TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest pappajacks

Question for students

Guest pappajacks

As a student, do you use the Internet as main source of information, or do you prefer using encyclopedias, CD ROMs, newspaper clippings, etc? I find with the Internet, some sources may not be as reputable as they may claim.

Guest Sandman9000

The internet, but I am careful where to look. I usually start with some of the search engines that the library links to (LexisNexis, etc...), and from there, google. I'm careful to see whatelse the site offers in way of content. If it looks shady, I usually do not use that site as a source.

Guest Slapnuts00

Internet, nothing like doing your research in your pajamas and being able to chat about wrestling at the same time!

Guest Kingpk

I use the net most of the time, but I use Encarta's Web Links to find good sites, which are checked for accuracy and things like that.

Guest ISportsFan

Internet. It works best, obviously, if your school (in my case, my high school) has a way to let you use their pay services from home (like ProQuest, for example). But, even if not, the Internet is easier and works.

Jason

Guest CanadianChris

Heck, I used the Internet when I was a student (graduated 5 years ago), and it wasn't anything then like it is now. It's light-years beyond anything in print.

Guest The Electrifyer

Internet for me. It's easy and theres so much less work than finding an actual book or newspaper.

Guest Olympic Slam

Internet because the encyclopedia letter I need magically dissapears everytime I need it.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

I usually use the net to point me towards sources, then do the footwork and page-thumbing from there.

Guest Ace309

I get most of my news per se from the internet by way of my Palm Pilot. Everyone should have one of these as it makes doing and shirking work infinitely more convenient. I do also read the newspapers regularly, if only because they're available free of charge on campus to students with a valid ID card. It's a paper machine that reads a magnetic stripe on your UB-Card and entitles you to a free copy each of USA Today and the New York Times. Fun fun fun.

As far as encyclopedias and so forth, I'm a library rat and it ends up at about 50-50 for paper vs. internet sources.

Guest Brian

Well, you can use a lot of databases through the internet that works really well. Look for .edu, .org, .gov as they are generally the most trustworthy.

Guest evenflowDDT

I always use the internet, although I do of course have to keep into account the bias of the source reporting it. However, said bias isn't any worse than the bias in physical print media, so as long as you're aware of it there really isn't a problem.

As for encyclopedias, they're rarely the most recent versions and rarely give current/useful information on a topic. What's their purpose again?