TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Kingpk

Tampa Bay's done it again

Guest Kingpk

Tampa Bay has signed Rob Johnson

Johnson finds a home with Buccaneers

Ok, so Rob Johnson gets a fucking contract before Bledsoe?  Am I in another dimension where crappy QBs get picked before good ones?  I hope the only reason that Bledsoe hasn't gotten traded is because of his contract, although it's not that bad.

Guest AlwaysPissedOff

Is it me or are the NFC GMs setting the stupidity bar pretty low these days? I mean, other than Green Bay and Chicago, New Orleans and TB have made some of the dumbest moves I've ever seen.

Guest goodhelmet

I was reading an SI article that explained the reasoning behind moves such as this one. The Patriots won a Super Bowl without spending alot of money on bigname talent (Bledsoe excluded) and teams are following the lead, thinking they'll have the next Tom Brady or Kurt Warner or whatever. Just like the year before, Baltimore won a Super Bowl with their defense so everyone wanted to copy the model. Only this time around, they (the owners) are being tight with their checkbooks.

Guest Vern Gagne

What is so bad about this move? Johnson's got a strong arm and if he can stay healthy, that's a big if of course. He could possibily give the Buccs the down field passing game they soreley lacked the last few years.

Guest bps "The Truth" 21

What is so bad about this move? Johnson's got a strong arm and if he can stay healthy, that's a big if of course. He could possibily give the Buccs the down field passing game they soreley lacked the last few years.

Take it from one who had to sit and watch this guy suck for the last 4 years on his team.  There is no redeeming quality to Johnson.  He gets outplayed by third stringers.  The offensive line in Buffalo was supposedly SO HORRIBLE that Johnosn couldn't play...and yet Flutie and Van Pelt NEVER had a problem with them.

I also heard Johnson criticizing the defense in Buffalo...even though one of the years he was here...they were #1...and another year they were #3...

To sum up Johnson one need to only look at the 2000 season.

THe Bills went 7-9 in Johnsons first real season as undisputed starter.  

7-9 isn't so bad, right?

Well...Flutie won 3 of those games while Johnson was injured...going 3-4 and looking DAMN impressive behind that horrible offensive line...

So Johnson went 4-8...

BUT.

2 of those wins came after Johnson was injured during the game and other QB's had to come in and bring the team back from behind.

vs. Tennessee (Van Pelt came in to lead the team back to victory)

vs. San Diego (Flutie came in and the team won in overtime)

So for games that Johnson started and completed last season he went:  2-8.

Add that to last years 1-7 he managed...that makes 3-15.

He lost his first 3 games with the Bills before getting injured and Flutie took the job... so thats 3-18.

And he won the Colts game in the 99 season finale to take the starting job back and then lost the playoff game..

SO...his official record in 4 years with the Bills (in games he HAS stayed healthy for) is:

4-19!

This guy is the epitome of garbage.

Every other QB that has taken his place hasn't had the problems that he's had.  He makes your whole team look bad.

If Tampa Bay lets him on the field...Gruden is an idiot and Tampa will fall off the face of the earth.

Guest Eraser2K2

Well a couple things have to be looked at here.  First, Rob Johnson of course is going to be a BACKUP.  Its not like they are making this guy their franchise player.   Rob Johnson is a "stay in the pocket" quarterback who played on a team with an arguably bad offensive line.  Tampa has Brad Johnson, also a pocket passed, and a good offensive line.  Those a two pluses for Rob.  Not that I find him at all good, but he could be a quality backup for Tampa.  Having Jon Gruden as a coach instead of Wade Phillips and Gregg Williams will help a lot too.  But anyway, about Bledsoe, goodhelmet is right.  Everyone is going to go find the cheap guys before the expensive guys, because thats how New England won.  If theres one thing about the NFL I hate, its how everyone copies the Super Bowl champ.  Problem is, it always changes.  But whatever.  This is a good signing for the Bucs.

Guest bps "The Truth" 21

Wait until you see him behind that "good" O-line.  He'll make it look like garbage.

The same way that other QBs could play behind the "bad" Buffalo line and make it look good.

Guest Kahran Ramsus

Flutie & Van Pelt aren't any good either.  The fact that they could play that much better than Johnson says a lot.

Guest bps "The Truth" 21

Well...Flutie was good in 98.  But there is no reason he should have looked that much better than Johnson in 2000.  No reason at all...except that Johnson is the worst quarterback ever.  That's right.  Ever.  Give me Todd MArinovich.  Give me Ryan Leaf.  You take Johnson...I don't want him.  And Van Pelt is a 3rd stringer at best.  And yet he outplayed Johnson at every turn.

DO NOT FALL FOR THE "HE LOOKS LIKE A QB" LINE!

He is not a QB.  I don't care what kind of arm he supposedly has...you'll never see it.  He'll be buried once ever 6.8 dropbacks before finally getting injured and taking his spot in the press box (because apparently the sidelines in Buffalo were too dangerous for him).  

Don't expect to see him do anything for the community either...he'll live in the hotel next to the airport and fly home at every opportunity.

We were fedt the lies here in Buffalo for too long.  DO NOT LET YOURSELF BE DUPED Tampa fan.  Do not trust this man.  He is the devil.

Guest Kahran Ramsus

Its times like this that I am glad I am a Packers fan.  At least I know Favre is in no danger of being replaced by someone like Ryan Leaf or Tony Banks.

Guest Sassquatch

Amen Kahran.

If Brett was replaced, the Pack fans would go apeshit all over management.

It would NOT be pretty.

Guest El Hijo Del Lunatic

The real question is: why?  Why sign Rob Johnson?  Why put another quarterback on the roster?  Okay, yeah, Brad Johnson isn't the greatest quarterback in history, but their offensive problems aren't going to be solved that way.  Gruden's a really smart guy, but I have to believe he knows that Tampa Bay's not going to be able to throw the ball 50 times and win.  They're just not built for it.  The problems in Tampa were purely philosophical.  The Tampa Bay Buccaneers are a team with the personnel to give Alstott and Dunn 15 carries each, and then play-action pass to move the chains.

Guest bps "The Truth" 21

It doesn't make sense anyway you look at it.

In a fair competition for the QB job...Rob Johnson won't get past third string.

I wouldn't be shocked if they cut him like they did Leaf.  He's that bad.

Guest Vern Gagne

Everything that happened in Buffalo was because that little shit Doug Flutie didn't help Johnson once when he became the starter. It wasn't the best choice for the team, but a veteran who cares about the team either helps the other guy out or at least doesn't get half the team to turn the back on the guy.It will happen in San Diego. Flutie will bitch and moan when Brees becomes the starter.

If Brad Johnson acts like Flutie did than they'll be a problem, but Johnson's a classy guy.

Guest Kahran Ramsus

"I wouldn't be shocked if they cut him like they did Leaf.  He's that bad. "

I wouldn't be shocked to see him be made the starter.  It has been that kind of off-season for the Bucs.

Guest bps "The Truth" 21

Everything that happened in Buffalo was because that little shit Doug Flutie didn't help Johnson once when he became the starter. It wasn't the best choice for the team, but a veteran who cares about the team either helps the other guy out or at least doesn't get half the team to turn the back on the guy.It will happen in San Diego. Flutie will bitch and moan when Brees becomes the starter.

If Brad Johnson acts like Flutie did than they'll be a problem, but Johnson's a classy guy.

You know what?  Don't lecture me on what YOU THINK Rob Johnsons problems were on the team that plays about 10 minutes from my house.  Some people read about it...some people lived it.  Flutie is not the cause of Johnons problems.  If anything, he played worse after Flutie left.  I guess Johnson and you can blame Van Pelt for last season.  The guy is 29 years old...and people still talk about his potential.  Give me a break.  Do me a favor and defend him after he takes the field for this team.  You'll find you'll have nothing to arm yourself with.

Guest converge241

Maybe the bucs wanted to lay claim to having the two Johnsons who were let downs from their free agent signings under contract.

Maybe they wanted to add to the Johnson family (with Keyshaw and Brad and Rob)

Those are the only practical reasons i can think of :)

I cant think of anything good that will come of this for TB.

Even if Rob got into a game #### be knocked out on the next play.

If I was Rob i would have just signed with Houston. He would have had a better chance to start there.

Guest El Satanico

Uh...if they make him the starter then i'd agree with the bitching. But why bitch already just at him being signed, it isn't that big of a deal at this point in time.

Coaches always like playing mind games. This is most likely just another head game that Gruden is playing to push Brad Johnson to make him play harder or whatever.

So unless they signed him to a long contract that is paying him a shit load there is no real reason to bitch at this moment.

Now if he is given the starting job with little or no QB competition in camp then rain down the bitching, and i'd probably be one of the first ones bitching at that point.

Guest Kahran Ramsus

Now the Bucs need to sign Doug Johnson and they will be all set.