TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest evilhomer

Does this drive you nuts too?

Guest evilhomer

Hockey is a very difficult game to officiate. Call everything and you've got a whistle every 5 seconds, let them play and you've got a free for all backyard rugby game on ice. So I don't want to turn this into a debate onto the quality of referees.

What I'm talking about is when an opposing player is skating past a goalie on the forecheck and the goalie trips him up or lifts his stick up into his face. This is exactly the kind of obstruction that the NHL is supposedly cracking down on - an uninvolved player impeding an attacking player, but it is never fucking called. This is too say nothing of the additional danger of a stick being shoved in the face of a player who is generally being caught completely unaware. A player who does anything like this goes straight to the box for at least a duece, but the referee always turns a blind eye to the goalie whose doing it right in front of them. I'm all for protecting goalies, any player running a screen during the power play has an open bullseye on his back, running a goalie should be five and a game along with getting the shit beaten out of you, but the chickenshit nature of this goalie interference, along with the fact that it's never called drives me crazy whenever I see it.