TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest The Mighty Damaramu

Underrated matches....

Well there was a topic like this on the old board but seems how it is almost obsolete let's talk here.

The Overrated Matches thread has sparked me to create this. What matches do you believe don't get enough praise?

I'd have to say the No Mercy 2000 Chris Benoit/HHH match. I was pumped after that match. I thought that it was one of the best matches I'd seen in a long while. The counter sequence at the end was really great. Cross-face into DVD...Pedigree into Cross-Face...rinse repeat.

I loved that match.

What matches do you love that you believe don't get nearly enough praise?

Guest JAMES900

Thats a tough one. I think Lance Storm - Edge from Summerslam is underated by many.

Guest Tiger Suplex 85

HHH/Rikishi (Smackdown where they drew a lottery for a title shot).

Lance Storm/Edge (Summerslam 2001).

EDIT: Wow, the same match posted in the same minute. Maybe it isn't underrated...

Yes it is a tough call isn't it?

I mean like I said one man's trash is another man's treasure.....and vice versa.

Guest JAMES900

Yeah it's all about personal taste in wrestling style.  And as for me and Tiger Suplex 85 posting the Edge Storm match.  Well like he said maybe it's not as underrated as once thought.  I'd say the wresltmania X7 hardcore match is also underrated, I really liked that match, but most people said it sucked.

Guest goodhelmet

I'd have to go with Rhyno-Raven at Backlash 2001. Those guys had no reaction at the beginning of the match. By the end, the entire arena was hyped. Wel-worked match!

Guest JAMES900

But the match wasn't underrated as everyone raved about it afterwards.  Were talking about matches that people seem to disregard.  I agree though Raven Rhyno was a classic hardcore match and it wasn't cookie sheets to the head for the sake of it, plus that trolly spot was excellent.

Guest Tony149

I would say the Sting vs. Cactus Jack Fall Count Anywhere match from Beach Blast '92. Great match that gets forgotten.

Guest The Masked Yodeler

Dean Malenko & Chris Benoit v. Rey Misterio, Jr. & Konnan from the '99 Pillman Show.  I've never heard anyone mention this match, but it frickin' owned.  Malenko and Benoit just beat the shit out of Rey for the entire match before Konnan gets the hot tag.  Very little Konnan in the entire match means that he's not screwing up the good wrestlers, and Rey just takes a helluva beating.  A very, very well worked traditional tag team match.

Tajiri v. Psicosis at the ECW Arena 8-19-00 (Clips were shown on ECW on TNN, but the whole match is on the Deep Impact DVD.  The match has of the wall intensity, but is marred by fucked up spot by Psicosis.  A very intense and stiff match with great mat-wrestling, stiff ass strikes, and some great high-flying.  But the match "get's personal" when Psicosis flips of Tajiri and Tajiri responds with one of my favorite spots ever.  He has Psicosis set up for a Tornado DDT, flips him off, says "Fuck You" and nails the DDT.  Great, great stuff.

Guest areacode212

Yeah, Tiger Suplex...I was going to say this match, too. This was the first time I said to myself, "Huh? When did HHH become good?".

Guest Tiger Suplex 85

Yeah, Tiger Suplex...I was going to say this match, too. This was the first time I said to myself, "Huh? When did HHH become good?".

Also marks the only time I've enjoyed Too Cool's "dancing". If you think about it, it's kinda too bad injuries and bad booking have screwed up Rikishi's face heat.

Eh......I hated Rikishi from the beginning......

I remember the WMX7 Hardcore match. It was a fun little match and I didn't hear much about it either.......kinda suprised me....I enjoyed it.

Guest The Masked Yodeler

I didn't really care for the WMX7 hardcore match as a wrestling match.  However as a surrealist piece, it works quite well.  The whole match is just, well, odd.  From The Big Show crashing through a wall to Kane driving a golf cart, it's as absurd as pro-wrestling gets in North America.

Guest Kahran Ramsus

Mr. Perfect vs. Bret Hart at KOTR 1993.  Everyone raves about the SummerSlam match, but I always thought this was better.

Guest theWCWRaider

Well, I don't know if its under rated, its just often forgot about when talking about good opening matches to a show.

But, I really like Johnny B. Badd, Vs. Brian Pillman from Fall Brawl 1995.

Guest Banky

WCW Eddie Guerrero vs. Chris Jericho (Fall Brawl 97)

-Superb technical battle.  Demonstrates why Eddie is one of the best workers in the past 10 years.  Chris Jericho brings the goods as well

WWF Steve Austin vs. Bret Hart (Revenge of the Taker)

-A great match, just like the whole series.  Weighed down because of the non-finish and the fact most people weren't buying WWF PPV's at that time.

ECW Tajiri vs. Steve Corino (Hardcore Heaven 2000)

-Corino is Tajiri's bitch in this match.  Bloody as hell.  I don't like much ECW, thats why this one gets the nod

Guest The Vanilla Midget

its been said a couple of times already, but the edge-lance storm match from summerslam totally rocked!

Guest ArkhamGlobe

I personally thought the WM X7 match was good enough for what it was, with some good bumping by Raven and a couple of neat spots. Though Big Show's facial expression when he has Kane ready for the chokeslam and Kane slaps on his own chokehold nearly had me falling out of my chair laughing. Just priceless stuff. :)

Guest The Paul

I would have to say either "Steve Austin VS Shawn Michaels KOTR 1997" or "Benoit vs Guerrero vs jericho vs X-Pac" from last years No Way Out.

Guest Anglesault

Angle/Benoit series, all five matches (Mania, Backlash, Insurrextion,Judgment Day, Raw cage)

Guest bps "The Truth" 21

The 4 way match at No Way Out

and

Storm/Edge at Summerslam were 2 of my top 10 matches last year.

Guest blackjack4x

As bps21 just mentioned, the 4-way from No Way Out last year. Awesome match that wasn't talked about much.

Guest JerryDrake

I remenber Angle and Rhyno had an AWESOME match on RAW, and Angle won the U.S. Title. I rated it ****1/4.

I remenber the Rikishi/HHH match on Smackdown, i was marking out from left to right, I thought Rikishi would go over.

Guest CB2M
I remenber Angle and Rhyno had an AWESOME match on RAW, and Angle won the U.S. Title. I rated it ****1/4.

Is that on a 10-star scale?

Guest dreamer420

Steve Corino had a lot of matches in ECW that were underrated.  The guy bled buckets almost like no other and he went pretty good with guys like Credible, Dreamer,  and Lynn.  Hiring Steve Corino in the WWF would be a terrific idea, trust me.

Guest JerryDrake

CB2M, shut the fuck up, you know damn well what scale it is on.

I rated it ****1/4 because i fucking liked it that much, so shut your fucking mouth.

I dont watch Puro, give i think it fucking sucks, ITS MY OPINION, and if you dont like it suck my big black dick you fucking loser.

Guest dreamer420

Hey JerryDrake,

I think the Angle/Rhyno match was at least **** but Angle shouldn't have gone over Rhyno in the end.

Guest Hoyakillah

One match I always felt was underrated was Goldberg versus DDP from Halloween Havoc 1998.  Scott calls it the best Goldberg match ever - I'd like to see him rewatch it and get an eval given what's happened to WCW since... but I wouldn't wish that show on anyone, given that it has the Hogan/Warrior rematch FROM HELL.

I was going to say also that the Hogan/Warrior match from Wrestlemania VI was underrated... but no.

Anyway, Goldberg/DDP was one of those matches that was perfectly strung together, orchestrated to a tee, and pulled off very well.  It's no Benoit/Regal from Pillman 2K or American Dragon v. Low-Ki, but it's still a good, underrated match.

Guest JerryDrake

"Hey JerryDrake,

I think the Angle/Rhyno match was at least **** but Angle shouldn't have gone over Rhyno in the end. "

Angle had to of gone over, because Rhyno was taking time off for his neck injury.

Guest JerryDrake

I almost forgot the 10 man Tag from RAW.

Malenko/Saturn/Benoit/HHH/X-Pac Vs. Rock/Foley/Rikishi/Too Cool, SUPER HOT CROWD, and nonstop action.