TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Yuna_Firerose

"Best of 2002" Match Listings

Credit: Lords of pain.net

On Monday, due to it being a day before New Year's Eve, the WWE will be showing a Best of WWE 2002 special in place of Raw. The offical matches that will be shown on the special as of right now are:

The Rock vs. "Hollywood" Hulk Hogan from Wrestlemania 18

Kurt Angle vs. Edge from Backlash 2002

Bubba Ray & Spike Dudley vs. Jeff Hardy & RVD vs. "Y2J" Chris Jericho & Christian vs. Kane in TLC 4 from the October 7th edition of Raw

Edge vs. Eddie Guerrero in a ladder match from the September 26th edition of Smackdown

The Undertaker vs. Jeff Hardy in a ladder match for the WWE Undisputed Championship from the July 1st edition of Raw

Rey Mysterio Jr. vs. Kurt Angle from Summerslam

"The Heartbreak Kid" Shawn Michaels vs. Triple H in a street fight from Summerslam

The Rock vs. Brock Lesnar for the WWE Undisputed Championship from Summerslam

Credit: WWE.com

Backlash, WX8, Summerslam (3matches).....shows ya right there what kind of year WWE has had in terms of PPVs.

Rey vs Kurt........HHH vs HBK......Rock vs Brock......

Anyone see a pattern in those Summerslam matches? Hmmmmm.....could it be actual BUILDUP?! Dude, what were the writers NOT smoking when they made ths SSlam card?!

Guest HartFan86

The Undertaker vs. Jeff Hardy in a ladder match for the WWE Undisputed Championship from the July 1st edition of Raw

Only thing I haven't seen in it's full...but this show looks boooring.

That BETTER not be it....they're forgetting the Angle/Benoit match from Unforgiven, the Benoit/Angle vs. Rey/Edge Tag title finals and their 2 out of 3 falls rematch on Smackdown.

What the FUCK is the Undertaker/Jeff Hardy ladder match doing there? I guess its this years equivalent of the "lingerie match" between Torrie and Stacy that was number FIVE last year.

Dames

Guest The Superstar

How could they forget ANY of the Smackdown! Tag Team matches? Are they out of their mind?

Guest chirs3

The Rock vs. "Hollywood" Hulk Hogan from Wrestlemania 18 - Yes.

Kurt Angle vs. Edge from Backlash 2002 - Yes.

Bubba Ray & Spike Dudley vs. Jeff Hardy & RVD vs. "Y2J" Chris Jericho & Christian vs. Kane in TLC 4 from the October 7th edition of Raw - No.

Edge vs. Eddie Guerrero in a ladder match from the September 26th edition of Smackdown - Yes, and it wasn't a ladder match.

The Undertaker vs. Jeff Hardy in a ladder match for the WWE Undisputed Championship from the July 1st edition of Raw - Better than most people gave it credit for, but still... No.

Rey Mysterio Jr. vs. Kurt Angle from Summerslam - Fun, but no.

"The Heartbreak Kid" Shawn Michaels vs. Triple H in a street fight from Summerslam - Yes.

The Rock vs. Brock Lesnar for the WWE Undisputed Championship from Summerslam - In the middle, leaning towards No.

I think I can miss this show...

Guest CanadianChick

Why are they showing TLC4 and Jeff Hardy vs. Undertaker? If they want to have a gimmick match, put RVD vs. Eddy Ladder Match on there. That match rocked.

Guest chirs3
Why are they showing TLC4 and Jeff Hardy vs. Undertaker? If they want to have a gimmick match, put RVD vs. Eddy Ladder Match on there. That match rocked.

Damn straight. TLC4 I can sort of somewhat see the logic behind it being here (even though it shouldn't be), but there's no excuse for Hardy/Taker when Eddie/RVD so totally outdid it.

That's the official list SO FAR, to my knowledge.

Besides that, I don't think anyone should complain.....just be glad WE got to see those awesome matches, even if they don't make the VHS....perhaps the DVD?

Guest AndrewTS

They ARE going to do these full length, aren't they? A clipfest would suck, even if they showed lots of sick bumps.

And HHH/HBK was awesome, but way too long, I wouldn't mind if they clipped that one a little.

Guest chirs3

Didn't they do a little clip-lite last year? Started five minutes into the match, or played five minutes then cut further along?

I hope these are unedited...

Guest Slapnuts00

Yeah that list in weak. Angle vs. Rey and Brock vs. Rock and Hardy vs. Taker are not neccesarry. Wayyy too much Summerslam. Put in Benoit vs. Angle, the No Mercy Tag Match and the Eddy/RVD ladder match and they'll be on to something...

Guest CanadianChick

I hope they do show the matches in full length, but if they don't its not the end of the world. I have all my favorite matches from this year on a "best of" tape.

Guest AndrewTS
Didn't they do a little clip-lite last year? Started five minutes into the match, or played five minutes then cut further along?

I hope these are unedited...

Yeah, I got excited about it and got pissed off when they were clipped.

Why not Benoit/Angle vs. Eddy/Chavo? The four best workers on SD and likely in the entire WWE all at their best, and NOT on a best of show? Pfft...

Guest CanadianChick
my favorite matches from this year on a "best of" tape.

Just ONE tape?! LOL, I have 10 full tapes!

Whoops. Forgot to add the "s" to tapes. God, I have *5* 6 hour tapes of my favorite matches overall and about a tape and a bit of this year.

Guest Slapnuts00

How do you guys do that? Do you just sit there and record and tape over as the show goes on?

I tape the show all the time and if there is a really good match or a big segment then I'll save the show. But it's kinda stupid since I have 2 hours of footage for only 20 minutes or so that I want.

Guest AndrewTS
How do you guys do that? Do you just sit there and record and tape over as the show goes on?

I tape the show all the time and if there is a really good match or a big segment then I'll save the show. But it's kinda stupid since I have 2 hours of footage for only 20 minutes or so that I want.

They obviously don't timer record, they start recording when a match they know will rock comes on and stops the tape when it's over. Thus, no commercials and no crap.

Guest CanadianChick

I have 2 VCRs so I can tape a tape. This way, I don't have to looks through a billion tapes to find that an entertaining match; I have them all in the tapes.

Guest JHawk

There is no possible way that these matches are uncut. It's still just a two hour show right? A lot of those were in the 15-20 minute range.

As far as the matches themselves:

The Rock vs. "Hollywood" Hulk Hogan from Wrestlemania 18

The match wasn't that good, but for crowd reaction and being memorable, I can buy it.

Kurt Angle vs. Edge from Backlash 2002

I haven't seen it, but I would have prefered their cage match if you have to use that series

Bubba Ray & Spike Dudley vs. Jeff Hardy & RVD vs. "Y2J" Chris Jericho & Christian vs. Kane in TLC 4 from the October 7th edition of Raw

OK match that will only be remembered for the postmatch angle (which we DON'T need reminded of).

Edge vs. Eddie Guerrero in a ladder match from the September 26th edition of Smackdown

Note: Just because there's a ladder involved does NOT mean it's automatically a "ladder match". Still, excellent match that should be there.

I called it the worst ladder match ever in my review of that show and I stand by that. A 14-minute squash? Please.

Rey Mysterio Jr. vs. Kurt Angle from Summerslam

Very good and short enough to be given the full treatment.

"The Heartbreak Kid" Shawn Michaels vs. Triple H in a street fight from Summerslam

Also good provided they clip the hell out of Hunter's 15 minutes of offense.

The Rock vs. Brock Lesnar for the WWE Undisputed Championship from Summerslam

Any bets on whether any of the "Rocky sucks" chants make it or not? Fairly good match.

Honorable ones that aren't there: The RVD-Eddy ladder match, anything the SmackDown 6 did against each other that isn't there, RVD-Jericho from KOR (sooooo underrated), RVD-Benoit...um...well, we've more than covered it, I think.

Guest Slapnuts00

Im suprised they aren't showing the Brock/Taker hell in the cell, or the Elimination Chamber. Rock/Jericho from Royal Rumble was real good too. Last year they had the top 10 matches, and there are only 8 listed here, so who knows...

They obviously don't timer record, they start recording when a match they know will rock comes on and stops the tape when it's over. Thus, no commercials and no crap.  

Slapnuts00 Posted on Dec 26 2002, 11:41 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I'm able to, I just record while the show goes on (which can often lead to some problems...but they are minor). I also have two VCRs, so I can edit my tapes...which I have started to do.

Let's see....in total I have 11 tapes starting at the Rumble ("Greatest Moments"), 3 PPV tapes (I rent old PPVs and get what I want from them) and a "Documents" tape.....On the Documents tape, I tape all the music videos on the PPVs, Anthology cuts, the "Never Gonna Stop" music vid from Smackdown: SYM.....stuff like that.

Guest Slapnuts00

I'll tell you, we can question your judgement and knowledge of wrestling but there is no questioning that you are a truly dedicated fan.

I'll tell you, we can question your judgement and knowledge of wrestling but there is no questioning that you are a truly dedicated fan.

Considering I was "getting on your nerves" earlier in the day, I'm thankful for the compliment. As for being dedicated? Well.... I'm not just dedicated, I obsess over it. I do that with everything I like....everything from Tim Curry to Kevin J. O'Connor.....

Guest Slapnuts00

yeah you're definitely a big fan. But saying things like Austin has never been interesting or not caring about Bret or Davey Boy and liking Xpac and Steven Richards because they look hot in short shorts will get on some nerves though...

Guest Mole
Anyone see a pattern in those Summerslam matches? Hmmmmm.....could it be actual BUILDUP?! Dude, what were the writers NOT smoking when they made ths SSlam card?!

Well, they did something called long term planning. They knew what they were going to with SummerSlam before the KOTR.

The Rock vs. "Hollywood" Hulk Hogan from Wrestlemania 18 - Yes

Kurt Angle vs. Edge from Backlash 2002 - Yes

Bubba Ray & Spike Dudley vs. Jeff Hardy & RVD vs. "Y2J" Chris Jericho & Christian vs. Kane in TLC 4 from the October 7th edition of Raw - Ok...

Edge vs. Eddie Guerrero in a ladder match from the September 26th edition of Smackdown - Yes

The Undertaker vs. Jeff Hardy in a ladder match for the WWE Undisputed Championship from the July 1st edition of Raw - No

Rey Mysterio Jr. vs. Kurt Angle from Summerslam - Yes

"The Heartbreak Kid" Shawn Michaels vs. Triple H in a street fight from Summerslam - Yes

The Rock vs. Brock Lesnar for the WWE Undisputed Championship from Summerslam - Yes

Guest MillenniumMan831

Only thing I haven't seen in it's full...but this show looks boooring.

I'm still peeved that Vince didn't give Jeff Hardy the title if for one night only. He could of dropped it on Smackdown to Kurt Angle. At the next ppv (Vengeance), the title was going to Rock anyways. 28 years to jobbing to UT, and THIS was the payoff?!?!? The match was such a squash, I was SURE Hardy was going to pull out the victory in the end.

Granted, I'm no Jeff hardy mark, but GEEZ even Maven got a token pinfall victory over Taker.

It would have given viewers the impression that ANYTHING can happen on Raw; I guess that's not the message they wanted to send. Oh well.

Guest MillenniumMan831
Honorable ones that aren't there: The RVD-Eddy ladder match, anything the SmackDown 6 did against each other that isn't there, RVD-Jericho from KOR (sooooo underrated), RVD-Benoit...um...well, we've more than covered it, I think.

That KOR match is definitely not underrated by Jericho, I tell ya.

yeah you're definitely a big fan. But saying things like Austin has never been interesting or not caring about Bret or Davey Boy and liking Xpac and Steven Richards because they look hot in short shorts will get on some nerves though...

That's not the only reason I like Stevie or Seanny (X-Pac). X-Pac is a good wrestler from what I've seen. Plus, he can get a crowd going.....I'm not talking about now, where the crowd chants "X-Pac sucks" out of habit. I remember he had a match against D'Lo on a PPV....the crowd was chanting D'LO SUCKS!! I was pleasantly surprised to see Seanny NOT getting booed....

As for Stevie? Besides looking hot, I genuinely do like his character. I listed my reasons for being a Stevie mark in another thread...it was titled something like "Say something positive about these guys"....you know which one I mean?

Guest deadbeater

You know I want to splice Molly/Jaqueline's six matches into one long one. That would be some match.

Guest CanadianChick

here's confirmation of the matches, courtesy wwe.com:

The last RAW of 2002 is actually a joint production of RAW and SmackDown!, featuring the best matches from both those shows, as well as from WWE pay-per-views, throughout the year! Catch it this Monday night on the new TNN at 9/8 CT.

Who could forget The Rock battling Hollywood Hulk Hogan at WrestleMania X8? Relive "Icon vs. Icon" this Monday night!

You'll also see another unforgettable battle from the following month's pay-per-view, Backlash, when Kurt Angle stepped into the ring against Edge.

The show will also feature arguably the greatest matches of 2002 from RAW (TLC IV from Oct. 7 in Las Vegas) and SmackDown! (the Ladder Match between Edge vs. Eddie Guerrero from Sept. 26 in San Diego). Undertaker vs. Jeff Hardy in a Ladder Match on the July 1 episode of RAW from Manchester, N.H., was also a match-of-the-year candidate, and you'll see that as well.

This year's SummerSlam was possibly the greatest in the entire history of the August pay-per-view tradition. We've got three of the outstanding matches from the event: Rey Mysterio vs. Kurt Angle, Triple H vs. Shawn Michaels in a Street Fight, and The Rock vs. Brock Lesnar for the WWE Championship.

Don't miss RAW when it kicks off at 9/8 CT on the new TNN!

Credit: wwe.com

So Rock vs. Hogan, Angle vs. Edge (Backlash), TLC 4, Jeff vs. Taker(which apparently is a MOTYC according to wwe.com), Rey vs. Angle, HHH vs. Shawn and Rock vs Lesner. So it looks like there will only be 7 matches.