TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest HellSpawn

Best Batman Stories

Guest HellSpawn

Hey Yo !

Well, the topic title is clear, but to make thing easier...

This one is not only closed to Batman Titles. Meaning? Example? Look at this...

In my book, JLA New World Order or Tower of Babel, it could be called... a Batman tale even when its a JLA book.

X-overs are ok too.

And... maybe even any related to the Batman Family: Azrael, Batgirl, Catwoman, Huntress, Robin, Oracle, Birds of Prey.

So, give me your Top 10 Batman Stories.

I'll be back with mine on a couple of days.

Guest J*ingus

My favorite overall would probably be Arkham Asylum, just a wonderfully drawn and written book. The Killing Joke and the Black & White collections rule as well.

Guest pochorenella

I may not have enough favorites for a top ten but a few stories come to mind:

That storyarc from way back, with Hugo Strange finding out who Batman was, impersonating him, and then dying protecting his secret. Ultra-cool stuff.

I'm really fond of Batman and Supes "first meeting" on the Man of Steel mini-series.

Sword of Azrael is also one of my favorites. Great art by John Quesada.

Dark Knight Returns, of course.

Guest Sassquatch

Being a fan of Batman since I can remember, I have dozens of Batman stories that I consider being my favorites.

I suggest that everyone here track down the "Greatest Batman Stories Ever Told" TPB that was released in '89. It's a bithcin TPB with nearly all of the best single issue Batman books in it.

If I *had* to pick one Batman story that I could read over and over, I'd have to go with Batman: The Killing Joke.

Honorable mention goes to:

Batman #243 & #244: If anyone has seen the BTAS episode where Batman follows Ra's into the desert to stop him from destroying the world then you will be familiar with the events that take place in these books.

Detective Comics #485 - #500: A member of the Batman Family is slain in brutal fashion in the opening story to this storyarc and there isn't anything Batman can do to stop it. Batman takes on the task of going after the League of Assassins who were responsible for the murder and it looks like Batman is on a suicide mission. People always talk about Batgirl and Jason Todd but they never talk about the one woman who Batman almost married years ago. This story is hardcore Batman as he loads up on his arsenal and prepares to take down the League. But wherever the League is involved, Ra's Al Ghul is not too far behind. Awesome storyarc.

Detective Comics #481 & #482: Classic Batman with an awesome story to boot. Batman must find out how certain people are dropping dead and Batman goes UBER~! detective on everyone and tracks down the killer. But the story goes deeper as the killings involve Batman's father and Batman is determined to find out what's the connection with his father and the murders. The last issue in this storyarc has perhaps one of the greatest Batman fights I have ever seen. Batman fights a...giant white gorilla? Yeah, you heard me. Batman has one of his greatest fights with a giant ape. If you want to see Batman tested in a real fight then this is the book for you. They beat the living fuckshit out of each other and I'll be damned if it doesn't grab you. And the ape beats Batman! Well, kind've/sort've/not really but it's still a damn fine storyarc with one of the best Batman fights I have ever seen. This fight *smokes* the Lady Shiva fight that Batman had with her in issue #427 and most Batman fans will tell you that was his greatest fight. I beg to differ.

Batman #357 - #359 and Detective Comics #525 - #527: This stroyarc is the debut of Killer Croc and he comes in frickin huge! Croc is given the God/Christ push as a badass who can hand Batman his ass and surprisingly it doesn't look forced/contrived. Croc quickly becomes the head boss of all the major Gotham City gangs after Rupert Thorn bit the big one in issue #356 of Batman. Croc kicks ass and takes names in his goal of running Gotham City and even convinces all of Batman's enemies to join him. Crazy stuff. Croc is also given the Godliest of pushes by being the man responsible for the death's of Jason Todd's circus family folks and thus Robin 2 was born from this storyarc (we can all blame Croc for Jason Todd's existence as a Robin). If you all thought that Bane was given the God push of all pushes to make someone look like the baddest ass guy in Gotham, think again. Croc had that role under lock and key back in this storyarc and it's all good.

Batman #454 - #456: This was the storyarc that *made* the Post Crisis Riddler. In this story called "Dark City" the Riddler wreaks havoc in Gotham and Batman is on the brink of going insane near the end of this story. People always thought that the Riddler was a dumbass and a pussy. But if you want to see just how fucking evil and maniacal the Riddler can be, then this is the storyarc to buy.

Guest Pop Culture God

Any of the O'Neil/Adams stuff is at least above average with a lot of classic stuff. "Night of the Reaper" is a great example of their prowess.

Guest areacode212

I really loved Ted McKeever's short "Perpetual Mourning" from the first Black & White series.

Guest crandamaniac

Is that the one with the autopsy of the woman 212?

Anyways, my favorite single Batman story was also in the Black & White Series. It was a story called "Civic Virtue" about a guy who just snaps and kills people just because they do something that doesnt' go along with the rules. Really good read, if I may say so myself

Guest HellSpawn

I still need more time, but here a few of my picks...

With a little comment.

Sword of Azrael

Great Art

Great New Character, Denny and Joe made an amazing add to Bats Mythos

Well written story.

JLA: New World Order

Even when Batman hangs up with 6 "Gods", he still show us who is the Man!

Best quotes/momments:

Hyperion "Batman? Don't be ridiculous. What can a Pathetic, fragile creature like Batman do to Us?"

Hyperion again "Batman! Batman ! He's only a Man!" While Superman looks confident again.

Damn, in fact all the last pages on #3 are cool as hell !

Batman kickin serious ass, beating 4 martians !

and Super tellin Hyperion one little comment:

Hyperion "...He's only a Man!"

Superman "The most... uh... Dangerous man on Earth..."

Back with a few more favs...

Obviously 2 Millers

Dark Knight Returns

BEST BATMAN YARN EEEEVER!

Miller/Janson/Varley gave us a great great great story.

Batman: Year One

Miller/Mazzuchelli

Amazing tale!

I dont think I need to go deep on this yarns, but both are Classics.

I have a few more, but I need to fly, Ill be back soon with more...

Guest areacode212

crand: yeah, it was the autopsy story. I'm going to have to pick up the B&W TPB one of these days, so I can reread those great stories.

Didn't they just come out with a new Batman: B&W? Is it as good as the first set?

Guest crandamaniac

I believe they did come out with another B&W series, but the only one I know after the original is the one they used as back-up stories in Gotham Knights

Guest HellSpawn

I think the new B&Wis a compillation of Gotham Knights backup stories. maybe with a few new ones, but mostly are GK reprints.

Guest Cerebus The Aardvark

The Killing Joke is the best, hands down. That story is just perfect; the juxtapositioning of the past (the Red Hood) with the present was just great stuff. Besides, the Joker is easily the greatest villain in comic history, and possibly the greatest character in comic history, and this story just adds another layer to it.

I found The Long Halloween to be quite an excellent read as well. It has a very Year One-esque feel to it, IMO, and it is very well written and drawn beautifully.

That is all.

Guest Vyce
Batman #357 - #359 and Detective Comics #525 - #527: This stroyarc is the debut of Killer Croc and he comes in frickin huge! Croc is given the God/Christ push as a badass who can hand Batman his ass and surprisingly it doesn't look forced/contrived. Croc quickly becomes the head boss of all the major Gotham City gangs after Rupert Thorn bit the big one in issue #356 of Batman. Croc kicks ass and takes names in his goal of running Gotham City and even convinces all of Batman's enemies to join him. Crazy stuff. Croc is also given the Godliest of pushes by being the man responsible for the death's of Jason Todd's circus family folks and thus Robin 2 was born from this storyarc (we can all blame Croc for Jason Todd's existence as a Robin). If you all thought that Bane was given the God push of all pushes to make someone look like the baddest ass guy in Gotham, think again. Croc had that role under lock and key back in this storyarc and it's all good.

Batman #454 - #456: This was the storyarc that *made* the Post Crisis Riddler. In this story called "Dark City" the Riddler wreaks havoc in Gotham and Batman is on the brink of going insane near the end of this story. People always thought that the Riddler was a dumbass and a pussy. But if you want to see just how fucking evil and maniacal the Riddler can be, then this is the storyarc to buy.

These are two prime examples of what pisses me off about the DC editors & the writers they employ.

Croc & Riddler come off strong....and where are they now?

Croc's a retard (although it'll be interesting to see what's done with him by Loeb in Batman #608). Riddler's a pussy. [bTW, as an aside, this is why I've always enjoyed the animated version of the Riddler - for the most part, he was very menacing; less of a loony, silly bastard.]

If I had to pick my fave Batman story, it'd probably be Arkham Asylum. That's some wonderfully dark work there. Any comic that gives serious reference to "The Golden Bough" deserves my respect.

"Almost absently, I wonder where her head is. Then I look at the doll house.

And the doll house

looks

at

me."

Heavy.

Guest Mattdotcom

Holy crap, Vyce, I used that Buddy Icon for about a year. You've shot up on my list.

I'm looking to pick up some Bat-books soon, so I'm hoping that I'll find some good stuff to share here. I mean, who doesn't like Year One, Long Halloween, or DKR?

Guest Sassquatch

Matt, I suggest that you try to pick up this month's new Batman comic Batman #608. It is the debut issue of the creative team of writer Jeph Loeb (Long Halloween) and artist Jim Lee (artist for a buncha crap). The 12 issue storyarc that they have planned is called "Hush" and it looks like it will be interesting to read to say the least.

Guest Mattdotcom

Oh, dude, don't worry. I've already decided to start picking up "Hush" and have been couting down the days. It's out Wednesday, I'm thinking.

And thanks for picking up my psychic waves to reply with your suggestion, Sass. You seem like the guy I'd ask for Bat-comics info.

And while we're talking about Batman, I'd like to remind everyone that Cartoon Network is airing The New Batman Adventures before Toonami (2:30 central).

Guest Sassquatch

Aw fuck.

I missed the Bat block that Cartoon Network shows over here. The block starts at 3:30 with Batman: The Animated Series alonhg with Batman Beyond at 4:00.

Damnit.

:(

Guest BA_Baracus

I plan on switching over to Batman from Detective comics with Loeb and Lee taking over.

I was enjoying Detective for a while, but with Rucka writing about 500 different comics, he obviously isn't giving much attention to Detective comics anymore, since lately it's been totally lifeless.

Plus they dumped the kick ass 2-colour scheme and have a bunch of really lousy artists working on the book.

Guest Sassquatch

Yeah, I saw that when I looked at my TV Guide earlier today.

Great, more terribly dubbed and censored DBZ crap. Batman Beyond was a nice addition to the Bat Block which is no more thanks to Cartoon Network's monkey's in suits.

Guest areacode212
I plan on switching over to Batman from Detective comics with Loeb and Lee taking over.

I was enjoying Detective for a while, but with Rucka writing about 500 different comics, he obviously isn't giving much attention to Detective comics anymore, since lately it's been totally lifeless.

Plus they dumped the kick ass 2-colour scheme and have a bunch of really lousy artists working on the book.

Well, Rucka is gone now (Brubaker is switching titles). I thought his final issue was pretty good, and it let us have one last Bruce/Sasha scene. Other than that, I agree, the last few months of 'Tec have sucked. Stupid crossover garbage ruined it.

But he's been on the Batbooks ever since NML and he had a great run overall, so I don't mind him leaving so much now.

Also, he's doing that new book about the Gotham cops (one of the reasons I loved his 'Tec run was how he focused on Montoya & the rest of the GCPD gang) which I'm looking forward too.

Guest Sassquatch

I missed the last Rucka issue and I would like to know what is the deal with Sasha now that Rucka is gone.

Guest BA_Baracus

Brubaker? Oh blech...I'm definitely switching over to Batman.

I'm not as enamored with Rucka's run as you seem to be. I thought his Batman was really weak...he could never figure anything out, or definitively beat any of his enemies. It got frustrating watching him piss around.

I mean, there's no-way it should have taken Batman so long to resolve no-man's land. I guess I just miss the old days when a villian would break out, do some bad stuff and Batman would outsmart him and kick his ass.

Maybe it's more "realistic" the way Rucka writes it, but this is a superhero comic...it's not supposed to be realistic. Plus, I didn't like how he basically moved everything into real time. Ie...since he started a year and a half or 2 years ago, 1 and half to 2 years have passed, while on the other hand the 50 preceeding years of Batman stories took place over the course of about a decade. I dunno'...somehow that seems kind of selfish of Rucka.

Oh, plus the Gotham cops outside of Gordon suck. Just a cheap g-rated version of NYPD Blue.

I did like the Sasha storyline though. That relationship was cool, but then it was ruined by this stupid Checkmate stuff.

Guest gthureson
I missed the last Rucka issue and I would like to know what is the deal with Sasha now that Rucka is gone.

Well, I am assuming you know she was picked up by Checkmate, and her death faked in prison.

Batman essentially lays siege to Checkmate, screwing up their ops left right and centre, and making things miserable for them.

So they finally tell Sasha (who has been trying to live up to Batman standards before she goes into the field for them) to go and deal with the situation. In short, 'Get Batman off our cases whatever way you can.'

So she meets with Bruce, they talk, she bitches him out for playing her like a fool, leaving her in prison. She loved him, she was in jail for months. Yadda yadda.

Bruce tells her he let her find out, needed to bring her in so he'd have some control over the situation. That he does that to everybody...its not her fault.

But he loves her, he wants her around, he's come to realizations, etc.

Sasha ends the issue by kissing him, then telling him not to look for her.

The assumption being she is going to work for Checkmate, and be off doing secret stuff until someone wants to dust the character off.

*Sidenote*

Apparently he facial reconstruction was a dye-job of her hair and getting it cut into sort of a bob, because she looked pretty similar to me.

Guest Sassquatch

It is a shame that the Bruce/Sasha relationship was brought to a somewhat abrupt halt like this when it had so many possible paths that could have been explored. Sasha was given a slow build in the Bat books and she was a nice change of pace from the usually moody and anti-social Batman/Bruce Wayne motif that has become stale over the years.

This all reminds me of the terrible, terrible storyline about how Sharon Carter faked her death all those years ago in Captain America. Sharon came back and had revealed to Cap how she became an undercover field agent for SHEILD which basically turned her into a whore who would fuck and then kill her victim. Hopefully the writer that brings back Sasha will not follow the same route and turn Sasha into another blonde bimbo in the DCU considering the potential she has/had as an interesting character.

Guest HellSpawn

Hey Sass...

Any TPB I can find those Ra's al Ghul stories? I mean TPBs because, HC are really expensive.

And also, I read one topic about Cap n Diamondback, and you pushed both as a nice couple, I confess, I dont have any Cap books, well, I have that Cap quits and John Walker's in story, but I want to have some of that stories you talk on that post. Do you know if they are on TPB? I remember you picked #371, and I'll hunt for that issue, I Hope some of the stores have at least one issue hidden :)

Thanx.

Guest Sassquatch

"Any TPB I can find those Ra's al Ghul stories? I mean TPBs because, HC are really expensive."

- HellSpawn

Ra's did not make an appearance in a Batman comic from #336 - #532.

His last Batman related issue was in Batman #335 and the next one came in Batman #533. That's a long lay-off.

The only TPB's I have seen that have Ra's stories in them are:

Batman: Best of the '70's (has Ra's debut issue Batman #232 in it)

Detective Comics #743 - #750 (the name of the storyline escapes me)

"Do you know if they are on TPB? I remember you picked #371, and I'll hunt for that issue, I Hope some of the stores have at least one issue hidden."

- HellSpawn

Unfortunately Marvel has not put out any TPB's of Captain America like that unless they are Essential TPB's or a Visionaries TPB. You will have to hunt down the issues.

If you want to see Cap and Rachael at their best then I recommend you read issues #368 - #383 of Captain America. Mark Gruenwald was on fire in terms of showing that Cap could be the mack daddy of Marvel if he wanted to. The run also made Cap easier for fans to relate to in how he was unsure if he wanted to get involved with Rachael because of her past and he wasn't sure she would like him. But the relationship did not strip Cap of his priorities and make him look like just another generic super hero love dilemma.

Highly recommended and an example of just how good Gruenwald could be if he set his mind to it.

Guest Mattdotcom

"Detective Comics #743 - #750"

Is that Son of the Demon? If not, find a copy of it, even though it's out-of-continuity.

Guest Sassquatch

No, the Son of the Demon is not a storyarc from the regular Batman or Detective Comics.

The #743 - #750 run in Detective Comics has nothing to do with the SOTD.