TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Kinetic

69 Love Songs

Guest Kinetic

The Magnetic Fields' 69 Love Songs is many things to many people, but the one thing it is to everyone who's heard it is long; over three hours of music spread out over 3 23-track CDs. It stands to reason, then, that an almost infinite number of different regular albums could be made from those 69 songs. So with that in mind, I set out on the task of making a single 14 track album comprised of songs from all 3 discs. This is my rough draft:

1. Epitaph for my Heart (2.18)

2. All My Little Words (1.3)

3. It's A Crime (3.2)

4. Long-Forgotten Fairytale (2.15)

5. I Don't Want To Get Over You (1.6)

6. When My Boy Walks Down The Street (2.3)

7. Yeah! Oh, Yeah! (3.10)

8. I'm Sorry I Love You (3.4)

9. No One Will Ever Love You (2.7)

10. If You Don't Cry (2.8)

11. I Can't Touch You Anymore (3.16)

12. Parades Go By (1.17)

13. Meaningless (3.12)

14. You're My Only Home (2.9)

I invite anyone who's heard the album(s) to give me some input and maybe compile their own tracklisting. Oh, and listen to it like this.

I'm sort of replaying these songs in my head and I still think my arrangement is untouchable. This was the product of having a hell of a lot of free time in early 2003.

Guest Pizza Hut's Game Face

I bumped this becuse my friend sent it to me the other day, incredulous that I'd never heard it before. I'm really going about this the wrong way, just cherry-picking titles that look interesting, but I don't think it's crucial to listen to all sixty-nine in order.

"I Don't Want to Get Over You" and "Chicken With Its Head Cut Off" are also really good. Few throwaways so far, but whaddya expect.

"My Sentimental Melody" is the best Morrissey song never written.

"Grand Canyon" and "The Death of Ferdinand de Saussure" are also very good. And "Washington, D.C." works as an alternate opener. "Absolutely Cuckoo" is probably the perfect opener, but would be too obvious, see.

I have no clue what you're all talking about, but I like the idea of this album. Someone please give me the lowdown on this band. What type of music do they make? Is it really worth listening to the entire 3 disc album? Or should I just go with Kinetic's condensed version?

Help a brother out.