TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest ajc

10 Sports Things That Piss Me Off...

Guest AlwaysPissedOff
I'll just add the thing that pisses me off the most in sports.

Athletes giving thanks to God after they do something memorable.  Just shut the fuck up.  Jesus didn't hit that homer or throw that touchdown; YOU did.  Take credit for something you did for a change instead of following your brainwashing.  Were I an interviewer, I'd just cut the mic and walk away.  If I want to hear an ####### talk about religion, I'd start going to church again.

Just once, though, I'd like to hear a player give praise to Satan after doing something memorable.  The horrified reactions of the commentators, and the inevitable public backlash, would amuse me for days on end.

Hahaahaha!

Good one, Doc. Damn near made me choke on an ice cube while reading it.

And to Prince, I know he's British. BUT, I still consider Lewis to be an insufferable prick.

Dem's da breaks, I guess.

1. Tailoring sporting events to fit around the endless parade of commercials. How many TV time outs did they have in the NCAA tourney?

2. Ex-pro athletes thinking they can commentate. Sorry, Tony Gwynn. You're not good. The few that actually can call: Joe Morgan, Joe Simpson, Tom Paciorek, Al Downing, Brad Daughtery.

3. The NBA.

Poor shooting. + Thugs. + Very predictable. + No fouls, particulary over the back. + No violations - especially 3 seconds and traveling =

No interest.

4. Bud Selig. And what has Milwaukee done lately? Their last pennant was twenty years ago; the last World Series championship? 1957.

5. The lack of parity in basketball for the NCAA women. Unless you go to Vandy, Tennessee, Louisiana Tech, or Connecticut, you're never gonna achieve a thing.

6. Athletes leaving college early.

And where is Joseph Forte right now? At the very least, bring back the freshmen exemption. Not only will it make the players wait a year, it'll also save scholarships. Freshmen teams would encourage more players to walk on.

7. The lack of personality in high school basketball.

In my state, the state tournaments used to be huge. Great features in the papers. All the excitement of little Ludowici and its grand total of 20 boys in high school (12 played hoops) vying for a crown. Now, all it is is the big schools that get attention.

8. Lack of personality in team nicknames.

I'll puke if another team opens with a crappy nickname. I don't want to see another team of Panthers, Trojans, Wildcats, or Spartans. We already have enough. Besides, there's nothing quite so charming as the Stormy Petrels.

9. Corporate stadiums.

Does anyone name a stadium after a person anymore? Jack Murphy is now the personality-less Qualcomm. Candlestick became something crappy and now the Giants play in Pacific Bell. Since the outburst of corporate nicknames, several companies have fallen by the wayside, notably Edison International (Angels) and Enron (Astros).

10. The cost of stadium food.

There's a reason why a man exclaimed with glee as he displayed a turkey leg from his pants pocket. He snuck the leg in past stadium security.

Guest Ripper

I hate people that call the Nba players a bunch of thugs when Baseball, football and every other sport has players that get in trouble to times as often.  

I hate when people get mad if someone thanks God.  If they believe that they have the talent because of God, they can thank who they want.  When you do something memorable, you can thank you pet goat for all I care, its your moment.  I really hate when some asshole like Bill Mahr or others try to make a joke of it when people thank who they want.  

I hate all arguments that Shaq is the best player in the NBA.  I'm not even going to get into this because it would be like 4 pages long.  

I hate that you guys are saying that only NBA fights are pathetic...Have any of you actually watched the baseball and football fights...they are just as pathetic.

Guest DragonflyKid

I have to agree with Bill Maher's opinion that the thanking God ritual is Narcissistic. There are billions of people arond the world living in poverty and oppression yet these rich athletes and entertainers thank God for having it so good. It's beyond ridiculous to think some all-powerful being would bless so-and-so while cursing others on such a drastic scale.

I hate the hype of sports. Pro sports are just games played by grown men but are viewed as something that transcends  mere entertainment. The athletes act as if a win is actually significant and validating and the fans live vicariously through their teams while experiencing a sense of power or disappointment. People often critisize wrestling and wrestling fans by using the obsolete, ignorant statement that wrestling is "fake" instead of appreciating it's choreography. Pro wrestling is entertainment; sports too, are just entertainment but many see it as a religion of sorts and pathetically take it much too seriously.

I also hate basketball fights, they get pissed yet know if they hurt someone they can get in trouble so they half-ass throwing a punch. If you are going to fight at least go for it and not throw a punch like a girl. It is funny though to see muscular 7 foot tall men flailing their arms like some fairies.

Guest oldschoolwrestling

I don't have a list of 10 but here's a few that bug me:

Golf fans.  When someone putts and they all yell "Get in the hole"

Female fans who try and talk down your team because their husband/boyfriend likes someone else.  They have no idea why they dislike your team but when your team loses, they talk crap and there isn't much you can do.

Guest Ripper

"I have to agree with Bill Maher's opinion that the thanking God ritual is Narcissistic. There are billions of people arond the world living in poverty and oppression yet these rich athletes and entertainers thank God for having it so good. It's beyond ridiculous to think some all-powerful being would bless so-and-so while cursing others on such a drastic scale. "

They thank god for giving them the ability...Look at it like this, if they can do it and you can't they believe it happend for a reason so they thank the person they think is responsible for it.  I have yet to here a athlete say thank god for that shot going down when it did.  They ususally say "First I gotta thank God, who without none of this would be possible" (that I do believe is the official Thank God speech).

They are basically saying thanks for the ability to make this happen.  And in all honesty, if they believe in god, it is the least you could do.  they coud easly be someone without talent.

Guest DrTom

"They are basically saying thanks for the ability to make this happen.  And in all honesty, if they believe in god, it is the least you could do."

No, the *least* they could do is shut the hell up about it.  

The interviewer didn't ask them for a testament of faith or anything of the sort.  Usually, they're asked how it feels to win the big game, or what happened on a pivotal play they made.  The athletes take it upon themselves to interject their religion into the answer.  Religion is supposed to be somethign personal, so why share it with everyone?  Why is not OK to have the slightest mention of God in a public school, but it's OK for athletes to pimp Christianity to a nationwide audience?  It's unneccessary and terribly arrogant.  The only thing I find more annoying than athletes pointlessly thanking God is them thinking what they say is actually of public importance.

And in all honesty, if they believe in god, it is the least you could do.  

A few years back, it was legal for college football players to remove their helmets on the field. As you remember, the players would do it after every big play.

Lou Holtz created a policy while he was at Notre Dame:

If you remove your helmet after every good play you make, you have to remove it after every bad and/or stupid play you make.

Applying that principal to religion and athletes, if an athlete thanks God for every win, he should thank him for every loss.

Guest DrTom

"Applying that principal to religion and athletes, if an athlete thanks God for every win, he should thank him for every loss."

Almost right: the athletes should blame God for every loss, or a poor play they made that makes the team lose.  It would be great to hear someone say, "We probably would have won the game, but Jesus made me strike out with the bases loaded!"  Or, "I'd like to blame God for the interception I threw at the end."  It's all about equal time, after all.

The interviewer didn't ask them for a testament of faith or anything of the sort.  

No but its something they want to say. Like if they wanted to say "hi mom" or some other stupid stuff. I think its a little silly but it doesn't bother me.

Religion is supposed to be somethign personal, so why share it with everyone?

Its a quick comment dude, its not like they are quoting scripture all the time.

Why is not OK to have the slightest mention of God in a public school, but it's OK for athletes to pimp Christianity to a nationwide audience?  It's unneccessary and terribly arrogant.

They are not really pimping christianity. Im not totally sure but I think more than christians believe in God. I know anostics do.

Arrogant how? And asking them how it feels to win the big game, etc is unnecessary too.

Guest Ripper

"Almost right: the athletes should blame God for every loss, or a poor play they made that makes the team lose.  It would be great to hear someone say, "We probably would have won the game, but Jesus made me strike out with the bases loaded!"  Or, "I'd like to blame God for the interception I threw at the end."  It's all about equal time, after all. "

That doesn't come close to equaling the same time.  You have never heard a athlete say "I'm happy God put that shot in the basket other wise we would have lost"  so why would they say something like that.  

In the end it is simple.  They have ability that you don't have, rather you think it is special or not, they can do it and you can't.  They believe they have this ablity because God gave it to them.  They can thank God for the ability if they want to. If they think soda crackers and EZ-cheese gave them the ability, then they have the right.  If they break out a Bible and start preaching when the report ask about the game, then I'm their with you, but saying a 3 sec. phrase to thank God for their ability isn't hurting anyone.

Guest DrTom

"Im not totally sure but I think more than christians believe in God. I know anostics do."

They do?  The whole point of being an agnostic is that you're unsure as to the existence of God ("agnostic" literally means "without knowlede").  I like to think of them as atheists in training, but the point is, an agnostic isn't sure what to believe, so saying they do believe is incorrect.

"Arrogant how?"

What makes them think what they say is of national importance?  What made them so special that the American viewing public is interested in their little testaments of faith?  If you're asked a question, answer it without a bunch of preachy ad-libbing.  

"And asking them how it feels to win the big game, etc is unnecessary too."

Sure it is, but no one ever accused 99% of sports "journalists" out there of asking difficult questions.  I think most of them got their degrees from the Larry King Softball Lobbing Academy.

Guest DrTom

"That doesn't come close to equaling the same time."

Hey, if you're going to offer praise when something goes right, you should hand out the blame when something goes wrong.  Of course, God only gets the praise, while the blame is placed on people whenever something goes wrong.  But religion is crammed full of double standards, so one more isn't surprising.

"They believe they have this ablity because God gave it to them.  They can thank God for the ability if they want to."

Sure then can, and unfortunately, many of them do.  However, since the original topis was to list things in sports that pissed you off, that's what I did.  It pisses ME off.  If you're cool with it, that's fine, but I find it incredibly needless, arrogant, and very annoying.

In the end it is simple.  They have ability that you don't have, rather you think it is special or not, they can do it and you can't.  They believe they have this ablity because God gave it to them.  They can thank God for the ability if they want to. If they think soda crackers and EZ-cheese gave them the ability, then they have the right.  If they break out a Bible and start preaching when the report ask about the game, then I'm their with you, but saying a 3 sec. phrase to thank God for their ability isn't hurting anyone.

They won't break out the Bible. It is my opinion that most of these athletes that thank God in their interviews wouldn't know much about the Bible.

Most athletes who are serious about religion don't go out and pimp it on TV. They believe in actions and not words.

While Dale Murphy was a known Mormon, he didn't go out and pimp his beliefs in interviews. Instead, he went out and lived a model life.

Murphy didn't thank God one day and get caught for DUI the next.* He didn't go home and beat his wife.

I wouldn't mind these guys talking about religion if they were serious about it.

* And I'm not saying all athletes who do thank God in interviews are like that.

But an example is that Rafael Furcal does the point towards heaven after every hit. He was caught for DUI last year. Sorta like singer James Brown, who claimed he was "high on the Lord" when he threatened people with guns and led police on a long chase and also faced charges of narcotics abuse.

Guest Ripper

Yeah, because we all know that if you can't really be religious if you still sin.  Relgious people never sin... ???

Oh, Dr. Tom, I'm not trying to change your opinion or anything, just discussing.  I'm just trying to explain why I don't think its a big deal. You could be just as right as I think I am. Hell, I hate that they do those interviews on the court after the game...The guys are always winded and sweating and it always come out all mumbled and incoherient.

"Great game, how do you feel"

"FirstIwannagivehonortoGod...Ifeelgreattheteamdidagoodthing.........wegottag

oodteamch

emistry......."

I never understand a word they are saying.

Guest BlackLight

Here's a new one that I hope we can add to our respective lists...

Referring to a talented team, in any sport, as "sexy."

You hear this come up an awful lot during March Madness. Let's be clear about something. If you're like 90-98% of all men in the world, WOMEN are sexy. Not college basketball teams. You should be clubbed over the head with a pipe wrench for saying something like this.

As for thanking God after a win, I say let them. I am aware of the double standards that exist in this context, and I personally don't believe God is concerned with who wins the game. Furthermore, even if God did give me or them a special talent, he certainly wouldn't need me thanking him in public. I figure if he's all-powerful, he would know that I credit him with it.

But anyway, if you want to thank God, thank him. But keep it brief. If you carry on for any length, it starts to sound like you think you won for being a "true believer" in a particular faith. Mark Brunell did something like this a few years ago, suggesting that the Jaguars were successful because they were all good Christian men. Muhammad Ali was pretty notorious for the same thing when it came to Islam. If anyone's heard his post-fight interview just after beating George Foreman, you know what I'm talking about.

As for Darryl Strawberry, I think he deserves another chance. Hey, Wade Boggs was a sex addict all those years, and they let him play.

Guest DrTom

"As for Darryl Strawberry, I think he deserves another chance. Hey, Wade Boggs was a sex addict all those years, and they let him play."

I really hope that was sarcasm.

Guest Some Guy

"As for Darryl Strawberry, I think he deserves another chance. Hey, Wade Boggs was a sex addict all those years, and they let him play."

"I really hope that was sarcasm. "

So do I.  Wade Boggs was addisted to sex, a perfectly legal, although unethical thing considering he's married, Strawberry is addisted to drugs and hookers 2 very illegal things and he has been given more chances than anyone else and blew each and every one of them.  Ask Pete Rose if he'd like as many chances to screw up as Strawberry has had.

Guest Redhawk

1) Yankee player-haters -- Would you shut up about "buying championships" already? In case you forgot, it's PROFESSIONAL sports. Every owner, not just Steinbrenner, is trying to buy a championship. The players win the games and the owners pay them for it. So if you want to say the Yankees are buying championships, then you also have to include the Patriots, the Lakers, and any previous champion in any professional sport. Besides, if you could afford to get superstars lke Jason Giambi and Mike Mussina, wouldn't you sign them? Alright now.

2) Anna K player-haters -- So what if she hasn't won a tournament? She's not being maketed as a good player, she's being marketed as a sexy player. There's not one commercial where she's dominating the competition or anything, so you can't say they're misrepresenting her talent. No one, even Anna, has said she's the next Monica Seles or anything. If she's fine enough to get paid for being fine, then so be it.

3) People getting fined for criticizing the refs -- If the ref fucks up, why can't you talk about it? I think David Stern and other commissioners know that blaming the refs is an age-old sports excuse, so they fugured they might as well make some money off it. But to whom are the refs accountable to? They're protected by the leagues because you can't criticize them even when they do a poor job. I don't see anyone getting fined for pointing out when a player has a bad game. Free speech my ass.

4) The baseball regular season -- Too damn long. You do not need 162 games to figure out who the top 8 teams are. The NBA is pushing it with 82 as it is. As a result, regular season baseball games don't mean shit until August.

5) Chris Connelly -- I'll just cut and paste my rant on him from another thread:

You know, the host of "Unscripted" on ESPN. I fucking HATE this prick. For one, he thinks that just because he used to work for MTV he's all cool and has to name-drop musicians all the time. Like when he was talking to CC Sabathia and asked him if he used to dress like Bubba Sparxxx. Or someone will say something about their car and he'll spout off some dumb shit about Snoop and Dre in their '64 Impala. Then, he kisses every guest's ass uncontrollably. He told Bill Romanowski that he was one of the best linebackers in the league and one of the toughest players of all-time. Bill Romanowski? What a prick.

6) People who say boxing is barbaric but watch stuff like "The Sopranos" and "Lord of the Rings." -- I liked "Rings" and all, but there was way more death in that than in boxing. And all they were fighting over was a stupid ring.

7) People who go into sports chat rooms and just type "PACKERS RULE" and "DUKE SUCKS" all day. -- I know chat rooms aren't the hot spot for cool people, but come with something intelligent or thoughtful.

8) The Nevada State Athletic Commission -- Las Vegas has legal prostitution and is the gambling mecca, and you won't give Mike Tyson a license based on keeping INTEGRITY? Please.

9) NBC's basketball coverage -- Can we please get ONE game that does not involve the Lakers, Spurs, Kings, or Mavericks? And will you stop showing the fucking Knicks already?

10) Bowls -- Every other team sport in the world has a playoff system. It's not that hard.

Guest ajc
4) The baseball regular season -- Too damn long. You do not need 162 games to figure out who the top 8 teams are. The NBA is pushing it with 82 as it is. As a result, regular season baseball games don't mean shit until August.

Dammit...I agreed with virtually every one of your point ('specially the digs at Las Vegas & Bowl games), but I gotta respectfully disagree wit'cha on this one.  If anything, it's the NBA & NHL regular seasons that are too long.  Hell, nearly 50% of both leagues are invited to the playoffs (both of which usually start in April and end in June!).  I think the more "elite" nature of the baseball postseason deserves to be played out over a longer (162 game) span.  JMODO, though, your mileage may vary.

Sorta like singer James Brown, who claimed he was "high on the Lord" when he threatened people with guns and led police on a long chase and also faced charges of narcotics abuse.

When did this happen?!?!?!?!?!?

Also Tom what's wrong wtih religion? you seem really bitter like you swallowed some hella pill dude. just chill out. I'm a Christian but I'm not that religious but for a lot of people it makes them into good people. Not all the time but it does at least some time. It may be true or maybe not but if it helps people get more satisfied with therere lives and makes them better people then more power to them. plus I always thought the Bible had inconcistencies beccause it was written by people and people aren't perfect. Plus the meanings migoht of been chagned over all these yeats.

Also I know some agnostic people and I think it is if you don't go to church or belong to religion but you believe in god.

And to Prince, I know he's British. BUT, I still consider Lewis to be an insufferable prick.

I always here this but what's the reason everyone says this? Boxing is just so fukced up I barely watch and I don't pay attnetion to what the fighters say so what did I miss there?

Guest gthureson

James Brown was arrested in 1988 and served 2 years in prison.   He lead the cops across a 2 state high speed chase and was on PCP at the time.

And yes, he did use the excuse, "No, I'm not on drugs.  I'm just high on the Lord!"

Agnostics are *not* believers who just don't go to church.  They are fence-sitters.   They are unwilling to deny or accept the existence of god until proof is given to one claim or the other.   Hence the word....agnostic.

But this is a sports thread, not a religon thread.

Guest Kingpk

- Guys in the stands who take their shirts off.....and forget deoderant.....while I'm sitting behind them......in the outfield bleachers at Fenway Park....when the temperature is pushing 85-90.

- Kids who skip college for the NBA.  They are thrust into the spotlight when they are nowhere near ready to handle it.  I would at least go and get a degree to fall back on in case I blow out my knee 2 weeks into the season.

- Sportswriters who pick on wresting for no reason.  Most of us know it's "scripted" and "predetermined", but it ain't exactly "fake".  It's just a ploy for readers anyway.

- Bob Costas taking over Inside the NFL.  Just to placate his ego I guess.  At least Glanville will still do the Pats preseason games.

- Boston politicians.  They can pump billions into a highway project that is 213 years behind schedule but they won't chip in to build a new Fenway.

Guest Ripper

"Kids who skip college for the NBA.  They are thrust into the spotlight when they are nowhere near ready to handle it.  I would at least go and get a degree to fall back on in case I blow out my knee 2 weeks into the season."

See, this is one of the arguments that PISS ME OFF.

You go to college to be able to get a career and make money...If you want basketball as your career and you have  a chance at it, WHY WOULDN'T you take it??  If you have a chance to star in a Hollywood Blockbuster, are you going to turn down the role because you were suppose to study acting in college and it might interfere?  NO!! If you want to be a actor and you are given the chance to be on...YOU TAKE IT!!!!

Nba Rookies have 3 year guarenteed contracts.  Even if they are injured, they still get the money..enough money to PAY for any college that they want to get in.

You know why it is such a big flak over this and basketball(you never here anything about all the Hockey and Baseball players that leave for pros without college) Because College basketball is a big money business and they aren't getting the chance to milk these guys talents for free.  They don't give a shit about their education, they want to have winning teams so that the league can have ready made stars so they can make more money.  

Then they try to say that the guys aren't ready for the NBA.. Lets see.  Darius Miles, Kevin Garnett, Kobe Bryant, Jermaine Oneal, Tracy McGrady, and Tony Parker are some of the leagues more respected players and they came straight from highschool.  Then there are Leon Smith, Kwame Brown, Tyson Chandler and ...um...that other guy on the bulls and that kid on the Jazz, all have either gotten in trouble (Smith and that Jazz guy) or haven't panned out just yet(in thier defence, they are just rookies.) You want to compare that to all the 4 year players that came in the leauge and staight up stunk cause they weren't ready.  (Just look at the ENTIRE UCLA championship team...Edny is the only one that is still in the leauge. )

Playing college ball when you could get a guarenteed contract is dangerous in itself.  You could 1: Not live up to the expectations everyone thought you would have been and not be drafted or get in a program where your talents aren't used correctly(Vince Carter is a prime example of being in the wrong system in college) or 2: Get injured and end you career..Now you have that marketing degree to fall back on and might even get a job making 30-40k a year...wouldn't you be happy you didn't skip college and take that 700k per year job...

I think if these kids have a chance to live their dream, screw playing for free and risking your career...if you gonna risk your career it might as well be in the NBA where if you do get injured, you get paid for it.

Guest ant_7000

yeah i totally with ripper with the young college players leaving the NBA if the opportunity is there take it thats how i feel. I find it funny that NBA or any other sport whines about how players leave early for drafts and then tell them there not ready but still drafts them because they have "upside potential" or whateva, but then player who was hot his junior season but stays for SR year but didnt play as well then the year before, then scouts are like he shouldve left his junior year now the player stock drop and might not get guarenteed contract, so if I was in that position and the scouts were buzzing about me like that I would leave early too. thats how I think players end up leaving early.

Guest Smues
1) Yankee player-haters -- Would you shut up about "buying championships" already? In case you forgot, it's PROFESSIONAL sports. Every owner, not just Steinbrenner, is trying to buy a championship. The players win the games and the owners pay them for it. So if you want to say the Yankees are buying championships, then you also have to include the Patriots, the Lakers, and any previous champion in any professional sport. Besides, if you could afford to get superstars lke Jason Giambi and Mike Mussina, wouldn't you sign them? Alright now.

Ok here's something that pisses ME off. Last year all Yankee fans were whining "Stop saying we buy championships, it's not true!!" Yet now that it's pretty much been proven that they do, suddenly it's "So what we buy championships, you're just jealous"

DIE YANKEES DIE

Guest Kahran Ramsus

No, other teams 'build' championships.  Except the Arizona Diamondbacks (and Florida Marlins before them), because in MLB you can't win if you don't 'buy' championships.

Majorly disagreeing on players leaving college early.

Sure, these kids are getting guaranteed contracts for three years. But if you're out of the league after that, what are you going to do? Yeah, you can go back to college, but how many do? Most were only in college to go pro! And I know there's been a few people go back to college after the pros, but I can't think of any.

Dontonio Wingfield went pro early. Where is he now? He was arrested a few times. His mother had him arrested. He's not a success in the slightest.

How 'bout Kareem Rush's brother, JaRon? Going pro early was his best decision, huh?

D.A. Layne? Who?

And I'm not going to say that all that leave early are like this, but there's a lot of immaturity. You have 20-year-olds with millions of dollars and they have no idea on how to use it.

Just last week in Sports Illustrated, they profiled a Broncos cornerback who had just filed for bankruptcy. SI listed some of his debts. They were ludicrous! $32,000 just for limo charges!

College brings maturity! I'm miles away from where I was in high school. And it was after 2-3 years after entering college.

Yes, there are some players that don't have senior years as good as their previous years. But there's players that have even better senior years. I think that's definately the case for Juan Dixon and Jason Williams, just like it was the case for Shane Battier and others.

I saw a comment recently from a scout addressing these players leaving early. He compared them to Battier. He said that these kids are going to spend several years on the bench and not contribute. Battier's going to immediately contribute because he's readied himself. And Battier has. Compare his numbers to the big names - Kwame Brown, Forte, Curry, Chandler.