TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Redhawk

"Eddy mows my lawn", etc.

Guest Redhawk

Let me start off by saying I'm as non-PC as it gets. I don't care if Cleveland is called the Indians or if you call me Black instead of "African-American." But for years I've been seeing these signs:

"EDDY GUERRERO MOWS MY LAWN"

"EDDY AND CHAVO STOLE MY CAR"

"EDDY SELLS ORANGES UNDER THE FREEWAY ON-RAMP"

Aren't these racist? And why is WWE allowing them to be brought in the building...let alone being shown on TV...when they'll confiscate a "TRIPLE H TAKES STEROIDS" sign?

Statements like that play to the negative Mexican/Latino stereotype, but since Eddy calls himself Latino Heat, it's okay? Imagine the backlash they'd get for signs that said, "BOOKER T EATS WATERMELON" or "D'LO STOLE MY BIKE."

Any thoughts?

Guest TheArchiteck

Yea, I hate seeing those signs. It's very racist in my opinion. It bad when they don't take em away....but give em camera time too!? Thats complete bullshit.

Guest Raven_Effect01
Imagine the backlash they'd get for signs that said, "BOOKER T EATS WATERMELON" or "D'LO STOLE MY BIKE."

WWE also has Booker T advertising Hungry Man chicken(food served during Soul Food occasions).

Guest The Mighty Damaramu

It's because Eddie is a heel...and according to WWE heels aren't human. Until they turn face, then they're saints.

Guest RickyChosyu

Yes, it's quite racist. WWE has made no effort to remove such signs from the crowd (they usually focus on them durring the Guererros' entrance, actually) so it's probably just going to get worse.

The "Black guys love them some soul food" thing isn't new, either. Anyone was remembers Slick should remember the video package of him enjoying fried chicken, too.

The "Black guys love them some soul food" thing isn't new, either. Anyone was remembers Slick should remember the video package of him enjoying fried chicken, too.

This was before he became Reverend Slick, right?

Guest Your Olympic Hero
Imagine the backlash they'd get for signs that said, "BOOKER T EATS WATERMELON" or "D'LO STOLE MY BIKE."

WWE also has Booker T advertising Hungry Man chicken(food served during Soul Food occasions).

Fried chicken, mashed "potatas", coh'n, PUDDIN!

Guest DrTom

I guess they are racist, but I don't think the fans who make them do so to be horrible people. Eddy plays a stereotype and a caricature (as opposed to a character), so it's only natural that the fans respond with signs like that, since he's a heel.

As far as I know, Los Guerreros have not complained about the signs, and I refuse to be offended by proxy.

Guest bob_barron

What's wrong with Booker T advertising Hungry Man Chicken???

I don't see a problem with the Eddy mows my lawn signs as they're all in good fun and some are quite funny

Guest Redhawk
I don't see a problem with the Eddy mows my lawn signs as they're all in good fun and some are quite funny

"Some are quite funny"?!? They all say the same exact thing! There's no variation. The only difference is in how they spell "Eddy." I wouldn't have a problem with them if Eddy had EVER played a character that stole cars or mowed lawns. But while he does play into the Rico Suave-wannabe, jealous Latino boyfriend stereotype, there are guys of all races who are jerks with women. That's like saying just because The Cat says "jive turkey"--which is one portion of a Black stereotype--it's okay to call him a coon, since that's another.

Guest bob_barron

Yes- I find them to be quite funny as they always make me laugh.

Like I said- the signs are all in good fun and I don't think any of the fans are being racist or anything by it.

Guest Redhawk

I don't think the fans are racist...they're just sheep. But isn't WWE racist for allowing them to get air time? You'd never see a "VINCE IS AN IRISH PIG" sign, would you?

Most of the time, I see kids holding up those signs. They don't know what the Hell that means, they just saw it on tv. But when adults bring those signs in, then I have a problem. You know damn well that the sign IS a form of racism.

But then again, like Damaramu said, heels aren't considered human in the WWF, so fuck it.

Guest Mulatto Heat

Oh, there's more variations than Eddy/Eddie.

Sometimes "Guerrero" will be misspelled, and hell, once "mowed" was missing a w.

Goes to show the mental capacity displayed by these fans.

Guest bob_barron

The Guerreros are heels and the signs are meant to piss the Guerreros off. I don't really see the problem with them

Guest godthedog

they are quite racist. i thought the first one was funny, but now that it's caught on the novelty of it is gone.

what i'd really like to do at a smackdown taping is have an "eddie guerrero mows my lawn" sign, & have my friend next to me carry a "rey mysterio mows my lawn" sign. then we can get into a fight.

Guest RickyChosyu
Eddy plays a stereotype and a caricature (as opposed to a character), so it's only natural that the fans respond with signs like that, since he's a heel.

Probably the most relevant point made so far. If Eddy wasn't playing such a blatant ethnic stereotype, people wouldn't be as inclined to make fun of his ethnicity.

As far as I know, Los Guerreros have not complained about the signs, and I refuse to be offended by proxy.

This, I don't know about. Just because a person of Mexican decent makes fun of Mexican people doesn't make it any less offensive to me, (I'm not Mexican, but I still find it unneccesary) ya know? You're right, I doubt we'll see them go away unless Eddy, Chavo, or someone else complains, but just because they're ok with making fun of themselves doesn't mean I have to laugh at it.

Of course, this is wrestling, and this kind of thing has been an integral part of it since I've been watching it, but more and more I'm starting to wonder whether Eddy actually finds this funny, or he's just keeping quiet so as to be a "company man," which would make sense considering he's probably trying be on good behavior after his hiatus.

Guest razazteca

the WWE has always made sterotypes out of non-white wrestlers, the exception is the Rock.

Mexicans = Latino Heat

Black = Suckaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa eat my Fried Chicken

Japanese = INDEED~ dubbed voice over

Samoans = savage island fat bastards to gangster Fat Joe want-a-be

Guest Ram

Maybe Eddy really does mow their lawns, Eddy and Chavo stole their cars, and sell oranges as a side job.

Lighten up. Offensive = media attention = ratings.

Guest gangsteruwa

Would anyone be offended if there was a sign that said "Vince is a Potato Farmer" or "Stamboli is a mobster." What about the "Where's my pizza" chants the FBI would get?

If it is said jokingly I see no problem. A lot of black comics call white people crackers and I'm not offended (being a cracker myself). I know it is generally said jokingly. I laugh at jokes directed at people of any race, religion, mental health, or sexuality. Almost every straight male laughs at gay jokes, most people laugh at jokes about retards, everyone laughs at blonde jokes (even blondes because they are too stupid to do otherwise). I just think the double standard is stupid. It's dumb that its ok that non-white people can make fun of white people, but white people can't make fun of non-white people. It's fun picking on people. The problem is when people start taking shit too seriously, and get violent against people that are different.

Guest deadbeater

If there are going to be ethnic or other jokes about some wrestlers, don't do the same exact one, damn! Heck, I can think of a dozen Molly jokes that are better than "fat ass" or "overweight", and that she might even think is funny.

Guest RickyChosyu
Maybe Eddy really does mow their lawns, Eddy and Chavo stole their cars, and sell oranges as a side job.

Lighten up. Offensive = media attention = ratings.

Oh, yeah, the racism is certainly grabbing ratings. Now they just need to take a hint from NWA-TNA and go all the way with the racism angles.

If it is said jokingly I see no problem. A lot of black comics call white people crackers and I'm not offended (being a cracker myself). I know it is generally said jokingly. I laugh at jokes directed at people of any race, religion, mental health, or sexuality. Almost every straight male laughs at gay jokes, most people laugh at jokes about retards, everyone laughs at blonde jokes (even blondes because they are too stupid to do otherwise). I just think the double standard is stupid. It's dumb that its ok that non-white people can make fun of white people, but white people can't make fun of non-white people. It's fun picking on people. The problem is when people start taking shit too seriously, and get violent against people that are different.

Jokes about a certain race/group/sexual preference/gender can be funny at times, but it's important that they be recognized as such. The WWE having Eddy play a racial stereotype is nothing new, but it can still be harmfull if people grow too accustomed to calling Mexicans "just those stupid farm-hands" and what-not. Yeah, PC is stupid and often unneccesary, but biggotry has to start somewhere, and it's often through stupid caricature's like the one Eddy is playing.

Guest AndrewTS
Would anyone be offended if there was a sign that said "Vince is a Potato Farmer" or "Stamboli is a mobster." What about the "Where's my pizza" chants the FBI would get?

I avoid it usually, but being overly PC pisses me off.

"WHERE'S MY PIZZA?" Heheh--that always got me rolling. If only WWE fans were as enthusiastic as ECW ones were.

Guest dreamer420

I find the signs funny. Eddie obviously has no problem with them, or they wouldn't be featured on Smackdown every week.

Guest geniusMoment

It could be worse.

I was at the ECW arena for almost every show and a couple of times a group of fans began a hiroshima chant directed at tajiri.

It was the classic ecw cheer pattern of breaking the word up into syllabols and then clapping afterward.

Guest creativename

My girlfriend brought a "Eddie stole my hubcaps" sign to Survivor Series. She was quite excited about it actually.

But since I had a "Eddie = GOD" sign, I think that made up for it :P

Guest creativename
It could be worse.

I was at the ECW arena for almost every show and a couple of times a group of fans began a hiroshima chant directed at tajiri.

It was the classic ecw cheer pattern of breaking the word up into syllabols and then clapping afterward.

Oh my f*cking god, that is just so disturbing. I'm actually physically sick to my stomach now after reading that.

That's just awful. I'm picturing a situation in my head where Kurt Angle is the heel at a Japanese or British PPV and they're chanting "World Trade Centers (clap, clap, clap clap clap)". In fact this Hiroshima thing would be an order of magnitude worse than that even--since at least 34 times as many people died at Hiroshima (and that's not counting nuclear fallout)--but of course the Towers is a fresh wound.

Just thinking about both scenarios is repulsive. I don't know if Tajiri even gave a flying f*ck about the chant, but it doesn't matter really; the fact that the fans actually chanted that is very disheartening.

Guest geniusMoment

The hiroshima chant only happened twice that I can remember and most of the crowd was pretty strongly against it. Its weird America made such a big deal about the people of pakistan celebrating in the streets after the WTC was bombed and yet you see something like this from americans. It makes you realize we are all just people and every country has scumbags