll out a death match and have the fans go ape shit over it. A death match should be a blow off for a feud.

Guest Youth N Asia

1. They don't have the right workers for those matches.

1. They screw it up

Hall hits Monty Brown with a chair

Teney: "WHOAAA!!!! HARDCORE!!!"

West: "That was extreme, Mike!"

They'd have just another lame hardcore divison.

Guest goodhelmet

i think it's a bad idea but not for the reasons mentioned. i think one of the reasons wrestling has lost its appeal is because of the hardcore antics and wacky hijinx. you raise the bar so high and then it's harder to get lost in a match and suspend your disbelief. instead of a more hardcore style, they need to actually get back to basics and re-educate the damn fans. put over the psychology. put over the match building and feeling out process. ROH has attempted to do this (but even they have fallen into the hardcore trash trap) and WWE half-heartedly attempts this every once in a while. There is a huge portion of WRETLING fans who are turned off by today's product. go back to the basics and some of these fans may return.