TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Agent of Oblivion

Bee Gees' Maurice Gibb dead at 53

Guest Agent of Oblivion

MIAMI BEACH, Fla. - Maurice Gibb, a member of the famed disco band the Bee Gees, died Sunday at a Miami Beach hospital, his family said. He was 53.

Full story

Guest MrRant

Well shit. They weren't my favorite band but they had some catchy stuff and I enjoyed a lot of it.

Guest El Satanico

Well, the Bee Gees' aren't very good at following their own advice...

Stayin' Alive

:runs from the thrown rocks and bricks:

Ok...ok i know that was uncalled for

:does Pee Wee's voice:

Iiii'm Sooorryyy...sooo soorry

:looks around and waves to the moderators:

You nice lads wouldn't go and ban little ole me now would ya

Guest Agent of Oblivion

I thought about making the Stayin' Alive joke, but I figured someone else would cover it.

Guest Dace59

Can't say I was a fan, but it's always sayd when a musician dies.

*Makes a Tribute in his own way by playing Ten Masked Men - Staying Alive*

Guest spiny norman

I really am sad, as a big Bee Gees fan. I was actually listening to You'll Win Again as I heard the news, terrible.

I don't see how they can say the Bee Gees were just a disco band though, as their early work is all much darker pop (eg. Massachussets, Spicks And Specks etc).

Still, it's a great loss to the music world.

Guest Respect The 'Taker

Truly sad news. An iconic band from the disco era (No, im not labelling them a disco band, however no one would doubt that was their greatest success).

They've endured the loss of another brother earlier on, i can't imagine it gets any easier as time goes on.

UYI

Guest snuffbox

I dont really like the Bee Gees being pigeonholed as a disco band. That era certainly gave them their most visibility but it only lasted like 5 years, and did severe damage to their credibility when the genre died. Before the disco boom, which they get much credit for creating (not milking the times) they were an exceptional 3-piece with several amazing, hit songs. Post-disco they (Barry specifically) wrote hits for other arists as they waited for the backlash to die down. Through the late 80s to the 90s the Bee Gess consistentlly were writing good-great records for themselves again.

The disco songs are exemplary, catchy, danceable pop. The pre-studio 54 gems are some truly amazing, and emotional, tunes. The post-disco efforts are either hits for other artists primarilly or some of their own renaissance work.

Not every song is good but there are some true classics in the Bee Gees' body of work. The brothers have dealt with personal heights and tragedies by writing and performing music that has been helpful for and enjoyed by many.

With the passing of Maurice Gibb the band is most likely finished. Now, their musical output will have to stand for itself against the test of time. The early hits reman vital and the disco records are regaining a modicum of respect. The music of the Bee Gees will most certainly continue to flourish on the record players, eight track decks, and cd stereos of many, many generation. And with the music, the art, the spirit and life of Maurice Gibb will also remain. Staying Alive.

Guest Scarlet Pimpernel

Truly very sad. Apparently Gibb's was a bit of a drinker aswell. Ah well, such is life.

RIP

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen

I liked the Bee Gees, although I would never admit it. Stayin Alive has a great riff, and all their songs have very distinctive vocals. Not in top 10, but you could certainly do worse.