TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest bps "The Truth" 21

Are there any legit NWA title contenders?

Guest bps "The Truth" 21

You know...I'm happy with the X division roster with all the AJ's and Lynn's and Red's and Kid Kash's and Elix Skipper's (sometimes), EZ MOneys (coming Wednesday!) and Low Ki's (Maybe not anymore) and all...

And the tag division has gotten a big boost with Harris and Storm kicking ass.

But that pesky heavyweight division is a mess still.

Truth and JJ.

Then what?

Syxx Pac can fit I guess. But I'll never buy him as the NWA Champion. B.G. James sucks...and doesn't fit IMO anyway. Curt Hennig would fit if he wasn't absolutely horrible. Scott Hall does fit, because he's so over, but they'll never put the strap on him (and rightly so). LAwler is both bad and not beleivable...and yet these are the people who are getting the main event style pushes.

Who else?

And how can they fix this?

Guest Edwin MacPhisto

Consider the majority of the NWA heavyweights. James, Hall, Lawler, Pac, Hennig...WWF midcarders or washed up former stars. Boo, hiss.

Hopefully Wrestling III *will* be Sanders, because although he's not really a heavyweight, he can talk like one, act like one, and would be fine fit for the main event.

I think that at some point, once the Reds and Moneys and Kashes of the X Division have developed into top players, you've simply got to "graduate" Lynn and Styles out of the division and into the heavyweight title scene. If they can get Daniels back, then you've got three really capable wrestlers who, while not quite 220 pounds or so, can definitely contend for a World Heavyweight Title. They've got the experience, and the X division is where all the developing talent is located. At some point they are going to have to cross over and give Lynn and Styles the final shove towards the absolute top.

I'm not sure if they'd work a less extreme style to fill the heavyweight void, or if we'd just be having Xish matches for the belt. In any case, if you throw Lynn or Styles or Daniels in with a Jarrett, they can pull of a solid match no matter what style they choose to use.

Guest CoreyLazarus416

You speak of being an X-Division worker as if it's a bad thing...

If anything, the X-Division workers get more praise, time, and crowd reaction than the other divisions' workers. An X-Division worker doesn't need to "graduate" to be a World title contender, they just need to have a match.

Jerry Lynn vs. The Truth (both) and LowKi vs. The Truth have already proven that the X-Division workers can hang with the Heavyweights.

Guest dreamer420

I think EZ Money should be chasing the World title instead of competing in the X Division just because of his raw talent.

Jarrett, Hall, and Hennig are the top three names that I see chasing the title right now, and I might even believe Syxx-Pac as a contender.

Are Ken Shamrock and Sabu gone from TNA right now? I enjoyed their match together but haven't seen Sabu since, and I have no idea what Shamrock is up to after losing the title.

BG James needs to get his weight down and I wish TNA would have made him get into better shape before they stuck him in their shows as a legit contender for the world title.

Also what about Malice. He seemed to be getting a pretty good push before I stopped watching for awhile.

Guest bps "The Truth" 21

Malice has a WWE developmental contract last I heard.

Sabu and TNA are on bad terms, I forget why.

And they don't like Shamrock.

Guest Edwin MacPhisto

Corey, I didn't mean to imply that being in the X-division is a bad thing at all. The best TNA wrestlers are there, bar none--they don't need to "prove" anything to me, but they've been marketed as a separate division with a rivalry with the heavyweights on and off.

It'd be tremendously simple to shift Styles and Lynn towards the actual heavyweight title; all they need is a story. If Styles turned out to be Mr. Wrestling III, for example, it'd be a damn exciting toss-up into the mix.

Just having a match--as Lynn and Low Ki each did with Truth--doesn't make them prime heavyweight material storyline-wise. Those were both portrayed as X vs. Heavyweight contests. A storyline that brings one of the major X wrestlers into *regular* contention for the title as opposed to a one-off shot no one expects him to win anyway would give the heavyweight title scene a much needed kick in the ass.

Guest dreamer420
Malice has a WWE developmental contract last I heard.

Sabu and TNA are on bad terms, I forget why.

And they don't like Shamrock.

Is Sabu ever on good terms with any wrestling companies?

I hadn't heard about Malice but I can't say I'm surprised because TNA seemed to be given him a nice push, so it only makes sence that the WWE signed him.

Guest RedJed

I've heard rumors on that Malice developmental deal, but there has been nothing concrete about it. I don't think its true because the WWA has him still on their latest lineup, the one without Steiner. I don't see the WWE letting him go on that tour if he's under a contract, plus he isnt in OVW or anything.

Guest dreamer420

Isn't Malice also appearing in XPW regularly too? I really doubt the WWE would allow him to appear there.

Guest RedJed

Yup, thats right, he is......forgot about that. That pretty much denies the developmental rumors then.

I wonder why then he left TNA in the first place?

Guest RedJed

He hasnt been on a TNA show for a few months at least, but if he is still doing stuff with XPW now, he definately can't be under any WWE contract

Guest dreamer420

I've just started watching TNA again so I had no idea. He was getting pushed to the moon last time I was watching though.

Too bad he's stuck in XPW now.