TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Downhome

My 10 year old nephew just started watching...

Guest Downhome

First off, he knows nothing about wrestling, NOTHING. He was asking me TONS of questions night, and he got to HHH. He said that he hates his talking so much, and he isn't good at it, and that thinks his "spitting the water" is the stupidist thing ever. While this is a good thing for a new fan, he refers to Ric Flair as "that old man who follows HHH around".

He also told me he hates The Big Show, and said "He shouldn't even be a wrestler, all he does is walk around and make the place shake, he sucks".

He likes Kurt Angle, "the college person" Chris Harvard, Booker T, and Goldust.

While I have to teach him about Flair and the such, I believe I have a possible smark on my hands here...

...what should I tell him and what shouldn't I? Should I tell him about the workings of how the industry works, or just let him be a mark untill he learns himself how things really are? I love that he's interested in it though, I LOVE seeing young people like this get interested in the sport, it's the future, the future fan.

Sincerely,

...Downhome...

Guest DJ Jeff
he refers to Ric Flair as "that old man who follows HHH around".

:lol:

He also told me he hates The Big Show, and said "He shouldn't even be a wrestler, all he does is walk around and make the place shake, he sucks".

:lol:

It's about the best way to describe them if you don't know who they are.

Guest Downhome
Let him be a mark first.

I agree, I'll never forget when I was one also, woohoo!

I love listening to the little guy talk to me about this, it's great!

Guest BoboBrazil

It will ruin it for him if you tell him all that stuff. Just let him enjoy it for what he sees on television.

Guest BorneAgain

While I have to teach him about Flair and the such, I believe I have a possible smark on my hands here...

If he starts to recognize Benoit's divinity I think you may be right

Guest Downhome

Oh yes, he also loves Rey Mysterio Jr., so that's a good thing. I don't believe he's seen RVD yet however, nor Chris Benoit really. I think I'll make a tape for the little guy. I need to get to him, before the hoss's do.

Guest New World Order of Wrestling

Teach him about the originators Hall & Nash. Then work down the scale to Eddie Guerrero.

Guest AndrewTS

BorneAgain: Heheh...don't forget about Latino Jesus.

And...WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH BPP'S TEETH?!?!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

That's the most disgusting thing I've seen since that picture of a genital wart-infested penis in my Biology book. :throwup:

Guest Downhome

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

That's the most disgusting thing I've seen since that picture of a genital wart-infested penis in my Biology book. :throwup:

You don't remember that feud he had? That promo was one of the funniest things I've ever seen. :D :D :D

Guest AndrewTS

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

You don't remember that feud he had? That promo was one of the funniest things I've ever seen. :D :D :D

Well, I remember watching Nitro consistently even during the worst of it, but people will bring up stuff I have no memory of, like that Steiner SMILE OF DOOM or David Flair in the nWo.

I guess I blocked it out.

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen

Downhome, I know exactly what you mean. I have a 6 Year Old Cousin, and his parents are very strict.(His father, my uncle, was in seminary school before he met my Aunt.) So I made him a tape of older stuff. Ric Flair, Hogan, Steamboat, Lyger, Undertaker, Sting, Angle, Hart. He LOVES it. I get to see him a lot now, and we talk a lot.

It's great to watch his little face light up when he sees one of his guys.

Guest Downhome
Downhome, I know exactly what you mean. I have a 6 Year Old Cousin, and his parents are very strict.(His father, my uncle, was in seminary school before he met my Aunt.) So I made him a tape of older stuff. Ric Flair, Hogan, Steamboat, Lyger, Undertaker, Sting, Angle, Hart. He LOVES it. I get to see him a lot now, and we talk a lot.

I'm thinking of putting a tape together with a variety of stuff like Flair, Steamboat, Dynamite, Tiger Mask I, Lyger, and then even a few things from Hogan and the such. Heh, it sounds much like the tape you made.

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen

I'm thinking of putting a tape together with a variety of stuff like Flair, Steamboat, Dynamite, Tiger Mask I, Lyger, and then even a few things from Hogan and the such. Heh, it sounds much like the tape you made.

If this helps, here's the listing.

Hulk Hogan vs. Randy Savage - WrestleMania V

Ric Flair vs. Sting - Clash of the Champions

Bret Hart vs. Chris Benoit - WCW Mayhem

Brian Pillman vs. Jushin Lyger - SuperBrawl II

Undertaker vs. Psycho Sid - WrestleMania 13

Kurt Angle vs. Chris Jericho vs. Chris Benoit - WrestleMania 2000

So far Taker is his favorite, "'Cause he kicked out of the powerbomb, Bill! How'd he do that?" He likes Benoit because I like him.

Guest Downhome

If this helps, here's the listing.

Hulk Hogan vs. Randy Savage - WrestleMania V

Ric Flair vs. Sting - Clash of the Champions

Bret Hart vs. Chris Benoit - WCW Mayhem

Brian Pillman vs. Jushin Lyger - SuperBrawl II

Undertaker vs. Psycho Sid - WrestleMania 13

Kurt Angle vs. Chris Jericho vs. Chris Benoit - WrestleMania 2000

So far Taker is his favorite, "'Cause he kicked out of the powerbomb, Bill! How'd he do that?" He likes Benoit because I like him.

Nice little variety there. Maybe I should add some Puroresu to really blow him away...

...TIGAHHHH DRIVAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen

Don't go with Puro yet. It'll bore him unless you watch it with him and explain everything.

American Lucha and WWF Main Event is the best stuff to start him out with. Then move up to NWA, then Puro.

Guest Downhome
Don't go with Puro yet. It'll bore him unless you watch it with him and explain everything.

American Lucha and WWF Main Event is the best stuff to start him out with. Then move up to NWA, then Puro.

In my saying "blow his mind", I meant literally, as in confuse the hell out of him, lol.

Guest jester
...what should I tell him and what shouldn't I? Should I tell him about the workings of how the industry works, or just let him be a mark untill he learns himself how things really are? I love that he's interested in it though, I LOVE seeing young people like this get interested in the sport, it's the future, the future fan.

Let him be a mark. He'll find his way on to the Internet and become a smark eventually. It's kinda like the birds and the bees things. Fill in the information when he starts asking questions :)

He said that he hates his talking so much, and he isn't good at it, and that thinks his "spitting the water" is the stupidist thing ever.

While this is a good thing for a new fan, he refers to Ric Flair as "that old man who follows HHH around".

On second thought, he should be given Stephanie's job.

Guest Vern Gagne

Your nephew is already a Smart Mark. He doesn't know the inside stories, but he has the basics of who's good and who's not. Show some tapes of Flair, Benoit, and other talented people. I'm sure he'll enjoy Flair when he wasn't the old man following HGH.

Hey Downhome can you send ME a tape of "Puro for Dummies"? :) Seriously though I've always wanted to see what the Puro elitists are going on about, and see the "wonders" of guys like Ohtani, etc. Of course if the tape thing is a no go, any recommends on what tapes I may want to take a look at?

Guest Jobber of the Week

YIKES. Come on, dude. Let him enjoy it. Let him have a day where he can hate a guy because The Rock tells him to hate him. You don't need to go running back into the 80s, especially if, as you say, the kid knows/knew nearly nothing about wrestling. You risk overexposure and that likely he'll lose his interest.

Feeding 30 minute technical masterpieces to a 10 year old is kind of like taking a kid to Disneyland and pointing out how all the special effects work as you ride along the Haunted Mansion or something.

Hell, my markdom was the whole year of 1999, and I still find it sad when people shit on those storylines ("Where to, Stephanie?!") because I remember them so fondly.

Once the kid starts asking why Kane's chokeslam is so much more powerful than everybody else's chokeslam or complains how stupid the People's Elbow is or something, THEN it will be time to teach him how to appreciate good workrate and break out the old tapes.

Guest Downhome
Hey Downhome can you send ME a tape of "Puro for Dummies"? :) Seriously though I've always wanted to see what the Puro elitists are going on about, and see the "wonders" of guys like Ohtani, etc. Of course if the tape thing is a no go, any recommends on what tapes I may want to take a look at?

Sure, once it's made. I plan on making one, buying a lot of blank tapes from Sams Warehouse, and making copies of it, just for the purpose of sending to some of you guys who are interested, totally free.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Man, kids love Rey. My buddy's little kid is all about Mysterio and Angle.

Basically, show him stuff where guys do lots of flips.

I can about guarantee he'd dig the Rockers and Ultimate Warrior, too.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

Well, I remember watching Nitro consistently even during the worst of it, but people will bring up stuff I have no memory of, like that Steiner SMILE OF DOOM or David Flair in the nWo.

I guess I blocked it out.

David Flair was NOT in the nWo, surely????

Guest Rob Edwards
First off, he knows nothing about wrestling, NOTHING. He was asking me TONS of questions night, and he got to HHH. He said that he hates his talking so much, and he isn't good at it, and that thinks his "spitting the water" is the stupidist thing ever. While this is a good thing for a new fan, he refers to Ric Flair as "that old man who follows HHH around".

Sincerely,

...Downhome...

Yeah let him enjoy his markery first, I wish I could go back in someways, at least he might actually enjoy watching Raw!