TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Redhawk

"Eddy mows my lawn", etc.

Guest griffinmills

I'm pretty sure those commercials were made with Booker T's consent. They sure as hell didn't force him.

Racism is tough to discuss as people SERIOUSLY over-react. Like saying they are getting violently ill because they read about some assholes insulting a wrestler. Although if I heard a WTC chant I would laugh my ass off. As with any insult, consider the source. Correct?

Guest The Hamburglar

The Eddie signs would be a little disturbing if he and Chavo weren't so deliciously over the top. Come on, they are the most exquisitely sleazy, greasy stereotypes there are, and I for one like 'em that way. The gimmick adds to Eddie's own personal brand of Evil, and the fans respomd in kind. Anyhoo, the argument is slightly moot considering Rey's a Mexican and he doesn't get stereotype gimmicks and signs. Eddie just happens to play that particular role rather well. And hey, if everyone's going to get all pissy over RACISM~! where's all the anger at the William Regal character? Its a terrible stereotype of the British doncha know.

Guest creativename
Racism is tough to discuss as people SERIOUSLY over-react. Like saying they are getting violently ill because they read about some assholes insulting a wrestler. Although if I heard a WTC chant I would laugh my ass off. As with any insult, consider the source. Correct?

Gee, I wonder who you're referring to. Real subtle there, kid.

I don't give a sh*t about the racism. But a Hiroshima chant is just vile.

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen

Guys, I grew up in Philly. I went to ECW shows religously from 95 to 99, and I'll tell you guys something. When you go to one, you stop being human. You become a vicous bastard who's only goal is to legitamately piss off the workers. The Hiroshima chant is something I wouldn't condone here, but if one broke out at ECW Arena, I can see someone might just break into. See, most of these chants walk the line between funny and offensive. For example, for Tajiri's first month and half in ECW, there were huge chants of "You're Not Muta" in the "Let's Go Flyers" style. THOSE were funny. "AAAAAALLLL-DDDOOOOOO" was funny, "You Fucked Up" was funny, "Johnny Polo" was funny.

For every mean chant there were four or five really good ones.

Guest creativename

Actually I always admired the EC-Dub fans' creativity in chanting. I wish more fans were like the mutants. Wrestling would be more enjoyable if that were the case. It's just that one particular chant that is highly disturbing.

"You're not Muta"--:lol:

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen
where's all the anger at the William Regal character? Its a terrible stereotype of the British doncha know.

On the whole, the Britsh don't get prissy about stereotypes. I mean no one complained about Star wars: A New Hope because all the villians were British. The British don't really get that emotional about those kinds of things. I also think that since the two best known English stereotypical characters are James Bond and Sherlock Holmes, they kind of balance out all the "EEEEEEEEEEVIIIIIIIIIIILLLLLLLLL" types.

Guest MarvinisaLunatic

Hmm..lets all remember when Eddy was happy when he got his GED.

The whole Eddy Guerrero character is a stereotype, from the mullet to the fake accent to his in ring mannerisms. Its only quite logical that the fans would pick up on it and evolve it into other stereotypes. I dont think the WWE can ban/censor the signs without altering his character first.

Guest Prime Time Andrew Doyle

Doesn't it only really matter if Eddy & Chavo get offended by it ?

Guest The Old Me

When I first starting seeing the signs more frequently...I thought it was a little strange. But since WWE does have them playing such over the top characters, I don't see a HUGE problem with it. While I surely wouldn't make a sign like that, and I'm surely not saying WWE is NOT racist, people should not a make a big deal out of the lawn mower signs.

Guest Vyce
It could be worse.

I was at the ECW arena for almost every show and a couple of times a group of fans began a hiroshima chant directed at tajiri.

It was the classic ecw cheer pattern of breaking the word up into syllabols and then clapping afterward.

Oh my f*cking god, that is just so disturbing. I'm actually physically sick to my stomach now after reading that.

That's just awful. I'm picturing a situation in my head where Kurt Angle is the heel at a Japanese or British PPV and they're chanting "World Trade Centers (clap, clap, clap clap clap)". In fact this Hiroshima thing would be an order of magnitude worse than that even--since at least 34 times as many people died at Hiroshima (and that's not counting nuclear fallout)--but of course the Towers is a fresh wound.

Just thinking about both scenarios is repulsive. I don't know if Tajiri even gave a flying f*ck about the chant, but it doesn't matter really; the fact that the fans actually chanted that is very disheartening.

I agree, that's just fucked up.

I'm leaning towards ECW fan hate at the moment. You ECW diehards really are goddamn mutants.

I'm not a PC guy at all, in fact I love politically incorrect humor, but the "Mow my lawn" shit is just unnecessary. If they have the signs, okay, whatever, but you don't have to air them on TV.

Of course, the WWE doesn't make things any better by having Eddy speak with the thickest Spanglish accent possible.

Guest Redhawk

Why can't Eddy and Chavo just be playing slimy guys, rather than slimy Mexican guys? I mean just because Triple H is a jerk on screen, it's not supposed to be a "French people are jerks" thing, is it? But as it is, I'm cool with signs talking about Eddy's mullett, his accent, even his GED troubles. That's because his character has actually entailed all of those things. But nothing in his character has even mentioned stealing cars and mowing lawns. Saying "BOOKER T STOLE MY TRUCK" would make more sense, since Booker has actually done that.

Guest bob_barron

I've seen an Eddy stole my car sign in WWF/E.

Triple H has never been portrayed as being French.