TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest TSMAdmin

The Dames' Diatribe on NWA:TNA Week 21

Guest TSMAdmin

NWA:TNA Week 21

Welcome back NWA fans to this week’s Diatribe as NWA’s highly anticipated World Title match between Jeff Jarrett and Ron “The Truth” Killings finally took place.

Before we get to that, however, I’d like to thank everyone for the feedback I received towards my WWE Survivor Series 2002 Diatribe. For those of you who care about such things, I’m pretty much over my bout with the flu and I’m feeling great, thank you.

We kick off the event with the usual panning of the crowd, filled with the usual Athena signs and the best sign I’ve seen in months: “Friends don’t let friends watch Raw”.

We immediately go to Don West Heart Attack Time as he hypes tonight’s card. We then go to a sit down interview taped earlier between Mike Tenay and Ron “The Truth” Killings.

Apparently, Jeff Jarrett refused to be interviewed as he’s totally focused on tonight’s match. Tenay asks Truth about Mr. Wrestling III, who is no longer in the forefront of Truth’s mind. He puts over the passion that both he and Jarrett have for the NWA title, citing how it justifies his struggles as a wrestler and a man. This was probably his 2nd best interview ever.

Divine Storm vs. EZ Money and Sonny Siaki

Match Background: EZ Money debuted last week in TNA against Tony Mamaluke, wowing the crowd with his offense. Siaki has pretty much been looking for a new direction since his feud with Jerry Lynn. Divine Storm, the team comprised of Quiet Storm and Chris Devine, are from the northeast competing regularly in the Ring of Honor promotion. They were also trained by Mikey Whipwreck, like The Amazing Red and the SAT and have faced them numerous times across the country in 6 man tags with their usual cohort Brian XL. This is their first time in NWA:TNA TV.

The Match: Divine and Storm come down to the ring with a valet named Trinity. I’ve seen a lot of their work, but she doesn’t look familiar. I’m curious as to why the face Money is teaming with heel Siaki as it just smells like a Siaki turn to set up EZ’s first feud. The rush in and attack Divine Storm with EZ being tossed over the top rope. Siaki ducks a double clothesline attempt and slides under the ring allowing EZ to hit the Money Clip (flip into the ring, followed by a lariat) on Storm. In a spot that I just can’t stand, EZ comes off the top with a plancha onto Chris Devine and his own partner Siaki. It just bothers me how a wrestler will purposely take out his own partner in order to hit a high risk move on someone. Storm looks to go for a high flying move to the outside, probably a tope or a suicide dive, but they decide to go to instant replay and we miss it. Why can’t you just do split screen like you usually do? When we come back, Divine Storm’s valet, Trinity, does her best Lita impression as she moonsaults onto the pile, landing flush on her own teammate Storm. It looked as if she under shot the move. Back in the ring, Storm hits a ‘rana on Money (who tags out) and tags in Divine to face Siaki. Tenay goes over their background as I learn that Storm and Devine are actually from British Columbia, Canada...which makes a whole lot of sense to me due to Storm’s accent. Devine misses a slingshot plancha on Siaki but does hit a missile dropkick before succumbing to an overhead belly to belly. EZ Money comes back in and takes advantage with a dropkick to the face in the corner on both Devine and Storm. Double hiptoss by Money and Siaki followed by a swinging reverse flapjack. Siaki gets his pumphandle exploder suplex ON THE OUTSIDE on Storm, but Trinity decided to perfect her Lita impersonation and comes off the apron with a flying headscissors on Siaki! She turns around to eat a EZ Money clothesline as well as some verbal abuse....that’s something a heel would do. Back in the ring, EZ gets Storm in a reverse DDT position before lifting him into the air and spinning him around in a nice variation of the Roll of the Dice or Test Drive. EZ heads to the top, but gets crotched by Storm who comes off the 2nd rope with him in a variation of the Ace Crusher (Diamond Cutter) he calls the Storm Crusher. This leads to both men tagging out and Devine hits Siaki with some UGLY dropkicks and a DVD. Money tries to get involved, but Storm takes care of him but the distraction is enough for Siaki to hit the Siakolypse on Devine for the pin.

My Opinion: I’m surprised that the heel Siaki didn’t turn on EZ, but it looks as if there’s a change of character for EZ Money. Quiet Storm didn’t get to show much (he’s the better of the two) and hopefully, we’ll get to see more of him. *.

We go to Father James Mitchell and Belladonna (w/THAT ASS) at the top of the ramp. He cuts a good promo on how he’s not happy to just have the tag titles and how he’ll have his sights set on the NWA World title soon.

Malice vs. Corey Williams

Match Background: None. This is Corey Williams first appearance in NWA:TNA to my knowledge.

The Match: Malice heads to the ring wearing a jacket with “I HATE YOU” spray painted on the back. Malice attacks Williams at the bell and sends him to the outside where he’s whipped into the guard rails several times. Back in the ring, Williams gets a few right hands and a low blow before Malice says “NO POBO” and powerslams him (lightly). He heads to the top and right as he’s to jump off, he slips and falls RIGHT DOWN! He could have seriously hurt himself there. He immediately gets up, chokeslams him and covers him for the pin. Mitchell enters the ring to calm Malice down as he seems legit pissed about blowing that spot.

My Opinion: DUD. Second squash in a row for the returning Malice. At least Corey Williams got more offense in than Kaos last week.

The SAT vs. The Harris Bros.

Match Background: Last week, The SAT defeated The Rainbow Express to advance in the four man tournament to find the number one contenders for the NWA Tag Titles. The Harris’ defeated The Hot Shots as well last week to earn the right to face Jose and Joel Maximo tonight. The winners get either Americas Most Wanted or the Disciples of the New Church next week.

The Match: As the Harris’ come to the ring, Jose Maximo comes flying to the outside with a plancha on Heavy D. He then comes goes to the top and hits Big Ron with a missile dropkick, sending him out to the floor. Jose follows that up as well with a baseball slide into flying headscissors on Heavy D. Joel with a plancha on Big Ron, but he catches Joel and just FLINGS him into the guard rail and tosses him into the crowd. Back in the ring, Ron hits a sideslam on Joel as Tenay runs down their history in the Big Two, citing their stints as The Blu Brothers, DOA & Creative Control. Joel comes off the top with a missile dropkick to buy his brother some time, but it does nothing as he’s the recipient of a Sambo Suplex(!) by Big Ron. Heavy D comes in and hits a pretty ugly spinebuster for two. Jose comes in and takes out Ron with a low blow and then the Maximo brothers get a hideous looking double dropkick on the other twin. A double team face plant leads to the SAT Superfly off the top (Moonsault by Joel/legdrop by Jose combo). It didn’t look too good though as Joel’s moonsault was quite short with only his knees landing on Harris. Ron comes back in and clotheslines Joel to the floor. Ron turns his attention to Jose with the POWER OF SUCKTITUDE~! clotheslines. Ron tosses Jose to the outside onto Joel and then Heavy D goes over the rope with a twisting plancha!! Didn’t look good though, but points for effort. Back in the ring, Joel charges the corner and ends up crotching himself Bronco Buster style onto the 2nd turnbuckle. That spot ALWAYS bugs me because if he DID hit that move....what would it do? Ron powerbombs Jose down “onto” Joel, but he barely grazed him. A NICE H-Bomb on Jose and the Harris’ get the win and the title shot next week.

My Opinion: The match was just damn sloppy and slow paced. Wrestling logic dictates that you just don’t do heel vs. heel match ups so it would appear that with a Harris win that AMW will be taking the titles back tonight, although a one week reign for the Disciples doesn’t really help anyone. ½*

We go to the back with Goldylocks and April as she confronts her about Bruce being in the shower with her last week. She denies it stating that someone in production must have been playing camera tricks because she was alone. Goldylocks: “Look, April....you make me sick”. So much for journalistic integrity. April starts crying stating that no one understands her (like ALL women) and Bruce comes down to console her and to state that he’s a proud gay man, so he wouldn’t have been in the shower with her. This prompts Bruce’s tag partner, Lenny, to come down and accuse him of being straight! That supposedly makes HIM Miss TNA and they start catfighting before Brian Lawler comes down to beat the everloving shit out of Bruce.

BG James vs. Lenny Lane

Match Background: None.

The Match: Lenny Lane comes down to Disco Inferno’s “Jive Talkin” music. A friend of mine once described Lenny Lane as the offspring of a drunken love affair between Chris Jericho and Lex Luger. BG takes THE STICK~! and says “This goes for all of you who are politically correct. This won’t be a gay bashing. I’m just about to beat the hell out of a FAGGOT!”. Well, TNA sure isn’t making any friends with GLAAD. They start the match by exchanging hammerlocks and then trading waistlocks, but Lenny likes it! Lenny goes for one of his own, but BG gets some space between them.....only for Lenny to “thrust” himself back into his backside two more times. BG elbows out and hits the mat as Lenny prances over him. Some punches by BG (his ONLY offense these days besides his finish) are cut off by a thumb to the eyes and a moonsault off the top for two. He tries to cover him again, in 69 position, but THAT only gets a two. If it were me, I’d have kicked out at one! Bruce then runs into the ring and starts wailing on Lenny! A piledriver by Bruce as BG is having fun watching this with the ref. Where’s the DQ? Bruce and Lawler start brawling in the ring as BG pins Lenny for the win. I’ll say it again....where was the DQ? Bruce blantantly assaulted someone involved in the match several times in FULL view of the ref and they just let it go.

Meanwhile, April is at ringside telling Lawler to stop hurting Bruce when Goldylocks comes down the aisle and plants a seductive kiss on her cheek and they walk up the ramp holding hands, upstetting Lawler some more. Great....a lesbian angle. This April angle does NOTHING for the product.

My Opinion: DUD. The match was mostly comedy and the finish was just insulting.

Jorge Estrada vs. The Crimson Dragon vs. AJ Styles

Match Background: This match was thrown together to determine the number one contender for the X Division next week. Styles is coming off of a failed attempt of winning the X title back last week in a three way dance after losing the title to the current champion, Jerry Lynn in Week 19. Jorge Estrada hasn’t done much to deserve this shot as he hasn’t had a consistent win streak or even a good match since going solo. This is Crimson Dragon’s first time in NWA:TNA and its heavily rumored that he is actually Chris Hamrick of ECW under the mask.

The Match: Crimson Dragon is a tall, white man wearing all red except for a white mask. He looks like Chris Hamrick, body wise. Tenay’s never heard of him so he thinks that he’s not REALLY the Crimson Dragon. The match starts with Styles and Dragon making a pact to double team Estrada and Styles immediately going against it and turning on Dragon when he has his back turned, like a GOOD heel. All three men miss elbowdrops and then all three men hit armdrags. Estrada and Dragon back body drop Styles before they go to work on each other. Styles sees and opportunity and goes for his quebrada into reverse DDT maneuver, but Dragon hits him with a NICE superkick! He then positions Estrada to be in a reverse Indian deathlock by Styles, and putting a submission hold on them both. He then clotheslines Styles down with the deathlock still on Estrada in a spot that was blatantly stolen from the first Ring of Honor show and done poorly tonight. He places Styles on the top rope and goes for what appears to be a ‘rana, but Estrada comes from behind and plants him the lightest powerbomb I’ve ever seen. Barely a sound made on the mat. He picks him back up, ala Jericho’s double powerbomb, and Styles missile dropkicks him back down for an Estrada two count broken up by Styles. Styles gets a flipping dropkick on Estrada before Dragon gets a suplex into a Stunner (!) on Styles. Tiger bomb by Estrada gets a two count on Styles. A straight up PILEDRIVER on Estrada gets a two count by Dragon. BRAINBUSTER~! by Styles on Dragon but the cover is broken by the Flying Elvis. West brings up Estrada’s battles with Ace Steel and Brian Lawler as reasons why he deserves a title shot, despite the fact that he lost all of those matches. Dragon whips Styles into the corner and does the SAME RETARDED SPOT as Joel Maximo in the tag match, charging and crotching himself between the turnbuckles. Estrada back body drops out of a Styles Clash attempt and starts laying the boots to Dragon. Styles hits a roundhouse on Estrada but the cover is broken up by Dragon. Estrada goes for a Tornado DDT on Styles, but Styles is able to position him back on the top rope where he attempts a superplex. That’s blocked, but Dragon runs up the ropes and NAILS both Estrada AND Dragon with Yakuza kicks! Dragon goes to the outside to get at Estrada, but he’s whipped into the guard rail. Funny moment as Estrada poses and says: “Thats what you get for messing with the Ki-“ *THWACK!* Styles shut him up with a kick to the chest! He sends Estrada flying to the guard rail as Dragon positions himself for an Asai moonsault on Styles. Styles clips his legs, causing Dragon to hit on the apron kidneys first for a SICK bump! Bulldog on the outside by Estrada onto Styles and he sends him into the ring for a two count. They both nail each other with a double clothesline, allowing the Crimson Dragon to come off the top rope with a NICE double guillotine legdrop! This gets a close two on Estrada and a not so close two count on Styles. I’ve noticed that about AJ in this match...he’s not putting any drama into the near falls. Estrada gets a roll up on Dragon and Northern Lights Styles for a double pin attempt! Estrada heads to the top, but he’s caught by Dragon so gives him a SUPER ‘RANA! Styles sets up Estrada for the Spiral Tap, but he’s crotched by Dragon. He goes for the Super ‘Rana, but Styles gets the Styles Clash off the 2nd rope onto Estrada!!!! He rolls Dragon off, as he could have gotten the pin on Estrada in that position and he pins both men to win the match and the X title shot next week!

My Opinion: Although a lot of the moves they did were cool, the match wasn’t paced well and some of the moves were sloppy. Hamrick wasn’t too impressive and Styles stood head above the rest in the match in terms of talent. Either we get Red-Styles II or Styles-Lynn for the 321st time this year. It’s time’s like these where I really miss guys like Low-Ki, Elix Skipper and Christopher Daniels who could all have good matches at the top of the X Division and give us some new, fresh match ups. *1/2.

We go to the back, where Goldylocks is with AMW. Harris states AMW has no plan for tonight....they just plan to beat the hell out of Father James Mitchell. Storm’s portion of the interview was pretty bad except for one part. “Belladonna, last week, when you jumped on my back, I just threw you off. This week you jump on my back, I’m putting you in the Eight Second Ride and hoping to break your neck!”. Damn man....that’s a little harsh, no?

They play a video recapping The Disciples’ Tag Title win from last week.

Americas Most Wanted vs. The Disciples of the New Church for the NWA World Tag Titles w/ Father James Mitchell and Belladonna

Match Background: In Week 18, after successfully defending their World Tag Titles against The Hot Shots and Chris and Rick Michaels, the champs, James Storm and Chris Harris were assaulted by the returning “Evil” of the Disciples of the New Church, Slash and Brian Lee. This lead to a match in Week 19 in which the Disciples were disqualified for blatantly using a spike given to him by their leader, Father James Mitchell. That same spike, along with their new valet, Belladonna, helped them defeat Harris and Storm for the World Tag Titles last week and AMW want their titles back.

The Match: AMW come to the ring first for the first time in a few weeks now. Hilarious sign in the crowd: “Who the hell is Athena?!” Ah, this week Brian Lee is known as The Bulldozer Brian Lee instead of Prime Time Brian Lee. Maybe Bulldozer is more “evil” to them. They begin brawling at ringside, going as far as fighting over the announce table. Storm gets a suplex on Slash on the outside as Harris and Lee finally come into the ring. Harris comes off the ropes only to get a chairshot from Slash just beyond the camera view. “Evil” chant as West says that for AMW to win, they’ll have to become evil themselves. Lee gets a press slam on Harris before tagging in Slash. He gets the Eye of the Hurricane for two before getting some nice chops in. Harris reverses and gives him some chops of his won but Slash comes back with a HARD clothesline. Lee comes in and both men go for flying shoulder blocks and colliding. Lee gets the tag to Slash first and he takes over on Harris again. Lee comes in and gets a big boot for a broken up two count. “We want blood” chant from the crowd that eerily reminds me of the Philly Mutants. With Slash back in, Harris is able to finally come back with a clothesline off the 2nd rope before making the tag to James “HOUSE EN FUEGO~!” Storm! Powerslam on Slash as well as some offense on Lee before making the mistake of giving them the dreaded noggin knocker. Apparently, “Evil” shares DNA with most Samoans as they don’t sell the headbutts and knock down Storm. Storm comes right back up though and takes Lee out before hitting his Reverse Tornado DDT for two! Lee comes back in and Storm sets Lee up for the Veg-O-Matic, but before Harris can come off with the legdrop, he’s crotched by Slash. In a move that just boggles the mind, Slash sets Harris up for a superplex and Storm puts Slash on his shoulders for a stacked suplex! This causes MORE damage to your partner, Storm! Harris ends up being suplexed to the other side of the damn ring! Lee puts Harris on his shoulders to set up a Slash missile dropkick, but Storm takes care of Slash and Harris gets a victory roll for two! FJM gets on the apron to distract the official and Harris shoves Lee into a Storm chairshot! A spear by Harris gets TWO! FJM gives Lee the spike and he goes for it on Harris but eats a Storm superkick instead! Storm with the spike now and he comes off the ropes with it for the DQ! Belladonna gets in the ring and hops onto Storm’s back, but he just shoves her off again. He busts up Lee with the spike before Belladonna jumps on his back again.....EIGHT SECOND RIDE~! by Storm! Harris drives the spike into Lee, but the ref takes it away from him. Harris picks up the ref....CATATONIC~! and a DAMN good one on the ref! Quite possibly the best one he’s done and the crowd is HOT! Harris and Storm go after FJM who crawls into the ring! They have a chair, but security runs in to get their BRAINS smashed in by Harris and Storm! FJM and his Disciples get away.

My Opinion: I’m really starting to dig AMW. The crowd originally sided with the “cool” Disciples chanting “evil” and “Kill the Cowboy” several times in the match, but were popping hard for Harris and Storm going buck wild. Both men have some awesome finishers. This week’s match wasn’t nearly as good as the match from last week (which I admit, I underrated as a brawl) but it was still exciting. *1/2.

We go to an Amazing Red video package before we go to a sit down interview between Tenay and Red. After this interview, you’d understand why the guy barely ever talks on camera. A lot of stammering and poor grammar....you can just TELL that the guy is extremely nervous talking. He does name Rey Mysterio, Jr. as one of his inspirations which is ironic as he stole Code Red from him a few weeks ago on the Heat before Unforgiven. Getting good answers from Red is like pulling teeth as he doesn’t really elaborate on anything.

When we go back to West and Tenay, even West has to make excuses for him. West: “Mike, he maybe so soft spoken, but his actions are so loud in the ring”. Very solid cover, Mr. West. Color me impressed.

We then go to Jerry Lynn with Goldylocks talking about tonight’s title defense against Red.

Red vs. Jerry Lynn for the NWA X Division Championship:

Match Background: This is Red’s second X Division title shot in NWA:TNA, the first being against the former champion AJ Styles in a ***3/4 match in Week 18. This is Jerry Lynn’s first one on one title defense since winning the title for a second time. These men have never faced each other in the ring.

The Match: Red brings back the COVERALLS~!, but unfortunately, he doesn’t wrestle with them on. The match starts with a roll up by Red and an attempt at a Magistral cradle countered beautifully by Lynn. They go for tons of moves, but each is countered quickly and we hit the Indy Applause Stance. Irish whip sequence ends with a Lynn monkey flip but Red lands on his feet. Hiptoss attempt by Lynn but Red twists out and lands on his feet and gets one himself! West then corrects last week’s mistake of stating that there were only three X Division champs, acknowledging it and naming all of the champs correctly this week. He’s really improving weekly. After a series of reversals and counters, Red gets a flying head scissors but Lynn comes back with a tilt a while backbreaker for two. Lynn gets a surfboard variation on Red before nailing an elbowdrop. Red comes back with another head scissors and sends Lynn to the outside. He comes off the apron with a somersault but Lynn CATCHES him and drives him flying upside down into the apron! Gourdbuster by Lynn gets a two, followed by a bow and arrow and he tries to ground Lynn. Red tries to come back with a roll up but eats a Lynn lariat. Red comes back with the Liu Kang Bicycle Kick to the back! Lynn goes to the outside, near one of the corners when Red goes FLYING with a Somersault Tope Con Hilo onto Lynn, almost hitting the ring post!! “Let’s Go Red” chant by the crowd. Back in the ring, he places Lynn on the ropes and hits Rey Mysterio’s 619. Tenay actually says that imitation is the highest form of flattery as he dubs his the 718, the areacode for his home town of Brooklyn, NY. Hey, that’s The Bronx’s areacode too, you know. It’s only fair that Red stole it.....Rey stole Code Red! Red goes for a springboard ‘rana, but Lynn tries to counter into a powerbomb. That’s countered by Red into....CODE RED~! for two! Lynn in the corner now, but Red goes charging in and eats an elbow. Lynn climbs to the top but gets caught right ON THE TOP OF THE HEAD with a spinning roundhouse! Red goes for a ‘rana, but Lynn rolls through for a two count! Great build off of previous matches as AJ defeated Red that way three weeks ago in Red’s first X title shot! I’m adding ¼* just for that! Lynn goes for the cradle piledriver but Red rolls through. He attempts Code Red again but Lynn blocks it and hits an Alabama Slam! It looked like he was dropped on his head! Lynn sets Red up on the top, but gets shoved off. Red gets his swinging DDT for two! He goes for the InfraRed but Lynn blocks him and tries to powerbomb him down. Red rolls through with a rana and gets a VERY close two count! Red goes up top, but Lynn cuts him off....and hits the CRADLE PILEDRIVER~! OFF THE 2ND ROPE! RED IS DEAD! He took an AMAZING bump! Lynn retains the title! After the match, Lynn and Red shake hands in a show of sportmanship.

My Opinion: Very solid match although Lynn couldn’t go toe to toe with Red in terms of speed or the high flying maneuvers. The finish was VERY cool and I have no clue how Red wasn’t hurt by that. Eventually Red will win the title, but it seems that they are going to make it a long journey for the youngster from Brooklyn. **3/4. Next up, Lynn vs. Styles again. To be honest....I’m sick of it. They’ve had they’re blow off which was over due to begin with and now we’ll have to go through it all over again except with Styles as the challenger.

Don West Heart Attack Time Part Two as he informs us that The Disciples of the New Church will take on Hennig and Syxx-Pac for the NWA Tag Titles while his voice cracks. Styles vs. Lynn VII (I think). Bruce vs. Brian Lawler. Ugh. They also speculate about Mr. Wrestling III’s title shot which he never accepted.

Wow, its time for the main event? Its only 9:25. Looks like they are giving this one a lot of time.

Video package on both competitors.

Jeff Jarrett vs. The Truth for the NWA World Title:

Match Background: This match has been built up over the past 5 months. Ever since the first week of NWA:TNA back in June, Jeff Jarrett has made it known that all he’s wanted is an NWA World title shot. He was deprived of title shots by NWA Committee members Bob Armstrong and Bill Behrens during the first few weeks of the promotion due to unruly conduct. During this time, Ron “The Truth” Killings was shedding his former K-Kwik image and slowly developing into a big time player in TNA. He claimed that politics and racism held him down and after pleading with NWA Committee member Ricky “The Dragon” Steamboat, he received his title shot in Week 8 against then champion Ken Shamrock. The Truth won the title, becoming the first black NWA champion. Allies in the first few weeks, Jarrett now made it known that he wanted a shot at The Truth for his title. Claiming reverse discrimination, he pleaded to Ricky Steamboat for a title shot and he gave him one....at the tag titles with The Truth as his partner. They never won the tag titles, but did team together a few times to take on several combinations of BG James, Scott Hall, Curt Hennig and Syxx-Pac, who all wanted shots at The Truth’s title as well. In the latter weeks, The Truth was attacked several times by a masked man dressed all in white calling himself Mr. Wrestling III. Increasingly paranoid, The Truth issued at open challenge to this man, despite the rumors that it was his ally, Jeff Jarrett, under the mask. In Week 19, The Truth issued a challenge to Mr. Wrestling III for a World title shot as long as he signed the contract. That same week, a tournament began to determine the number one contender for the World Title. When Mike Tenay called out Mr. Wrestling III to sign the contract, Jeff Jarrett appeared and ripped it up, not allowing anyone to leapfrog him for what he felt would be his eventual title shot after winning the tournament and basically confirming that he is not the masked man. Indeed, Jarrett did win the tournament last week defeating rival BG James in the finals and finally earning a World Title shot tonight.

The Match: NWA:TNA is doing all they can to give this match a big time main event feel to it. Extended entrances, boxing style ring introductions listing all titles won, referee introduction and even referee instructions with Jeremy Borash doing his best Michael Buffer impression. It all screams HBO boxing main event. Hell, I’m getting goosebumps just listening to all of this. The referee’s instruction reiterate the new rules of DQ’s and count outs allowing a title switch to remind everyone at home. The bell finally rings as the fans are divided, some chanting “Truth” and some chanting “Double J”. First lock up ends up with a Truth shoulder tackle and a PELVIC THRUST TAUNT~! to Jarrett. Second lock up leads to a Truth dropkick as the fans chant “Truth!”. Third lock up leads to a Truth forearm smash and Jeff bails to the outside to regroup. “Jarrett” chant...followed by a “Truth” chant! Back in the ring, Killings starts shoving Jarrett a few times with JJ not retaliating until about the third shove and then UNLEASHING a right hand and a gorgeous dropkick! He drives his weight onto The Truth lying on the ropes and then STRUTS~! to a big pop! JJ goes for a waistlock, but Truth reverses and hits a low blow. Looked like it was in full view of the referee, but he probably will let it slide due to the DQ rules. “Truth” chant. Flurry of right hands by Killings before hitting a Downward Spiral. Jarrett whipped into the corner, tries a floatover but gets caught into the PELVIC THRUST POWERSLAM! Truth with some right hands, but JJ counters with right hands of his own and the crowd is divided! Truth ducks a clothesline with a split and hits the spinning scissors kick! “Truth” chant! A Jarrett kick is caught, enziguiri ducked and Truth puts on the Figure Four! He’s almost pinned on the move as he’s trying to fight out the pain. Jarrett turns it over! “Double J” chant! He’s able to break free but a Truth clothesline attempt is ducked by Jarrett who hits a belly to back! Both men are down! “Go Jeff Go” chant! Both men are up but JJ is in control with right hands! A Truth ‘rana attempt is turned into a powerbomb by Jarrett for two! 10 count in the corner but the ref is hit by a Jarrett elbow. Truth brings a chair into the ring...but Jarrett uses it on Killings! ONE....TWO....NO! “Stroke” chant by the crowd as Jeff plays up the crowd but Killings blocks it and goes for the Truth or Consequences (Diamond Cutter)! He’s shoved off and Jarrett attempts a suplex but its reversed into The True Conviction (sit out forward suplex)! ONE...TWO...Foot on the rope! Killings heads to the top, but Jarrett crotches him and Truth falls to the mat! Jarrett gets The Stroke! ONE.....TWO.....NO! Both men brawl on the outside, where he’s rammed into the ring post. Jarrett is busted WIDE open! Killings is just NAILING Jarrett in the head with awesome right hands! They begin brawling in the crowd as Jarrett comes back with a chair shot to the back! They brawl to the back some more where Killings lays Jarrett on a table....and he comes off the balcony with a splash through the table! “Truth”chant. Jarrett recovers and they come back into the ring as they were almost counted out! Truth is just taking advantage of Jarrett physicially in the ring, attacking the wound! Jarrett fights back! Truth goes for a forearm, but the ref is bumped to the outside! Both men come off the ropes and collide with a headbutt, both men are down! Mr. Wrestling III (a much TALLER Mr. Wrestling III) comes into the ring with a WCW Slap Nuts guitar! He contemplates hitting The Truth....then Jarrett....then nails The Truth! Jarrett never saw it, but he covers The Truth.....ONE....TWO....THREE! Jeff Jarrett is your NEW NWA World Champion!

Mr. Wrestling III then comes into the ring applauding Jarrett. He backs into him...and he removes his mask to reveal.....VINCE RUSSO! The announcers have a collective heart attack as they go off the air!

My Opinion: What a match! I was hoping that The Truth would be able to deliver in the ring and he sure did tonight. This was the best laid out heavyweight match in TNA since its inception and was on its way to be even better before the finish. The crowd brawling was the only thing I was down on as the crowd was hot, they false finishes were great and both men were truly put over with their performances in the ring. The match told a great story and I’m happy that NWA gave them 20-25 minutes to tell it. ***1/2.

As for the angle to end the show, it looks like the NWA worked the Internet! With all of the reports stating that Vince Russo was out as head booker, it was pretty much assumed that he would no longer be with the company. I'll admit, I’m very intrigued as to where this is going, but it seems as if he nailed The Truth to put the title on Jarrett to show his loyalty to the man that stuck by him in WCW and in the NWA.

Overall: Tonight was a decent show, made by the last two matches. Tonight was a first as the heavy’s had a better match than the X division. The tag division is improving but the X division of all things seems to be floundering with the same tired feud and no new blood in sight. Where does The Truth go from here? Where does Jarrett? Where does Russo fit into it all? Will Mike Sanders EVER debut?

‘Til next week,

The Dames, Damian Gonzalez

Any questions, comments, hate mail, fan mail, marriage proposals, job offers, whatever.....send it all to [email protected]

Sign in to follow this