TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest ajc

10 Sports Things That Piss Me Off...

Guest ajc

1.) The Wave- I don't know what's worse, the lemmings who participate or the one fool who tries for 20+ minutes to get one started.

2.) Atlanta Braves announcers- Skip Caray and company are insufferable.  Thankfully, they cheer, er, "announce" for baseball's version of the Buffalo Bills.

3.) Chris Berman- A full-of-himself blowhard who actually got a Super Bowl ring from the 49ers.  Wow, who sez journalists have to be impartial?

4.) The fools that sit behind home plate and wave to the camera while chatting on their cell phones.

5.) Bandwagon jumpers- Pick a team and stay with them.  Ask a Yankee "fan" who Thurman Munson or Joe Pepitone is.  Ask a Lakers "fan" who Norm Nixon is.  Is it too much to ask fans to stick around and know a little bit about their team's history?

6.) Fans of two teams in the same sport- Blue collar A's fans hate the prissy Giants fans...toothless Alabama fans hate toothless Auburn fans...damn it, you can't be from NY and like the Yanks *and* the Mets...

7.) Grown men who beg athletes for autographs- There is NOTHING more pathetic than anyone over the age of 16 begging for their ball to be signed...

8.) Security guards who throw chicks out that flash the crowd- As long as it's just a bra-shot, what's the big deal?  Here in So. California, chicks will sun-bathe in a two-piece at games during the summer, so what's the difference?  

9.) Female professional sports teams- Yeah, they're athletes.  Yeah, they can kick my ass at their respective crafts.  No, they are not entertaining.  The WNBA, the Silver Bullets ladies baseball team, women's hockey...they play 2 steps slower than the men and with 1/2 the talent.

10.) Jim Rome's radio show- I used to listen to him in So. California, before he made it big.  He was a lot more humble and let his vast knowledge speak for itself.  He's turned into sad little middle-aged man who spouts hip hop slang from five years ago.  The only thing worse are his callers.

Guest AlwaysPissedOff

Hey now.... As a proud Alabama native, I must that we all are not toothless.

Guest Cerebus The Aardvark

I can do a list like this...

1. Duke.

2. Duke.

3. Duke.

4. Duke

5. Duke.

6. Duke.

7. Duke.

8. Duke.

9. Duke.

10. Duke.

Easy.

Guest Cerebus The Aardvark

Is that the guy who always does stuff for Page 2 on ESPN.com?

I hate Duke for a specific reason. I have no clue what his beef with them is, so I can't really say much about that.

Carry on.

Guest Spaceman Spiff

I'd add the "Tomahawk Chop & Chant" that Florida State & Atlanta Braves fans do.

Guest DrEvil

10) The Wave - indeed, 10 years ago when it was popular it was just stupid, now it's just pathetic

9) People who don't know any rules and ask about them

ie: baseball, foul ball - Is that a home run?, ref blows whistle for offside - why did he blow the whistle? followed by - what's offside?

8) Fat fucks who rip off theirs shirts - some chick who wants to have some fun and flash the camera gets ejected, but a fat asshole whose flabby hairy body makes me want to puke? that's allowed

7) Kerry Fraser - (NHL ref) more concerned about his perfect hair than actually paying attention to the game

6) Suspensions for injuries - someone accidently hits another player causing an injury and gets 5 games, but when someone intentionally does the same thing but it doesn't cause an injury, there's no suspension.  If the goal is to take these actions out of the game then give suspensions for the action, not the result.

5) Shouting in curling - I hate the sport to begin with but I can't stand when they start up with the "Hurry Hard" yells, especially when there's a shrill Stephanie-esque voiced chick.  Put some muscle behind your throw if you want it to go hard. (Spoken by someone whose never played, flame away)

4) Harry Neale - hockey colour commentator, he just comes up with so many useless and obvious facts - "Your best players have to be your best players to be successful, You won't win many games if you don't score more goals than your opponent".  He's got an entertaining voice and enthusiasm, but if you actually listen to what he's saying, it's just "What the fuck????"

3) Grunting in woman's tennis - how is this not considered a cheating, distraction tactic

2) Pro athletes who go broke and want sympathy - you made more money in a 5 year career than I'll make in a 50 year career, and you blew it all, now you want sympathy, tough shit dumbass

1) Autograph hounds in it for the money - the guys you see with 20 cards of a player trying to get them all signed.  If it's a single item for a personal collection, then great, but when they're just doing it to make a buck, it really turns the athletes off of the fans.

Guest Smues

10) The New York Yankees. I could have given them all ten slots easily, but I wanted to bitch about other things as well.

9) Hockey fans who think a game is boring if there isn't enough fights. If you want fights watch boxing.

8) Pay-rod taking the biggest contract in sports and trying to say it isn't about the money. I may live in Seattle at the moment, but I'm a life non anti-Mariners fan, so I don't hate him for leaving the team. But taking that big of a fucking contract and then claiming it's not about the money is a crock of shit and just plain greedy.

7) Roger Clemens - What an #######. Just, what an #######

6) Shaq - I AM KAZAAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5) Ticket scalpers - Especially the ones that buy 5000 #### tickets to a game with the intent to sell them. I hate getting screwed out of a ticket cus of these greedy fucks. I'm not opposed to someone buying a ticket with intention to go to a game, then a conflict comes up, and they sell the ticket for more than face value cus it's a sellout, but I can't stand the guys who have 100+ tickets to a sellout game. Case in point: Michal Jordan's one game against the Sonics in Seattle this year(which isn't even gonna happen now). Was there one person who bought tickets when they first went on sale who actually intended to go to this game? It sold out immediantly, and then blam I see 5000 people selling tickets for ungodly prices(200 for 2 15$ seats isn't uncommon). I can't be the only one that gets mad at this can I?

4) Gonzaga getting a 6th seed - Growing up in Spokane, I've been an anti-gonzaga fan for a long time too, but even I will admit they got fucked this year. How does 6th in the nation = a 6th seed? I fail to see the logic. They only lost 3 games all year, and for each of the past 3 years they've proven they can play in the tourny.

3) Coaches with bigger salaries then star players - Mike Holmgrim, coaching Seattle Seahawks. I might have my number wrong, but last I heard he was in a 5 year, 25 million$ contract, which I believe is more then anyone else on the team. Maybe not, but I do know for a fact it's more then new Starting quarterback(and superbowl winning qb at that) Trent Dilfer who just got a  4 year, 8 million deal, which can turn into an 18 mil deal. #### even Holmgrim's BUTT buddy Matt Hasselbeck was only making I believe 23 million in 5 years. I'm not saying coaches don't deserve nice paychecks, but not more then all the players.

2) MLB not having full interleague play yet - Ok on this one I'll admit I'm biased. Since I was 5 or 6 I've wanted to see the Atlanta Braves, and living in Spokane all my life where the only team in the area is the Mariners, it hasn't happened yet. What's so bad about having every team play everyteam at least once a season? It works for the NBA. and MLB has almost twice as many games.

1) Bud Selig - What a cancer on baseball this guy is. I hope the twins win the world series just to spite this guy.

Edit: This probably goes somewhere between 3 and 4

That fucking kid that caught the Yankee ball against the Orioles and turned it into a homerun. As if that wasn't sickening enough, but the ####### gets paraded around the town like a fucking hero and meets the mayor and all that.

Guest Army Eye
8) Fat fucks who rip off theirs shirts - some chick who wants to have some fun and flash the camera gets ejected, but a fat ####### whose flabby hairy body makes me want to puke? that's allowed

Hmm that is a good point.  Either they should allow both or disallow both.

Guest Kahran Ramsus

These are in no particular order.

1)  Major League Baseball - The whole league is for the birds.  An awful commissioner.  Teams that win based on their payroll.  Threatening to dump the storied Twins, rather than the horrible Devil Rays.  Knowing that if you live somewhere like Toronto, Kansas City, Pittsburgh, etc. your team will never make .500 let alone a World Series.  The most arrogant and spoiled players in North American sports.  I love the game of baseball, but MLB sure makes it hard to.

2)  Bandwagon Jumpers - The most annoying fans in sports.  They don't know anything about the history of the team, and often they don't know much about the sport in general, yet they never shut up about the current fad.  And they always say that their current team is the best of all time.  Sure the Rams were good in 2001, but they weren't even as good as the 1999 Team, let alone the legendary Bears, Steelers, Dolphins, Niners or Packers teams.

3)  Biased Media - Their job is to be impartial, not to pump of their favourites.  I can even forgive the local media, but when a national personality, like say Chris Berman for example, is so blatantly favouring one team it gets annoying.

4)  Professional Athletes in the Olympics - This goes for everything from hockey to tennis.  The Olympics are meant to be the best in amateur sports.  I don't watch the Olympics just to see spoiled millionaire athletes who have no desire to win.

5)  Amateur Figure Skating - The whole 'sport' is crooked.  And what does art have to do with sport anyways?

6)  Fights in Hockey Games -  If I wanted to see people fighting I would go watch boxing.  Speaking of which...

7)  Boxing - This sport is about as legitimate as professional wrestling nowadays.  It is all about who draws the best, not who necessarily is the best boxer.

8)  Athletes saying its not about the money - I can understand you leaving a team, if you can get more money elsewher, just don't say that it wasn't about the money because, to channel Jim Rome, 'it always is'.

9)  Trade Demands/Hold Outs - Once an athlete has signed a contract they should honour it.  If they signed a bad deal, then that's their own #### fault.

10)  The Old Boys Club - Otherwise known as sticking with the same old core group.  This applies to management, coaches and players.  This philosophy is why players like Ryan Leaf & Rob Johnson are constantly getting jobs, while a great coach like Marvin Lewis cannot get interest from anyone.

Guest DrEvil
I don't watch the Olympics just to see spoiled millionaire athletes who have no desire to win.

Not true actually, a lot of athletes put a huge effort forward for the olympics because they're playing for pride (personal or national).  Case in point - Jaromir Jagr, one of the best in the Olympics, but Mr. Invisible through much of the season. But yeah, the Olympics are supposed to be the best amateur athletes.

Trade Demands/Hold Outs - Once an athlete has signed a contract they should honour it

Forgot about that one.  It's the thing that absolutely pisses me off the most.  A player has a career year, and then holds out until he gets his long term contract renegotiated.  If you want the market rate for the season you just had, then only sign a one-year contract.

Conversely, what about the players that sign monster long term contracts after a career year, then go into the tank.  Could you imagine the revolution if an owner were to say that he's holding out until the contract is renegotiated to the market rate.

Guest kkktookmybabyaway

"Biased Media - Their job is to be impartial, not to pump of their favourites.  I can even forgive the local media, but when a national personality, like say Chris Berman for example, is so blatantly favouring one team it gets annoying."

Yeah, it's too bad all sports journalists can't be like that bastion of impartiality that is Peter Gammonds.

Guest dreamer420

10) Too much expansion.  That leads to leagues having too many teams and having to elimate a few.

09) Players holding out for more money.  A problem that is seen in all major sports these days.  It all started when salaries began skyrocketing out of control and soon even the shitty players were making a cool million.

08) Basketball fights.  If I wanted to see flailing like that I'll watch my sisters fight.

07) Canada's lack of decent sports teams.  With the Canadian dollar being neck and neck with the Paso these days team cannot afford to stick in Canada.  Canada has lost an NBA team and a couple of hockey teams and possibly more to come.

06) Although I can't remember his name, the guy who owned the Vancouver Grizzlies, and promised not to move the team but went and did so anyway.

05)  TSN.  The Sports Network my ass.  I don't want to see Cheerleading, Horse Jumping, Sailing, Dog Shows, and whatever shit they use as filler, even though it makes up most of their programming.

04) Darryl Strawberry.  How many chance will this guy be given before he is finally locked away in jail where he belongs?

03) Hockey fans who can't appreciate a good old fashion game.  A final score of 2-1 or 1-0 indicates that the game was probably pretty thrilling.

02)  Cheapshots.  It happens at least once a year, usually in hockey.  Someone like Dale Hunter or Gary Suter, or Marty McSorely will take a vicious shot at an unsuspecting player and will get suspending for a bunch of games while the player that took the hit has to sit out a few games.

01)  Boxing.  Will never be able to get back the heights it once reached.  Too many Mike Tyson incidents have ruined this sport forever.

Guest AlwaysPissedOff

10) Boxing- Mike Tyson is an insane ex-con who should have been locked up more than once and Lennox Lewis is a prima-donna bitch.

9) Roger Clemmens- What a fucking lowlife. I wished that Piazza had kicked his ass after that lil headhunting incident.

8) John Stockton- Lord knows that EVERY SINGLE FUCKING NBA ANNOUNCER has to pimp this lil piece of garbage as a "great player with a mind for the game"... FUCK THAT! John Stockton(and his BUTT buddy, Karl Malone) are dirty pieces of shit who cheat almost every game while the announcers offer up verbal blowjobs on the level of Dukie V. by saying "They are smart veterans, now pass me a tissue!" What a fucking joke. What made me realize how much the NBA bends over for Johnny Boy was a Bulls game about 6 years ago. Stockton and Malone were doing the pick and roll and the person guarding John got around and stole the ball. When the Bulls got into their half-court offense, Stockton gave the PG the lane and #### near kneed the poor bastard's nuts off. Veteran, my ass.

7) Dukie Vitale- What a biased piece of garbage. Hey Dick, when you're finished wiping Coach K's cum off your chin, how about calling the game right down the middle?

6) Bill Walton- Fucking self-serving prick. Nothing is funnier than Bill trying to diss someone on the defensive end and then not even being able to get on his knees fast enough when they go on offense. What a disgrace.

5) Dennis Rodman- A jerkoff who acts like a spoiled lil twerp in the name of the sport. Fuck him.

4) Bandwagon fans in the SEC- I can't go a day without seeing most of these jerkoffs who were dissing the holy #### out of Kentucky going into the Tourney and calling Tubby Smith a "dumb, worthless son of a bitch" and then dive on their knees when UK makes it to the Sweet Sixteen. Fuck, they did the same thing with Bama. I was behind Bama 100% whether they won or lost. I knew they got outclassed by Kent State on Saturday, but I'm still Bama-4-Life regardless.

3) Chris Berman, the Drooling Idiot- Let's just say I HATE him. Hate, hate, hate...

2) Tom Coughlin- The Jaguars are my favorite team, why do I hate the head coach? It's simple, Tom is an unabashed moron for trying to practically kill his players during practice. Gee, if your star tailback is constantly hurt as well as most of your other All-Pro starters, is it a good thing to practice them to death when it only leads to even MORE fucking injuries?

1) Fights in Basketball Games- I swear, most of these guys try so hard to look so macho out there, yet when they get pissed, they fight like lil girls. ####, even friggin SHAQ has to sucker punch a white boy who wasn't even close to being 300 pounds like he was. In fact, I wasn't surprised by what he did to Brad Miller because he did the EXACT SAME THING to Eric Montross by punching him in the throat. Whatta badass....

Guest treble charged
2.) Atlanta Braves announcers- Skip Caray and company are insufferable.  Thankfully, they cheer, er, "announce" for baseball's version of the Buffalo Bills.

I have to agree with you on that one.  The Braves' announcers are the worst I've ever heard.  They show no excitement, and don't even pretend to care about the other team.  I was watching an interleague game last year between them and the Blue Jays from SkyDome, and since the roof was open, they showed to CN Tower, only the announcers called it the CP Tower.  I mean, how much work does it take to ask someone the #### name!?!

Guest Jericholic82

Hey guys, don't worry about these bandwagoners just ignore them. They have ruined it for me cuz everyone thinks I'm one just because I am a Yankee fan.  But I am a native of NY and followed them for the past 12 years (Im only 19 so you see).  My father is a true fan and could rattle off names in a snap.  My biggest problem is people complaining about buying titles.  It simply doesn't work that way(unless youre the 97 marlins or even the 01 diamondbacks).  It is true that the economics of MLB suck but we got to deal the hand dealt to us.  I am sorry that long suffering fans have to put up with this garbage, but of course the commisioner is a real moron.  I respect your dirreerences with me, But I am sick of hearing it, its a little too redundant.  what am I to do?  

Im just trying to say that we all arent bad people.  I just don't get everyones problem with NY as a place as well.  

And I just cant deal with brain damaged people of CALI lol

Guest Some Guy

10) The Yankees (I'm from Boston, it's in my blood)

9) MLB's players union (when is enough enough?  Shut the fuck up and play ball)

8) Having 30 teams in MLB (dump ten and maybe the game will be truly great again)

7) The Patriots not geting the respect the earned by busting their asses all year and dominating the "best" team in the NFL for most of teh Superbowl.

6) Yankees fans (there are no more arrogant, rude, and spoiled fans in the country than the those of the Yanks)

5) Dick Vitale (I just hate him, BABEY)

4) The dickheads with the cell phones at ball games.  (here's a hint, if your right behind homeplate, guess what your on TV and furthermore who gives a shit about you anyway?)

3) Any team from California  (you all suck)

2) The fact that my beloved Red Sox haven't won since 1918.  (this pisses me off to no end)

1) Did I mention the Yankees and their fans?

Guest imajackoff?
Edit: This probably goes somewhere between 3 and 4

That fucking kid that caught the Yankee ball against the Orioles and turned it into a homerun. As if that wasn't sickening enough, but the ####### gets paraded around the town like a fucking hero and meets the mayor and all that.

Dont get me started on that one. Furniture was broken after that bullshit play.

Guest Smues

Amen. I was completely disgusted by that. And just the fact that not only was this allowed to happen, but the kid was paraded around on tv and all over the place like some big hero. I mean when I bitch about this kid today, someone in the room can pop off his name. Why the FUCK does this kid deserve to be so recognizable that people accross the country know his name? (I don't know his name, and don't want to know his name, with the exception of being able to indentify his tombstone)

Guest MARTYEWR

First off, this is one of the best threads ever! Now, in no particular order (and I may be missing some)...

1. Bob Cole and Harry Neale. Seriously, these guys need to hang 'em up. Besides Dr. Evil's points about Neale, which apply to Cole as well, these two have aged so much that Cole looks like a turtle and Neale looks like a chipmunk! At least Pat Summerall knew it was time.

2. Idiotic football fans in Canada that whine that "the CFL is not the NFL, so it sucks". No kidding, dipshits! The CFL is NOT supposed to be like the NFL, it's supposed to be a nice alternative to it and a faster version of football. That, and it's not the XFL, thank you very much.

3. The "You can't like two rivals" rule. I agree with everyone who's posted that. I live in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, and I get weird looks from people when I admit that I like both the Senators and the Toronto Maple Leafs. Heaven forbid!

4. Corporate clients/schmucks that attend sports events. Seriously, it's people like these guys which contribute to ticket prices being so high. But that's not what really bugs me. If you work in an office, like I do, than they tell you (since you're a sports fan), "HEY! I was at the Senators game last night!" Then you go, "Oh yeah, who were they playing?" They of course don't know and reply "Uhh, hmmm, I, uh, have to attend a meeting right now! I'll talk to you later!"

5. US College Bowl Games. Time to put this dog to bed and go to a playoff/tournament system, sez I. Oh, so it will break tradition, huh? Big whoop, the tradition is gone to #### now since the Rose Bowl just featured teams that weren't in the Big 10 or Pac 10. Create a special qualifying system that picks the top 8 or 16 teams, and let them go. The BCS is about as crooked as figure skating judging anyway. And speaking of which...

6. Figure Skating judging. I'm Canadian. So is Sale and Pelletier. 'Nuff said.

7. The PGA. Hey, I don't mind golf. I play it occassionally. What annoys me is the number of tournaments PGAers are allowed to not attend. Every year, during January and February, you never see Tiger Woods in a tournament, and when he finally shows up, Phil Mickelson and/or David Duval take a week off. I swear, the only time this doesn't happen is during a major or the odd tournament here and there. It's really annoying for golf fans, just ask my dad.

8. Sports news/report shows. Have these things ever become a parody of themselves. Any ads you see of them are now, "Watch this sports show for this reporter!" or "So-and-so, only on SportsNews!" Then you watch it, and the reporters start acting like goofballs to centre it just around them. Um, I'm watching these shows so I know what my favourite teams are up to these days, not for the reporters. Although, for the Canadians on this board, I'll make one exception: I WILL watch CTV Sportscentral for Jody Vance, if nothing else! :)

9. Sports and the law. So, you're a sports athlete who makes $10 million a year. You might as well try robbing a bank, it's not like you're going to be convicted or anything. I swear, OJ Simpson sure has set a consistent standard, now has he? What happened with Jayson Williams' little incident anyway?

10. Can't really think of an original choice for #10, so I'll just combine a lot of the other choices made (Bud Selig, the Wave, etc.) as my last one! :)

Guest swan

What about Anna Kournikova still trying to pass herself off as a legit top women’s tennis star.  Come on honey don’t you realize your true talents can be found in nude modeling and porno?

Guest JerryDrake
10) Boxing- Mike Tyson is an insane ex-con who should have been locked up more than once and Lennox Lewis is a prima-donna bitch.

Mike Tyson is a gimmick.

Guest DrEvil

As much as I'd prefer to see Anna K working in porn, she does belong in pro tennis, she does have the talent to be a mid-carder.  What pisses most people off is how she is held in such high regard when she has never won a major tournament in her life.  Her body and face get her more publicity and fame than players who are multiple champions.

Guest DrTom

I'll just add the thing that pisses me off the most in sports.

Athletes giving thanks to God after they do something memorable.  Just shut the fuck up.  Jesus didn't hit that homer or throw that touchdown; YOU did.  Take credit for something you did for a change instead of following your brainwashing.  Were I an interviewer, I'd just cut the mic and walk away.  If I want to hear an ####### talk about religion, I'd start going to church again.

Just once, though, I'd like to hear a player give praise to Satan after doing something memorable.  The horrified reactions of the commentators, and the inevitable public backlash, would amuse me for days on end.

Guest El Satanico

This fits with the thanking god shit. I hate it how coaches and players always give halfassed answers to questions so they don't piss someone off. I'd love it if these guys answered with how they actually feel.

If a interveiwer asks how they won i'd kill to hear them say because we have better players and we played a much better game. But we get nothing but "Well they are a tough team and it was hard but a couple of things went our way and we somehow got the win" oh what the fuck ever.

Guest pinnacleofallthingsmanly

I agree that men shouldn't be able to show thier tits if girls can't.

I'm not about to make a list, but something that pisses me off is the 76ers and thier fans. I used to like Allen Iverson once upon a time, but now I can't stand him. Tell me how the hell a you justify letting a guy score 30 points on 30% shooting. The fact that the 76ers win games at all is an indictment of how weak and watered down the NBA is these days. Sure Iverson is a quick player that can put up points on you in a hurry if he goes unchecked, but there shouldn't be a stat about him needing to shoot the ball 30 some odd times for the team to win. They used to bitch and bitch about him not having a supporting cast, but let's look at the fact that he played a part in that. For one, if he needs to shoot the ball so much, who else can shine on that team? Jerry Stackhouse could be on that team right now and had they been able to play together, the 76ers would be the shit right now. Now he is in Detroit leading them to the number 2 seed in the playoffs.

I hate 76ers fans because a lot of them came out of the woodworks last year because they decided that they liked Allen Iverson. I hope they enjoyed the run while it lasted because they won't be going  back to the Finals anytime soon. I also think that booing Kobe Bryant at the All-Star game was out of place and lacked class. I got tired of having Iverson and the 76ers shoved down my throat last season and everyone jumping onto their nuts.

Guest El Satanico

I don't see the big deal about home towns booing players they don't like no matter what the occasion is.

As a Cleveland Browns fan i'd be pissed off if John Elway didn't get booed in Cleveland for anything related to football. Hell i hope he's booed when he gets inducted into the hall of fame since it's near Cleveland.

I don't see the big deal about home towns booing players they don't like no matter what the occasion is.

The reason why it is distasteful is because it shows a lack of sportsmanship and a lack of respect for someone for no real reason. If you want to boo John Elway at a game, that's fine, but booing him at the Hall of Fame would be distasteful because football is just a game. The fact that he orchestrated numerous ass kickings and dramatic wins over your beloved team should not make you dislike the guy when he is not orchestrating the ass kickings and dramatic wins.

Lennox Lewis has a british accent, so he is a gentleman.