TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Kotzenjunge

100 Greatest Songs EVER

Guest Kotzenjunge
'Bohemian Rhapsody' Voted All-Time Top Tune

Sat Nov 9, 9:27 AM ET

LONDON (Reuters) - Twenty-seven years after it was first released, Queen's "Bohemian Rhapsody" has once again topped a chart of all-time greatest hits.

Reuters Photo

The mini rock-opera saw off competition from fellow usual suspects The Beatles to claim the pop crown in a poll to mark the 50th anniversary of the UK charts.

John Lennon's "Imagine" came in second, followed by The Beatles' "Hey Jude." George Harrison's "My Sweet Lord" was at number five.

The Beatles claimed 14 of the top 100 hits, way ahead of any other act.

Other top 10 entries included the Animals' "The House of the Rising Sun," Abba's "Dancing Queen" and the Beach Boys' "Good Vibrations."

But perhaps more noteworthy was who didn't feature in the top 100.

Contemporary stars barely got a look in with only four number one singles from the past decade making the grade with listeners -- and one of those was a remix.

Kylie Minogue (news)'s 2001 hit "Can't Get You Out Of My Head" featured at number 35, with revamped Elvis song "A Little Less Conversation," which topped British charts earlier this year, at 39.

Oasis were at 41 with their 1996 hit "Don't Look Back In Anger" and Irish rockers U2's were at 83 with their 2000 single "Beautiful Day."

The most contemporary track in the first 25 was Band Aid's "Do They Know It's Christmas" from 1984.

"Bohemian Rhapsody" has proved an enduring favorite among music fans, regularly topping "greatest ever" polls.

In May, it crowned a national poll of 30,000 people organized by Guinness World Records.

The single has also occupied the number one spot on the British chart twice, despite record bosses initially being reluctant even to release it.

The top 50 of the chart -- compiled by the Official UK Charts Company -- will be counted down on BBC Radio 2 on Saturday from 1400 GMT.

DANCING QUEEN~! in the top ten! KYLIE~! at #35!!! What a glorious list!!!

Fo sheez,

Kotzenjunge

Guest Dace59

Bet there are any technically great songs (Read anything buy ANY Prog band, or any Guitar Gods.)

Guest Dace59

And results say:

I saw wrong.

But it was ONE, ONE DAMN Pink Floyd song, and that's is for the top 50.

Yer, it's an Opion chart, but on a technical level, it looks terrible.

Guest welshjerichomark

well as long as bohemian rhapsody is number 1, seriously even before i read the the thread i KNEW that that would be number 1. damn brits are so predictable. but it is one of my favorites.

Guest Kotzenjunge

What's wrong with Abba, might I ask?

And it's not a bad list, it's just one that you don't like. There's a difference.

Fo sheez,

Kotzenjunge

Guest CoreyLazarus416

Where's the love for Billey Joel? Did "Piano Man" make it? For my money, THAT is the greatest song ever written. If you don't sway to it when you hear it, you're a jackass (and I mean YOU, Agent).

Guest Incandenza

I was pleasantly surprised by the inclusions of Kate Bush and Ian Dury, but both the Kinks and John Lennon have recorded far better songs than what made the list.

Guest Spaceman Spiff

"Can't Get You Out of My Head" is the the 35th best song ever?

And "Come on Eileen" is the 28th?

Hmmm....

Guest Flyboy

Not even in Kotzen's wet dreams.

Guest Phr33k

If I see somebody complain that there aren't any punk, rap or heavy metal songs on the list, I will personally find out where you live and forcefully insert an extremely large object up your right nostril. Consider yourself warned.

Guest spiny norman

WUTHERING HEIGHTS!!!!??????

I'm not going to say any more on that subject, just too funny for words.

John Lennon's Jealous Guy should've been there, that's easily his best. Imagine's a tad over-rated.

A Day In The Life is The Beatles's best.

Anyway, I'm nitpicking.

So, I'll just say, where was Prince or Madonna!!??

Guest Kotzenjunge

Not even in Kotzen's wet dreams.

Like I said to others, damn fucking straight it is.

And DANCING QUEEN~! deserves to be in the top 10.

HATERS!!!!

Fo sheez,

Kotznenjunge

Guest Agent of Oblivion
Where's the love for Billey Joel? Did "Piano Man" make it? For my money, THAT is the greatest song ever written. If you don't sway to it when you hear it, you're a jackass (and I mean YOU, Agent).

It's a good song and all, but I don't like it. Nor do I sway. Wuss.

What the fuck?? Not one Agoraphobic Nosebleed song? Horseshit. I demand a recount.

The fact that a Kylie song is on the list indicates that Kotzenjunge heard about the voting, and kept turning up to vote with fake moustaches and sunglasses on.

"Uh...my name?? Patrick....Spork. Yeah, that's the ticket. Spork."

Guest Kotzenjunge

Prescription sunglasses, you need to be specific, yo.

(puts away disguise)

I SO had nothing to do with this.

Fo sheez,

Kotzenjunge