TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest godthedog

top __ albums

Guest godthedog

i'm blatantly ripping this off of kinetic. he can do it with a whole thread devoted to it, why can't everybody else?

well, everybody else obviously can't have their own thread for it, but everybody can still list their favorites.

no set number for favorites, just don't be like "oh i love all these albums..." and list 30 or 40, cause that's no fun and involves no process of actually narrowing anything down.

and away we go, with my top 15...

1. abbey road, the beatles

2. revolver, the beatles

3. the white album, the beatles

4. electric ladyland, jimi hendrix

5. fumbling towards ecstasy, sarah mclachlan

6. the pod, ween

7. plastic ono band, john lennon

8. velvet underground and nico

8. the grey album

8. loaded (i did this cause i honestly can't figure out which of these 3 VU albums is better)

11. kind of blue, miles davis

12. in utero, nirvana

13. grace, jeff buckley

14. boys for pele, tori amos

15. paul's boutique, beastie boys

EDIT: 16. rage against the machine (self-titled)

i'll add arguments after i finish my paper & have had enough of the orson welles marathon. i'll also probably change the list around as i think about it more.

add your own, make comments.

Guest Kinetic

Sarah McLachlan? Huh. I have no poignant criticisms to make of her, but I always disliked the singles. Matter of opinion, I guess. I'm glad to see that White Light/White Heat didn't make the cut, though. That album defines overrated.

Guest goodhelmet

i personallythink VU is overrated as a whole. i mean, when i was getting high i enjoyed them but it's a different experience when you are sober. it's the same reason i can't listen to mr. bungle anymore. i have no problem with the beatles selesctions but the albums i can think of immediately that would be on my list (non-beatles) would be ..

rolling stones- beggar's banquet

the who- who's next

david bowie- hunky dory

queen- sheer heart attack

alice cooper- billion dollar babies

pearl jam- yield

john lennon- plastic ono band

elton john- captain fantastic

Guest Kinetic

No Dylan or Neil Young? Where's that Captain Hawk guy to back me up on their genius?

Guest ArkhamGlobe

I'll go top six for now:

The Kinks - Something Else by the Kinks

The Beatles - Revolver

The Beatles - Abbey Road

Neil Young - Tonight's the Night

Tom Waits - Rain Dogs

Talking Heads - Fear of Music

Going any higher would probably drive me into insanity, but I'll probably give it a shot later on anyway.

Guest Kinetic

Damn skippy. I thought about including Something Else by The Kinks but eventually decided against it. If not for the puzzling inclusions of "Harry Rag" and "Tin Soldier Man," it might have made the cut.

Guest goodhelmet

if i went with a kinks album, my favorite happens to be Lola Versus Powerman & The Moneygoround, but i don't know if it is in my top 15.

i could include a neil young album, maybe, possibly, could be, but not right now.

as for dylan, i know of his genius but i just happen to like all of his songs sung by other artists. my favorite songs from his are spread out across several albums and even though i know most of them are critically acclaimed, none of them strike me as must haves (for my tastes). i would just assume pick up the greatest hits and never deal with it again.

Guest Incandenza

I don't like Bob Dylan. There, I've said it. Fuck him in his boring, mumbling ass.

Guest Kinetic

Well, it's good that you're getting it out in the open. Everyone's entitled to their opinion and all that. As long as you know that you're wrong. So, so wrong.

Actually, I'd be interested in hearing what it is that you don't like about him. The vocals or what?

Guest Incandenza
you like tom waits and don't like bob dylan? how does that work?

Quite well, thanks for asking.

Guest godthedog
you like tom waits and don't like bob dylan?  how does that work?

Quite well, thanks for asking.

oh yeah? well...well...well i don't like tom waits.

Guest Kinetic

Goddamnit, now is the part of the thread where you defend your outrageous, heretical opinion.

Guest Incandenza

I'd explain, but I'm currently taking a break from writing an essay. I'm too drained to think...though I'm damn sure I find Bob Dylan boring.

As for the Dylan/Waits comparison, they both have unusual voices, but are quite different in every other fashion.

EDIT: I may never bother to explain why. It's more mysterious that way.

Guest Kinetic

Well, that's fine. I respect your opinion. However, I must inform you that you are now dead to me. In fact, you top my all-time top five list of living people who are dead to me.

1. Incandenza

2. Paul McCartney

3. Sting

4. Jason Alexander

5. Dennis Miller

Guest godthedog
Goddamnit, now is the part of the thread where you defend your outrageous, heretical opinion.

me or inc?

cause i was just saying that to be funny, i've never heard a tom waits album.

which may be considered more heretical than not liking him. but there it is.

Guest Incandenza

I don't hate him, it's just...ah, fuck it. Nothing I say will be good enough. I've been through this before.

Guest Kinetic

I was addressing He Who Has No Name. I've never heard a Tom Waits album, either, for the record. I'm sure I will someday and I'll probably like it, but it hasn't come up yet.

Guest LooseCannon

Man this feels just like the time I walked into the kitchen to get some Orange juice just as my brother was telling my parents that he was gay.

*tip toes back out of the room*

Guest Incandenza

Another hindrance for me to further explain why I don't like Dylan is that I can't stay awake long enough to properly judge any of his albums.

Guest LooseCannon

I recently purchased Swordfishtrombones. It's a good album. I'd recommend it.

Guest Kinetic

God...I don't understand what you're saying, it all sounds so crazy. How could anyone consider Blonde on Blonde boring? It's the work of a manic genius at the height of his powers!

Guest Incandenza

I've never heard Blonde on Blonde. I've heard John Wesley Harding and The Times They Are A-Changin'. Neither one made me want to go any further. I'm at peace with this.

Guest LooseCannon

I've heard Blonde on blonde, blood on the tracks, and highway 61 revisted. Good stuff, there. I think my favorite song is "Stuck inside of Mobile with the Memphis blues again."

Guest Kinetic

That isn't a proper introduction. Times is a hardcore folk album...even I don't like it. John Wesley Harding is an acquired taste, for sure. The holy trinity of Bob Dylan records is Bringing It All Back Home, Highway 61 Revisited, and Blonde on Blonde. Not to press the issue or anything, but definitely check those out before making any definitive judgements on Dylan's merit.

Guest goodhelmet
Well, that's fine. I respect your opinion. However, I must inform you that you are now dead to me. In fact, you top my all-time top five list of living people who are dead to me.

1. Incandenza

2. Paul McCartney

3. Sting

4. Jason Alexander

5. Dennis Miller

hold up there cowboy! two beatles are already dead and i haven't seen mccartney in concert yet so that motherfucker cannot die... or be implied as dead in any form or fashion.

if it makes you happy, i made a really killer comp straight from kazaa of bob dylan songs. sadly, i have a byrds comp i enjoy more with more dylan songs than the dylan comp.

Guest Kinetic

Well, there's something. Even if you're not a fan of his music, it's hard to deny that he's rock's greatest poet and contributed an awful lot to anything and everything from the 60s.