TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest ShamRock

Any good novels out there?

Guest ShamRock

I gotta do this book report for my English class.So what are some good novels out there?

Guest MrRant

Does it have to be fiction or non-fiction? For non-fiction I would say pick up Donnie Brasco if you are into Mafia stuff.

Guest Incandenza
I gotta do this book report for my English class.So what are some good novels out there?

This question is rather vague.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Read Bastard Out of Carolina by Dorothy E. Allison.

It's horribly depressing, but an awesome read. There was a movie made of this, but I can't imagine it being as good as the book.

Here's a link with more info.

Guest Karnage

Have A Nice Day: A Tale Of Blood & Sweatsocks or Foley Is Good & The Real World Is Faker Than Wrestling?

Guest ShamRock

I really would like to do a report on a wrestling book,since,ya' know,I'm a wrestling fan.

I should get Mick Foley's.I heard good things about.Which one is better though,Have a Nice Day or Foley is Good?

Guest Agent of Oblivion

I liked Have a Nice Day more personally, but they're both good reads.

Guest Flyboy

I've seen the movie Bastard Out Of Carolina and it was damned good.

I can only imagine how good the book is.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

I liked the chapter about the PTC vs. sex and violence in wrestling the best. Really interesting stuff.

Guest treble charged
I liked the chapter about the PTC vs. sex and violence in wrestling the best. Really interesting stuff.

Yeah, that was my favourite part of the book, as well.

Guest Agent of Oblivion
I've seen the movie Bastard Out Of Carolina and it was damned good.

I can only imagine how good the book is.

Oh my god, go read it now.

It's seriously so disturbing that I'm not too keen on ever reading it again, but when I was reading it, I couldn't stop. The whole book has a great tone to it, and some of the descriptions of what she goes through are so brutal that they made me cringe.

Guest Kinetic

I don't know if any of you have ever read A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole (I think). Really funny book that I'd say anyone could get into.

Guest Incandenza
I don't know if any of you have ever read A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole (I think). Really funny book that I'd say anyone could get into.

I've read it, and yes, it's funny shit.

Guest DrTom

If you like spy thrillers, check out The Bourne Identity by Robert Ludlum. It was made into a movie earlier this year, but the book has so many important elements the movie just totally glossed over. There are more books in the Bourne series, and they're all good.

Guest phoenixrising
If you like spy thrillers, check out The Bourne Identity by Robert Ludlum. It was made into a movie earlier this year, but the book has so many important elements the movie just totally glossed over. There are more books in the Bourne series, and they're all good.

Thank God there are more. Cause it was a good book right until the ending, which was really disappointing for me. Now I understand why it ended the way it did.

Novels...How about any Ellroy stuff? Though I think it's been a while since he's written anything, not sure...does anyone know if Ellroy has new books out? I vaguely remember one titled "The Cold Six Thousand" but haven't seen it.

If you dig techno-thrillers, can't go wrong with Clancy. I'm waiting until Red Rabbit comes out in paperback to buy it. I'd personally recommend the earlier books...after Debt of Honor the books get a little too formulaic. Rainbow Six is a good read as well.

Guest Kotzenjunge

Player Piano, by Kurt Vonnegut. Written as a way of him to jab back at General Electric, who fired him in 1951, this book, although written in 1952, shows a LOT of foreshadowing of how corporate America is today.

It's the simplest Vonnegut book to just pick up and read, sez I, since you don't really have to be familiar with his style as it was embryonic at this point.

It also has a tremendous way of gradually easing you into its own world and leaving yours.

Fo sheez,

Kotzenjunge

Guest EricMM

Catch-22.

Heller was on crack, sweet delicious crack.

Best book evar!

*EDIT* Mea Culpa *EDIT*

Guest Kotzenjunge

It's just Heller, dude. Just Heller, no -man.

So this dude doesn't find a dead end when he tries to look for it, as I'm normally not nitpicky like that.

EricMM is right though, I'd have recommended that second, as it's in the Top 5 of the 20th century, to be sure.

Fo sheez,

Kotzenjunge

Guest snuffbox

Ken Kesey - Sometimes a Great Notion. Best book Ive ever read, its the American Homer...and its only 650 pages!

For a shorter read...Kesey wrote something called 'One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest'...thats a pretty good lil book there too!

Guest ElectricRaccoon

I'm on a total Neal Stephenson kick right now. Snow Crash is proabaly his most accessible work, and it's hilarious, to boot. The Diamond Age is good but weird (there's an ongoing children's story meshed with the narrative - it works a lot better in the book than it sounds like it does in the description). Cryptonomicon is the best-written, technically, of the three, but 1t over 900 pages it's probably kinda big to take on for an English essay.

Guest gthureson

If you want to do an interesting book report...

The Illuminatus Triology by Robert Anton Wilson.

Just a wild read. Even just do the first book. It'll mess with you at the start, until you get a handle on how its being written, but after that, its just a nutty read.

Only fun if you don't take conspiracy theories seriously, 'cause he isn't.

Guest goodhelmet

might as well throw in a couple of tom wolfe books...

electric kool-aid acid test

bonfire of the vanities

Guest pinnacleofallthingsmanly

My favorite book is The Great Train Robbery by Michael Chricton.

Guest Incandenza
I bought Foley is Good.It looks like a good novel.

I'll tell you this now, since your English teacher is likely to later: That is not a novel. Novels are fiction.