Second Row:

The Hives - Veni Vidi Vicious

The White Stripes - Elephant

Bob Dylan - The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan

Third Row:

Bob Dylan - Nashville Skyline

Oysterhead - The Grand Pecking Order

Guest R2DFooster McSockman

I've only heard Jim O'Rourke through his work with Sonic Youth (being familiar with SYR 3, some of SYR 4 and Murray Street). How does his solo stuff compare?

d51401o9f95.jpg d6642808gfk.jpg

Radiohead - Edinburgh Corn Exchange, 21/05/03 (I WAS THERE!!!)

e5756454ziy.jpg d66640td4gj.jpg e211847s5ya.jpg

Edited by R2DFooster McSockman

Guest Incandenza
I've only heard Jim O'Rourke through his work with Sonic Youth (being familiar with SYR 3, some of SYR 4 and Murray Street). How does his solo stuff compare?

Depends on the album. Some of it is electro-acoustic (not really my bag), but he also does avant pop (Eureka) and straightforward--for him, anyway--rock (Insignificance). Unlike Sonic Youth, he doesn't delve into noise very often, but his music remains inaccessible to the impatient or inattentive listener.

Guest La Parka Es Mi Papa

f58988zhy8t.jpgd6643137517.jpgf60130iffzd.jpg

e9799264337.jpgd659409rm33.jpge9665166i1l.jpg

d12459cgilp.jpgf56222p4g2p.jpg

Row 1:

Johnny Cash - The Sun Years

Talking Heads - Speaking In Tongues

Rolling Stones - Exile On Main Street

Row 2:

Leonard Cohen - Ten New Songs

Rolling Stones - Sticky Fingers

Oysterhead - The Grand Pecking Order

Row 3:

Bob Dylan - Nashville Skyline

Bob Dylan - The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan

Guest Edwin MacPhisto

Today:

f42810x9hct.jpge979713h3u3.jpge334008sif2.jpg

Right now: e82981m2htv.jpg

On deck: d53239uyomg.jpg

The only one that isn't obvious is what I'm listening to right now, which is Bonnie Prince Billy's I See A Darkness. I'd heard a bit of Master and Everyone, but I *really* like this. It's immediately more affecting, and resonant and low-key at the same time.

Today was also the first time I listened to Songs for the Deaf all the way through. Doesn't quite hold up to R--it's overlong by 2 or 3 tracks and the heavy distortion makes a lot of stuff too samey, but I still dig it deeply. I even like the radio DJ bits, which probably makes me a strange beast.

Guest Anorak

e147826vw40.jpge42086hejwy.jpg

c971821d024.jpgd38373xc667.jpg

The Kinks -- Something Else By The Kinks

Noahjohn -- Tadpoles

Gorky's Zygotic Mynci -- Barafundle

The Queers -- Love Songs For The Retarded

Guest Incandenza

f91342e607k.jpgc858417j06w.jpge54587wllrj.jpg

(l-r)

A Northern Chorus--Spirit Flags (reviewed for radio station; decent shoegaze stuff)

Spiritualized--Lazer Guided Melodies

Bedhead--Transaction de Novo

And Edwin, I See a Darkness is indeed better than Master and Everyone. The latter is a little too unassuming; it's almost as if didn't exist.

Guest saturnmark4life

B000005GWV.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpgB00000740H.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

B00003Q40L.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpgB00004WLF6.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Mr Bungle - 'Mr Bungle'

Another Patton release that laughably was slated in many 'reviews'

Sparks - 'Propaganda'

The second album from the band that own you for free. If you don't like at least 80% of this, we can never be friends.

Wire - 'On Returning (1977-79)

Hugely influential Brit punk, but more than that. And 'Strange' the REM track was originally theirs.

Residents - 'Roadworms' alternative versions of stuff from 'Wormwood', and really, I cannot praise it enough. Incredible.

Edited by saturnmark4life

Guest saturnmark4life

^Sorry that took me a while, I normally communicate by pigeon.

B00005ATHK.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Guest Edwin MacPhisto

d77684q57t5.jpgf60038pvo5g.jpg

f69712ln403.jpgf43474eq0c9.jpg

Kyuss, Blues for the Red Sun - Pretty cool. This is the first major band of the Queens of the Stone Age guys. A bit heavier, a bit fuzzier, and with less pop sensibility. I prefer Queens, but this is still pretty good.

Michael Jackson, Off the Wall - Even better than Thriller? It doesn't have that album's amaaaazin' singles, but it's more coherent and oh MAN is it just cool. "Girlfriend" beats Justin Timberlake to the psychosexual poppy braggadocio by a measure of two decades and a better hook. Burn this disco out indeed.

Ted Leo & the Pharmacists, Hearts of Oak - Much-vaunted indie rock/power-pop/sorta-punky-new-wavey outfit. Lives up to the hype pretty nicely--a few stinkers lyrically that remind me of Ben Folds with a guitar and some amphetamines, but damn infectious all the same. A lot of it's just flat-out good pop-rock. Heard a couple songs off his 2001 album too; that one seems like it might be a slightly better version of this, with "Biomusicology" as the leading evidence.

Interpol, Turn on the Bright Lights - My favorite new band of last year. "NYC" and "The New" remain gorgeous, "Obstacle 1" continues to rock. No bad tracks, great feel, and a really tight concert too.

Guest Incandenza

f45961vp28f.jpge54587wllrj.jpgf24547lrbmv.jpg

d93576o4576.jpge31747pupb6.jpg

The Birthday Party--Junkyard

Bedhead--Tranasction de Novo

The Blood Brothers--This Adultery is Ripe

Les Savy Fav--The Cat and the Cobra

Don Caballero--American Don

Guest saturnmark4life

It leads to Kraftwerk? ARRRRRRGH!

(I like Kraftwerk)

Guest evenflowDDT
The Queers -- Love Songs For The Retarded

How are The Queers? I've never heard any of their songs...was looking forward to seeing them a couple weeks back when I went to one of Lookout! Record's 15th Anniversary shows, but Joe Queer got messed up on heroin, freaked out, and cancelled at the last minute (not sure if the first two are true, but the last one definitely was).

Anywho...

d644269jylr.jpg

The first time I've ever listened to a Bowie album in its entirety, rather than just Bowie singles. I've always loved Bowie singles, but singles are singles...luckily, the entire album held up really well, so well in fact that I spun it twice again back-to-back, and will probably spin it again several more times today. I don't really get the concept behind the concept album though...a few songs connect pretty well, maybe I just need to pay more attention to the lyrics. Or is this a Sgt. Peppers-ish concept album where it's not really a "true" concept album, but has been called one for years anyhow.

It's more about the concert persona, really. It was his first album/tour with the really glammed-out, now-archetypal Bowie image, as far as I know. On the album, it's pretty just sort of about the psychedelic rock-out feeling. The only stuff that really holds together is "Ziggy Stardust" itself, which is about the character, plus "Rock n' Roll Suicide," which is sorta supposed to be about his death. More or less, it's just a great, cohesive album with nary a bad track. I'd put it more in the Sgt. Pepper's concept camp than, say, the Nick Cave's Murder Ballads concept album camp.

Guest BAR
Kyuss, Blues for the Red Sun - Pretty cool. This is the first major band of the Queens of the Stone Age guys. A bit heavier, a bit fuzzier, and with less pop sensibility. I prefer Queens, but this is still pretty good.

You really need 'Sky Valley'. It'll show you how pathetic Queens are compared to Kyuss.

QOTSA: Their first album was great. 'If Only' is a personal favourite. Rated R is decent, 'Auto Pilot' is great. And 'Songs For The Deaf' doesn't appeal to me at all.

Kyuss: The first was poor, moving on. 'Blues' is very un-commercial but considered their best by many. 'Sky Valley' is amazing, one of my top 10. 'Circus' is very experimnetal and up their with the big two. The best of is only worth getting for the live tracks.

I--along with a couple of friends--went to Gainesville today. The bulk of what you see hear comprised of what we listened whilst driving:

f43380supb6.jpge21943ccfkw.jpg

c5843157u5d.jpgd77680j518r.jpg

e04297cdmsg.jpgf51666jxffr.jpg

f72872bwo3n.jpg

Miles Davis--In a Silent Way

Miles Davis--Get Up With It

The Lounge Lizards--s/t

Tom Waits--Closing Time

Anal Cunt--It Just Gets Worse

Sigur Ros--( )

Tindersticks--Curtains

The first Davis album listed was actually listened to before I even left the house (it was my morning wake up music); the Tindersticks album was purchased in Gainesville--haven't given it a spin yet, but will before the night is through.