Sign in to follow this  
Guest oldschoolwrestling

From the Inside with Jeremy Borash

Guest oldschoolwrestling

NWA TNA MAIN EVENT ANNOUNCED, DUSTY RHODES WILL BE BACK AND MORE

by Jeremy Borash Updated: 1/10/2003 1:34:13 PM

From the Inside with Jeremy Borash

1/10/02

Greetings from Music City, back from a worldwide jaunt that took to me to Vancouver, Honolulu, Sydney, Toronto, and seemingly all points in between over the holidays. I've slept in more beds in the last month than Christina Aguilera.

TNA had a record crowd for our first show of 2003. In fact, we had to turn away several hundred people at the door. Our fan base continues to grow weekly. We are advising fans in Nashville to arrive early to the Asylum, as seats have been going very quickly.

This past Wednesday was another great show in my book, not topping our 12/18/02 show, but still a solid effort. Siaki/Jason Cross, as well as America's Most Wanted/New Church were especially strong.

The Sports Entertainment Xtreme segments have been getting great response, as the angle is easy to follow, with clearly defined heels and faces.

I'll throw one more recommendation in for Jerry Lawler's new book, which brought back some great memories of the Memphis days. A great read.

The momentum TNA is experiencing is very exciting for us. We certainly have seen our share of bumps in the road along the way, but the rewards from hard work are certainly coming back to repay us well, with a continued growth in worldwide distribution as well as great progress on getting TNA Xplosion out to a broader audience. I'm also happy to announce our PPV buys are on the increase.

I like the new logo and look. Look for continued improvements and integration of it into the program.

CM Punk and Colt Cobana impressed TNA officials in their Xplosion match that will air this weekend.

Goldylocks suffered a concussion after the altercation with Desire this past Wednesday night. She certainly wasn't feeling too great after the show, and was advised by those who have had concussions (and there are many in this sport) to not go to sleep Wednesday night. It just goes to show how dangerous this sport can be. Goldy is a real trooper, and we wish her a very speedy recovery.

Announcers aren't trained for that type of abuse, which reminded me of the time Tank Abbott destroyed Bob Ryder and myself on a Monday Nitro episode about two years ago. Tank knocked me out cold, and I was seeing stars for the next week or so. I guess I shouldn't have been surprised Tank Abbott wasn't exactly skilled at pulling a punch, or more likely, didn't care enough to try.

The main event for this Wednesday night will be Jeff Jarrett and the Road Warriors taking on Triple X (Low Ki, Chris Daniels, and Elix Skipper) in a six-man tag.

Amazing Red will get a crack at the X-Division title this Wednesday night. Upon announcement, the TNA Asylum gave a very positive response to the news Red was going to be getting a shot. He has become one of TNA's top babyfaces.

I got back from Australia literally hours before the show Wednesday, and my body is still giving me the "What the hell time is it!" feeling. I got off the plane Wednesday morning, attended the production meeting, went to the studio to make the history of S.E.X. vs. NWA package that aired, and arrived back at the building with about ten minutes to spare before show time. The post-show beverage never tasted better.

If you didn't get a chance to see my 2002 TNA Awards / Top 10 to watch in 2003 column, it is still up on the site. I received a number of inquiries as to why I left out Tag Team of the Year. Chalk that one up to jetlag. My choice goes to America's Most Wanted, who are as good as any tag team in the industry today. Honorable mention to the New Church.

Australia is a wonderful place, and I can't wait to see TNA on the road to visit the great fans of that country. We set to debut there on 1/23/02; with a show the fans in Australia will be very interested in seeing. I will be opening the PPV on the 23rd from the Sydney Harbour in Australia.

Dusty Rhodes will be back this Wednesday night. What a great response for the return of the American Dream.

TNA and MAIN EVENT in Australia have formed a great partnership. If you get a chance to turn on their promotional channel, you will see tons of great TNA footage getting you fans down under geared up for our big launch.

While visiting Australia, I had the chance to catch up with Rohan from www.wrestling.com.au, who is a great friend and very knowledgeable when it comes to wrestling. He has written the definitive guide for new viewers of TNA that will be going up soon on his site.

Also while in Australia, I had a chance to catch up with Rove McManus, Australia's younger, hipper, David Letterman. You may remember seeing Jeff Jarrett knock out Rove with his guitar at the WWA Inception. Rove has been keeping up on TNA events and is looking forward to seeing our first broadcast there on the 23rd.

Slash from the New Church was superkicked so hard Wednesday night that he lost a tooth, ruining any chances of his rumored upcoming GQ magazine layout.

Type in "Britney Spears virginity sale" in Kazaa media search, and you will hear one of the funniest Don West impressions I've ever heard, courtesy of Opie and Anthony, who are huge Don West fans. Be warned - it isn't exactly Sunday morning material.

The brand new TNA shirts have just been put on sale, and are selling very well. The TNA logo shirt, the S.E.X. shirt, and the Jeff Jarrett / NWA World Champion history shirts are now available for ordering on www.nwatna.com.

A busy weekend for TNA stars coming up. Tonight you can see yours truly, along with Jeff Jarrett, Jerry Lynn, Don West, Kid Kash, Ron Killings, and Brian Lawler in Memphis, as well as Poplar Bluff, MO. tomorrow night at the Black River Coliseum for Lethal Attitude Wrestling. Check out www.nwatna.com for more information. For information about booking NWATNA talent on independent shows, email [email protected].

Jeff Jarrett is certainly living the world champion lifestyle, heading to LA yesterday, and catching a private jet to Memphis just in time for tonight's show I mentioned earlier. We will also be showing footage of his very successful tour last weekend in Puerto Rico on a future TNA episode. Dutch Mantel and company are drawing huge crowds there, and Jarrett had a great showing.

Our good friend Stully from Stranglehold radio in St. Louis has put up some interesting New Year's resolutions from TNA stars on the TNA website. AJ Styles' resolution? To become NWA World Champion.

Those of you in Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Malaysia, Israel, Philippines, Singapore, South Korea, Taiwan, and a few other Middle Eastern countries will now be able to see TNA via Star World starting one week from today. Check your local listings.

Good to see Rick Michaels backstage Wednesday night. Michaels lives and breathes wrestling, and suffered an injury that should have ended his career. As I've said before, this kid has enough heart that if anyone could return from something like this, it would be him.

Interesting to see the Tale of the Tape on Smackdown last night. That is a hell of an idea… we should try that.

I'm very much looking forward to the sit down interview Mike Tenay will have with Vince Russo this week. The gloves will be off, and hopefully if things remain somewhat civilized, should be a very interesting conversation. Both men sincerely believe in their causes and will have the ammunition ready to try and back it up.

Have a great weekend gang! We will see you back on PPV this Wednesday night!

Jeremy Borash

[email protected]

Guest CoreyLazarus416

I knew Miss Desire threw Goldy down too hard, because it looked like Goldy was legitimately hurt afterwards. Otherwise, I doubt she'd be yelling "you fucking bitch" after being helped up.

Guest Youth N Asia
Interesting to see the Tale of the Tape on Smackdown last night. That is a hell of an idea… we should try that.

I agree, ECW and the UFC used it years ago and it looked nice.

Guest geniusMoment

wwf used a variation on it years ago as well. Ventura would run down the competitors wins and body part size before big matches.

Guest Vyce
Type in "Britney Spears virginity sale" in Kazaa media search, and you will hear one of the funniest Don West impressions I've ever heard, courtesy of Opie and Anthony, who are huge Don West fans. Be warned - it isn't exactly Sunday morning material.

FINALLY, some recognition for one of O&A's best bits ever!

O&A.....how we miss you.

"BE DIALING!!!!"

Guest the 1inch punch
The main event for this Wednesday night will be Jeff Jarrett and the Road Warriors taking on Triple X (Low Ki, Chris Daniels, and Elix Skipper) in a six-man tag.

Dear God thatll be horrible

Is this some sort of punishment for Chris 'n' Loki for pissing off to Japan every few weeks, being stuck in there with Hawk?

Guest Tim Cooke

"FINALLY, some recognition for one of O&A's best bits ever!

O&A.....how we miss you.

"BE DIALING!!!!"

Yea, got to miss two no talent hacks named Greg and Acne.

I guess it is a great show if you like women being crapped on in 50 gallon barrels, horrible bits being replayed because they have no more material, and a C List comedian to say what they can't say.

Yea, a hell of a show.

Tim

Guest Slapnuts00

I might not get this next week's show. The recent SEX storyline has really turned me off to to the show going from good wrestling and feuds to Vince Russo in every other segment and the roster being split into 2 sides for no real reason (unless you count the confusing "insider" explenations). Triple X will be no good in there against Jarret and LOD, and Im really sour on Sonny Siaki so that's a waste of Red. Damn Russo...

Guest Raven_Effect01
Is this some sort of punishment for Chris 'n' Loki for pissing off to Japan every few weeks, being stuck in there with Hawk?

When the hell did Jerry Jarrett suddenly turn into Vince McMahon?

Guest ShooterJay

I think TNA is realizing the Siaki as X champ experiment is failing. Red's going over, and they'll move Siaki over to heavyweight where he fits better.

At least that's what I hope happens. Red is over, and they need another credible heavyweight. Siaki is 20 pounds over most cruiser weight limits anyway.

Guest eirejmcmahon

Well now we know why they didn't announce next week's main event on last Wednesday's show.

"At least that's what I hope happens. Red is over, and they need another credible heavyweight. Siaki is 20 pounds over most cruiser weight limits anyway. "

The X Division is not about weight limits maaaan, it's about NO LIMITS!

Even so, Siaki doesn't have the style that other X guys have and does indeed fit more into the heavyweight scene. I guess they just want SEX to have a champ in their stable.

Guest The Last Free Voice

I don't know if the main will be THAT bad. Jeff Ki and Daniels can all defanatelt caryy, as can Skipper to a lesser extent. Just as long as the RW time is limited, mabye with JJ playinfg face in trouble, it should be okay-good.