TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Kuyzer Soze

Any Classic rock fans?

Guest Kuyzer Soze

I'm a big fan of Classic Rock, my favorite band is Journey, all Journey, but preferably Gregg Rolie Era. I also dig Pink Floyd, Yes, The Doors, Neil Young(The man rules)

I'm also a fan of Tool, Pearl jam, Weezer, The Smashing Pumpkins, A perfect circle.

I'm new, so I just decided to share my taste in music before I get in deep debates with you guys.

Guest CoreyLazarus416

Of the bands considered "classic rock," I dig:

George Thorogood, AC/DC, Buddy Holly, Elvis Presley, Lynyrd Skynyrd, and a ton of bands whose names I've forgotten but I can probably name 10 songs by.

Guest MrRant
Of the bands considered "classic rock," I dig:

George Thorogood, AC/DC, Buddy Holly, Elvis Presley, Lynyrd Skynyrd, and a ton of bands whose names I've forgotten but I can probably name 10 songs by.

You forgot QUEEN!! How could you?

Guest CoreyLazarus416

By not liking them, that's how. Influential? Yes. But aside from the usual suspects of songs ("Bohemian Rhapsody," "We Are The Champions," and "We Will Rock You" ), I can't get into them.

Guest Youth N Asia

My favorite artist from the 70s is Warren Zevon...he only had one big hit, but his self entitled album and Excitable Boy are both ***** classics.

Young is 50/50 with me...I like a lot of what he does, but he has some crap. I always liked Powderfinger the best

Guest Respect The 'Taker
By not liking them, that's how. Influential? Yes. But aside from the usual suspects of songs ("Bohemian Rhapsody," "We Are The Champions," and "We Will Rock You" ), I can't get into them.

Im with Corey on this one. I admit Queen have few well known tracks, but i dont hold any special feelings for their music.

I prefer (in terms of classic rock) Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Tom Petty & Van Halen. Thats some good, old fashioned rock n' roll, the way it should be played.

Guest El Satanico

Classic Rock?

I like some...

AC/DC

some Aerosmith(their older stuff)

Alice Cooper

Allman Brothers

The Animals

The Beatles

Black Sabbath

Blues Brothers

Bob Dylan

Bob Marley(I know it's not but i consider it to be)

some Bob Seger

some Bruce Springsteen(older stuff

The Byrds

The Cars

The Clash

The Coasters

Cream

Creedence Clearwater Revival

Crosby, Still, Nash & Young

David Bowie

Derek And The Dominoes

Devo(They are iffy as far as being classic rock, but they are classic and a form of rock)

Donovan

The Doobie Brothers

The Doors

The Drifters

The Eagles

some Electric Light Orchestra

Elton John(only like his old stuff)

Elvis Presley

Eric Clapton

Fleetwood Mac

Frank Zappa

George Thorogood

Grateful Dead

Iron Butterfly

Iron Maiden

Janis Joplin

Jefferson Airplane

some Jim Croce

Jimi Hendrix

Joan Jett & The Blackhearts

Joe Walsh

Judas Priest

The Kinks

very little KISS(I can only stand 6 songs)

Led Zeppelin

Lovin' Spoonful

Lynyrd Skynyrd

Mamas And The Papas

Marshall Tucker Band

MC 5

The Misfits

The Monkees

Motorhead

Pat Benatar

Pink Floyd

The Police

Queen

The Ramones

The Rolling Stones(only their early stuff)

Santana

Sex Pistols

Steve Miller Band

Still Water

Styx(yeah i actually like styx...sue me)

Talking Heads

Three Dog Night

Todd Rundgren

Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers

The Velvet Underground

War

The Who

ZZ Top

Now of course that's not the only classic rock i like, but those are the bands that i have many songs from.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Black Sabbath rules over all, and I've got to second the mention of Frank Zappa. I also get into some Jefferson Airplane, a lot of Floyd, The Who, The Doors, and King Crimson.

Guest Kinetic

I've had this conversation with my dad on a few occassions and we've never come up with a satisfactory answer, so I'll pose it you: What exactly constitutes classic rock? By which I mean, when does rock music become "classic"? Is there an age limit, like after fifteen years or so rock music becomes "classic" rock music? Or is it just a general sound that the radio stations look for? Because most of the classic rock stations that I've listened to haven't incorporated anything new into the playlist from the last 25 years with the exception of the Black Crowes and maybe early Pearl Jam, both of which sound like classic rock anyway. So what is classic rock and when does regular rock become it?

Guest IDrinkRatsMilk

I like a good deal of classic rock. I don't really feel like listing bands, as most have already been mentioned, but... Deep Purple. Don't think I saw them.

Anyway, as for what classic rock is, I don't think it's as much of an age limit, as a specific era in rock. I'm not sure when it started, but it ended around 1984.

Guest El Satanico

Yeah i also consider classic rock as being any music that is considered to be rock music up to the mid 80's.

However i mentioned Bob Marley so i guess i have no clue.

Guest CoreyLazarus416

I consider classic rock to have a distinct "old" feel to it. Any music that sounds as if it were recorded pre-1982 (and NOT recorded in a garage band) I consider to be "classic rock."

Guest saturnmark4life

I guess I'd be shot down in flames if I mentioned the mighty KISS?

Guest El Satanico

Other than 6 songs i cannot stand KISS.

Such an overrated power ballad band.

power ballads...the musical anti christ

Guest Sassquatch

I am a very big fan of classic rock so I have a rather extensive list (I know there are bands that do not belong together on this list but bare with me):

AC/DC

Aerosmith

Alice Cooper

Bad Brains

Beatles

Billy Idol

Black Flag

Black Sabbath

Bob Dylan

Blue Oyster Cult

Bruce Springsteen

Buffalo Springfield

Cars

Cheap Trick

Circle Jerks

Cream

Crosby, Still, Nash & Young

Cult

Danzig

David Bowie

David Lee Roth

Deep Purple

Doobie Brothers

Doors

Elton John

Elvis Presley

Eric Clapton

Fleetwood Mac

Frank Zappa

Grateful Dead

Heart

Iggy Pop & the Stooges

Iron Maiden

Jam

Jefferson Airplane

Jimi Hendrix

Joan Jett & The Blackhearts

Johnny Cash

Judas Priest

Kinks

Led Zeppelin

Mamas And The Papas

Marshall Tucker Band

MC 5

Ministry

Misfits

Motorhead

Pink Floyd

Pixies

Police

Queen

R.E.M.

Replacements

Rolling Stones

Rush (a few songs)

Sex Pistols

Steppenwolf

Styx

Subhumans

Talking Heads

Ted Nuggent

Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers

Van Halen

Velvet Underground

Who

ZZ Top

Guest El Satanico
Danzig

Ministry

Ministry is kinda out of place...well no not kinda...totally out of place. Most of the others i can understand, but i have no clue where you're coming from with putting Minstry as "classic rock".

Danzig is kinda pushing it. I'm figuring you put them because of Glen's whole evil Elvis singing style. Hell I even put The Misfits, but Danzig isn't really in place here.

But other than those two i can understand where you're coming from with all of your choices.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

I also wouldn't put Buffalo Springfield and The Subhumans in the same genre, either.

Guest CoreyLazarus416

Or The Circle Jerks and Motörhead...even if Motörhead is a "rock n' roll metal" band...

LEMMY IS GOD...

Guest Sassquatch
LEMMY IS GOD...

Amen brother Laz.

I was debating as to whether or not to include the Bad Brains, Circle Jerks, Jam, Clash, Misfits, Sex Pistols and the Replacements on the list but I noticed that El Satanico had the Clash on his list so I just went with it.

And yes I realize how kooky it is having Ministry, Danzig and Styx on the same list.

:P

Guest El Satanico

I'm sure the hardcore punk rock fans would throw a fit having them put in with bands like Styx, but the older punk bands fit in with "classic rock".

Guest WrestlingDeacon

Classic rock to me is from the British Invasion to New Wave. It's when rock developed a "harder" sound going farther from its country and blues roots. And with new wave the experiments with synthesizers and electronics led to a "softer" sound.

Of classic rockers I really dig:

Allman Brothers

Bad Company

The Band

Bob Seger

white soul era David Bowie

The Beatles

Blue Oyster Cult

Blood Sweat and Tears

Terry Kath era Chicago

Eric Clapton

Alice Cooper

Joe Cocker

CSNY

Harry Chapin

Dire Straits

Foreigner

Super Tramp

Stevie Ray Vaughan

Doobie Brothers

Guess Who

Tom Waits

Monkees

The Rolling Stones

Bonnie Raitt

Steely Dan

I'm also a big fan of Oldies, Soul and Funk. I am the number one mark for the fat Elvis.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Eh, Lemmy's ok. An above average bass player, and horrendous singer, but is still really enjoyable. I can't listen to Motorhead for extended periods of time, but they're definitely good shit.

Guest FeArHaVoC
I consider classic rock to have a distinct "old" feel to it. Any music that sounds as if it were recorded pre-1982 (and NOT recorded in a garage band) I consider to be "classic rock."

That's how I would Sum up "Classic Rock" also.

The Two Stations here that Call themselves "Classic Rock" usually only play music that is 10 Years Old. So yes, Pearl Jam, Nirvana, etc are being played and called "Classic" Rock now. Ugh

Anyway, Top of my list would be 70's Aerosmith and Led Zeppelin. There are many more, but I'm not making a whole list. Sue me.

Guest pochorenella

I agree with CoreyLazarus description for "Classic Rock". But I wouldn't place Nirvana or Pearl Jam (both awesome bands) in this category.

Kiss most definitely deserves to be in the list for All-Time Greatest for Classic Rock. Give them a try, Soze. And Satanico: What are the only six Kiss songs that you can stand? Just curious.

For me, bands like Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Aerosmith v.1 (pre-Done With Mirrors era), Queen (up until The Game), The Eagles, Van Halen (David Lee Roth era), The Doors, The Stones, CCR, AC/DC (up until Back In Black mostly), The Beatles (of course), Rush, Tom Petty, Heart, The Police, Fleetwood Mac, Elton John, Journey (Steve Perry era only - sorry, Soze) and some others I forget. All awesome IMO.

Other bands that have been named here (like Judas Priest, Maiden) I really love but I just wouldn't consider them as "Classic Rock" at this point. Some others I just don't dig, really.

Guest CoreyLazarus416

Hmmm...I'd put at least HALF of Judas Priest's pre-Ripper work under the heading of "classic rock." I mean..."Breakin' The Law" and "You Got Another Thing Coming" aren't really METAL, especially since a fellow NWOBHM band (Iron Maiden) was producing simply better and more metal tracks...