TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest hardyz1

2003 Grammy nominations

Guest subliminal_animal

I would say Jay-Z is extremely popular, but probably not insanely so. Assuming that ain't a joke, course.

Shit, I swear Craig David's first album has been out since early 2000 and he's still getting nominated for it.

I think it's only for when the song came out in the U.S. And "Born to Do It" ... classy guy.

Field 27 - Classical

Category 102 -  Best Classical Crossover Album

(Award to the Artist(s) and/or to the Conductor.)

• Franzetti: Poeta De Arrabal - Tango Ballet (Plaza Oscura; Virgilio, Etc.)

Allison Brewster Franzetti, piano & Carlos Franzetti, keyboards/conductor (Néstor Marconi, bandoneon; Buenos Aires Tango Orch.)

[Amapola Records]

• LAGQ Latin (Fragile; Hasta Alicia Baila; La Trampa, Etc.)

Los Angeles Guitar Quartet

[Telarc Digital]

• The Noel Coward Songbook (Parisian Pierrot; World Weary, Etc.)

Ian Bostridge, tenor (Sophie Daneman, soprano; Jeffrey Tate, piano)

[EMI Classics]

• Nuevo (El Sinaloense; Mini Skirt; Perfidia, Etc.)

Kronos Quartet

[Nonesuch Records]

• Previn Conducts Korngold (Sea Hawk; Captain Blood, Etc.)

André Previn, conductor (London Sym. Orch.)

[Deutsche Grammophon]

• Virtuosi (Ravel, Barber, Rachmaninoff, Etc.)

Gary Burton, vibraphone & Makoto Ozone, piano

[Concord Jazz]

What the fuck are the Los Angeles Guitar Quartet still doing getting nominated, shittier album after motherfucking shitty album? I guess you have to cater to the masses and the major labels and their hitmakers, huh, Grammy voters? At least the Kronos Quartet got the nod, which they deserve, but less than guys like Ivan Tolerblienko and Lorenzo Infantino, who were again looked over. And I can't believe they didn't forego the rule about any potential nominees having an album issued in the year to suck Andrea Bocelli's dick some more. I guess Bel Canto will have to make due for as this year's untouchable, can't-miss darling.

It's not like these damn awards even matter, though.

Guest Kotzenjunge

Of course, should Kylie win that which she has been nominated for, I'll gladly retract all of my slander towards the Grammys and their superb committees.

Guest Matt Young
You know, I just noticed this, but Remy Shand got 4 nominations (all in R&B categories), which leads me to ask: have a lot of Americans even HEARD of Remy Shand? I'm guessing that much of this board hasn't but I don't think he's mainstream, so... what gives?

Remy Shand is awesome. I saw him on MTV2 before his album came out and he was really good. I heard that the album was #1 in Canada the first week it was out, although it was like #39 here.

Guest starvenger
You know, I just noticed this, but Remy Shand got 4 nominations (all in R&B categories), which leads me to ask: have a lot of Americans even HEARD of Remy Shand?  I'm guessing that much of this board hasn't but I don't think he's mainstream, so...  what gives?

Remy Shand is awesome. I saw him on MTV2 before his album came out and he was really good. I heard that the album was #1 in Canada the first week it was out, although it was like #39 here.

Oh yeah, he got the big push in Canada - deservedly so imo - but as the Tragically Hip and others can attest to, being big in Canada means nothing in the US.

Guest Sassquatch

The metal category should be retired.

No one will ever live the Jethro Toll debacle down.

Guest Kinetic

That's Jethro TULL. And, damnit, they deserved the award more than Metallica that year.

On a similar note, I'm shocked that Paul McCartney didn't get the nod for Best Hard Rock Vocal Performance (Male) this year. "Freedom" literally rocked my socks. I'm not at liberty to say how.