TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest whatitistoburn

Best single issue

Guest gthureson

That I like to go back and read over and over?

Forget the issue number, but one of the 'Hellstorm''s that Ellis wrote.  Where he has to go and excorcise an angel from some Satan worshippers.

Guest MaskedDanger

Can't believe I didn't jump on this topic sooner. Huh...

Anyway, I have three issues that just messed me up after reading them and *surprise* all three were written by that British comic god, Alan Moore. I know, I'm original.

Two of them come from the Watchmen mini-series. The first is Chapter VI, the one where Dr. Manhattan is on Mars contemplating his life. The way Moore handles Manhattan's slanted view on time (to say the least) is fucking great. Moore practically writes in a knot in that chapter. Has to be read to be appreciated.

The second is Chapter VI, which is Rorschach's "origin story." Just great, visceral storytelling which takes someone so seemingly inhumane and monstrous and makes him completely, frighteningly human.

The last one is an issue of From Hell where one of the main characters dies. I don't want to reveal too much, lest I spoil it for someone else, that issue more or less blows away everything else I've read in the comics medium.

I come back to each of those issues again and again. Each of them is low on action and trippy to the extreme. Alan Moore's so good it makes me not even want to get out of bed in the morning.

Guest teke184

Any single issue of The Watchmen would be high on my list, but my other choice would be Rai #0, which was the blueprint that was used for much of the Valiant Comics universe until it was bought out by Acclaim.    

That's quite an accomplishment for one issue considering that Valiant had books based in two time periods: the present (1990's) and the year 4000.

Guest Annoyed Grunt

I personally like the issue of Hellblazer entitled "forty".  I think it was around issue #65 or so.  It centers around John's 40th birthday and the wildest damn party you'll ever see.