TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Black Tiger

Under Appreciated movies

Guest Black Tiger

What do y'all think are under appreciated movies? I think that Drop Dead Fred is one of the better "fantasy comedy" films I've ever seen, but hardly anyone remembers it.

Guest WrestlingDeacon

Kenneth Branagh's Dead Again is a great neo-noir and probably his best non-Shakespearean film.

Immortal Beloved and Jennifer 8 are both guilty pleasures of mine even though I would term both as being a little pretension and hammy in the acting.

Wait Until Dark has the most tense last half hour I've ever seen in a thriller.

My holy trinity of 80's movies are Big Trouble in Little China, The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai and Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins, all great action comedies.

I think most Blaxsploitation is dismissed out of hand, but Blackula is an excellent horror film for the period and Shaft and Superfly are two of the best films from the seventies.

My favorite musical is Finian's Rainbow. It was Fred Astaire's last musical and Francis Ford Coppola's first big studio effort. It has some really good songs it and from a historical prespective is one of the last "golden age" style Hollywood films.

Darby O'Gill and the Little People and Magic in the Water are both underrated children's films which are fun and magical without being pandering.

I could go on and on, but I'll stop there.

Guest Smell the ratings!!!
My holy trinity of 80's movies are Big Trouble in Little China, The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai and Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins, all great action comedies.

YES!!!! :headbang:

Guest Flyboy

Drop Dead Fred does indeed own.

Pay It Foward never gets the praise it deserves either.

Guest CoreyLazarus416
Cast A Deadly Spell is barely known. It's basically a comedic thriller using Lovecraft's work as a basis. I found it really fun to watch, and best of all, FRED WARD~!

Guest cabbageboy

Here is one: Nails with Dennis Hopper. That is one of the funniest cop movies I've ever seen, but I'm not exactly sure if it is meant to be.

"I'm your worst nightmare Francois......a pissed off white cop without a badge!"

BWHAHAHAHAAHAHA

Guest ShamRock
Pay It Foward never gets the praise it deserves either.

Amen to that.

Men of Honor is a pretty good movie too.

Forrest Gump

Guest Youth N Asia
Forrest Gump

Forest Gump? While I like the movie I wouldn't call it underappreciated.

DEATH RACE 2000!!!!! not enough people have seen this damn movie. It's a classic.

If i watched Remo Williams and Death Race back to back, I think I might just die right there in my seat.

As far as Pay It Forward, I saw it for free in a sneak preview. I asked for my money back.

Speaking of sweet ass movies, I will continue to pimp Signs on this board, even though it has been made painfully clear that everyone else hates it. :P

Guest T®ITEC

Dark City, from 1998. I love that movie so much, and I hardly hear anything about it.

Clue was very awesome...

Dark City, from 1998. I love that movie so much, and I hardly hear anything about it.

I also pimp this movie savagely. Trouble is, it was a huge bomb in theaters and fell off the face of the earth, like tritec said.

You know what else was a good movie? The Cell. Vincent(unintelligible abbriviation) was awesome. And this was back when Jlo was still, you know, an actress.

Guest Youth N Asia
The Princess Bride and Time Bandits both come to mind for me.

The Princess Bride is very appreciated...everyone loves that damn movie...myself included.

"My name is Inigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepair to die

Guest raptor

Here are some of my favorites that I think are underappreciated:

Big Trouble In Little China

13 Ghosts (The original)

Remo Williams

Tremors

Mallrats

The Hills Have Eyes

When a Stranger Calls

Knockaround Guys (everybody seemed to hate it)

Pitch Black

Guest WrestlingDeacon

Someone sell me on Pay It Forward since so many of you guys are pimping it. I never saw it because everyone I ever heard of said it was a piece of pretensious barf. Why is it any good?

Guest C.H.U.D.
Dark City is a classic example of a great film that bombed and has been seen by almost no one.

Guest El Satanico

Clue is a pretty good never mentioned movie. It has a great sense of humor and is extremely funny in parts.

I think Stanly Kubrick's Lolita is often overlooked and is underappreciated. When someone says Stanley Kubrick and comedy people usually think Dr. Strangelove. Lolita is a very dark comedy with some great scenes. It also features a great performance from James Mason and a great comedic performance from the great Peter Sellers.

Guest kkktookmybabyaway

"Pay It Foward never gets the praise it feserves either."

My better half has that one in her DVD collection, and every time it's on I leave the room. God I hated that movie. I was also disappointed with Men of Honor. I didn't hate it, but it could have been better, imo.

Anyway, now it's time to flame me. I always loved Don't Be A Menace To South Central While Drinking Your Juice In The Hood. 20x better than those lame Scary Movies...

Guest CoreyLazarus416

Hey, I think a good chunk of people like Don't Be A Menace... and hate Scary Movie. For one thing, Don't Be A Menace... was, ya know, FUNNY after more than one viewing. It's a good parody of "ghetto movies," and shows just how stupid lots of the behavior is.

Guest Lord of The Curry

Office Space (quite possibly the funniest movie of all time)

Chasing Amy

The 13th Warrior

Proof of Life

Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels. (Everybody always focuses on Snatch instead.)

Guest godthedog

'go' is a real good one.

'empire of the sun' is one of spielberg's better movies, & nobody's even heard of it.

'the war zone' was a GREAT movie by a guy most people have heard of as an actor (tim roth), but it never gets any love.

while we're pimping Tim Roth, there's a Tarintino flick with him called Four Rooms, it's pretty hilarious, especially the ending.

Deacon: Pay it Forward is an absolutly pretentious piece of barf. If you're a Kevin Spacey fan, you'll hate it even more, because such a piece of shit is so far below him. Also, I think this was his first movie after American Beauty, which makes it even more of a slap in the face.

CHUD: It took me damn near a month to find a working copy of Dark City on the net. Did this movie come out on DVD, like, ever?

Sleeeep....