TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Paranoid

Ten Greatest feuds!

Guest Paranoid

Without further ado, here are the top 10 greatest feuds ever, as far as the WWF is concerned. Here they are, in no particular order:

Steve Austin vs. Bret Hart

This is perhaps my all-time favorite of any feud. The hatred was so real, so intense, and the matches were so damn good. The whole angle was centered around Austin goading Bret to come out of retirement by insulting him every week on Monday Night Raw. Bret finally came back at the 1996 Survivor Series, and they had an incredible match there, but the feud was just beginning. They had another one of the greatest matches I’ve ever seen at WrestleMania 13, the famous submission match that changed the heel/face dynamic of the feud. My personal favorite night was on an episode of Raw when Austin beat Bret so bad that he had to be taken away in an ambulance, and Austin snuck into the ambulance to attack Bret as he was being carted off to the hospital. Awesome stuff.

Cactus Jack vs. Triple H

This is the feud that made Triple H, who had been somewhat of a lackluster champion up to this point. Mick Foley actually began the feud as Mankind, but had to revert back to his violent Cactus Jack persona to continue the feud. In a famous interview on Smackdown, Foley said that Mankind just wasn’t ready to face Triple H in a street fight, but that fans deserved a substitute. The crowd began to get excited, knowing what was coming. “I think you know the guy, and I think you know him pretty well,” Foley screamed. “His name, is Cactus Jack!” The crowd went bananas, and Triple H put on his greatest facial expression ever, as if he had seen a ghost. They produced two five-star matches, at the Royal Rumble in a street fight and a hell in a cell match at No Way Out, which ended Foley’s career. It put “The Game” on the map, and left fans a great remembrance of Mick Foley.

Bret Hart vs. Owen Hart

Another feud that put on of its participants on the map, this one being Owen Hart. Who better for these two to feud with? They grew up together, they trained together, they know each other’s every move. The motive for Owen to attack Bret and start the feud was simple enough: jealousy. Owen felt Bret was always stealing his spotlight, which Bret denied. The two put on fantastic matches at WrestleMania X and Summerslam ’94, the latter being a cage match. The feud would continually exist up until the spring of 1997, when Bret reformed the Hart Foundation. One would be hard-pressed to find a feud with two more technically sound wrestlers than this.

Hulk Hogan vs. Randy Savage

Another feud born out of jealousy. It began at WrestleMania IV, and culminated a full year later at WrestleMania V. Savage, who was the World champion for that time, formed a tag team with Hogan after Hulk helped him win the title by beating Ted DiBiase. But Savage became suspicious of Hogan’s motives; he thought Hulk wanted to get closer to Elizabeth. So Savage attacked him on an episode of Saturday Night’s Main Event, leading up to the big match at WrestleMania V, when Hogan won the title back. The two worked really well together, and the match was perhaps Hogan’s best ever.

Randy Savage vs. Ric Flair

Another feud that revolved around Elizabeth, but the hatred just oozed from both men in this feud, even more than Hogan/Savage. Flair entered the WWF in late 1991, and won the World title at Royal Rumble ’92. Soon after, Flair produced photos of him together with Elizabeth, Savage’s wife. Flair claimed “she was mine before she was yours … whoooo!” This enraged Savage, and the two battled for weeks leading up to WrestleMania VIII. The match was great, and chock-full of emotion. Savage won the title, which Flair won back a few months later, and every time the two were together the chemistry was awesome. For WWF fans that were introduced to Flair with this, I think it was a very good introduction.

Bret Hart vs. Shawn Michaels

This is perhaps one of the most famous feuds in WWF history, because the two men legitimately do not like each other. They wrestled for the Intercontinental title in 1992, met for the first time on pay-per-view at the 1992 Survivor Series, and feuded off and on until 1996, when the “real” feud began. Shawn beat Bret for the heavyweight title in an iron man match at WrestleMania XII, which began Bret’s hiatus from wrestling. The two re-started their feud in the spring of 1997, and Shawn even walked out on the WWF that summer after the two had a locker room altercation. They met again at the 1997 Survivor Series, and if you don’t know about that match, then what rock were you under?

Steve Austin vs. Vince McMahon

This is the feud that propelled the WWF past WCW, and made it cool to watch wrestling again. It launched the WWF and Steve Austin into the mainstream. People often criticize Vince McMahon for being a shameless self-promoter, and while it is hard to disagree with that, I think one has to admit the awesomeness of this feud. Both men continually got the upper hand from each other, and it extended the freshness. Their in ring meetings were not Flair/Steamboat classics, but the crowd heat was unequaled. Who didn’t want to be Austin, kicking the crap out of his boss? It captured the imagination of wrestling fans all over, and is one people still talk about.

Ted DiBiase vs. Jake Roberts

This feud was a year-long process, as Jake spent some time on the shelf due to an injury. DiBiase taunted him the whole time he was out, and Jake surprised him once during one of his interviews. DiBiase challenged Jake to come out and steal his Million-Dollar belt, which Jake, to everyone’s surprise, did. The two battled back and forth until WrestleMania VI, when DiBiase beat Jake by countout and took the belt back. These were two of the most technically sound wrestlers and best promo-givers in the company, and they worked so well together. Jake’s promo before their big match till ranks as one of my all-time favorites.

Ultimate Warrior vs. Randy Savage

This would be their feud in early 1991, not the 1992 reprise. The feud began when Savage wanted a shot at Warrior’s title, which Warrior refused. So Savage cost Warrior the title in his match with Sgt. Slaughter, and the feud escalated from there. The two had a match at WrestleMania VII, a retirement match. It was the Warrior’s best match ever, and he pinned Savage to “end” Savage’s career. After the match, Sherri attacked the exhausted Savage, only to have Miss Elizabeth return to rescue him. It was a brilliant payoff to an exciting feud.

Hulk Hogan vs. Andre the Giant

The biggest feud Hogan ever had, as it culminated in the famous main event of WrestleMania III before a packed house at the Pontiac Silverdome. Hogan and Andre had been friends for years, until Andre decided to hire Bobby “the Brain” Heenan as his manager and challenge Hogan. He did so on national TV, by ripping not only the Hulkster’s shirt, but the cross from his neck as well. This was the build for the biggest match in wrestling history, and Hogan of course won the match and made history. It still stands as the most famous match ever.

Honorable Mentions

Hulk Hogan vs. Paul Orndorff, 1986

Hulk Hogan vs. Rowdy Roddy Piper, 1986

D-Generation X vs. The Nation, 1998

The British Bulldogs vs. The Hart Foundation, 1986-87

Ricky Steamboat vs. Randy Savage, 1987

Guest kindredone

Thanks for bringing back some great memories!:D

Ted DiBiase vs. Jake Roberts was just AWESOME!

If you were to add other promotions in that list,Raven -vs- Dreamer would be one of my all time favorite fueds.

Guest razazteca

Hardys vs Dudleys vs E&C - from 1999 to 2001 was the only thing going on in the tag team division at the time. The innovation and reinvention of the gimmick matches that these teams had in the Tables, Ladders, and Chairs.....Oh My matches were awe inspiring. Nothing in the midcard was as heated as these teams mocked each other with 5 second poses and midgets to one uppering the other team with high stakes gimmick matches leading up to the TLC. But all of the bumps has made Jeff Hardy insane as now has a fetish for glow-in-the-dark paint......too much pain killers.

Guest Paranoid
Thanks for bringing back some great memories!:D

Ted DiBiase vs. Jake Roberts was just AWESOME!

If you were to add other promotions in that list,Raven -vs- Dreamer would be one of my all time favorite fueds.

Thanks, I was kind of bored and those guys in the No Holds Barred folder seem to think I lack the mental capasity to post an intelligent post. So I since there is a lack of good feuds in todays WWE, I figured it would be cool to remember the good ones. I will probably do the wCw an eCw after a while.

Razazteca I am sorry I forgot that feud. Those were some great matches!

Guest Spaceman Spiff

Before somebody else jumps all over you, there is a "Wrestling Polls & Lists" folder that this would have been better suited for.

Just wanted to give you an FYI before somebody else does it in a less than polite manner.

Guest shez316

That was a very entertaining read, Paranoid. However, don't you think Warrior Vs Hogan (in the WWF) should be included?

Guest Big McLargeHuge
That was a very entertaining read, Paranoid. However, don't you think Warrior Vs Hogan (in the WWF) should be included?

I wouldn't. It felt like a fued that revolved around their inevitable match at WM. Their match at WM 6 is what sticks out. Didn't really feel like thier was any rivalry. Just two guys who were signed to a huge match and needed a way to get there.

Yeah, I know that could be said about the other matches listed.

Guest razazteca

I prefer the Foley, Savage, Austin, Hart, HBK feuds, sans vs Vince.

Hogan was ok but it was the work of the heel that always made him look good.

Guest Si82
My favourite from that list is Bret/Austin, classic.

I totally agree. That feud was just awesome.

Guest bravesfan

Just a couple of feuds you should consider....

Rude vs Warrior

late '88(?)- fall of '89 IC Title Feud and mid '90- winter '90 World title feud

PPV feud lasted from the Ultimate Posedown at Rumble '89, to Heenan cheating to help Rude take the title at 'Mania 5, to Piper distracting Rude at Summerslam '89, costing Rude the title. Heenan's work in this feud allowed the Rude promos to even overshadow the ring work.

Jannetty/Michaels

The birth of the moniker "HBK" and the best break-up angle of a tag-team EVER. From the infamous Barber Shop incident, to Jannetty's return months later on Superstars (getting in the ring post-match, casting his reflection on Shawn's mirror, literally scaring the shit out of HBK) Oh, and great matches too.

Guest dreamer420

my favs

austin vs. vince

bret vs. austin

the hart foundation vs. everyone

andre vs. hogan

savage vs. hogan

foley vs. hhh

rock vs. hhh

Guest gwf0704

1)Hogan v Piper

2)Austin v McMahon

3)Brett v Owen

4)Muraco v Morales

5)Savage v Hogan

6)Mankind v Undertaker

7)Piper v Snuka

8)Sammartino v Zbyszko

9)Austin v Hart

10)Hogan v DiBiase

Guest Jonathan Barber

Raven/Dreamer is also up there somewhere.

I know, I'm an ECW mark...

:D

On my website, I've written recaps of all of the greatest feuds ever. I call the section, "Spotlight Feuds." I've already recapped Hogan/Andre, Hogan/Piper, Bret/Owen, Bret/Lawler, Hall/HBK, Austin/Vega, New Jack/Vic Grimes, Credible/Dreamer, Dreamer/RVD, Warrior/Savage, and others.

http://www.geocities.com/joycebarber2001/s...tlightfeuds.htm

Guest Your Olympic Hero

Dreamer vs. Raven from ECW

Austin vs. Hart from WWF

Horsemen vs. Dusty, Sting, & co. from NWA/WCW

Savage vs. Flair from WWF and later WCW

Guest DawnBTVS

In No Random Order

#1=Cactus Jack vs Vader(WCW)

#2=Sting vs Ric Flair(WCW)

#3=Sting vs Vader(WCW)

#4=Raven vs Tommy Dreamer(ECW)

#5=Shawn Michaels vs Bret Hart(WWF)

#6=Vince McMahon vs Steve Austin(WWF)

#7=Shane Douglas vs Taz(ECW)

#8=The Hart Foundation vs WWF(WWF)

#9=Ric Flair vs Ricky Steamboat(NWA/WCW)

#10=Hardyz vs Edge/Christian(WWF)

Guest MillenniumMan831

Just wanted to throw in Savage vs. Roberts (Late 1991 - Early 1992) in the loop.

Guest shlidgn90

tully blanchard and magnum ta had the most brutal fued in wrestling history.

bruno vs. zybysko was a big fued.

btw. pro wrestling existed and prospered well before hulk hogan

Guest bob_barron

It did????? Bah- wrestling didn't exist until Hogan dropped the big leg on Shiek.

BTW- Magnum v. Tully happened while Hulkamania was running wild

Guest blachuuh_monkey

Brian Pillman and Barry Windham had an incredible fued in WCW in the early nineties.

Guest ConspiracyVictim

Top Ten in No Particular Order

1. Sting vs. Vader - WCW

2. Los Gringos Loco vs. Santo and Ocatagon - AAA

3. Dreamer vs. Raven - ECW

4. Austin Idol vs. Jerry Lawler - CWA

5. Jeff Jarrett vs. Eddie Gilbert - USWA

6. Freebirds vs. Von Erichs - WCCW

7. Muraco vs. Snuka - WWF

8. Bret Hart vs. Owen Hart - WWF

9. Rey Misterio Jr vs. Psicosis - AAA, TJ, WCW

10. Ric Flair vs. Ricky Steamboat - WCW, NWA, NWA Mid-Atlantic

Barron, wrestling didn't exist in the UNITED STATES OR CANADA until Hogan did that. So there.

1) Steamer/Flair

2) Hart/Michaels

3) Hart/Austin

4) Austin/McMahon

5) STING/VADER

6) Dreamer/Raven

7) Benoit/Guerrero (and it keeps going and going...)

8) Roberts/Savage (Cobra bite, Elizabeth, EVERYTHING)

9) Kawada/Misawa (sorry, I didn't figure this one out for a while since I was US based for so long)

10) Jack/HHH (two BRUTAL BRUTAL matches that had me GUSHING)

Honorable mention goes to any Hogan feud, Warrior/Savage, and Vader/Jack.

Guest caboose

Savage Vs. Steamboat 1986-1987

Savage Vs. Flair 1991-1992

Sting Vs. nWo 1996-1997 (until it got stupid, Kevin Nash I'm looking at you)

Austin Vs. Vince 1997-1999

Rocky Vs. Triple H 1998

Warrior Vs. Savage 1991

Flair Vs. Steamboat 1989

Michaels Vs. Undertaker 1997-1998

Rocky Vs. Jericho 2001-2002

And Of Course...

Austin Vs. Hart Foundation 1996-1997

Guest nl5xsk1

I'm purposely going to skip the WWF/WWE because those seem to be well represented, so, in no order my top ten:

1. Magnum-Tully (perfectly done)

2. Von Erichs-Freebirds (lasted years, but didn't ever get old)

3. Von Erichs-Dynamic Duo (friendship ruined by jealousy)

4. RnR-Midnites (same as the Von Erichs-Birds, just never got old)

5. Road Warriors-Russians (I was a Warriors mark back then ... sue me)

6. Lawler-Dundee (how many loser-leaves-town matches can you have?!?)

7. Colon-Abdullah (hardcore before it existed)

8. Valiant-Paul Jones Army (even though the whole Army was basically just a bunch of jobbers, this is EXACTLY how a lower-card feud should be built ... WWE take notice and STEAL this!!!)

9. Mulligan-Sullivan (it would seem so cartoonish now, but was just mad cool back then)

10. Raven-Dreamer (again, perfectly written ... WWE STEAL from this!)

Guest gwf0704

In no order:

1)Austin v McMahon

2)Von Erichs v Freebirds

3)Austin v Hart

4)Sting v Flair

5)Rock N Roll Express v Midnight Express

6)Flair v Steamboat

7)Lawler v Dundee

8)Rhodes v Sullivan

9)Abdullah v Colon

10)Raven v Dreamer

Honorable old time mention:

Sammartino v Zbyszko

Guest snuffbox

Heres my list...all feds included....no particular order

Horsemen v Rhodes(NWA)

Randy Savage v Jake Roberts (WWF)

Steve Austin v Vince McMahon (WWF)

WCW v NWO (WCW)

Rock n Roll Express v Midnight Express (NWA)

Ric Flair v Randy Savage (WWF/WCW)

Tommy Dreamer v Raven (ECW)

Mick Foley v Vader (WCW)

Shawn Michaels v Bret Hart (WWF)

Ric Flair v Terry Funk (NWA)

Guest papacita

My favs (No real order)

1. USA Vs Canada (97)

2. DX Vs the Nation (98)

3. Taz Vs Shane Douglas (98/99)

4. Bret Vs Owen (94)

5. HBK Vs Bret (92, 96-97)

6. Michaels Vs Jannetty (93)

7. Savage Vs Flair (92)

8. Tommy Vs Raven (95-97)

9. Bret Vs Austin (96-97)

10. Savage Vs Roberts (91)

Other favs: Mr. Perfect Vs Ric Flair, Chyna Vs Jeff Jarrett, Sting Vs Hogan, Taz Vs Sabu, and Sandman Vs Raven

Guest Kahran Ramsus

1. Bret Hart vs. Steve Austin, 1996-1997

2. Bret Hart vs. Owen Hart, 1994

3. Hulk Hogan vs. Paul Orndorff, 1986

4. Ric Flair vs. Terry Funk, 1989

5. HHH vs. Mick Foley, 1999-2000

6. Randy Savage vs. Ricky Steamboat, 1986-1987

7. Ric Flair vs. Ricky Steamboat, 1989

8. Randy Savage vs. Jake Roberts, 1991

9. Dangerous Alliance vs. Dudes with Attitude, 1992

10. Chris Benoit vs. Raven, 1997-1998