TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Joe_G

10/27/02 CMLL Workrate Report

Guest Joe_G

Moving stinks, at least when it means you don't get Galavision anymore. Thankfully, I have some friends with Direct TV who'll tape shows for me, but this'll be the last workrate report for the foreseeable future. At least I got a killer final show.

WHAT WORKED

Opening match is Olimpico/Safari/Ringo Mendoza taking on Arkangel/Halcon Negro/Dr. X. This is actually the first time I’ve seen Mendoza and Halcon (both of whom have been around forever) in a full match. I don’t think I’ve seen a full X match since he was Dr. O’Borman, and we don’t see Olimpico, Safari, or Arkangel enough, so this is full of fresh faces. Safari and Halcon take it to the mat to start, and I’m digging it. Halcon has a funky rudo charisma about him. Arkangel stirs up @#%$ and I’m glad he dropped the short sleeves. He now has “EPIC” written across his ass for some reason. Olimpico and Dr. X have a fun segment until Olimpico gets caught with a Doomsday Device and X hits a splash for the pin. Rudos domibnate the Segunda caida until Olimpico spears a comeback. He hits a bee-you-tee-ful somersault tope on X and the tecnicos win the fall. Tercera caida is fast and furious as Olimpico and Arkangel do some really nice stuff. Halcon takes a big bump to the floor and Ringo hits a pescado (!) on X, leaving us with Olimpico and Arkangel. Alas, it’s far too brief (isn’t it always?) and Olimpico hits his small package dealee for the win. This was perfectly acceptable lucha, got a decent amount of time, and had some different folks in it, so this certainly worked.

The BEST segment ever aired as we meet the 12 contestants in the Guapo tournament as they pose shirtless (except for the dude who looked like Mr. Clean) in a ring with Shocker and Magica. Mr. Power, Centella de Oro, Genetico, and Tony Rivera cut promos and it’s like Tough Enough CMLL style. We later here from Ricky Marvin, Loco Max (does Toryumon know about this?), Alex Steel, Terrible.Probably would be even better if I knew what they were saying.

We’re again denied a wacky skit as we jump right to the Casas/Felino/Hombre Sin Nombre vs. Talibanes match. I wonder if this is a revenge match for the Felino/Volador/Virus vs. Talibanes match from 9/29 (the one with the powerbomb of DOOM)? Probably not. Primera caida is clipped to bits as the tecnicos quickly win. Casas hair is coming in nicely. Funny bit where HsN slaps on a Cattle Mutilation on Emilio and the ref starts counting, even though Emilio is face down on the mat. Segunda caida sees each tecnico run through all the rudos, who do their best to make everyone look like a million bucks. They soon turn the tide and the fall turns into a rudo beatdown. Tercera caida starts the same until the tecs thwart a triple team and take over. Felino gets Emilio with a wacky submission and HsN gets Bestia with a blind headbutt. Real short but some good action here and it was all clean so there ya go.

They cut back on intros this week, so we jump right to Vampiro/Mr. Niebla/Lizmark vs. Ultimo Guerrero/Black Tiger/Rey Buccanero. Holy crap did this rule. We immediately set up an issue between Rey and Vamp by having Rey back down from Vamp and then jumping him from behind. It looked like a rudo beatdown was eminent but things settled down and we get Niebla/Guerrero and Tiger/Lizmark section. Rey’s acting all afraid of Vamp like he was an actual vampire or something. Tecnicos soon win. Segunda caida is a rudo beatdown (with the usual GdI Grade A offense) but they were nice enough to throw a Niebla/Tiger sequence in there. Tercera caida is all sorts of cool as everyone runs through these very complex sequences and Rey and Ultimo hit two scary dives, leaving us with Niebla and Tiger again, and Niebla, hero to the chubbed out masses, scores the win with a Nelbina. Great match that set up a feud between Vamp and Rey all in the context of the ring (i.e., no corpses).

We don’t get a wacky skit until an hour into the show. Rey is sitting in the Haunted Stairwell™ and Ultimo comes by. Rey is apparently afraid of Vampiro, but his match with him will apparently be therapy. Or something.

Mephisto and Averno play with their Tarot cards when Satanico teleports into the room (I’m not kidding). He’s going to whoop Damien 666’s ass. Then he starts laughing like a madman (yes!). Bryan Alverez said it and I’ll steal it: shouldn’t Satanico and Damien 666 be pals?

Hey, a singles match between Satanico and Damien 666. Nicho comes out and says something over the mic, allowing Damien the opportunity to blindside Satanico. Damien slaps around Satanico for a while until he misses a senton. Nicho uses a ref’s distraction to superkick Satanico for a Damien 2 count. Damien uses the ropes for leverage and gets another 2 count. Damien misses a moonsault and Satanico hulks up, but Nicho interferes again, so Mephisto takes him out. Nicho tosses a piece of the yellow grate to Damien, who never gets to use it as he walks into a spinebuster. Damien tries and misses two faltas, and then walks into a backslide, Satanico’s finisher (I’m not kidding. The crowd popped like he was Stone Cold hitting a Stunner.), to end the match. Much Yelling Into the Mic™ afterward. Match was short and meant to build to the hair vs. hair match, but was fun in a guilty pleasure sort of way. Satanico can still go.

WHAT DIDN'T WORK

Wow, they actually threw out Pierroth/Violencia/Bulldog/Killer vs. Silva/Markus/Cien Caras. We don’t even get a Commando skit so this has no redeeming value. At least Caras dropped his Sherbet outfit. We stall for 8 years until the Commandos beat up Markus and Caras as Silva just stands there. Watching Caras running the ropes is one of life’s great joys. Can we get Bulldog some Abdullah matches so he can learn how to do a non-shitty elbowdrop? Silva finally comes in and the rudos stomp him and he does this weird flop sell, like a fish out of water. Pierroth throws two of the worst punches in recorded history. Lots more crap and Silva gets Killer and Violencia with the Timber Splash. As a wrestling match it’s no good, but as pure comedy there could be no better.

Stellar Moments: Sombra de Plata runs up the ropes and dropkicks some guy dressed like a pirate. Blue Demon Jr. hits a nice tope on Mascara Magica. We see Lizmark’s press powerslam on Emilio from last week. Ricky Marvin and someone else flatten Rammstein and someone else (Valentin Mayo?) with topes. Halloween gets caned, also from last week. Eh, too many repeats and nothing too special (we need to fill out this side anyway).

Great show. I'll miss thee, CMLL. Adios.

Guest razazteca

Ricky Marvin, Tony Riveria, or Zimbido should get serious consideration as members of Guapos. Zimbido has the killer blond Mullet which he stole from the Nasty Boys which should lock him a spot into the group. Why can't Guapos have 4 members? Atomico Guapos of Shocker, Magica, Rivera, Marvin would be great.

Zimbido's Mullet = Perfection

Guest dc_tapes

Galavision is really starting to piss me off with the time changes. Every time I check on Saturdays and Sundays they are showing talk shows or soccer. Does anybody know what time they might be on this weekend?

Guest razazteca

Saturday changes alot its either 1:00, 2:00, 3:30

Sunday is usually 1:00 central