TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Black Tiger

"Closet favorites"

Guest Jack Tunney
The Sundays

Texas

Not exactly what a 19 year old American boy should be listening too.

Are we talking Sharleen Spiteri- Texas here? Didn't realise they were known in America. If so ain't nothin' wrong with them. If not, disregard this post entirely.

If you mean the Scottish band with the song "Say What You Want" then yes.

Guest the_Staunton

80s music: The Go's Go's, Sabrina and Sinitta

Just that dated production is funky!

Guest saturnmark4life

I don't rate texas highly at all, but I guess 'halo' was bordering on alright. God I can't believe I said that.

Guest Respect The 'Taker
I didn't really dig Holy Wood either, and the reason was it felt like a rehash of Antichrist Superstar. It was like his glam phase failed, so he just fell back on what he already had success with. One of the things I liked about Manson was how each album had a very different feel to it, and Holy Wood was the first to break that.

Well Manson did state prior to the release of Holy Wood that it was an album that not so much was something entirely new, but something that would tie the story of AntiChrist & Omega (Mechanical Animals) together and clean the loose ends that were present.

Personally i've never encountered a more deep album. Manson's song writing ability is very under-rated, as is his talent to create amazing music.

UYI - Controversial

Guest IDrinkRatsMilk

I agree he's probably under-rated as a song writer. The problem was most people probably didn't care about the concept of his albums, they just wanted some shit to piss their parents off. Antichrist pushed the Satan buttons, Mechanical Animals pushed the drugs and gay buttons. By the time Holy Wood rolled around, the shock had worn off.

Guest Respect The 'Taker
I agree he's probably under-rated as a song writer. The problem was most people probably didn't care about the concept of his albums, they just wanted some shit to piss their parents off. Antichrist pushed the Satan buttons, Mechanical Animals pushed the drugs and gay buttons. By the time Holy Wood rolled around, the shock had worn off.

It's such a pity it's the case...

I really take a rough time on occasions when supporting Marilyn Manson, because the masses of half-witted narcotic supporters out there that call themselves 'Manson fans' just to shit society off give the whole idea a black name.

Sure, Manson isn't exactly the most politically correct individual, but after watching countless interviews with the man, plus being a constant follower of his music, i've discovered he is one of the finest intellectuals i've come across. A very witty and smart human being.

UYI - Fuck the church!

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Well, I'll end up giving the new one a listen. I might end up giving Holy Wood another spin just for shits. I don't remember liking it at all.

Guest godthedog
Personally i've never encountered a more deep album.

'abbey road'.

of course, i really have no room to say this since i haven't heard 'holy wood' all the way through, but i thought i'd still throw that out there.

Guest Respect The 'Taker

Well i cannot debate that either, as i've never heard Abbey Road in its entirity.

However im sure The Beatles blow Manson out of the water, and Manson would be the first to admit that, being a big Lennon fan himself.

UYI

Guest Agent of Oblivion

I'm listening to Holy Wood right now, actually. Nothing's stood out to me so far other than Coma Black, which struck me as decent.

Guest goodhelmet

air supply's greatest hits. i'm not joking either. i lost my virginity to that album.

Guest Incandenza

There was no music playing when I lost my virginity. I'm often tempted to say there was, just for the faux nostalgia.

Guest Respect The 'Taker
I'm listening to Holy Wood right now, actually. Nothing's stood out to me so far other than Coma Black, which struck me as decent.

Count to Six and Die? If you understand the meaning behind, and what is actually happening during the song, then you'll either be over-come my Manson's utter genius or scared shitless at how surreal an atomosphere he can create with a basic sound.

You also have to understand the story of AntiChrist, Omega & Mercury to put the whole thing into perspective. And i wouldnt expect anyone but a big MM fan to get involved in that.

Maybe that is why i appreciate his work more, because Manson was the first REAL band i associated myself with back in '96.

UYI

Guest Mole

Michelle Branch

She's hot, she can sing, and I think she writes all her own music. I respect that, and I like her.

I just bought the new Santana CD just because of the song she is on. I like that song, it's good. So don't flame me.

Mole

Guest CoreyLazarus416

UYI, please explain the story between the 3 albums. I used to know it. Isn't it supposed to go in this order:

Mechanical Animals

Holy Wood

Antichrist Superstar

Like, a glam rocker (Omega) sings his songs, and lives in his own world of drugs. He then gets called by the world and chewed up and spit out by fame, and then becomes a mass form of hatred. That's what I THINK I remember about the story...

Guest Respect The 'Taker
UYI, please explain the story between the 3 albums. I used to know it. Isn't it supposed to go in this order:

Mechanical Animals

Holy Wood

Antichrist Superstar

Like, a glam rocker (Omega) sings his songs, and lives in his own world of drugs. He then gets called by the world and chewed up and spit out by fame, and then becomes a mass form of hatred. That's what I THINK I remember about the story...

You've got the right idea...but not in the correct order.

Firstly AntiChrist came first - This is a 'birth' style album. If you listen into the lyrics most of the songs are about 'worms get their wings' etc. Which is a crypic way of basically describing his re-emergence (after his previous two albums where he was just developing, hence the 'worm' aspect of it all) into the world, where he is the same, yet totally different. It is also a very brutal description of the destructive nature of his new persona - a persona that has no regard for love or religion, one full of hate and ready to unleash it upon the world.

Omega was next, where Manson openly, and for the first time, describes his feelings on love, drugs and fame. The AntiChrist created in the previous album had become a star, however with fame, comes a price, and that price led to a life of drugs and media exploitation. Manson uses Space (as in Outer Space) as a means of his only way to escape the life his creation has become trapped in. He also touches on the pain of love, which was probably sparked from his then-girlfriend, Rose McGowan.

After Omega came Mercury, which was the album that decided the fate of the AntiChrist charecter. In this album, Manson uses moments from history to touch on the life he's lived - such as the JFK assasination, the killing of John Lennon and the current state of America and how it has become infected with crime and politics. The album is broken up into several stages. The first is where Manson lashes out, almost in a mocking fashion, towards the state of the world, next he tones down the brutality and ups the grusome truth factor and depicts how horrible things have become everywhere. This all climaxes in 'Count to Six & Die' which symbolises the death of his charecter. If you've heard the song, you'll know it's made with the sound of a revolver barrel clicking in and out. 'Count to six & die' is really just a way of saying, if you don't mind me putting this bluntly, place a bullet in the sixth round and start at number one - hence by the time you reach six, you die.

The song ends with 5 clicks then is abruptly ended, hence marking the death of the AntiChrist and the conclusion of Manson's ingenius, if not scary and brutally true, tale.

His upcoming album, The Golden Age of Grotesque is a WHOLE new world worth of Manson material, with a new direction and an entirely unique concept, affiliated in no way to his previous 3 master pieces.

How i helped!

UYI

Guest CoreyLazarus416

Coulda sworn Manson said Antichrist was part 2, Mechanical was the beginning, and Holy Wood was the end...

Guest notJames
I'm gonna add guttermouth (pre-gusto) to my list.

What's wrong with Guttermouth? They put on a great live show and the guys in the band are real down-to-earth...

... at least they did back in '94. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to put some Grecian Formula in my mohawk...

;)