TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Hollywood

1998 MOTY?

Guest Hollywood

I'm just curious as to what Scott, or anyone else for that matter, thinks is the Match of the Year for 1998?  Going through the old tape review section, it would appear that Foley v. Austin from Over the Edge '98 would be it, but is there anything else that could be considered.  North American entrants only please.

Thanks a bunch.

Guest Tim Cooke

The best Heavyweight match in 1998 in the United States was DDP v Goldberg from Halloween Havoc.  Simple yet so well laid out and executed that it deserves to be higher than the crap that was Austin/Dude Love (which had nice heat and was kinda funny but the wrestling was average or below).

As for Cruserweight Matches in 1998, I would say that the Kidman v Rey Jr v Juve from Starrcade 98 was the best match.  Add to the fact that this is the only three way match (barring the ROH Main Event that should be in by April) that I have seen that is actually laid out smartly and works, where as every other three way dance suffers from being with that stipulation and the consequences that come with it.

WCW had a bunch of decent TV matches but nothing that was MOTYC level stuff.

Tim

Guest Annoyed Grunt

I'd say the Ladder Match between HHH and Rock at Summerslam.

For the record, the RSPW match of the year was the #### in the Cell match.

Guest Tim Cooke

"I'd say the Ladder Match between HHH and Rock at Summerslam."

I will always take real wrestling matches over stunt/spot fests any day.  The only time that has ever been reversed was 1995 when Michaels/Ramon was USMOTY, though I would say that Pillman/Badd from Fall Brawl 1995 was as good wrestling wise.

Tim

Guest RetroRob215

I would pick Dude Love-Austin from OTE also.  I agree with Tim on the Pillman/Badd matchm but I thought it was much better than the Ladder match.  IMO, the SS Ladder Match is overated.

Guest Kahran Ramsus

I liked Jarrett/Michaels better than the SummerSlam ladder match in 1995.

Guest Tim Cooke

For me, Jarrett v Benoit from Starrcade 1996 is better than the Michaels/Jarrett debacle so the 1995 doesn't do much for me.

For pure wrestling in the US, 9/95 Pillman v Badd stands out as not only a classic, but also a terrific carry job that was suppose to screw over Pillman.

Tim

Guest Tim Cooke

"Let us not forget Raven-Benoit from Souled Out."

Benoit v Raven is nothing more than your standard good brawlish type match.  It had the hate but was more or less a great Nitro match.  Benoit v DDP the next month was a better match than Raven v Benoit and the DDP match sucks for the pre planned match that DDP laid out.

Tim, thinking DDP's pre planned matches were great, but not for a terrific wrestler like Benoit who could work with DDP better without a pre game plan.

Guest Tomato Can

"Benoit v Raven is nothing more than your standard good brawlish type match.  It had the hate but was more or less a great Nitro match.  Benoit v DDP the next month was a better match than Raven v Benoit and the DDP match sucks for the pre planned match that DDP laid out."

I do not concur.

Guest Tim Cooke

"I do not concur."

Care to explain why you don't concur or are the for words "I do not concur" your explanation?

Tim

Guest Tomato Can

To be perfectly frank with you, I'm just too #### lazy to start arguing about it, so that was my way of saying "let's agree to disagree."

Guest RetroRob215

When did the curse filter start?  When did d a m n become to vulgar for a wrestling board?

Guest alfdogg

I haven't seen OTE Austin-Foley or SSlam ladder match in their entirety, so until I get around to it, I'll have to say Juvi/Kidman/Rey Jr. from Starrcade.

Guest muswp1

Over the Edge 98 with Dude Love and Austin should be 1998 MOTY with an honorable mention to Hell in a Cell II solely on the fact that Mick was still able to walk after that.  I have an MPEG of that match and Mick should be a paraplegic after that one, especially after he went through the cage and that chair hit him square in the mouth.  Speaking of that match, Scott's rant on that match said Mick guided himself down the cage when Undertaker threw him off, how exactly did he "guide" himself, that certainly looked like a freefall to me.

Guest RetroRob215

He held the edge of the cage for as long as he could to help ensure that he would land on the table.