TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest fairtoflair7

Anyone know?

Guest Edwin MacPhisto

Actually, the UK single, "The Scientist," is even better.

::holds up his Andrew WK shirts to ward off saturnmark::

I'm still good, promise.

Guest Incandenza

Since this thread officially Serves No Purpose, I'd like to state that Prince's Sign O' the Times may be the best double album, ever. The White Album? Pshaw!

Guest Edwin MacPhisto

I listened to both discs today and I'm going to say Balls Yeah in agreement.

16 perfect songs. Can't think of a thing I'd change, except maybe one more instrumental set of 4 bars at the end of "I Could Never Take The Place Of Your Man."

Every time I listen to this album, it climbs higher on my list. I could seriously see it becoming my favorite album, period, with just a few more listens. Achtung Baby could use a rest.

Guest nl5xsk1

I'm glad that there's a thread that I can admit that I'm a Coldplay fan ... after the "worst band ever" thread, I was afraid that if I admitted that I dug their songs I'd be banned from the forum.

Guest CoreyLazarus416

I'd just like to say that Iced Earth's "Ghosts Of Freedom" is one of my favorite "short epic pseudo-ballads" ever.

Ah, the "short epic pseudo-ballad." I have, honestly, yet to hear a single bad one. Nevermore - "Believe In Nothing." Shadows Fall - "The Art Of Balance." Metallica - "Fade To Black" and "Welcome Home (Sanitarium)." Slayer - "Seasons In The Abyss." Iron Maiden - "Dream Of Mirrors." Iced Earth - "Ghosts Of Freedom." And a track or two of off Black Label Society's 1919 Eternal album.

Guest The Amazing Rando

"Welcome Home(Sanitarium)" was the song that got me into Metallica...as I used it as an e-fed theme back when I barely listened to music outside what was on the radio...

that was one of the songs that made me expand my CD collection to the over 400 it is now...

Guest Anorak

Bonnie Prince Billy's new record is the best album of 2003 so far.

I was off work today so I listened to the following.....

Tom Waits: 'Rain Dogs'

Pixies: 'Doolittle'

Red Star Belgrade: 'The Fractured Hymnal'

Bonnie Prince Billy: 'I See A Darkness

The Jam: 'Sound Affects'

Quicker than the old 'shit you listened to' thread option but without the nice pictures.

I also watched Top Of The Pops tonight and was amazed to see The Wildhearts are still going, I thought their 168th breakup was the last. Audioslave were on as well in an almost 'Kerrang' themed part of the show, I didn't think that much to the song but Chris Cornell is still a very cool frontman.

Guest Agent of Oblivion
Ah, the "short epic pseudo-ballad." I have, honestly, yet to hear a single bad one. Nevermore - "Believe In Nothing." Shadows Fall - "The Art Of Balance." Metallica - "Fade To Black" and "Welcome Home (Sanitarium)." Slayer - "Seasons In The Abyss." Iron Maiden - "Dream Of Mirrors." Iced Earth - "Ghosts Of Freedom." And a track or two of off Black Label Society's 1919 Eternal album.

Wow. I fucking hate every single song you listed there, aside from the Slayer track, which doesn't belong in that list at all, and the Shadows Fall track, which I've never heard. The metal ballad might possibly be my most hated type of song ever, as they try to emphasize melody and take away from all the aggression that makes metal great. The only exception to this that I can think of is Cemetary Gates, which I'd still put in the lower half of Pantera's catalogue.

Guest Edwin MacPhisto

So, is the Pantera "Cemetary Gates" anything like The Smiths' "Cemetary Gates"?

My guess is no. My hope is yes.

Guest Edwin MacPhisto

If there's one thing that album cover makes me think, it's "don't plagiarize."

Guest Eyeball Kid

I dare someone to find a shittier cover than that. And I've recently seen a whole bunch of shitty covers lately, and NONE of them beat that.

Guest Kinetic

As far as double albums go, I'd take London Calling and Blonde on Blonde over The White Album any old day of the week. Those two also have the added bonus of being short enough to fit on a single CD, thus eliminating the hassle involved in changing discs. Being There is nice, too. I've not heard the Prince album, unfortunately, and will perhaps be forced to refrain from doing so until after Basic Training, lest the flamboyance and sexual ambiguity rubs off on me and causes me to be mistaken for a homosexual.

Guest Kinetic

I took the oath today and was sworn in, by the way. I thought it was funny that, in the rule book of the military, there's a paragraph about desertion, treason, etc., and TWO PAGES about being a homosexual. If you admit to finding a man attractive, you can be court martialed and lynched.

Basic Training starts whenever they find a job for me to do. It could be this month or it could be later. You choose the career field you want to go into and they wait for an opening. Due to the war, I'm trying my best to avoid combat-related career fields.

Guest Eyeball Kid

Yeah, you picked a helluva time to sign up.

Well, back to the double album issue, it's hard for me to consider something like Blonde on Blonde a double album now, due to its fitting on one CD. Same with London Calling.

Being There could fit on one CD now, but it wasn't until recently I realized that it wasn't until a three or so years ago that you could fit 80 minutes on one disc. When Being There came out in '96, I believe that max was 74 or 75 minutes. As for Sign O' the Times, it runs 80:06, making it six seconds over the current limit, but five or six minutes over the old limit.

Guest Edwin MacPhisto

The Zwan album is improved, however, by the fact that you get a set of equally repulsive stickers inside the jewel case.

I'm thinking about putting them on my nipples and going around campus shirtless tomorrow.

Guest Kotzenjunge

All right! A general "something about music you felt like saying" thread!

I've only started listening to Nappy Roots as of two days ago, and I'm liking it a lot.

Guest treble charged

A quote from my Politics professor:

'Tom Waits, some people consider him a musician.'

Guest Agent of Oblivion
e91114igvou.jpg

Hilarious.

HAHAHAHAHA. Pre-Anselmo Pantera deserves to be laughed at heartily. Their cheese metal era is truly frightening, and yes, the cat person holding a sword transcends normal reactions.

Guest Eyeball Kid
A quote from my Politics professor:

'Tom Waits, some people consider him a musician.'

Context?

Guest treble charged

We were watching a clip from some movie and the professor mentioned that he had a cameo in the film, before saying that.

Guest saturnmark4life
Actually, the UK single, "The Scientist," is even better.

::holds up his Andrew WK shirts to ward off saturnmark::

I'm still good, promise.

You're lucky you have those shirts.