TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Chunk

Scott Kieth on the WWE

Guest godthedog
Does anyone get paid for writting for 411 then? Your post kind of hints that they do.

We don't get paid at 411. Some of the writers (like myself) use the exposure from the tape reviews to draw in customers for tape purchases on their websites though.

...said the guy with the ENORMOUS rolling germans link in his sig.

Guest The Mighty Damaramu

I dunno. I read him because it's funny but I don't really put any stock in his opinions anymore unless it is parallel with my opinion. Then I usually don't think "Hey yeah I agree with him." I think "See he agrees with ME! As well that bastard should."

Guest RepoMan

Kieth is one of my favriot writters on the net. I usually have a match a star above his rating, but its a good thing not to always agree w/ someone but be entertained.

Guest Pegasus Kid
I see. Thanks. How did you get your 'job' there then?

I was already "working" at The Smarks when it was acquired (is there any better way to put it?) by 411. They dropped a few folks but Widro wanted to keep me on as they had very few people that had an understanding of Puroresu (and wasn't an asshole about it). Then I turned around and started watching US Indies. :phaser:

they had very few people that had an understanding of Puroresu (and wasn't an asshole about it)

Greatest quote ever.

Oh and you know who's worse than SK in terms of "I am the wrestling god!"??? Anyone ever been to Rajah's WWF News and Rumors? Yeah that guy is annoying. I used to go there when I was a fledgling smark and I'm pretty sure that most fledgling smarks and marks go there. They think the guys like god when he posts his recycled WON and Torch "news and rumors". You should read through his mailbag. People will be like "Do you work for the WWE? Do you!?" or "Man you know everything about wrestling!" poor souls......

Guest Retro Rob

Scott Keith... where to begin?

I've been following his work since 1999. I've conversed with him on his boards since 2000. Honestly, as cliche as this it, the guy simply got a big-head. Once the first book deal rolled around and wrestlers like DDP became fans of him he took on this "Greater than thou" persona. His consistent bitching is what turned me off of his work to a certain extent. I still read his wrestling reviews just to see what he rated certain matches as compared to what other wrestling analysts, myself included, thought of the match. Overall, ratings are and always will be subjective, so I can't judge him based on them. As a person I think he is a pompous asshole. As a writer I think he is entertaining. Therefore, when I read his stuff I try to forget about his true personality. Those of you who started posting here after the Keith regime left will never really know what the guy was like because he acted differently on the board. He enjoyed having power over other people, it made him feel important and all that other nonsense.

I remember the Keith regime. He only posted on the site feedback board and rarely ventured over here.

Guest brokentusk16

Although I do think that Keith is biased towards some wrestlers (Benoit), I still find his rants entertaining. I actually think he rates some matches too high. To me, the Rock/Austin match at WM17 was NOT worth ****. Just me though.

And as for the overweight part, I'm a "husky" gentlman myself (not Mark Madden big, more of a heavier Mick Foley), so I never get on people about that. And I don't think anybody else should either.

Guest Big McLargeHuge
I dunno. I read him because it's funny but I don't really put any stock in his opinions anymore unless it is parallel with my opinion. Then I usually don't think "Hey yeah I agree with him." I think "See he agrees with ME! As well that bastard should."

Exactly. This is what everyone should do. If you think of him as any kind of authority on wrestling, then you're an idiot. They're opinion peices. Nothing else.

It's standard internet protocol. If you want to insult someone you call them fat even if you've never seen them in your life. Hell if Benoit was posting on here under a the secret name Crossface22 and pissed someone off they'd probably say "Listen here Crossface you tub of lard! You don't know what you're talking about fatty!" I know it's retarded for people who've never seen you to make jokes on the way you look. Besides most people have the great comeback "I'm not fat! I work out 5 times a day! I play every sport and am very physically fit! I do kickboxing and could kick your ass fatty!" *despite the fact they're probably lying there ass off*

Guest mach7
Kieth is not a historian. Kieth knows about what he's been alive to see, and that's it. I don't consider someone a historian if they're only knowledgable about what they've grown up watching.

Second, his thoughts on work and match quality are worthless, because he never supports anything he says. "Because I said so" should be added after every review he does because that's the general attitude he seems to write with.

His thoughts on the current wrestling business are similar. He rarely goes into detail about what a company should do to correct itself. He tells the reader "what works" and "what doesn't" but rarely does he explain why.

Generally, Kieth being a "writer" is a joke. He's a fan who happens to think he knows enough to be important and funny enough to read. Some may agree, but I don't.

Very well put Chosyu.

I echo those sentiments!

Guest AlwaysPissedOff

CRZ and Keith, I think, Justin.

On a related note: You call THAT "fat"? I don't really care for Keith that much myself, but judging from that pic, I'd hardly call him fat.

Hmm......does that look like the same guy as in that picture Scotsman had in his report? I guess with a different haircut and the goatee it could be.....

Guest areacode212
That what im talking about. Is he a fat electrical store manager, or is he a rich millionairre from Canada that has written extensively on pro-wrestling etc?

I'm not sure you realize this, but that original quote you posted from Amazon was mostly sarcasm. Scott Keith a millionaire philanthropist? The guy had an Amazon wish list! He's not exactly Doris Duke.

I'm on the SmarK mailing list, so I get my weekly share of Keith. His columns are generally pretty entertaining and well-written (especially compared to the other e-mail wrestling newsletters I get), but some aspects of his writing can get tiresome. Such as his catchphrases. Does anyone other than himself find "I love shoot comments that aren't supposed to be shoot comments" or "BONZO GONZO" the least bit amusing, the FIFTIETH time he's written it? And he tends to randomly toss out really annoying pop culture references, such as this one:

Stan Lane is sporting that Ross-and-Chandler-in-the-Thanksgiving-episode Don Johnson stubble here

He totally comes off as a poor man's Kevin Smith when he does this. Who the hell cares what he thinks of last week's episode of Friends, or his favorite hair metal ballads, or his opinions on how DC fucked up Green Lantern? Shut up, Scott Keith.

This is actually one of the reasons it's fun to laugh at SK. He comes off as incredibly pompous and all-knowing, yet he has the world's shittiest taste in pretty much everything. Check out this mailbag. Did we really need to be subjected to a detailed analysis of the song "Hole Hearted"?

Despite all that, I still enjoy reading him.

Judas was great- he was so funny

I think he writes for 411's comics site now.

Guest Pegasus Kid

On a related note: You call THAT "fat"? I don't really care for Keith that much myself, but judging from that pic, I'd hardly call him fat.

Um... that's not Scott.

Guest AlwaysPissedOff

Um... that's not Scott.

::: shrugs :::

I never claimed it was him. Personally, I don't know nor care and am amused by people who seemingly do care about what someone looks like.

:lol:

Guest art_vandelay

I got the link from another thread about SK posted a few weeks back. If it's not him then, meh...

Guest RickyChosyu

Well, that's certainly Zimmerman in the picture, so why not just e-mail the guy and ask him who the other dude is?

Might as well do it myself, I suppose.

Guest Vern Gagne

Go read King Lear, and Lazarus rants. Keith said alot of his new book is based on that.

Guest THE MIGHTY THOR

SK used to be entertaining but now he is very predictable with his reviews.

Guest converge241

Id just like to say that wrestlemaniacs was the bomb

i didnt get online until a few months before WM XV so missed out on the RSPW stuff

SK is one guy i constantly read..he seems to have a lot of the same likes and is usually entertaining

Guest Rob Edwards

Yeah I have to admit to being somewhat an SK fan despite thinking he overrates things terribly (he must have about 50+ ***** matches for gods sake)

Most don't get paid for net writing though, we tend to do it for enjoyment or publicity

Guest netslob
I think "nethog" is the telling bit.

bastard. he ripped off my screen name.

anyway, about Keith. i was a big fan of his for awhile, and i still read his stuff, but the Smarks Forum fiasco really showed me what he's made of.

bascially what happened was this: SK did away with custom titles because he was tired about everybody bitching about them. many people were upset about this and openly complained, to which SK responded by banning them left and right. i decided to stick up for my friends and wrote a post to Keith that said what i thought of him: that as a writer he's gold, but as a person he's shit. he banned me less then a minute later. this all happened just after midnight, Dec. 9th, 2001, my 21st birthday. luckily i was too drunk to give a shit.

but i'm not bitter about it...i'm NOT!!! he's just jealous that Hyatte is funnier and a better writer.

Ok I'm starting to remember that now. Was this when they did away with post counts to? And then when we'd say something about it he'd respond in an extremely condescending and degrading manner? Yes look at that picture from the scotsman book....he does look kind of arrogant. But how do you get arrogant from having a bunch of people on the internet reading your shit?