TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest DARRYLXWF

What do you think of the following ALBUMS?

Guest DARRYLXWF

Thriller - MJ

IV - Led Z

Ride the Lighting - Metallica

Rust in Peace - Megadeath

The Wall - Pink Floyd

Division Bell - Pink Floyd

What the Story (Morning Glory)? - Oasis

Toxicity - SOAD

Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band - The Beatles

Paranoid - Black Sabbath

Sabbath Bloody Sabbath - BS

Use your Illusion (Both) - GNR

The Number of the Beast - Iron Maiden

Brave New World - Iron Maiden

Reign In Blood - Slayer

Dookie - Green Day

Spice - Spice Girls

Guest godthedog

i'll only comment on those i've heard.

'thriller': not the best pop record ever, weakest member of his holy trilogy, i think. although a great album, it's got too many throwaway songs ('p.y.t', 'the girl is mine', etc). on 'bad' and especially 'off the wall', almost every track grabs you.

'zoso': most consistent zeppelin album, & probably my favorite. only one song that isn't either very good or mind-blowing, & i think we all know which one i'm talking about. and 'when the levee breaks' is their coolest track ever.

'the wall': excellent album, but relies more on heady concepts & pretentiousness for the last 2/3 and loses a lot of steam. i guess i never really *got* the concept, cause i don't care for the throwaway stuff like 'the show must go on' and weird stuff like 'the trial' that's supposed to strengthen the album as a whole. but the other stuff is AWESOME.

'division bell': first floyd album i ever listened to. i loved it when i was 12, but it's been too long for me to really make a fair judgment on it.

'sgt pepper': not THE greatest album ever, but certainly one of them. the last track will never in the lifetime of rock music be topped.

'dookie': fun little album that makes me reminisce about my pre-teen angst days and the glory that was 1994.

Guest red_file

Likewise, just the ones I've heard:

Thriller - MJ - always struck me as an album that was riding the coat tails of the previous album Off The Wall in that it only refined what was previously done without going into any new directions. The hits are great, the other songs are immediately forgettable, but that can be said about virtually any MJ album. Gets more recognition that it deserves, imo.

IV - Led Z - decent album when considered outside of the context of the rest of the band's work; when compared against the rest of the work the album is very disappointing with only I and Coda being bigger disappointments. Perhaps I just didn't connect with the music of this album like I did with their others albums; I don't think any of the hard rock is comparable to anything off of II. And I never liked "Stairway." I'm sure I'm in the minority on this one.

The Wall - Pink Floyd - a single album horribly bloated into a double. As much as I like the concept of the album and the really short songs on the second side (who couldn't love "Vera" and "Bring the Boys Back Home"?), I think the album probably would've been stronger had they dumped some of the weaker songs on the first disk, shunted the better songs on the second disk over to the first, and made it a smaller concept starting with Pink's birth and ending with his suicide in "Goodbye Cruel World." As it stands, I always loose patient somewhere in the middle of "Comfortably Numb" and stop caring about the concept. Still, it's a great collection of songs.

Division Bell - Pink Floyd - eh, Waters-less Floyd. Better music, less interesting lyrics. Don't really much to be interested in.

Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band - The Beatles - Feh. I'm more partial to their work that wasn't done while tripping.

Paranoid - Black Sabbath - Great album for what it was, though it kinda loses purpose towards the end. Does anyone actually listen to "Fairies Wear Boots"? And does anyone actually refer to "War Pigs" as "Luke's Wall"? Quite a few really good songs on it, but nowhere near as good as their first effort or Vol. 4.

Sabbath Bloody Sabbath - BS - Man, those drugs really ruin a band, don't they? Aside from the really cool title track and "A National Acrobat" there's really nothing here to speak of.

Use your Illusion (Both) - GNR - Both are great albums. Not really a GnR fan, so my opinion isn't based on repeated listening which I suspect might reveal some cracks in the armor; I've only heard "The Garden," "Get in the Ring" and "Don't Damn Me" a few times and I already have no desire to hear them again.

Dookie - Green Day - a surprisingly coherent effort. It's not a masterpiece, but it's certainly a better listen than most of the neo-punk albums I acquired in the early 90s.

Spice - Spice Girls - overall a pretty horrible album that had a few decent to good tracks. In short, no different from virtually any pop group.

Guest Kotzenjunge

What I've heard and feel I can comment on:

Thriller[/i[] -- It's early 80s Jackson, come on. Greatness, but Off the Wall WAS better.

The Wall -- It's arguably their best known for a reason, because it's pretty spiffy. I really wish that dumb freaks and/or goths nationwide didn't take it as their leading mantra album though.

What's the Story(Morning Glory) -- OASIS, BAYBEE~! While people who care about Oasis look at me funny when I say I liked Be Here Now more, this is definitely the secondbest, and just barely edged out.

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart's Club Band -- Neither their best nor my favorite, but darn close in both categories. I love it as I do everything post-Rubber Soul, but I love Abbey Road(best) and Magical Mystery Tour(favorite) more.

Dookie -- I love it. Not much elaboration, I just do.

Spice -- WOOHOO!!! You expected someone like me to NOT love this? Ah, I miss the Spice Girls.

I can't elaborate much on any of these, as I'm no person to be able to criticize "real" (read: non-electronic) music.

By the way, for anyone who cares, I'm going to do an album review for the site soon. It won't be your standard highbrow fare that we've come to expect, as it will be on a dance/techno/trance album of my choosing.

Fo sheez,

Kotzenjunge

Guest ArkhamGlobe

Just the ones I've heard:

IV - Led Z - Great album, perhaps not one of my top ten favorites, but top twenty definitely.

The Wall - Pink Floyd - Great album, though there are many better Floyd albums, IMO.

Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band - The Beatles - Didn't like it that much at first (when compared to Revolver and Abbey Road), but it's really grown on me. I still think Revolver and Abbey Road are the superior albums, though.

Use your Illusion (Both) - GNR - II was my favorite album when I was eleven, haven't really listened to either of them in roughly eight or nine years.

Guest CoreyLazarus416

As the above, only the ones I've heard...

Michael Jackson - Thriller - 80's Michael Jackson. Features "Thriller," which has THE best video ever, and "Beat It," which features one of the most recognizeable guitar licks and choruses in history. Two thumbs up.

**Not a Led Zep fan**

Metallica - Ride The Lightning - This is the album that showed the metal world that Metallica was more than just a "good" band: they were GREATNESS. Great start, great finish. 2 weaker tracks, "Escape" and "Trapped Under Ice," but they're still a great listen.

Megadeth - Rust In Peace - The last album of old-school Megadeth, and notice it's MegaDETH (heh). Great album, but then again, it's old-school Megadeth, so of course it's great. "Hangar 18" is such a magnificent example of guitar work and solo's being traded off between Dave Mustaine and then-2nd guitarist Marty Friedman (who lasted from Rust In Peace to Risk, a total of about 4 or 5 albums, which is more than any other Megadeth member besides the two Dave's, Mustaine and Ellefson).

Pink Floyd - The Wall - One of those "must have" albums that everybody should own, regardless of what music they like. Exceptional from start to finish, and definitely a mindfuck if you try to decipher the album's meaning in-depth.

System Of A Down - Toxicity - As far as I'm concerned, THE album of 2001. Huge improvement over the self-titled debut from years earlier, as it shows the band members learned how to PLAY their instruments a little better. And how can you not love "Deer Dance"?!

**Not a Beatles fan**

Black Sabbath - Paranoid - How anybody can badmouth this album escapes me. Perfect from start to finish, including 4 of Sabbath's most recognizeable songs: "War Pigs," "Paranoid," "Planet Caravan," and "Iron Man." True, those are the first 4 songs on the album, but if you can't listen to "Electric Funeral" or "Jack The Stripper/Fairies Wear Boots," then why the hell are you listening to this album in the first place?

Black Sabbath - Sabbath Bloody Sabbath - Nice cover art. The title track is good, "National Acrobat" is good, and I like "Fluff" and "Sabbra Cadabra," so shut up.

Iron Maiden - The Number Of The Beast - Weak opener, "Invaders," but a great album nonetheless. Perfect example of what the New Wave Of British Heavy Metal WOULD have been had Judas Priest not been so fucking overrated (get over it) and Def Leppard not sucked so much. Buy it. Steal it. Download it. Copy it. GET THIS ALBUM IF YOU LIKE ANY KIND OF HEAVY MUSIC.

Iron Maiden - Brave New World - Everybody doubted Maiden. EVERYBODY. The hardcore fans, the newer fans, and the fans that were there from the beginning and can remember when Dickinson first joined the band. After some disappointing albums with Blaze Bailey on vocals (not Blaze's fault, Steve Harris just can't write songs that go with Blaze's voice at all), rumors of Blaze being outed and Bruce F'N Dickinson coming back were rampant. Were they true? Brave New World proved them so, and this is, honestly, Maiden's best release since Piece Of Mind (I still say Powerslave is overrated as fuck).

Slayer - Reign In Blood - A great thrash metal album, strictly for the opening and closing songs. The album is very weak in the middle (every song blends together after "Angel Of Death" ends and before "Raining Blood" begins), but the songs were all about speed. Good for what it is, and a must-own for any metalhead, but if you're looking for a Slayer album, get Seasons In The Abyss and/or South Of Heaven.

Green Day - Dookie - Classic punk album. I don't care what most people call punk, because Green Day ARE punk right down to their fucking assholes.

Guest saturnmark4life

Green Day aren't one of my most hated bands, Dookie and insomniac remind me of being 12 as well, but they did do a lot to kick off all this pop punk shit. Not directly their fault, but they played their part. But then who really gives a fuck what punk is anyway, i mean punk has been dead 20 or so years technically. Though NOFX are still one of the best punk bands ever.

Guest redbaron51

IV - Led Z: Overrated big time, and definitly not one of the best albums. Its good, but its over played, over hyped. Zeppelin II is far more superior than this album

Ride the Lighting - Metallica: Its good, but falls short of Master of Puppets. Fade to Black is highly over-rated in the guitar work, and like corey said, trapped under ice and escape are the weaker songs.

Rust in Peace - Megadeath: Best Megadeth album ever.

The Wall - Pink Floyd: Blows. Its the worst album they have released, ever.

Division Bell - Pink Floyd: Highly underrated with some great tracks on it.

Toxicity - SOAD: Did they have to follow the trend? Have a few soft hit singles, which basically ruined the whole CD.

Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band - The Beatles: Overrated.

Paranoid - Black Sabbath: Amazing songs from start to finish, and if you are a metal fan, and bash this album, then your not a metal fan at all.

Sabbath Bloody Sabbath - BS: The weakest BS album in the ozzy era, but its still worth a buy though.

Use your Illusion (Both) - GNR: Its good, but it has way too much filler in, and they could have just combined them together.

The Number of the Beast - Iron Maiden: Best Maiden album ever.

Brave New World - Iron Maiden: A better album, than the last two, because Dickinson is back, and this time I don't have to hear Blaze Bailey "sing" again.

Reign In Blood - Slayer: Its good, but Seasons of the Abyss is 100 times better.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Thriller - MJ-Never heard all of it, don't care to. I hate the singles, and everything else ever done by a Jackson, for that matter.

IV - Led Z-Great album, not as good as I and II though, IMO.

Ride the Lighting - Metallica-My feelings about anything and everything metallica are well-documented. Needless to say, I think it sucks, and I hate it.

Rust in Peace - Megadeath-Great guitar work, not one of my favorites though.

The Wall - Pink Floyd-Great album, but mediocre for Floyd, IMO. Meddle, Obscured By Clouds, and Animals are all much better.

Division Bell - Pink Floyd-I've only heard it once or twice, so no opinion.

What the Story (Morning Glory)? - Oasis-I fucking hate Oasis.

Toxicity - SOAD-Not as good as their s/t. I'm totally burnt out on them. Pretty shitty live.

Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band - The Beatles-I recognize the Beatles' influence on rock music, but I am completely indifferent to their material.

Paranoid - Black Sabbath-Fucking awesome. Not as good as the s/t, though, IMO. Hand of Doom, Electric Funeral, and Planet Caravan are probably its best tracks.

Sabbath Bloody Sabbath - BS-Part of the "not quite as great" Ozzy-Sabbath albums, IMO, along with Sabotage. The first four albums are absolutely mind-blowing, though.

Use your Illusion (Both) - GNR-Not as good as Appetite, but that was their only good album, so that goes without saying.

The Number of the Beast - Iron Maiden-I don't care for Maiden very much, and can only listen to them when I'm in a weird mood. That said, I'm pretty indifferent to them in general.

Brave New World - Iron Maiden-Haven't heard.

Reign In Blood - Slayer-Fuckin' badass. Their third-best release behind Divine Intervention and Seasons in the Abyss.

Dookie - Green Day-Blows.

Spice - Spice Girls-What I've heard is utter tripe, and is total throw away pop garbage, like pretty much everything else.

Guest converge241

Thriller - MJ

i loved listening to my moms copy when i was a kid. Billie Jean makes me still rock out a tad :)

IV - Led Z

i dont like it so much..i mean its obviously good and all but i like HOTH and I more. Favorite songs are Levee, california, and Stairway (im a little sick of it though)

Ride the Lighting - Metallica

awesome stuff 2nd best after Master, alittle fillerish on the second half but Fire, Ride, and Creeping Death make for a hell of a three puch

Rust in Peace - MegaDETH - bah. rubbish. Holy wars is okay but i like peace sells and so far so good and the later stuff a lot more

The Wall - Pink Floyd- great concept and music, i like WYWH and Animals more. goodbye blue skies and Hey you are the best.

you can play this to Alice in Wonderalnd, much like Wish you were here to Its A Wonderful Life and of course Dark Side to Wizard of OZ

Division Bell - Pink Floyd - i think im in the minority by liking this album a lot..sure it sucks compared to the older stuff, but if you dont look at it in that light its great. Fav is what do you want from me

What the Story (Morning Glory)? - Oasis- easiy their best album. one of my favorites ever. bests are Hello, and Morning Glory

Toxicity - SOAD worlds better than the self titled but to me i still cant listen to it in full, i just pick the songs im in the mood to hear but never just let it play..i havent "acquired the taste yet". best is prison song

Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band - The Beatles - a day in the life nuff said

Paranoid - Black Sabbath

not as god as some other ozzy era stuff but not the pits either. best is Planet and Paranoid

Sabbath Bloody Sabbath - BS in the same middle as Paranoid (my favs are sabotage and vol. 4 btw). Killing yourself is the best

Use your Illusion (Both) - GNR, like most double albums could have been one really strong album with these songs:

from I:

live and let die

dont cry (original)

the garden

back off bitch

double talkin jive

coma

from II:

14 years

locomotive

estranged

you could be mine

pretty tied up

The Number of the Beast - Iron Maiden

run tooooooooo the hills!

run fooooooooor you liiiiiiife!!

great album

Brave New World - Iron Maiden- havent heard it yet, but its supposed to be great

Reign In Blood - Slayer - redifined and influenced a whole genre..ive seen raining blood covered so many times its ridiculous

Dookie - Green Day- i havent listened to it for years but i remember it was pretty nifty. Welcome to Paradise was my fav

Spice - Spice Girls - i was in love with Sporty and i actually own this album.If U cant dance is a nice little bubblegum song

Guest B-X

I'm just gonna give my input on albums I HAVENT heard.

Rust in Peace - Megadeath. I didnt like it.

What the Story (Morning Glory)? - Oasis. English fagboys. Next.

The Number of the Beast - Iron Maiden. Ewwwwwww.

Brave New World - Iron Maiden. Hmmm.

Reign In Blood - Slayer ::tests the wind with his finger::

Dookie - Green Day Err, what is this crap?

Spice - Spice Girls Fantastic CD.

What's the Story (Morning Glory)? - Oasis

- Decent. Wonderwall and Champagne Supernova are still very much playable but I don't know about most of the other tracks.

Dookie - Green Day

- Very much 8th grade for me but something I could listen to in its entirety and still enjoy, unlike so much other music that came out during that time (the whole grunge scene for example).

Spice - Spice Girls

- Surprisingly I still have that. I was in love with Ginger for about two years in high school. Overall pretty decent but it hasn't been in my stereo for a VERY long time.